It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 989.htm
<< 986  987  988    990  991  992 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

www.bloomberg.com...

By Tsuyoshi Inajima and Yuji Okada - Jul 28, 2011 1:55 AM PT
The head of the oversight committee for Tokyo Electric Power Co. said a possible separation of the utility’s electricity distribution and generation units will be part of the probe into the company’s structure and assets.
The committee will “thoroughly examine systems that regulators haven’t touched for a long time” including separation of Tepco’s distribution and generation operations, Kazuhiko Shimokobe, the chairman of the panel investigating the utility’s finances, told reporters in Tokyo today...
www.bloomberg.com...

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Third US nuclear official rejects quick overhaul

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46pm EDT
* Three of five NRC commissioners agree on slower approach
* Effectively kills Jaczko plan for rapid decisions
* Ostendorff-"significant reservations" on shift in rules
www.reuters.com...

This not so good

edit on 28-7-2011 by rbrtj because: added info without a new reply

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Cesium 134 in Seawater

Levels of cesium-134 in seawater near the Fukushima plant's reactor 3 rose to levels 30 times the allowed safety standards last week, according to tests performed by Tokyo Electric Power Co., NHK reported.

search.japantimes.co.jp...

Gone for two weeks - come back to reality and it totally sucks!!

I watched the latest Arnie video...and he is sad. He's been very serious, thoughtful and concerned throughout this whole nightmare in every video. He knows what the hell radiation is and what it does. And it is obvious that even with all his years of experience...the worst has happened...and he is having a hard time comprehending it...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
News Releases By Date

CORRECTION: UPDATED – please note the addition of “hundreds of thousands” in the second and sixth paragraphs Radiation Monitors Continue to Confirm That No Radiation Levels of Concern Have Reached the United States

Release date: 03/22/2011

Contact Information: EPA Press Office press@epa.gov

WASHINGTON – During a detailed analysis of four west coast RadNet air monitor filters, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) identified trace amounts of radioactive iodine, cesium, and tellurium consistent with the Japanese nuclear incident. These levels are consistent with the levels found by a Department of Energy monitor last week and are to be expected in the coming days. EPA’s samples were captured by three monitors in California and one in Washington State on Friday, March 18 and sent to EPA scientists for detailed laboratory analysis. The data was reviewed over the weekend and the analysis was completed Monday night. The radiation levels detected on the filters from California and Washington monitors are hundreds of thousands to millions of times below levels of concern. In addition, last night preliminary monitor results in Hawaii detected minuscule levels of an isotope that is also consistent with the Japanese nuclear incident. This detection varies from background and historical data in Hawaii. This isotope was detected at our fixed monitor in Hawaii, and it is far below any level of concern for human health. The sampling filter from this monitor is being sent to our national radiation lab for further analysis. In a typical day, Americans receive doses of radiation from natural sources like rocks, bricks and the sun that are about 100,000 times higher than what we have detected coming from Japan. For example, the levels we’re seeing coming from Japan are 100,000 times lower than what you get from taking a roundtrip international flight. EPA is in the process of conducting detailed filter analyses for fixed monitors located in Oregon. EPA’s RadNet filter results for San Francisco, Seattle, Riverside and Anaheim, California detected minuscule quantities of iodine isotopes and other radioactive particles that pose no health concern at the detected levels. Below are the results of the detailed filter analysis. All of the radiation levels detected during the detailed filter analysis are hundreds of thousands to millions of times below levels of concern. All units are in Picocuries per meter cubed. - Filter results for Anaheim, Calif. found: Cesium-137: 0.0017 Tellurium-132: 0.012 Iodine-132: 0.0095 Iodine-131: 0.046 - Filter results for Riverside, Calif. found: Cesium-137: 0.00024 Tellurium-132: 0.0014 Iodine-132: 0.0015 Iodine-131: 0.011 - Filter results for Seattle, Wash. found: Cesium-137: 0.00045 Tellurium-132: 0.0034 Iodine-132: 0.0029 Iodine-131: 0.013 - Filter results for San Francisco, Calif. found: Cesium-137: 0.0013 Tellurium-132: 0.0075 Iodine-132: 0.0066 Iodine-131: 0.068 EPA’s RadNet system is designed to protect the public by notifying scientists, in near real time, of elevated levels of radiation so they can determine whether protective action is required. In addition, an analysis of the filters in the monitors can identify even the smallest trace amounts of specific radioactive isotopes. As part of the federal government’s continuing effort to make our activities and science transparent and available to the public, EPA will continue to keep RadNet data available at
www.epa.gov...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Welcome back, been wondering about the sea rad levels, but have not got through the pile on my desk.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

