It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 980.htm
<< 977  978  979    981  982  983 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Underground Complex post #4

The following concerns the radiation surveys around the plant. In the very beginning the highest readings were found in the area around the 1/2 SY. For over two weeks, the single highest reading came from a piece of debris behind and upslope from the SY with a reading of 500 mSv/h. The only other triple digit readings were 160 directly in front of the SY, 300 and 120 between the SY and R3, and 110 between R3 and R2. All other readings close to R3 were between 6 and 50.

A week later they did another survey and all readings from 3.31 are included in the 4.7 survey except the reading of 500 from behind SY. Why was this removed.

Then on April 23rd the most radioactive debris found anywhere in the plant at that time was found in the switching yard. The following is the news story from NHK.

TEPCO: Highly radioactive concrete fragment found

The operator of the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says that concrete debris emitting a high level of radiation has been found near the Number 3 reactor.

Tokyo Electric Power Company, or TEPCO, says its workers detected radioactivity of 900 millisieverts per hour being emitted from a 30-by-30 centimeter concrete fragment, 5 centimeters thick, on Wednesday.

The workers were using heavy equipment to remove rubble near the electrical switchyard.

TEPCO says the workers were exposed to 3.17 millisieverts of radiation during the clean-up and the concrete block has been stored safely in a container with other debris.

The utility believes the contaminated fragment could be part of debris scattered across the compound as a result of a hydrogen explosion at the Number 3 reactor.
April 24 www3.nhk.or.jp...

This radioactive block of concrete was found prior to 4/24, the date of the story, and most likely from the day before, when the latest survey was done. However, this find isn't listed on the survey map. And since Tepco can't be trusted to tell the truth, we will never know the exact whereabouts of any of the contamination found in the switching yard or west up slope from it. That they even mentioned the switching yard is probably frowned on now.

The high levels of radiation continue in the switching yard around the 1/2 SY building. The June 4th survey shows the second piece of highly radioactive debris they found, and place it between R3 and 1/2 SY;

To give an idea how radioactive these pieces of concrete are, it would kill most at 4 hours exposure, and all at 6 hours. Alsoto note is the high radiation levels in the soil behind the SY. This isn't debris, it's radiation left behind after debris is removed.

In future posts I will go into detail concerning the 1/2 SY debris field, the CSFP, and the 4 stack exhaust pipe.
edit on 19-7-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

I-131 is still being emitted from the plant

This is very unusual. They are detecting levels of I-131 in water treatment plants, and in some cases these levels exceed levels of cesium being found by a large amount. This can't be right. They shouldn't be finding any iodine at all this long after the accident, unless criticality is continuing somewhere. With a half life of 8 days, any caused by the initial meltdowns would be gone by now. Wow. Somethings still cooking inside the Fuku beast.

translate.google.com...://www.gesui.metro.tokyo.jp/oshi/infn0 533.htm

ZW, allow me to ask a really stupid question. A while back I remember reading a story that radioactive water leaked from Unit 5 and was pumped and stored. Could Unit 5 still be cranking out water containing I-131? I know Tepco said Unit 5 is in "cold shutdown" but these folks wouldn't know the truth if it came up and bit them in the leg!! What's the chances of either Unit 5 or 6 still being active?

I told ya, really stupid question.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by VisionsOfMann

Its impossible to say, but Im really hoping not. Then again the explanation of groundwater producing the radiation found in R6 has never really worked for me. But it's doubtful.

There could be ongoing criticality occurring that we dont know about in R3 as there was MOX fuel being used and if I remember correctly 50 pounds of plutonium is enough to get a nuclear reaction, and there is much more than that in the corium blob in 3. It would be a case of a reaction happening, the blob reforming, another reaction happening. Plutonium doesn't need a neutron moderator to go critical. But periodic criticality like that as I understand it would be hard to miss. And the I-131 has been steadily dropping (according to Tepco) as one would expect with no more fission occurring. So it's anybodies guess. But at the end of the day we must assume that almost anything is possible since Tepco is our only source for information and they aren't about to tell us the truth.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
US nuclear regulators seek public, industry opinions
Reuters
Jaczko wants the NRC to provide clear direction to industry on changes within 90 days on the rules that are being remade in response to Japan's Fukushima nuclear power disaster. The regulator and industry would then implement the changes within five ...
www.reuters.com...

U.S. nuclear regulators question recommended reforms

(Reuters) - The head of the U.S. nuclear safety regulator wants a quick and sweeping overhaul of the rules governing the nuclear power industry but his fellow commissioners said on Tuesday they want to first hear from the industry and the public.
www.reuters.com...

"IMPORTANT, BUT EARLY STEP" To make changes, Jaczko must secure votes from the majority of the four commissioners appointed to the NRC.

Time to send your comments to the NRC

edit on 19-7-2011 by rbrtj because: because: added info without a new reply

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
wow look at the Live cam right now !?!? www.tepco.co.jp...

