It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 962.htm
<< 959  960  961    963  964  965 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Yeah, I know which video you're talking about.

There were an absolute TON of gamma strikes hitting the camera when they hoisted it on the end of a stick over the handrail and got a glimpse of that water. It looked like they were in a snow globe.

And the water was a very yellow-green color that just looked VERY unhealthy.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

That water being hot in both senses of the word is entirely plausible.

The cores HAVE escaped the RPV and containment. Of that there is no doubt so yes they could be heating trapped water in the basement levels to the point where it is at least steaming. With the influx of water I do not think it's gotten to the point of an active boil though.

reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I'm not gonna be sleeping either. I live east of the damn thing right under the effing jet stream.

Got a good amount of KI03 laid in, enough Prussian Blue and zeolite for the family for 6 months and food/water for 3. That's enough for me to get a good E&E plan in motion depending on how badly this turns out... and I do think it will turn out VERY bad.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by qmantoo

That water being hot in both senses of the word is entirely plausible.

The cores HAVE escaped the RPV and containment. Of that there is no doubt so yes they could be heating trapped water in the basement levels to the point where it is at least steaming. With the influx of water I do not think it's gotten to the point of an active boil though.

Here is a link ( I don't know how to imbed) to a video that shows what appears to be water boiling in the basement of Unit 1;

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Add another "nuclear" facility to the list of Houston we have a problem places...

Wildfire threatens Los Alamos National Lab

Raging wildfires in New Mexico forced the evacuation of the famed nuclear lab at Los Alamos Monday, though officials insist that radioactive material is secure.

Fires have burned as close as one mile from the government lab - threatening buildings, power lines and gas lines, officials said.

"Lab emergency crews have been dispatched across the lab to protect key facilities and materials," said lab spokesman Jeff Berger.

"Protected areas include all hazardous and radioactive facilities and our proton accelerator and super-computing centers."

About 100 non-essential personnel were cleared from the area around the lab, where the first atomic bomb was built.

Gov. Susanna Martinez toured the lab's emergency operations center late Sunday and ordered the state National Guard to the area.

CNN

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
And TEPCO's latest stunt of running their newly cleaned water (what little they got before radiation levels shut that system down) through the reactor cooling system of units 1-3 (that no longer contain the fuel)
has failed because of leaking hoses.

(Reuters) - The operator of Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant halted on Monday its new, glitch-prone system that is key to cooling down damaged reactors due to a water leakage, a setback in its efforts to avoid dumping highly contaminated water into the ocean.

Source

Shareholders meeting is tomorrow. The planned Dog and pony show has failed.

As an aside the article headline is this: Japan trips in key effort to cool nuclear reactors

The headline on the international ticker link is this: Japan moves "giant step" toward resolving nuclear crisis

They are updating "positive pr" stories with the gloomy news...so new gloomy headlines don't have to go out. Sadly, many people will only read the positive headline in a news scan and say, "Well Cool."

In summary - cleaning the highly radiated water - has failed.
Circulating water through the cooling system of the reactors has failed. (useless effort in the first place)

Now what?
edit on 27-6-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
File this story in Zorgon's
folder.

Japan.gov has figured out a way to use those radiated fish....

Radiation in Japan: Government Wants to Offer Japan's Seafood to Developing Nations

The government plan for the international aid programs for the 2011 fiscal year [that started in April 1] became known on June 26, which include the Official Development Assistance (ODA). The plan states that the government will purchase the processed seafood from the areas affected by the March 11 earthquake and offer them to developing nations, and that "it will make it the utmost priority to utilize the ODA for the recovery open to the international community". Under the plan, the government will also accept more foreign "trainees" in the affected areas to counter the baseless rumors [of radiation contamination].

Foreign "trainees" usually means cheap labors from developing nations. Before the earthquake/tsunami of March 11, there were many "trainees" from China working in the seafood processing plants at the ports in the Tohoku region, even as the jobs were not abundant for the locals.

A baseless rumor or ”blowing in the wind” rumor (風評), has become the euphemism for "radiation", as you already know.

The Japanese government wants to buy up fish and other seafood from fishermen in Tohoku, package them and sell them to developing nations so that Tohoku can recover.

(That's totally in line with the Japan-US plan to create the final processing plant for used fuels in Mongolia.)

Please keep in mind that this is what the national government (and probably the prefectural governments in Tohoku) wants, and not the fishermen themselves. I'm sure some fishermen will be all for it, but others won't be, as I've read about them who simply stopped fishing when they become aware that the fish were contaminated with radioactive materials.

EX-SKF

The gift that keeps on giving. (Sarcasm) So kind of Japan to share the love with developing nations.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Glad to see some of the the Digital Globe photos have been posted again.
Here is the original report from Digital Globe with the two images of unit 3
taken 1 minute BEFORE the blast and 3 minutes AFTER the blast.

14 March 2011 9-pages Firstwatch report
17march2011 5 pages Firstwatch report Excellent pics in each report

Other bits and pieces
RST Assessment of Fukushima Daiichi Units, (26 mar 2011) - 15 pages

Tepco
Result of the investigation on Tsunami at Fukushima Daiichi

Nuclear Energy Institute
Fact Sheet Used Nuclear Fuel Storage at the Fukushima Daiichi 15mar2011
used nuclear fuel storage key facts
60% used fuel stored in shared pool
34% in the 6 reactor storage pools
6% in 9 dry storage containers

Nucular Information & resource service 12Jun2011 updated radiation map

21mar2011 stanford uni - Japan Fukushima seminar

No 118 20th June 2011 (see No4 storage Pool item)
No,123 - 25th June 2011 Jaif Status Report

No.124 - 26th June 2011 Jaif Status Report
boric acid to #4 fuel pool
Ready to inject N into #2
last month #3 fuel pool very alkaline due to concrete dropping in after the explosions -> Ph11.2 possibly will cause collapse of pool structure

Some links you may not have

interesting stuff NRC subcommittee on Fukushima May 23rd
(transcript 210 pages may 23rd) page 167 starts a presentation after the meeting. Useful info & images (arnie gundersen p155)

Agenda only for June 23 meeting
to find the transcript enter into google
site:nrc.gov +"fukushima" +transcript +"meeting" +june ( find june 23rd 2011 - transcript not released yet as of 26th June)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Have not seen this posted, very informative.