89,697 becquerels...Radioactive Sludge

A total of 1,557 tons in 5 prefectures, including Fukushima and Miyagi, was found to contain 8,000 or more becquerels per kilogram. This sludge is too radioactive to be buried for disposal.

The most contaminated sludge, with 89,697 becquerels per kilogram, was discovered at a water treatment facility in Koriyama City, Fukushima.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

The radioactive water treatment system has done such a fabulous job!!

Now need to devise a sludge treatment facility.

I do have to give the Japanese credit for divulging this information and just covering it with a tarp in the interim. There seems to be some conscientiousness going on. Maybe even the super rich in Japan are getting concerned that they may have to leave their country forever.

Some kids are being removed:
search.japantimes.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

This is what I was very afraid of, thankyou for the report.

can you find out if the plant has a self contained sewer system and if they produce sludge or do hook to the regional system?

edit on 28-7-2011 by rbrtj because: added info without a new reply

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Did any of you catch this?
Japan's beef is radiated and people all over Japan have been eating it.

wireupdate.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
This PDF below is an important document from 1974 as it is the basis for the radiation standards.

One of the people who commented on this article at enenews 60 million curies of radiation released from Fukushima — 50 million curies at Chernobyl - June 13th say they worked in the Emergency Medical Response/HAZMAT section at Naval Weapons and was exposed to hot particles as part of their work. They now have cancer and only one lung. They point to this article from 1974 by the NRDC which describes the level necessary to develop cancer (0.2 microcuries or 3 micrgrammes of Pu239) and how many doses of Pu239 are likely to be produced(10 to the power of 17) by 2020. This is from an estimated 200 million kilogrammes of Pu239 produced by then. The report suggests this is an underestimate.

The article in PDF form

NRDC 1974 report on the inadequacy of existing radiation protection standards for hot particles

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

New Drive to Find More Fukushima Reactor Information

We have all done incredibly well in bringing out the facts about this situation, and occasionally we need a bit of encouragement to renew our efforts (at least I do anyway).

We are still producing new and useful posts on many sides of the discussion and really, I think nothing is wasted as it all plants seeds in minds and later these seeds will be sparked and new avenues of investigation will arise. Now I think we need to have another look at where our information could come from.

I think we should try to find more people who can provide us with some answers. For example, we have people in Japan who could ask the company who did the first unmanned aircraft fly-over, if they are planning another one?

There maybe sources in Japanese which we may have overlooked and can be translated into english to provide us with extra information. We can look at other countries nuclear power authorities to find out how they are reacting or whether they have produced their own reports on the situation with their own comments.

We can send emails to people who are going out there (such as Prof Tim Professor Mousseau who is going out to Japan to do a comparative study against Chernobyl where he has been studying the environment and wildlife). Sometimes this actually works to bring the data to the public view. We can send emails to newspapers which have reported on more controversial Fukushima facts.

In our capacity as "freelance writers" we can ask questions of public or university figures and post their replies here. There are lots of things we can do to get "expert" opinions and to get other organisations to see how they could get extra publicity for their companies if they published some photographs or news articles.

Actually, we have access to many resources that we dont realise, due to the diverse disciplines in which we all work or have knowledge. We can use our contacts and friends to garner information which may help our overall understanding. We may have friends or aquaintances who can put pressure on organisations to help release information or maybe nuclear workers could 'unofficially' point to a useful source. This is not spying, but gathering all the information we can about a subject and ATS people do it extremely well when organised and concentrated to one task.

Keep up the good work and dont give up searching for new info.
Q

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog I know from looking at all the daily rad reports rbtji provided they are very very very consistent - too consistent to account for weather and wind.

That is strange. Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure what to make of it, other than it cant be real. Hmmmm? More to think about.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Gone for two weeks - come back to reality and it totally sucks!!