Loads of smoke just came out from nowhere, it was pretty clear like 15mins ago !
and now, Nothing ! :O

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

Suggestion: Anyone wanting to give feedback to the NRC about its post-Fukushima strategies should begin by reading the following critical analysis of that NRC document by a team from Friends of the Earth:

foe.org...

The "Friends of the Earth" analysis was conducted by Arjun Makhijani, PhD, an electrical and nuclear engineer, who is president of the Institute of Energy and Environmental Research. It specifies a number of crucial shortcomings in the NSC's post-Fukushima strategies.
edit on 7/19/2011 by Uphill because: Updated the link.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uphill
reply to post by rbrtj

Suggestion: Anyone wanting to give feedback to the NRC about its post-Fukushima strategies should begin by reading the following critical analysis of that NRC document by a team from Friends of the Earth:

foe.org...

The "Friends of the Earth" analysis was conducted by Arjun Makhijani, PhD, an electrical and nuclear engineer, who is president of the Institute of Energy and Environmental Research. It specifies a number of crucial shortcomings in the NSC's post-Fukushima strategies.
edit on 7/19/2011 by Uphill because: Updated the link.

Thank you for bringing this to light
This is definitely something to read and consider.
My stomach is still ill from it.
foe.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

Windy and foggy at the cam now.
They / We dodged a bullet.

edit on 19-7-2011 by rbrtj because: update

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
www.tepco.co.jp...

Clearing up and see pretty well now.
Sure glad the typhoon stayed out to sea until it passed below Tokyo.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Made a mistake on the diagram posted earlier. It meant to say "Common Spent Fuel Pool either there or underground below it".

I didn't mean to convey that I believed all SF was somewhere else. Even if the UC is real, and radioactive materials are being enriched, the source doesn't have to be Fukushima 1 necessarily. Acquiring spent fuel in a country with more nuke plants per square mile than any where else is probably not too difficult.

And it made me think that I should explain what Im doing. My interest in the possibility of an underground complex does not overshadow my concern for the disaster that has already transpired and that we know about for sure. But as an environmental investigator I must consider all possibilities, even those no one else will look at, if there is a chance they may be affecting the environment and life within that environment.

As an example, when researching a pesticide project, I usually leave the obvious points to others. They put together the case concerning the active ingredient (AI). I look for anything else, and have uncovered through the years numerous issues that were previously never addressed, for instance, how surfactants used in these sprays are many times (1000x) more toxic than the AI.

With Fukushima, no one should ever loose sight of the toxicity already released, and that will be released, that will affect earth and it's inhabitants for 1000s of years. That is the baseline. At the same time, it's only a part of the puzzle I am convinced, and the whole puzzle needs to be put together for both us and future generations to learn from.

I just wanted to make that clear.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

CRMT- connectingdots1 finds Dangerous Radioactive rain in Lake Louise,BC (1.66 mcSv/hr)

This is the Fallout from Fukushima in the Canadian rockies being at a higher alt, it went from a med high reading at Victoria to Dangerous Background radiation level, where 1.2 was leave the area. This is in the rain water.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlaskanDad
Japan Should Have Nuclear Weapons: Ishihara

---
Nuclear energy is inexpensive if managed well,”

This just sums up so much I barely know where to begin.

It's the firm belief of folks everywhere isn't it? And it's so totally and completely WRONG.

1. It's not inexpensive. In fact when you take in the whole lifecycle from mining to decommissioning and storage plus subsidies and construction costs it's the most expensive power there is. On top of this it is not sustainable. It is based on a limited resource, uranium which is already reaching peak.

2. it CANT be managed well. Humans ARE NOT CAPABLE of doing this. We THINK we can. Nuke engineers and physicists are so entranced with the challenge and potential they can't see the futility of their actions. It's an irresistible sexy siren calling them... "if only we [insert fashionable solution here] it would make it totally safe". Eventually all foolsafe systems outlive the fools. The crime is in underestimating the power of these mini-suns we are creating on earth and how they will outlive us and our entire civilizations.

Why are these two things so difficult to grasp? BECAUSE THE MATH IS SO COMPELLING, the REWARDS AND NEED SO GREAT. We must begin to see beyond this chimera and find solutions that sustain themselves.
edit on 19-7-2011 by Wertwog because: goofy Tepco... those silly boyz.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Wow, I had it totally wrong everybody. I just saw an old video from Tepco and it all makes sense now. First off, the southern complex centralized waste treatment facility (CWT) is perfectly explainable.

See. They didn't know at first there was going to be like all this waste stuff that needed storing or incinerating, and as soon as they figured this out they started working on the CWT. Thats why it was built later.

And it can get rid of all kinds of bad stuff, like this stuff being put into drums.

And this is why they need four exhaust stacks just for this area. So that settles that. And as far as protecting workers, we were wrong there too.

I mean, come on. How many US employers care this much about their workers. None I tell you. We're forced to wear whatever we come in with. Makes you wonder about OSHA huh?

And we were all wrong about the potential for radiation hurting us.

See. And the plants been good for everyone.

So it's time to just put all this paranoid talk of danger to bed. OK.

