It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 966.htm
<< 963  964  965    967  968  969 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Tellurium 132 was detected in the Marianas Islands/Guam at the end of March.

Tellurium 132 only has a life of 100 hours, only found after reactors go critical. The US EPA ceased publicizing data of what they detect in the Marianas (CNMI) and Guam after they detected Tellurium.

www.epa.gov...

Scroll down to the bottom and look at the filter/cartridge sampling data.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is one of the best and honest articles that I have seen in awhile.

Fukushima Spews, Los Alamos Burns, Vermont Rages & We Almost Lost Nebraska
June 29, 2011
By Harvey Wasserman

Humankind is now threatened by the simultaneous implosion, explosion, incineration, courtroom contempt and drowning of its most lethal industry.

We know only two things for certain: worse is yet to come, and those in charge are lying about it—at least to the extent of what they actually know, which is nowhere near enough.

Indeed, the assurances from the nuke power industry continue to flow like the floodwaters now swamping the Missouri Valley heartland.

But major breakthroughs have come from a Pennsylvania Senator and New York’s Governor on issues of evacuation and shut-down. And a public campaign for an end to loan guarantees could put an end to the US industry once and for all.

FUKUSHIMA: The bad news continues to bleed from Japan with no end in sight. The “light at the end of the tunnel” is an out-of-control radioactive freight train, headed to the core of an endangered planet.

More at the link..

hawaiinewsdaily.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
One more from the same paper..

TEPCO Plans Dangerous Liquid Nitrogen Injections at Fukushima Reactor 2
June 26, 2011
By Tom Burnett

NHK is reporting that Tokyo Electric Power Company is planning to begin nitrogen injections into Fukushima’s Number 2 reactor containment vessel.

Earlier this week, TEPCO tried to fill the reactor 2 containment with water. That did not work. So they OPENED the containment and released BILLIONS of lethal doses of radiation. Now they are wondering whether there is any water left in the bottom of the containment.

More at the link.

hawaiinewsdaily.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Ripples

“THROW yourself into a nuclear reactor and die!” one investor shouted. Japanese shareholders are usually more polite, but this was the annual meeting of TEPCO, the Japanese power company that owns the Fukushima nuclear plant. Since an earthquake in March caused a meltdown, TEPCO faces unlimited demands for compensation. Its shares have fallen by nearly 90% (see chart). A man at the meeting on June 28th suggested that the board take responsibility by committing seppuku, or ritual suicide.

I'll forgive the slight gaff of only mentioning "a" meltdown. We here all know that it was several along with the radioactive releases from the SFPs.

Only the government can save TEPCO from bankruptcy. A bill submitted on June 14th to the Diet, Japan’s parliament, aims to enable the firm to pay compensation without going under. It would establish a mechanism for the government to channel truckloads of money to TEPCO, which the firm would then pass on to the victims. This would be repaid from TEPCO’s earnings, with help from other nuclear operators. The new entity could purchase TEPCO assets.

Sounds like more of the same old and an additional level of bearucracy with it's associated lackeys and hangers on. Not what is needed if you ask me.

However, the bill is only a stop-gap. It may soothe TEPCO’s creditors. It may even reassure the public that payouts won’t lead to higher electricity bills. But critics grumble that the plan protects shareholders at the expense of taxpayers.

Of course that's how it works. Backs get scratched and favors traded like penny stocks without ever once considering the human toll.

The long-term solutions being considered include bankruptcy, temporary nationalisation for the purpose of selling off assets, or capping TEPCO’s liability and making it, in addition to an energy provider, a vehicle for compensation payments. TEPCO favours a liability cap.

Maybe they should have worried about the RPV cap.

“When I meet with TEPCO officials, I don’t see any change in mindset; it’s as if nothing has changed,” sighs a nuclear-energy official.

Sounds like more normalcy bias.
But big business, which ought to favour competition to lower energy prices, is against deregulation. This may be because so many big firms act as suppliers to the utilities, which pay high prices to reward loyalty.