I watched the latest Arnie video...and he is sad. He's been very serious, thoughtful and concerned throughout this whole nightmare in every video. He knows what the hell radiation is and what it does. And it is obvious that even with all his years of experience...the worst has happened...and he is having a hard time comprehending it...

Welcome back PC. It sucks but we are going to make it better, yes?

I don't know if you saw this. Its very powerful but sad. Except that it shows people respectfully demanding their rights. The guy at the end is incredible. In a smaller but still powerful way it's like the guy who stood in front of the tanks at Tienanmen Square. His strength of spirit gives me feelings of hope.

enenews.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ren1999

Yes we did I posted an update on the previous page www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

TEPCO to extract air from troubled reactors

The operator of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says it will extract air from troubled reactors at the plant to measure the amount of radioactive substances. The work is part of efforts to curb the amount of radioactivity released into the atmosphere. Up to around one billion becquerels of radioactive substances are believed to be released every hour from reactors No.1, 2 and 3. It is not known how accurate this figure is because it was worked out by taking readings of the air on the plant's premises. Tokyo Electric Power Company plans to extract air inside the containment vessels of the reactors through pipes. The extracted air will be analyzed by a device set up on the first floor of the reactor buildings. The operation is intended to obtain accurate data on what kind of radioactive substances are being released and in what quantity. The air extraction is expected to begin later on Friday for the No.1 reactor and in early August for the No.2 unit. No plans have been decided for the No.3 reactor due to high radiation levels in part of its building. TEPCO hopes the findings may also help the company grasp the extent of leakage of nuclear fuels into the containment vessels. Under the second phase of its plan to stabilize the plant, TEPCO aims to minimize the release of nuclear materials and bring the reactors to a stable state called a cold shutdown over the next 6 months. Friday, July 29, 2011 09:43 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Up to around one billion becquerels of radioactive substances are believed to be released every hour from reactors No.1, 2 and 3.

edit on 29-7-2011 by rbrtj because: removed content that was already posted by someone else oops

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo

New Drive to Find More Fukushima Reactor Information

We have all done incredibly well in bringing out the facts about this situation, and occasionally we need a bit of encouragement to renew our efforts (at least I do anyway).

We are still producing new and useful posts on many sides of the discussion and really, I think nothing is wasted as it all plants seeds in minds and later these seeds will be sparked and new avenues of investigation will arise. Now I think we need to have another look at where our information could come from.

I think we should try to find more people who can provide us with some answers. For example, we have people in Japan who could ask the company who did the first unmanned aircraft fly-over, if they are planning another one?

There maybe sources in Japanese which we may have overlooked and can be translated into english to provide us with extra information. We can look at other countries nuclear power authorities to find out how they are reacting or whether they have produced their own reports on the situation with their own comments.

We can send emails to people who are going out there (such as Prof Tim Professor Mousseau who is going out to Japan to do a comparative study against Chernobyl where he has been studying the environment and wildlife). Sometimes this actually works to bring the data to the public view. We can send emails to newspapers which have reported on more controversial Fukushima facts.

In our capacity as "freelance writers" we can ask questions of public or university figures and post their replies here. There are lots of things we can do to get "expert" opinions and to get other organisations to see how they could get extra publicity for their companies if they published some photographs or news articles.

Actually, we have access to many resources that we dont realise, due to the diverse disciplines in which we all work or have knowledge. We can use our contacts and friends to garner information which may help our overall understanding. We may have friends or aquaintances who can put pressure on organisations to help release information or maybe nuclear workers could 'unofficially' point to a useful source. This is not spying, but gathering all the information we can about a subject and ATS people do it extremely well when organised and concentrated to one task.

Keep up the good work and dont give up searching for new info.
Q

Right on, Q, right on.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
can you find out if the plant has a self contained sewer system and if they produce sludge or do hook to the regional system?

I looked around for an answer to that question and couldnt find anything. Id like to know that too. I assumed that a nuclear plant would be forced to process sewage on site, and thought that was what the two aerator looking tanks at far south end were. But not so sure now.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj

TEPCO to extract air from troubled reactors

Up to around one billion becquerels of radioactive substances are believed to be released every hour from reactors No.1, 2 and 3.

