It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 916.htm
513
<< 913  914  915    917  918  919 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

 


It reads like a laymans' nuclear disaster book. It covers every aspect of the worse man made event to ever happen on OUR Planet. Thank You ALL beautiful, caring fellow brain cells...

Des


Yeah, you all have done good here. The few forums and blogsites that didn't get hoodwinked and stayed on top of the situation were the outside worlds link to data it desperately needed.

Missed the first 500 myself, locked into PF and Oildrum forums, but plan on going back someday soon. I want to incorporate as many quotes from many sources in a timeline fashion i.e. On March 15th these people said this, these organizations said this, these governments said this, and this is what really happened etc. And I have a feeling that both Arnie and the ATS gang will end up closest to the truth alot of the time.




posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld
 


For the telling too those who are forced too remember,,

"and all the scientists stared open eyed at the "site",, and when asked "when does Extreme Criticality occur,, and shouldn't it have happened by now? ",,, and they replied in their all knowing oneness,,,"we don't know"

And "we don't know" reverberated throught the land.

The End.



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
O.C. firm helps radioactive cleanup in Japan

www.ocregister.com...

Kurion Inc., an Irvine technology firm, has sent several tons of equipment to the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan to help remove radioactive particles from contaminated water.
The power plant was damaged in Japan's recent earthquake and subsequent tsunami.


Kurion is the second Orange County company to help with the massive clean-up effort.
Recently UniPure, a Brea designer of water treatment systems, built and sent three oil-water separators to process solid waste, debris and grease from the plant's water to allow removal of radioactive particles downstream.

Kurion's engineers started arriving at Fukushima May 25 and others will be there soon, the company said, to help install and start up the equipment by mid-June.
The Kurion system is part of an unprecedented effort by an international team of radioactive waste management companies to quickly deliver a large contaminated water processing system, Kurion said.
The process will require several stages including debris and oil removal, radioactivity removal and desalinization, Kurion said. The goal is to process radioactive, contaminated water that is in the turbine buildings along with new cooling water added daily, and return the purified water to the plant to recycle as reactor cooling water. Areva of France is developing a second radioactivity removal system for the project.
Kurion's process shrinks waste and turns it into glass so that the radioactive material can be stored and transported more easily, according to Katie Fehrenbacher at gigaom.com.
Kurion CEO John Raymont said his company had worked around the clock on its equipment and Ion Specific media to meet Fukushima's specifications, which kept evolving. Kurion delivered the equipment in five weeks.
"This has been an unprecedented project and level of effort to compress into weeks what took 18 months to prepare for the Three Mile Island Nuclear Plant accident water cleanup," Raymont said.
Kurion Vice President and Project Director Richard Keenan added that the design was to be reliable yet flexible, "based on lessons learned from Three Mile Island, U.S. (Department of Energy) operations, and nuclear plant operations worldwide...
Kurion, founded in 2008 has received equity investment from Lux Capital Management and Firelake Capital Management. While headquartered in Irvine, it has a research and development facility in Oak Ridge, Tenn., and a test facility in Rolla, Mo.
.



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
To quote another Tom Clancy book "One finds truth where one can".. I never thought that I'd be posting a link to the "Tehran Times", but...

www.tehrantimes.com...

Land around Fukushima resembles target struck by atomic bomb


(Natural News) It is nothing short of astonishing that the nuclear catastrophe we've all been told was ""no big deal"" has now escalated into the worst nuclear disaster in the history of human civilization.

It's so bad now that soil samples taken from outside the 12-mile exclusion zone (the zone considered safe enough by the Japanese government for schoolchildren to attend school there) are higher than the 1.48 million becquerels a square meter limit that triggered evacuations outside Chernobyl in 1986.

In other words, the radiation level of the soil 12 miles from Fukushima is now higher than the levels considered too dangerous to live in near Chernobyl. This is all coming out in a new research report authored by Tomio Kawata, a fellow at the Nuclear Waste Management Organization of Japan. That same report also reveals that radiation from Fukushima has spread over 230 square miles.

- Fukushima dead zone

What we're facing here, folks, is a Fukushima dead zone where life will never return to its pre-Fukushima norms.

- Radiation levels similar to nuclear bomb test site

Bloomberg is now reporting, ""Tetsuya Terasawa said the radiation levels are in line with those found after a nuclear bomb test, which disperses plutonium. He declined to comment further."" (www.bloomberg.com...)