Ah ha! Clear, straightforward, and honest robbery on an industrial level.

Three-quarters of Japanese want to reduce or eliminate the country’s reliance on nuclear power—many more than before the accident.

The Fukushima disaster presents an opportunity for radical reform. But in a crisis people often grow conservative. Since the government holds the purse-strings, it can more or less dictate terms to TEPCO. The fear is that it will bankroll a return to business as usual.

So much for the will of the people.

Originally posted by siren8
You want radiation in your food. It kills food germs. If you ever see them stop irradiating your vegetables, its time to panic. We don't need e-coli here.

Not all radiation is dangerous to humans. You need to do your sesearch before you panic and encite others to worry over nothing.

Please do tell me which emissions you are worried about and how you are sure they got this far

found here
edit on 30-6-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Inadvertent empty quote box and shining the light on a post that wants to pull the wool back down.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

TEPCO favours a liability cap.

Maybe they should have worried about the RPV cap.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Ill have to defer to someone with better knowledge of cam videos and artifacts, but going back over stuff there is dark blurriness under the catwalk and/or in the bushes behind the catwalk in most pics. I really want to tell myself its artifacts from a cheap cam (and not the fastest connection either). But it could be either PC. And your sequence is telling. Hmmmmm?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor
Fukushima Spews, Los Alamos Burns, Vermont Rages & We Almost Lost Nebraska

Thanks for the link. The story could almost pass as a post in this thread. Nice to see someone getting it in the media.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
link below has a layout of unit 4, and it seems different than unit 3. If it is different, were people speculating they were the same? Cant remmeber

www.tepco.co.jp...

ON EDIT: gave wrong url at first.

edit on 30-6-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
And now for an idea of how protective and concerned TEPCO can be. They released the monitoring data for opening the doors to both R1 and R2. www.tepco.co.jp... For R1 they took one reading in 5 locations around the plant (no doubt avoiding being downwind) and for R2 they took two readings in 5 locations around the plant (once again no doubt avoiding being downwind). In one location for R2 there was a discrepancy between the two readings and TEPCO investigated and found that;

Since the monitoring was conducted at night, we conducted measurements by opening the window of the car while remaining inside and stretching our arm outside with instruments in hand. This was done to reduce the risk of animal encounters

Wow, I know I shouldnt be, but Im dumbfounded. They came out after both 1 and 2 were opened and stated how their monitoring showed little if any increase in radiation levels. Yet what I infer from the data is that they didnt monitor anywhere near the actual reactors, and monitored in a joke of a fashion. I know, I know, what did I expect. To tell you the truth I kinda thought theyd at least make the appearance of monitoring. Silly rabbit.

And PS. I had to write that quote out like always, as TEPCO continues to password protect their pdf's from being copied. Yeah TEPCO, that data is worth a fortune. Dont want someone to get their hands on it easily do we? a%$holes

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
More information on UK Government disinformation concerning Fukushima.

Secret e-mails released concerning Western Government cover up and disinformation.

Governments didn't want Fukushima to derail nuclear power plans.

Guardian article

136 secret e-mails

Wonder if the MSM will pick up on this or will it be a Guardian exclusive again?
edit on 30/6/11 by imlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by imlite
More information on UK Government disinformation concerning Fukushima.

Secret e-mails released concerning Western Government cover up and disinformation.

Governments didn't want Fukushima to derail nuclear power plans.

Guardian article

136 secret e-mails

Wonder if the MSM will pick up on this or will it be a Guardian exclusive again?
edit on 30/6/11 by imlite because: (no reason given)

Nice find! It's about what we suspected was going on and it's nice to see some of the evidence popup.

Guardian article

Louise Hutchins, a spokeswoman for Greenpeace, said the emails looked like "scandalous collusion". "This highlights the government's blind obsession with nuclear power and shows neither they, nor the industry, can be trusted when it comes to nuclear," she said.

