It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 93.htm
<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
This all makes me wonder what the is being done to the surrounding sea water. I know the main concern is initially for airborne contamination, however all that sea water being pumped in also comes out somewhere I think. I know some of it is turned into steam to drive the turbines, however I don't believe they are generating power at the moment due to all the problems.

Some of the aerial photos of the 1st Fukushima Nuclear Plant show a strong looking current on the south side of the "harbour". I suspect this discharge is scrubbed under normal circumstances, however right now who knows?

If the water has been contaminated, then I guess it will gradually flow around Japan and out into the Pacific. Hopefully there's no long term effect on the marine ecosystem if there is radioactive water flowing out of the plant, but surely it can't be good for the environment...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I know the thread is long so I'll re-post one of the best sites for LIVE UPDATES: YokosoNews

This guy Katz has been broadcasting live from Tokyo 18 hours a day since this tragedy. He provides translations of news briefs, updates, links, everything. I really hope ATS supports this modern day hero.

Right now he's translating information about the reactor and the fuel rods...

peace

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
It's strange, but in local news I don't see a thing about reactor #2. Only about explosions on #3 and #4.
Please advise any news site with up-to-date info? (I'm at the office now, so I need some source with wrtitten info)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
this picture is above the only article about explosion at reactor#2 I found.
is it reaaly the second one?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
www.smh.com.au... .htmlreply to post by AstraCat

With radiation levels around the facility up, TEPCO suspects the core of the No.2 reactor has partially melted, a critical nuclear safety situation. ...

www.smh.com.au... .html
thats about them all but does talk about # 2

you can get some updates from
english.kyodonews.jp...

edit on 15-3-2011 by leisas4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AstraCat

Hi Astra - The update I'm listening to is focusing, like you said, on the other reactors. I'm in hopes he'll report on the original reactor problems soon. I'll keep you posted here if I can keep my ISP working.

At the moment he's reporting: (from YokosoNews)

Confirmed the water supply pump for the 4th reactor is broken.

Ahh, here's a little snip just now.

The second reactor - we heard a 'large sound'

pause

(Sorry, he stopped reporting on that and moved on)...

There seems to be a great load of confusion in the press conference the translator is covering but he's reporting they're still working hard and the 4th nuclear reactor was not in production at the time of the earthquake - only used fuel rods and that's the problem there.

Now he's reporting:

All people must close their windows and not breath the outside air. People in those areas please obey the government. The people who live outside of the area should have no fear but we will be sure to let you know.

Update on reactor #1,2 and #3 - we are pouring the seawater in and we're trying to relieve the heat and need to cool it down using firetrucks to pump the seawater into the 1-2 and 3 reactor.

Next, the 4th reactor had a fire on the third floor. It was close to where the 'pool' of the used fuel rods and the power supply pump. We don't know the cause of this but when the employee checked this the fire had already ceased.

It's getting confusing again - but really worth a listen.

peace

edit on 15-3-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I dont know much about nuclear reactors but I reckon this would be catastophic on top of whats already been disastrous. It would be difficult to coordinate when theres flooding everywhere and damage.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Kan raps Tokyo Electric's handling of nuclear crisis
TOKYO, March 15, Kyodo

Prime Minister Naoto Kan on Tuesday strongly criticized Tokyo Electric Power Co. for its handling of the earthquake-stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

''The TV reported an explosion. But nothing was said to the premier's office for about an hour,'' a Kyodo News reporter overheard Kan saying during a meeting with executives of the power company at its head office. ''What the hell is going on?''

Kan strongly ordered the company not to withdraw its employees from the power plant, which has been facing a series of problems since Friday's massive quake, ranging from explosions to radiation leaks.

''In the event of withdrawal from there, I'm 100 percent certain that the company will collapse,'' Kan said. ''I want you all to be determined.''

The government, as well as the public, has been dissatisfied with the company's way of releasing information regarding the crippled nuclear plant.