One soil sample taking 25 kilometers away from Fukushima showed Cesium-137 exceeding 5 million becquerels per square meter. This level, of course, makes it uninhabitable by humans, yet both the Japanese and U.S. governments continue to downplay the whole event, assuring their sheeple that there's nothing to worry about.

By their logic, since all the people are sheeple anyway, as long as the area is safe enough for sheep, it's also safe enough for the human population.

Both Japan and the U.S. have made huge efforts to raise the limits of allowed radiation exposure in foods and beverages. This was, of course, a deceitful tactic to try to reclassify radiation contamination as somehow magically being ""safe"" by redefining it.

The outright lying and tactics of deception that have been used to try to downplay the severity of the radioactive fallout from Fukushima are nothing less than despicable.

In a time when radiation threatens the safety and food supply of hundreds of millions of people, we are getting nothing but a Fukushima whitewash.

- Fukushima is now far worse than Chernobyl

Fukushima is now far worse than Chernobyl ever was and yet we're all being told it's no problem and that the government has it all under control. I ask: How is 5 million becquerels per square meter not a problem?

It's amazing that we even got this information, considering how frequently TEPCO claims its sensors and meters aren't working (basically any time they get a reading that's ""too high"").

The Japanese government can't wait to corral the sheeple back onto the radioactive soil, by the way. ""Basically, the way in which the current zones have been drawn up aren't a concern in terms of the impact on health,"" said Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano. ""Using Mr. Kawata's report as a guide, we want to do what we can to improve the soil, so people can return as soon as possible."" (www.bloomberg.com...)

Barely recently, TEPCO finally admitted Fukushima suffered multiple core meltdowns in the hours following the tsunami strike

www.naturalnews.com...

Edit to fix the link.....

This was the first time TEPCO openly admitted to something the alternative media had been reporting for months.

What has become perfectly clear in the reporting on Fukushima is that:

• Governments lie to the people • Mainstream media lies to the people • Only the alternative media was correct in reporting the severity of the core

meltdowns and the release of radioactive material into the environment. That's why more and more people are turning away from traditional sources of (mis)information and instead relying on the alternative media to get accurate information about world events.
edit on 5-6-2011 by matadoor because: Edit to fix the link...



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Good morning fellow collective brain cells (Des hurry back.)

I would appreciate some help from our more nuclear inclined posters. We have new data released from the Ministry of Education and Science that was withheld specifically regarding the Tokyo area after the Unit 3 MOX reactor "explosion." These results are related to Krypton 85. There are more charts at SKF and in Japanese on the ministry site here




Thanks again to the EX-SKF site investigative and translation skills.

#Fukushima Nuke Accident: WSPEEDI Shows Tokyo Was Under Radioactive Plume on March 15




Japan's ever-sneaky Ministry of Education and Science again quietly released 3 sets of simulation maps of WSPEEDI without any press release nor any explanation; this time it was the simulations that they did on March 15. The Reactor 3 that used MOX fuel blew up on March 14 at 11:01AM JST.

Last time, the Ministry put out on May 10 the WSPEEDI simulation done on March 25. That simulation, if disclosed in a timely manner, may have prevented many, many children from developing thyroid cancer in the future.

One set of the maps is about krypton-85 surface concentration. The maps show the band extending well beyond Tokyo and Kanagawa.

That at least proves one thing, that Tokyo and Kanagawa were probably bombarded with radioactive materials on March 15. I remember seeing posts in Japanese message boards that day and afterwards saying people had a metallic taste in their mouth that day, that people started to have nosebleed and fell ill. Both were attacked and dismissed as "malicious rumors".

All the government needed to do was to warm people in Tokyo and Kanto area that day to skip work and school. Shut the doors and windows and stay indoors.

When Hiroaki Koide of Kyoto University testified on May 23 in a government committee (Upper House, government oversight committee), the data he said he had been told by his superior not to publish was the data of radiation in Tokyo on March 15.

But why were the government experts interested in krypton-85? What does krypton-85 represent? And iodine-129? (The simulation maps are only about krypton-85; they are still sitting on iodine-129 maps or any other maps of other nuclides.)


edit on 5-6-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)


Krypton 85:

en.wikipedia.org...


Krypton 85 (85Kr) is a radioisotope of krypton.