About sums it up I think, but it's more a matter of what people want to believe. If believing in something causes discomfort, most folks simply choose not to believe even when the grim reality smacks them in the temple. PR companies have known for ever that facts are pretty much irrelevant to the masses.

Effective "demand gen" (generate demand for your product or message) is far more important than any facts and "positioning" is the cornerstone of demand gen. In the case of nuke it was getting firmly positioned as a "clean green" alternative to coal (much to the horror of the 60's nuke protesters who knew the truth) and its a subject that the post-chernobyl millennials don't have a history with and don't give a crap about (generally) and it will take something like Fuku to knock it out of this position, if it moves much at all. The reason why milliennials matter in this context is, yes, they represent least significant voter block, but are much more likely to protest and influence. 30 - 45's are baby/home makers = want/seek stability don't tend to protest or 'rock the boat'.

I have a feeling this position will nudge somewhat in the short-tail as govs find it hard to sell nuke, but rebound again in time due to the massive distract and disinfo compaign nuke is currently engaged in. Make no mistake MASSIVE amounts of $$$$$$$$$ are likely being injected, social media is a logical major target as are alternative sites like ATS (educated guess - if I was running the campaign that's what I'd do). Especially debunking any 'off message' ideas that might get some traction in a broader context (truth doesn't really matter).

Unless there is a massive boom (as I said a while back no boom = no doom) and thousands start keeling over all at once from something easy to graphically and visibly connect to Fuku (ie: not pneumonia) it is inevitable they will win the long-tail. Too many governments tied up in nuke for weapons and energy. Perversely it may take a boom to win the PR war (horrific as that sounds, but believe me what is happening now is just, if not more deadly), and that is, in fact, what "Big Nuke" is so desperately trying to avoid with all their fiddling around, ie: anti-nukes winning the PR war via a "spectacular" and visibly deadly radiological (nuke, not hydrogen based) accident. Believe it or not Tepco/JapGov & Big Nuke has been brilliantly successful at winning this PR war thus far 'managing' with sawdust and peanut butter 3+ full meltdowns without so much as a "run for the hills" or "cut their balls off" from the MSM and masses.

We are the unfortunate irraidiants (yes my new word) and all of us will now play a higher stakes game of chance with cancer and early death, the risks genetically escalating in future gens, and believe me the attempt to connect cancer & heart disease to lifestyle (not environment) is intentional. Machiavelli would be orgasmic at sheer brutal calculation of this plan. This is the price we pay for allowing ourselves to be ruled by insane sociopaths and ignoring our instincts and common sense. What makes me feel a little bit like SHOOTING A FEW POLITICIANS and MANDARINS IN THE BALLSACK is the thought most of the little kids and folks they were supposed to represent and who will die from Fuku will have no idea they were murdered. For the sake of weapons, war and the almighty buck.

Weston: AECL pulls plug on costly reactor project

No mention of Fuku, but pulling the plug on ACR1000 after $300 million in, thanks feds for wasting our cash on what was a bad idea to begin with.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Wertwog because: fiddling

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Radioactive Cesium In Urine Of All 10 Children Tested In Fukushima City, Located 60 Km From Fukushima Nuclear Plant

A small amount of radioactive substances was found from urine samples of all of 10 children in Fukushima surveyed by a Japanese civic association and a French nongovernmental organization, the groups said Thursday.

David Boilley, president of the Acro radioactivity measuring body, told a news conference in Tokyo that the survey on 10 boys and girls aged between 6 and 16 in Fukushima city suggested there was a high possibility that children in and near the city had been exposed to radiation internally, Kyodo News reported.

The highest levels found by the survey were 1.13 becquerels of radioactive cesium-134 per 1 litre of urine from an 8-year-old girl, and 1.30 becquerels of cesium-137 in a 7-year-old boy, Kyodo said.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Do me and the world a favor.
Flood this facebook page with as much info as you can

www.facebook.com...

world blog from msnbc

Me and others are,
FU$% THEM!!!