Rense & Rifat - Fukushima - The End of the West as We Know It

Edit - some VERY graphic photos are used in this presentation.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 27-6-2011 by matadoor because: Posted a warning

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'd never seen this before, some interviews with workers..

Thousands work to clean up Fukushima plant

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
And if you REALLY want to see something interesting, check this one out:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Genocide in Japan: Cover-up of Radiation Danger by Govt & Media Silenced by Nuclear Industry

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

J&C you are on a roll. Excellent work. Still have a few questions but need to go over data first. And you already have a job. Youre part of the ATS Fukushima Forensics Research and Applied Technology team, a division of TEPCO (they just dont know it yet)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor

www.youtube.com...

Now that is SCARY SH*#. Holy cow, WTF is going on with the Fuku beast.

anyone have an opinion on the flashes seen at 4:30 and 6:12. There is the usual flash west of of unit 4 followed by a flash up the hill to the far right.

And the series of flashes at 6:32 are the brightest yet. Have tried to come up with simple explanation but cant. Not headlights, not welding, once again more like explosions but jmpossible to say.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

www.youtube.com...

Now that is SCARY SH*#. Holy cow, WTF is going on with the Fuku beast.

anyone have an opinion on the flashes seen at 4:30 and 6:12. There is the usual flash west of of unit 4 followed by a flash up the hill to the far right.

And the series of flashes at 6:32 are the brightest yet. Have tried to come up with simple explanation but cant. Not headlights, not welding, once again more like explosions but jmpossible to say.

I was trying to figure out if it was maybe lightning reflecting off the buildings, but the color was not right, which may be the camera itself, since I have never seen ligthning on those cameras before.

BUT, it's certainly an interesting video.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by welshbeliever

I am not sure if these have already been uploaded because there is so much on the topic, but in case they are not.

Hot Particles detected in Japan and the West Coast
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.fairewinds.com

also

www.youtube.com...
(not exactly a professional upload but interesting)
edit on 27-6-2011 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I was trying to figure out if it was maybe lightning reflecting off the buildings, but the color was not right, which may be the camera itself, since I have never seen ligthning on those cameras before.

It does resemble lightning. Hmmm? But it seems to have come from the ground up.

I gotta say that this is a very interesting clip. the smoke/steam coming from 3 and 4 is pumping from beginning to end and I dont think its fog that finally obscures things.

This was two nights ago. Any idea on last night? anyone seen anything?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

It does resemble lightning. Hmmm? But it seems to have come from the ground up.

I gotta say that this is a very interesting clip. the smoke/steam coming from 3 and 4 is pumping from beginning to end and I dont think its fog that finally obscures things.

This was two nights ago. Any idea on last night? anyone seen anything?

I've been scanning the net like crazy trying to find some vids. That was the best I had found as far as up to date.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

When was the last time we got an up to date count from TEPCO on the number of neutron beams being detected? The "danger" subject came up in an early round of stories then went away from TEPCO's vocabulary like the common spent fuel pool.

Kyodo News

23 March 2011

Neutron beam observed 13 times at crippled Fukushima nuke plant

TOKYO, March 23, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Wednesday it has observed a neutron beam, a kind of radioactive ray, 13 times on the premises of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant after it was crippled by the massive March 11 quake-tsunami disaster.

TEPCO, the operator of the nuclear plant, said the neutron beam measured about 1.5 kilometers southwest of the plant’s No. 1 and 2 reactors over three days from March 13 and is equivalent to 0.01 to 0.02 microsieverts per hour and that this is not a dangerous level.

The utility firm said it will measure uranium and plutonium, which could emit a neutron beam, as well.

In the 1999 criticality accident at a nuclear fuel processing plant run by JCO Co. in Tokaimura, Ibaraki Prefecture, uranium broke apart continually in nuclear fission, causing a massive amount of neutron beams.

In the latest case at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, such a criticality accident has yet to happen.

But the measured neutron beam may be evidence that uranium and plutonium leaked from the plant’s nuclear reactors and spent nuclear fuels have discharged a small amount of neutron beams through nuclear fission.

==Kyodo

Source

Unfortunately, criticality has not been eliminated as the source of this light nor have I heard how they solved that significant problem completely.
Criticality

ETA:

the blue glow of a criticality accident results from the spectral emission of the excited ionized atoms (or excited molecules) of air (mostly oxygen and nitrogen) falling back to unexcited states, which happens to produce an abundance of blue light. This is also the reason electrical sparks in air, including lightning, appear electric blue. It is a coincidence that the color of Cherenkov light and light emitted by ionized air are a very similar blue despite their very different methods of production. It would be also interesting to remark that the ozone smell was said to be a sign of high radioactivity field through Chernobyl liquidators.

Thanks for all the input. Great posts.

Anyone know someone who knows someone who knows someone who is a TEPCO stockholder attending the annual meeting who wants to come to ATS to vent a little writing steam about how things are going?

edit on 27-6-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hey maybe we can buy a few shares at the reduced rate...

then WE would be share holders

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

top topics

<< 959  960  961    963  964  965 >>

join