It decays into rubidium-85, with a half-life of 10.756 years and a maximum decay energy of 0.687 MeV. Its most common decay (99.57%) is by beta particle emission with maximum energy of 687 keV and an average energy of 251 keV. The second most common (0.43%) is by beta particle emission (maximum energy of 173 keV) followed by gamma ray emission (energy of 514 keV).[1] Other decay modes have very small probabilities and emit less energetic gammas.[2] The only other long-lived radioisotope of krypton is krypton-81 with a 210,000 year half-life; others have half-lives of less than two days.

Krypton-85 is produced in small quantities by the interaction of cosmic rays with the stable krypton-84 (which is present in concentrations of about 1 cm3 per cubic meter). However, since the mid-1940s, much larger quantities have been artificially produced as a product of nuclear fission. When uranium-235, or another fissile nucleus fissions, it usually splits into two large fragments (fission products) with mass numbers around 90-140, and two or three neutrons. About three atoms of krypton-85 are produced for every 1000 fissions (i.e. it has a fission yield of 0.3%).[3] This is only about 20% of the total fission product of mass 85, as most decay from a short-lived excited state of 85Kr directly to 85Rb without passing through the longer-lived nuclear isomer.

About 5 million curies of the isotope was released into the atmosphere as a result of nuclear weapons tests between 1945 and the end of atmospheric testing in 1962. The 1979 accident at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant released about 50,000 curies of Kr-85 into the atmosphere[3] and the Chernobyl accident released about 5 million curies.[4] The atmospheric concentration of krypton-85 peaked in around 1970, when it reached around 10 picocuries per metre3. Since then the cessation of atmospheric weapons tests and the reduced production of plutonium has, because of the short half life of the isotope, led to a sharp reduction in the atmospheric concentration, according to the Human Health Fact Sheet.

For wide-area atmospheric monitoring, krypton-85 is the best indicator for clandestine plutonium separations.[5]

A large nuclear power plant produces about 300,000 curies of the isotope per year, most or all retained in the spent nuclear fuel rods. Nuclear reprocessing currently releases Kr-85 to the atmosphere when the spent fuel is dissolved. It would also be possible to capture and store it as nuclear waste or for use.

.


Well that's a start. Any PF/physicists got the knowledge to take this further re: interpreting this data release into a better understanding of the 'source term' that the Jap Gov was working with at the time of it's calculation/monitoring? And what that means in the bigger picture?



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Again...Question???

After the water is "decontaminated"? Can you drink it? Bathe in it? Put it in your fish tank? Flush it?

Help --- really curious!! Will the members of the EPA be willing to consume it?

What condition do they expect this water to be in by the time it is "processed"?

- Purple Chive



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype
 



Krypton and Krypton-85

www.answers.com...

ALSO, regarding Krypton-85 and MOX fuel production....this treaty shows all the laws TEPCO is in violation of in the production of MOX fuel


[This entry is drawn from Chapter Five of the 2006 Global Fissile Material Report: "A Fissile Material Cutoff Treaty." The printed version includes endnotes and, in some cases, additional figures. Entries are updated to reflect current data.]

A Fissile Material Cutoff Treaty

Advocates of nuclear reductions have sought since the 1950s a Fissile Material Cutoff Treaty (FMCT) that would cap the amount of fissile material available for nuclear weapons and lay a basis for irreversible reductions. With the end of the Cold War, both the Soviet Union/Russia and the United States decided to support an FMCT and, in 1993, the UN General Assembly passed by consensus a resolution calling for the negotiation of:

"a non-discriminatory, multilateral and international and effectively verifiable treaty banning the production of fissile material for nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices."


www.fissilematerials.org...


Des


edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive
 


Knowing TEPCO, they will probably bottle it and try to sell it


You couldn't pay me to touch it...nor believe one word TEPCO had to say about it's safety .

Des



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive
 


An article from 1967 on the subject.

www.jstor.org...

Sorry, it's a scan of the report so I can't seem to post the text.

Based on this and other data, it appears that most of the radioactivity can be removed, but you will be waiting a LONG time before you see me drinking any of it.
edit on 5-6-2011 by matadoor because: Posted before I was done with it...



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Purplechive
 


Knowing TEPCO, they will probably bottle it and try to sell it


You couldn't pay me to touch it...nor believe one word TEPCO had to say about it's safety .

Des



Gives a whole new meaning to "Snake Oil"...



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
What gave Superman such a downer when he encountered it?