Educate the world!
edit on 1-7-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
More evidence (as if we needed it) of criminal culpability on Tepco's part:

TOKYO—Some senior engineers at Tokyo Electric Power Co. knew for years that five of its nuclear reactors in Fukushima prefecture had a potentially dangerous design flaw, but the company didn't fully upgrade them, dooming them to failure when the earthquake hit, a Wall Street Journal examination of the disaster shows.

The tsunami exposed an Achilles heel in the design of some of the plants: the questionable placement of a single kitchen-table-size electric-switching station. At newer plants, the station was in a robust building that also housed the reactor. In others, it stood in a poorly protected outbuilding—a relic of the original design. When the tsunami hit, those switches were knocked out, rendering operating generators useless.

One single switching station and all of this may have been averted?

This raises my ire to a renewed level of incandescence.

This article is based on interviews with a dozen current and former senior Tokyo Electric Power engineers, including several who were intimately involved when the fateful design decisions were made in the 1970s. Some of them say the company, known as Tepco, had opportunities over the decades to retrofit the oldest reactors. They blame a combination of complacency, cost-cutting pressures and lax regulation for the failure to do so.

"There's no doubt Tepco should have applied new designs" throughout Fukushima, says Masatoshi Toyota, 88 years old, once a top Tepco executive who helped oversee the building of the reactors.

This could almost be a post here. We're just a bit more bald with our anger at these people (not the citizens of Japan), I understand that The Wall Street Journal has a measure of decorum it must cultivate and appear mostly mild-mannered.

All the Fukushima plants, including the newer ones, were based on GE designs. GE maintained lucrative contracts to service GE reactors in Japan and was engaged with partner Hitachi Ltd. in a global campaign to extend the lives of its aging plants.

And just what is it they are bringing to life?

Paying how much in taxes?

Because Tepco's first reactor buildings were small, the generators had to go somewhere else. Engineers put them into neighboring structures that house turbines. The reactor buildings were fortress-like, with thick concrete walls and dual sets of sturdy doors. The turbine buildings were far less sturdy, especially their doors

There it is, from before the first dirt was ever turned, the problem lay in the original design.

"Backup power generators are critical safety equipment, and it should've been a no-brainer to put them inside the reactor buildings," Mr. Toyota says. "It's a huge disappointment that nobody at Tepco—including me—was sensitive enough to notice and do something about this discrepancy."

Well, let me see here, I think I would have noticed something like that, and I'm not even a nuclear engineer.

Kiyoshi Kishi, a former Tepco executive in charge of nuclear-plant engineering, says that at the time of the original design, people thought a large tsunami on Fukushima's Pacific coast was "impossible." Later Tepco adjusted some parts of the plant—but not all—to address tsunamis of up to 18.8 feet, less than half the height of the one that hit in March.

I posted about this very issue many hundreds of pages back. I showed how Tepco discarded the reports they were given about possible tsunami heights equal, or nearly so, to the one experienced on 3/11 due to their inability ti imagine something of that size actually occurring.

There's more of your normalcy bias, SFA. Maybe they should have some non-normally biased people taking a look at their preparations.

Over the ensuing years, Tepco updated the plants repeatedly, and the Japanese government tightened standards for earthquake preparedness several times. The government gave the turbine buildings that contained the generators for the older reactors a lower earthquake-preparedness rating, Class B, than the reactor buildings that housed the generators at the newer facilities, which were graded Class S.

I'm not familiar with these classifications, could someone look into this and get back with what these mean?

Says Mr. Toyota, the former Tepco executive: "Over the years, a lot of engineers have come up with different ideas to improve safety. But my guess is that they couldn't come forward and point that out to management because of the high costs associated with back-fitting older reactors with new designs."

Tepco was criticized during those years for having high electricity rates, and such significant changes would have been difficult, say former company officials.

Somewhere amongst this flurry of posts I've made recently is a reference to te Fact that as a regional monopoly, Tepco is guaranteed a certain profit amount.

It seems to me the shareholders would've been willing to give a bit of that back if they had known that critical safety systems were in need of a bit of maintenance capital.