In an attempt to work more closely together, the government and the company launched Tuesday a joint headquarters of the crisis involving the Fukushima No. 1 plant.

The headquarters set up at the company's head office is headed by Kan, with industry minister Banri Kaieda and TEPCO President Masataka Shimizu serving as its deputy chiefs.

==Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I just got a message through my dvr that my cable company is temporarily offering the Japanese channel TVJ for free, watching it right now and it looks to be the same coverage as this.

www.livestation.com...

For anyone interested in my area the channel is Verizon Fios 1770.

I should add that the channel is all Japanese, no English and after watching for a few minutes I realize my link is not the same, it was when I turned it on though, sorry for any confusion.
edit on 15-3-2011 by bigern because: clarification

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Tokyo Electric Power says water levels at the spent nuclear fuel pool at Daiichi No. 4 reactor remain unconfirmed.

-Reuters

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
News update here on NHK is reporting they're taking 'preventative measures at the other reactors (#5 and up) as they're showing higher heat than is stable.'

The conference is going on right now so take a listen.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

thanks for keeping us all updated!

I will keep searching for intresting local news.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Reactors 5 and 6 are being vented now. Water level in 1 and 3 is stabilizing, pumping in progress at #2.

-nhk tv
edit on 3/15/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
This link is a awesome - All 4 channels at once with news links etc - Very cool page.

USTWRAP

peace

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Remains to be seen if water smoothly injected into No. 2 reactor: Edano

Edano denies continued release of high radiation around No. 4 reactor

cooling of #5 #6 reactors appears not to be working properly Edano

english.kyodonews.jp...
edit on 15-3-2011 by leisas4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
At last something from Russian media...

translate.google.ru...

Tuesday hydrogen explosion occurred at the reactor nuclear power plant emergency "Fukushima-1 in Japan.
Earlier, Prime Minister Naoto Kan told a televised address in an emergency, because of the fire on the fourth nuclear power plant unit "Fukushima-1" spewed radiation of high concentration, after which the radiation levels exceeded the normal average of 400 times .
Radiation levels at nuclear power plants "Fukushima-1" on Tuesday, three times higher than the permissible one-year norm for humans.
Tuesday morning local time , an explosion occurred on the second power plant "Fukushima-1", after which it became known that the radiation level in the area of emergency plant is not dangerous to humans .

"feel the difference"

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Sorry if something like this has already been posted.

fuel rod fire at reactor would be like Chernobyl on steroids

According to this article that contains commentary from a nuclear engineer,the Fukushima Daiichi plant may contain over 600,000 spent fuel rods !!! I can't begin to conceive of what this means if this entire plant blows up/melts, on top of all the radioactive material that would leak from the various reactors.

Wouldn't an event like this have global repercussions ? Would anywhere in Europe be affected ? I am in the UK.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Radiation level in Russia remains normal.
71 station are continiously monitoring the situation.

via interfax.ru

I hope it really is so.

IAEA says it has been informed by Japan that the fire at the nuclear reactor spent fuel pond has been put out

via Reuters
edit on 15-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AstraCat

Thanks for keeping a check on Russia I've a feeling they're going to be out best updates beyond what we're getting from Japan.

Counter Measure Headquarters is a new term we'll be hearing from Tokyo and they (The Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan) is reporting reactors #5 and #6 are compromised.

From YokosoNews Wrap

peace

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Wouldn't an event like this have global repercussions ? Would anywhere in Europe be affected ? I am in the UK.

Your post stopped me in my tracks. That's just unreal.

I don't know for fact but I just can't see how this could be anything but a global catastrophe if it continues.

Not doom and glooming just reading your info and it's like getting a bucket of ice-water in the face.

People familiar with the plant said there are seven spent fuel pools at Fukushima Daiichi, many of them densely packed.

Gundersen said the unit 1 pool could have as much as 20 years of spent fuel rods, which are still radioactive.

source

edit on 15-3-2011 by silo13 because: bbc

top topics

<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join