Kryptonite...

Sucked the superpowers right out of him...weak and feeble...

Uhummmm...

- Purple Chive



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Another little tidbit about Krypton...

www.ead.anl.gov...

Wow...to be so enlightened about all of these wonderful radioactive isotopes - such a warm and fuzzy feeling!!

- Purple Chive



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive
Another little tidbit about Krypton...

www.ead.anl.gov...

Wow...to be so enlightened about all of these wonderful radioactive isotopes - such a warm and fuzzy feeling!!

- Purple Chive


Just gives you those glowing happy thoughts...huh.



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone
 


I've been looking through some of those docs DancedWithWolves linked us to, but like this one

www.nsc.go.jp...(3)/20110406-04.pdf

But it's really frustrating, I can't translate enough to know whether it's news or not, and lack the knowledge to decode the dose/levels/nuclides, but this pdf for example lists an interesting cocktail (is that tellerium, strontium, cesium, iodine 129...?) Are these the figures/info I remember Arnie mentioning about that time or is it fresh?



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone
 


So what are we saying, were they tracking Krypton 85 because it and say iodine 129 were easily/accurately monitored indicators of criticality emissions, (because of the values 80-140 found in such events) and in that case was it evidence of ongoing fission events involving uranium and/or plutonium, or was it's significance the criticality of plutonium?

Also, if these were essentially tracers, does that lead one to conclude, that the same plume likely contained rather more disturbing cocktail of alpha and gamma emittors?



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
reply to post by Destinyone
 


So what are we saying, were they tracking Krypton 85 because it and say iodine 129 were easily/accurately monitored indicators of criticality emissions, (because of the values 80-140 found in such events) and in that case was it evidence of ongoing fission events involving uranium and/or plutonium, or was it's significance the criticality of plutonium?

Also, if these were essentially tracers, does that lead one to conclude, that the same plume likely contained rather more disturbing cocktail of alpha and gamma emittors?


BINGO...You win the Kewpie Doll...byproduct of fission, fission...and more fission...the poolium is a cauldron of bad fizzies...with those pesky neutron beams haphazardly shooting around too....yep, just one great big old circus of horrors...


edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Workers...treated for dehydration..



Yeah right...how stupid do they think we are???

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Sigh...

- Purple Chive



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Workers...treated for dehydration..



Yeah right...how stupid do they think we are???

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Sigh...

- Purple Chive


Water water everywhere...but not a drop to drink. TEPCOS new nightmare...

Des



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by Purplechive

Workers...treated for dehydration..



Yeah right...how stupid do they think we are???

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Sigh...

- Purple Chive


Water water everywhere...but not a drop to drink. TEPCOS new nightmare...

Des



And it's only 62 degrees...www.weathercity.com...

Can you imagine how depressed the Ancient Mariner would be right now? And he thought the albatross was a problem...

- Purple Chive



posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Good morning fellow collective brain cells (Des hurry back.)

I would appreciate some help from our more nuclear inclined posters. We have new data released from the Ministry of Education and Science that was withheld specifically regarding the Tokyo area after the Unit 3 MOX reactor "explosion." These results are related to Krypton 85. There are more charts at SKF and in Japanese on the ministry site here




Thanks again to the EX-SKF site investigative and translation skills.

#Fukushima Nuke Accident: WSPEEDI Shows Tokyo Was Under Radioactive Plume on March 15




Japan's ever-sneaky Ministry of Education and Science again quietly released 3 sets of simulation maps of WSPEEDI without any press release nor any explanation; this time it was the simulations that they did on March 15. The Reactor 3 that used MOX fuel blew up on March 14 at 11:01AM JST.

Last time, the Ministry put out on May 10 the WSPEEDI simulation done on March 25. That simulation, if disclosed in a timely manner, may have prevented many, many children from developing thyroid cancer in the future.

One set of the maps is about krypton-85 surface concentration. The maps show the band extending well beyond Tokyo and Kanagawa.

That at least proves one thing, that Tokyo and Kanagawa were probably bombarded with radioactive materials on March 15. I remember seeing posts in Japanese message boards that day and afterwards saying people had a metallic taste in their mouth that day, that people started to have nosebleed and fell ill. Both were attacked and dismissed as "malicious rumors".

All the government needed to do was to warm people in Tokyo and Kanto area that day to skip work and school. Shut the doors and windows and stay indoors.