Katsuya Tomono, a former Tepco executive vice president who in the late 1990s was in charge of nuclear-plant equipment such as backup generators, says he believes that "engineers on the ground took the easy way out and used the switch yard that already existed in the turbine buildings. As far as I know, there was no debate on this matter among engineers who led the move to add backup generators."

Cost-saving and corner-cutting have saturated Tepco in particular and possibly the nuclear power industry worldwide.

In 2001, when the original 30-year operating permit for Fukushima Daiichi's No. 1 reactor was set to expire, Tepco applied for and received a 10-year extension. It got another one earlier this year, just five weeks before the accident. Regulators never reviewed whether the basic blueprint of the older reactors was flawed, the abbreviated minutes of government deliberations show.

Sounds kind of like Tepco not having the equipment necessary to detect plutonium while saying that there wasn't any found.

All three of the generators added in the late 1990s, located in the separate hillside buildings, kept working. But they didn't do any good at reactor Nos. 1 through 4 because the meta-kura(switching station) that delivered power from the generators to the cooling systems got swamped in the lightly protected turbine buildings.

"Once water gets in there, the whole thing is kaput," said Mr. Tomono, the former Tepco executive vice president.

clarification mine

If they had built a new switching station, then the generators probably would have continued running. They still would have faced a finite fuel supply, but they it would have bought them precious hours in which back up fuel could have been procured.

Mr. Kishi, the former Tepco executive in charge of nuclear-plant engineering, watched the nuclear plant he had worked on for decades go up in smoke. He says he believes the discrepancy between the older and newer reactors at Fukushima was "subtle."

But in retrospect, he says, Tepco's inconsistency in applying improved standards was the "basic flaw" that doomed Fukushima and darkened nuclear power's prospects around the world

A conclusion we came to a long time ago here within these pages.

source for all quotes

Wert, love the Buckaroo Bonzai quote

Don't touch it! It's pure evil!
edit on 1-7-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: quoth the raven

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Done, K-dog. The gloves are off now. They will have so many wrenches to pull out of that octopus, machine, they won't know what hit em ! A star for the great idea.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
We are the unfortunate irraidiants (yes my new word)

I like it, it makes sense. In fact, it coulda been the name of a punk band. The Unfortunate Irraidiants. No wonder the dead were grateful. No longer had to live in a radiated world.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Unfortunately HAARP rules from NWO

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

What they are referring to are called "Automatic Transfer Switches". These exist in any place where a backup generator exists.

These are the Achilles Heal of any backup scenario. These units detect when power is gone from feed "A" (Utility), start the generator(s), wait a predetermined time for the units to come up to speed, monitor the power to make sure it's there and at the right voltage, then transfer the load over to the generators.

Now, having said this, I have in my past, had no choice but to manually transfer the load way back in time when I ran the maintenance department for a major airline. It's dangerous, no doubt, but can be done in less than an hour if done by competent engineers.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

** IMPORTANT INFO **

With reference to the radiation in the kids urine, I emailed the site and they kindly posted the report online with all the readings they took from the kids and other folk.

Better download what is important in case they change their mind !
Report of radiation readings in Fukushima (halfway down in the green box on the left hand side...

or

The direct link to the report page

edit on 1-7-2011 by qmantoo because: important...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
www.neimagazine.com... Some plans for the new closed-loop system.

Great link. Wish I hadda read the whole thing first time through. Last paragraph;

A sample of unit 1 spent fuel pond water has found higher-than-normal levels of activity-it contains about 1.8 million times as much caesium 137 as before the incident. However, TEPCO concludes that the majority of the fuel in unit 1 is undamaged, and the radioactivity came from external sources, such as contaminated steam and dust.

such as contaminated steam and dust.

TEPCO HAS FINALLY ANSWERED OUR QUESTION WHAT IS IN THE STEAM/SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE BUILDINGS.
ON EDIT
edit on 1-7-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 963  964  965    967  968  969 >>

join