It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 909.htm
<< 906  907  908    910  911  912 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThousandIslandSunny
reply to post by Silverlok

No, all of Japan is not highly irradiated. Tokyo is not highly irradiated. Nor is any of the south. Fukushima is, and there are a few areas, like Ibaraki which I would not go to for any reason right now.

Sacrificing the few here, for the many, is not something that would sit well with me. Sacrificing my children and my own life blowing that thing up would not be acceptable to me. There are real people here whose lives mean anything.

Im no shill. I just dont fancy bits of irradiated shrapnel flying round if that thing is entombed and blows up, which could and would kill INNOCENT people.

I dont belong here. Im not American, and my interests are not there either. My interests are wholly 3 children here who I am desperate to not get sick or die.

Good luck everyone and bye.

This is a hugely important point and I have been over it ( in my mind) hundreds( and hundreds ... to the point wherein I do not sleep ) of times ....at a month , ...been WAY TOO long for "control", but still try stuff,,,at two months ..only entombment..at three months : STOP THE CRIMINAL ACTIVITY(so we can reduce the number of deaths) ...what else can one do: it is either inform or fight ...for whom ever's sake this is the biosphere being altered for decades and centuries and millennia ,

and I APOLOGIZE FOR ATTACKING , however I do not apologize for my estimations ... dust , like rust never sleeps , and never have we seen a land (dust) or ocean polluted like this , for generations yet born radiation poisoning (in Honshu at least) will be something taught at a very early age..and within ten years Japan will no longer have the 'oldest' average populous ...I wish it were not so

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Hello all, sorry been moving and away for a few days... catching up.

Silver, I don't think TIS understands Alpha radiation as I have mentioned this to her before and been ignored. As long as everything on JapGov and random online Geiger counters appears normal (or even 'not too bad' - whatever that means) it seems to satisfy her. Cognitive dissonance at work with this individual, not that I blame her in the situation she is in. There are, I imagine, many folks in similar circumstances who would love to leave but can't afford it and must make the horrible choice of wrecking their lives for something that is hard to convince is 'that bad' - especially when their Gov keeps trying to reassure them it's all safe. I don't envy anyone in this situation - in fact, we're all pretty much in this situation!

Craving hard data is understandable since that would give someone a 'bug out now' switch, unfortunately it's exactly this info that is either withheld or difficult to reliably obtain. Alpha rad measures require special equipment, I imagine this info is scarce in Toyko if you are civilian, all the worse for trying to get folks to listen to us when we say LEAVE TOYKO, especially if you have young kids.

TIS I've listened to your reasons and I don't think a bad husband is a good excuse to knowingly allow poisoning your children, anyway, that's just MO. Sorry if that seems harsh, you seem like a nice lady, but you have all the info you need in this thread to make the right choice if only you look.

I've started a searchable database with every single source referenced in this thread. It is a huge project - it will take some time (with my schedule probably 2 - 3 months) to enter all the data. I doubt that any amount of data is really going to make a difference to someone intent on ignoring it, but we've had several requests for this on the thread. The radiation that is spewing out is going to continue spewing out for several years (until it's covered) so we have lots of time to compile the info.

I want to remind everyone of what TRN said (might not be word for word, but close enough) --

The cores have gone out of mans hands are now governed by the laws of physics. He said this, oh, about 400 pages or so ago.

Once these reactors went into full meltdown all we can hope to do is try to re-establish some kind of containment via some kind of walls, cement, etc etc. The fact they are still fussing with cooling at this point is nothing more than PR. You can't cool the corium mass. Since they don't know what to do they must appear to be doing something I suppose. The fact that they aren't capped yet tells me that the corium is in the bedrock and on its way to China as we thought long ago, ie: it can't be capped.

Wiki
edit on 1-6-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I just had a strange thought. If you could survive looking down into the hole that the corium leaves on it's way down through the rock, into the cracks and fissures, slowing and stopping then restarting, there is surely nothing else that has been experienced like it on earth. This is a first.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

.er as so often , no .(your part rocked though)..the implication from the unspoken portion of the "jAPO-SPEECH"
is that :Tepco is now talking about 5 (and 6) because they are distracting from the other disasters..the most likely event is that , after the loss of cooling for 20+ hours they lost parts ofd their rods and have been the secondary ion -radiation release mechaism in the public eye....

crimnal...

..the silence of the "resposible" (government ) peopole on the planet is of certaintent interest

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Good post Wertwog. You may be right, that they may not know what to do as it stands now, as far as the corium situation. But TEPCO had to know from day one that meltdown was a reality on 3-11. The laws of physics don't change and they knew what was happening all along. Had they had any intention of acting in good faith they would have started drilling or something to get below the mass on day 1 or day 2, period. They are trying to play everyone as if they didn't know and will claim that they were/are inept. ALL LIES. They are not trying to end this nightmare and before it is over they will see to it that all of the spent fuel rods in all 6 reactors poison us through the air, water and the soil. And it is a concerted effort by all governments and regulatory agencies in the world as they all conceal everything about it. As Wishes posted earlier, NATO can sure get after LIBYA, with who knows the extent of technology up their sleeve, but let Fukushima go up in smoke and poison the earth.

The truth of the matter is, the US, UK, and all of NATO are currently and have been using tons of depleted uraniunm as weapons of mass destruction in the Middle East. The depleted uranium has traveled all over the world though, and is in the drinking water of Los Angelas and every where else. All by design. TPTB know exactly what is going on and it is going as planned. TEPCO are Puppets/Stooges and will be rewarded for doing their job well.