When Hiroaki Koide of Kyoto University testified on May 23 in a government committee (Upper House, government oversight committee), the data he said he had been told by his superior not to publish was the data of radiation in Tokyo on March 15.

But why were the government experts interested in krypton-85? What does krypton-85 represent? And iodine-129? (The simulation maps are only about krypton-85; they are still sitting on iodine-129 maps or any other maps of other nuclides.)


edit on 5-6-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)


Krypton 85:

en.wikipedia.org...


Krypton 85 (85Kr) is a radioisotope of krypton.

It decays into rubidium-85, with a half-life of 10.756 years and a maximum decay energy of 0.687 MeV. Its most common decay (99.57%) is by beta particle emission with maximum energy of 687 keV and an average energy of 251 keV. The second most common (0.43%) is by beta particle emission (maximum energy of 173 keV) followed by gamma ray emission (energy of 514 keV).[1] Other decay modes have very small probabilities and emit less energetic gammas.[2] The only other long-lived radioisotope of krypton is krypton-81 with a 210,000 year half-life; others have half-lives of less than two days.

Krypton-85 is produced in small quantities by the interaction of cosmic rays with the stable krypton-84 (which is present in concentrations of about 1 cm3 per cubic meter). However, since the mid-1940s, much larger quantities have been artificially produced as a product of nuclear fission. When uranium-235, or another fissile nucleus fissions, it usually splits into two large fragments (fission products) with mass numbers around 90-140, and two or three neutrons. About three atoms of krypton-85 are produced for every 1000 fissions (i.e. it has a fission yield of 0.3%).[3] This is only about 20% of the total fission product of mass 85, as most decay from a short-lived excited state of 85Kr directly to 85Rb without passing through the longer-lived nuclear isomer.

About 5 million curies of the isotope was released into the atmosphere as a result of nuclear weapons tests between 1945 and the end of atmospheric testing in 1962. The 1979 accident at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant released about 50,000 curies of Kr-85 into the atmosphere[3] and the Chernobyl accident released about 5 million curies.[4] The atmospheric concentration of krypton-85 peaked in around 1970, when it reached around 10 picocuries per metre3. Since then the cessation of atmospheric weapons tests and the reduced production of plutonium has, because of the short half life of the isotope, led to a sharp reduction in the atmospheric concentration, according to the Human Health Fact Sheet.

For wide-area atmospheric monitoring, krypton-85 is the best indicator for clandestine plutonium separations.[5]

A large nuclear power plant produces about 300,000 curies of the isotope per year, most or all retained in the spent nuclear fuel rods. Nuclear reprocessing currently releases Kr-85 to the atmosphere when the spent fuel is dissolved. It would also be possible to capture and store it as nuclear waste or for use.

.


Well that's a start. Any PF/physicists got the knowledge to take this further re: interpreting this data release into a better understanding of the 'source term' that the Jap Gov was working with at the time of it's calculation/monitoring? And what that means in the bigger picture?


Am translating this page. Using google tranlater. Will keep adding to this post aas I get more. Here is the first paragraph. The links seem to be pertaining to R-1 and R-2 for the date of March 12. This is the sentence from the first link, after the paragraph.

The first nuclear power plant reactor 1 Fukushima (hypothetical accident) March 12, 2011 (Saturday)

Here is the paragraph at the top of the page.

Japanese to English translation
Radiation effects predicted rapid Emergency Network Systems (SPEEDI) results due

The Ministry of Education, since March 11 accidents of nuclear power plants Fukushima Daiichi, as emergency response, SPEEDI mode for emergency situations, the amount of units (Becquerel 1) Prediction of assuming emission I do. In addition, when asked the assistance of the Ministry of Education, quickly and flexibly to cope with, set the conditions for calculating the hypothetical trial SPEEDI is due. When the results are as follows. The global version SPEEDI (WSPEEDI) including results.

I'll keep looking for pertinent data, and posting it here.

ETA...OK, this link should lead you to the translated page...If you want to do it yourself for any document. go to geele translate, choose Japanese to English. Paste in the URL to the doc, and hit translate. Thev open the new url in a new tab, it will translate everything in that doc.

translate.google.com... er%2Fdetail%2F__icsFiles%2Fafieldfile%2F2011%2F05%2F10%2F1305746_0312_01.pdf&act=url

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
513
<< 913  914  915    917  918  919 >>

log in

join