Damn, I feel better now. In fact, if I lived in Japan I'd move to the new retirement home they're putting in next to the plant. Fukushima Shores Retirement Community is I think the name. Ill look into it.

And a joyous day it was.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

as i am with others... i'm glad you're here, & doing what you do... thank you, zworld

this whole damn thing is really really getting to me now... i find i'm taking longer periods of time out from it because it's so frustrating & depressing, & not really having anyone to discuss it with

having said that, it's never away from my mind for long, & that's how it should be... i'm not one to bury my head in the sand

every wildlife/nature documentary i watch on my bf's tv (i don't have one) is extra painful now, because i see them with the effects of fukushima in my mind

yesterday on his tv, i watched a guy release a young sea-turtle into the ocean... as he was carrying it towards, & into the first waves it was flapping it's front fins/legs (?) more & more excitedly in anticipation... was a bright blue ocean & sunny sky... a truly beautiful moment, but brought tears to my eyes too

these crimes against the planet have made me super-aware & appreciate the beauty of nature even more than previously... kinda like my sensitivity to it's turned up a few notches - more "colourful" somehow... hard to explain really... i appreciate it, but it makes me so sad at the same time

sorry for waffling on, but it kinda feels like i live in a different world sometimes, & here's the only place i feel i may be heard & fully understood... you guys rock

& on that note, i thank you all yet again

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
OK , well I suddenly realised that we did not have an image of the whole compound or area around the reactors. Yes, we have diagrams but only satellite images of different parts, mainly focusing on the 4 reactors. So I decided to make up a composite to show as much as we have so far. This comes from Digital Globe I think and is manually stitched together as best I could. If someone would like to have another go please do, as anything that helps us to understand the situation better is good...

The other thing I have done which I hope will be useful is to overlay the image of the 4 damaged reactors on the electricity diagram. This shows which buildings are the receiving buildings for power etc.

And finally two thoughts occurred to me
1) I look at the tepco camera and then I look at the images of the site and I really cannot see anywhere similar to the view we see through the camera. Now, I dont think there is any conspiracy, but I cannot match up the two things. Please can someone have a look and tell me where are the 3 pipes on the left and the walkway on the right. I have tried to line up the corner of #1 and the camera, or the camera and the smoke/exhaust tower and #2 but I cannot find the walkway etc. I suspect it is in line with the shadow of the cooling smoke/exhaust tower.

2) The three yellow arrows point to coloured marks on the photo I think. There are a couple more outside of this crop of the image. Someone has marked these points for a reason and in different colours too. If they are not marks made by someone, then they are something on the goround (or coming out of the ground!). Any ideas?

better quality versions
Composite Daiichi 1-6 reactors (1.8Mb) (the best is 16Mb if you really want it!)

Power diagram of Reactors 1-4 with photo overlay (1.2Mb)

I see they have some kind of a cover over #4 now too.

edit on 20-7-2011 by qmantoo because: cover on 4

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Cheers for that.

The red blotch plus other ones most noticeable in the sea are likely hot pixels on the image sensor, from space radiation and lifetime usage.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Ex Japanese Nuclear Regulator Blames Radioactive Animal Feed on "Black Rain".
New video of Arnie Gunderson for current bad situation ..

"While many radioactive cattle have been discovered large distances from Fukushima, what is more important is where their feed is coming from. "It's not only about the radioactive cattle in Fukushima Prefecture; its also about the radioactive straw the cattle eat that was grown elsewhere". Straw found 45 miles from Fukushima is highly contaminated with radioactive cesium, which is an indication that radiation has contaminated large portions of Northern Japan. More than half a million disintegration per second in a kilogram of straw are comparable to Chernobyl levels. This proves that the American Nuclear Regulatory Commission was correct when it told Americans to evacuate beyond 50 miles and that the Japanese should have done the same. An Ex-Secretariat of Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission blames this contamination on "Black Rain". Rather than minimize the information the Japanese people receive, Gundersen suggests minimizing their radiation exposure."

"The government and Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Tuesday they have successfully achieved consistent and stable cooling of the reactors at the Fukushima No. 1 plant and will by mid-January reduce the amount of radioactive materials being released."
But only No.1 plant ..

search.japantimes.co.jp...

www.nnistar.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

Thanks pattonisit.

I know what you mean. Ive stopped even trying to get acquaintances to stay interested. They aren't and tha'ts that. Thank god for here.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Q, I cant find the spot where the cam is either. Nothing in the aerials fits the image we see in the cam.

No idea on the colored spots either.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
mainichi.jp...

Google translation is hard to understand, but this page was translated by someone in Japan to read that Tepco is considering moving the undamaged spent fuel rods to the common pool. Someone needs to get ahold of Tepco and remind them that the common pool IS LOADED TO THE BRIM ALREADY. Unless of course it isn't and there is plenty of room which brings up the question, where are the other rods Tepco, huh?

And here we were thinking that Tepco should try and remove all SF from all pools if they can, and get them to a secure site. looks like that idea will never happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 977  978  979    981  982  983 >>

join