That would equal 2.88 TRILLION bq (or 2.88 TBq) in the last 120 days, not accounting for the fact that the releases would have been orders of magnitude higher in the first week. This number seems low to me (even though on the surface it seems alarming), and they are not admitting what the alpha and beta levels are.

For comparison the total atmospheric release is estimated at 5200 PBq (Chernobyl), PBq=10*15th Bq, TBq=10*12th Bq.

My guess is we surpassed Chernobyl quite some time ago.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
This is one of the biggest Problem, this whole Tepco Story is hiding
behind the Curtain of the Unknown,
so we can use only the Radiation Data from the Honshu Mainland!

I think we all knew from the beginning that this is not a Story with a Happy End!

As far as i can see Fukushima has his own Water Treatment.

This Sludge become a big Problem.
NHK showed a few days ago a big area with big Blue Balls covered in Sheets of Plastic!
edit on 29-7-2011 by Human0815 because: format

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
The 4pipe Exhaust Stack

Now it's time to tackle the south end of the plant. This is possibly the biggest mystery of all, one that only makes sense with the inclusion of greater activity at this nuke plant than represented by what is known. It's centered around the building circled in the diagram. This is the area that I'm 99.99% sure is the area being lit up at night, and the lights are either on this building or behind it, mounted on the L shaped building behind it and illuminating the small building. Since this building uses 2 of the exhaust stack pipes, and has other exhaust pipes coming into it, I refer to it as the Exhaust House (EH).

diagram #1) Suspected layout of the UC.

photo 1) The layout of the exhaust stack with 4 pipes.

photo 2 and 3) View from other side with tsunami hitting or leaving. Note the ship in the background. Gives an eerie feeling of ocean ocean everywhere.

diagram #2) Is in Japanese. If someone could translate this it might help know what the Tepco company line is concerning the 4stack.

photo 4 and 5) Overhead shots of the EH. #5 shows tsunami height and damage not caused by the tsunami.

photo 6 and 7) EH damage, could be tsunami, R4 blast or UC blast, or all of the above. This area was roped off from day one, and no one is allowed on the other side of the barricade. Yet rad readings posted by Tepco show little radiation. However, this is also the area that records the highest water transfer pipe radiation (see below). Hmmmm?

Also note the lighting in the center of the picture. This isn't the lighting in use now, which would be bigger lamps. This was the lighting we saw in June and half July.

photo 8, 9 and 10) photos of BWR nuke plants with similar output or greater output as Fuku units 1-4. All reactors have either a dedicated stack, share a stack, or use only a small stack. No plant has a side exhaust unit with multiple pipes.

Kashiwazaki-Kariwa

Onagawa

Daini

diagram #3) All plant radiation surveys show the water transfer pipe near the EH as the hottest water in town. And I believe this reading was before they started transferring reactor basement water to this area. But that can't be right. Hmmmm?

Anyway, at the end of the day, 4stack or EH, it's all just one more Fuku mystery to be solved by the Hardy boys.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Something just occurred to me about the exhaust house. Look at photo #7 above. The walls are gone and what's left inside. Nothing. What did they use this place for? All I can come up with is exhaust pipes coming up from underground, somewhere out of site. In other words the building is nothing more than a shield to keep from seeing where the pipes go. It's a possibility.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Fukushima Teacher Muzzled on Radiation Risks 28Jul11

As temperatures soared to 100 degrees Fahrenheit on a recent July morning, school children in Fukushima prefecture were taking off their masks and running around playgrounds in T-shirts, exposing them to a similar amount of annual radiation as a worker in a nuclear power plant.

Toshinori Shishido, a Japanese literature teacher of 25 years, had warned his students two months ago to wear surgical masks and keep their skin covered with long-sleeved shirts. His advice went unheeded, not because of the weather but because his school told him not to alarm students. Shishido quit this week.

and just so that we have these documented
may 8 sewage treatment plant testing details with readings

national county radiation report 24jul2011

zworld - I know you say that you are 99% sure the lights come from near to the EH, however, the ones in the images I posted on the last page showed that the lights are to the right of the #3 tower which makes them behind #4 reactor (and the EH too) and on the other side of the 'road'. What do you think after looking again at the images? I might be mistaken due to the perspective of the camera position.

top topics

<< 986  987  988    990  991  992 >>

join