Didn't mean to go off again, so let me say again, GOOD POST!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOMOREFEDRESERVE

The truth of the matter is, the US, UK, and all of NATO are currently and have been using tons of depleted uraniunm as weapons of mass destruction in the Middle East. The depleted uranium has traveled all over the world though, and is in the drinking water of Los Angelas and every where else. All by design. TPTB know exactly what is going on and it is going as planned. TEPCO are Puppets/Stooges and will be rewarded for doing their job well.

Didn't mean to go off again, so let me say again, GOOD POST!

I believe you are correct in what you state

However (please bear with this slightly OT but within the boundarys tangent!);
I do not see how 'TPTB' or various factions that comprise of aforesaid 'entity' (including ourselves if we choose as such), benefit from radiation. Sure reduction of population is pretty much needed without technological advancement or a big kick in the ass to the way we as a planet think, however if the planet is a nuclear wasteland, the elite don't get to come out and play from their bunkers or offworld stations for nearly a million years!

Que bono? Aka, who stands to gain?

No one stands to gain.

I am a firm believer in scalar em/haarp type tech, to which I've researched into for years, which various corporations/countries/groups posess, enabling them able to cause such earthquakes and other effects, however I do not see a motivation or benefit (unless they are some sort of energy vampire entities) that could occur from implementing a plan such as this we see now.

As an added note, the very technology mentioned above (scalar aka quantum field maniupulation) can be used to stop the incident also.. be it from our collective mind or from our fellows..

Just something to mull over for the fellow consipiracy theorists

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Latest press release

Press Release (Jun 01,2011)
Plant Status of Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station (as of 3:00 pm, June 1)

On March 11 2011, turbines and reactors of Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power
Station Units 1 to 4 (Boiling Water Reactors, rated output 1,100
Megawatts) that we had been constantly operating at rated thermal output
were automatically shut down at 2:48 pm due to the
Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake (previously announced on March 11).

At 7:15 pm on March 15, the reactor of Unit 4 achieved cold shutdown. As a
result, all reactors of Units 1 to 4 at Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power
Station achieved cold shutdown (previously announced on March 15).

As of 3:00 pm on June 1, the reactors of Unit 1 to 4 are in cold shutdown
(please refer to the appendix). We continue to make our endeavors to
stabilize each plant.

·There is no update from the previous press release.

I have bolded the text above
bottom of this page for this and other press releases

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Guidelines set for rumor damage compensation

The spin....www3.nhk.or.jp...

And yet this article also on NHK...

High levels of strontium detected at Fukushima

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Reading this crap over coffee in the morning...a shame too early in the day to resort to something stronger than coffee!!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Japan's damaged nuclear plant leaking oil

TOKYO, May 31 (UPI) -- Oil is leaking into the sea from Japan's damaged Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant and may have been doing so since the earthquake and tsunami, officials said.

Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said workers at the site saw an oil slick 200 to 300 yards long floating on the sea Tuesday near the intakes of reactor units 5 and 6, The Japan Times reported.

Tepco spokesman Junichi Matsumoto said the utility believes the leak probably started on or shortly after March 11, noting the tsunami pushed heavy oil tanks for reactors 5 and 6 more than 10 yards to the north.

www.upi.com...

Hope you enjoy dipping your sushi in oil...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Press release today 1st June 2011

On April 16th, in order to check the condition of the water in the spent
fuel pool of Unit 2, we collected and conducted a nuclide analysis of
approximately 400 ml of water that flowed out of the pool into the
skimmer surge tanks, and as a result iodine-131, cesium-134, and
cesium-137 were detected. Later we conducted detailed analysis, and on
May 31 we concluded that the large portion of spent fuel is sound.

- At 11:40 am on May 31, we conducted leakage test on the primary system
of the alternative cooling system of the spent fuel pool at Unit 2. At
5:21 pm on the same day, we started the operation. At 6:11 pm we reached
to the rate flow (approx. 100m3/h). Later at 1:47 am on June1, we
adjusted the flow rate to 80m3/h.

At 5:06 am on June 1, we stopped primary pumps. From 6:06 am, we started
fresh water injection through spent fuel pool cooling and filtering
system of Unit 2. At 6:53, we finished the injection and at 7:06 am we
reactivated primary pumps.

- On April 12, in order to check the condition of the water in the spent
fuel pool of Unit 4, we collected approx. 200ml of the water in the pool
using concrete pumping vehicle. On April 13, we conducted nuclide
analysis of the sample and detected Cesium 134, Cesium 137, and Iodine
131. Later we conducted detailed analysis, and on May 31 we concluded
that the large portion of spent fuel is sound.

- At approximately 2:30 pm on May 31, big sound was confirmed at the
southern side of the reactor building of Unit 4, where wireless unmanned
heavy machineries were removing rubbles. We confirmed that it was the
impact sound when the unmanned heavy machinery tucked and broke some
cylinder. Nobody got injured. There was no change in the data of the
monitoring post.

- We analyzed strontium in seawater collected on May 9 and detected
strontium 89 and 90.

- On May 31, we sprayed dust inhibitor to the area of approx. 8,750m2
including near the main gate.

Link

also

- At 8:00 am on May 31, 2011, we confirmed oil leakage to the sea around
the curtain wall of the water intake canal of Unit 5 and 6, Fukushima
Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. As a result of our investigation, we
confirmed that oil leaked from pipes around seawall to the port through
holes of steel sheet piles and that the leakage already stopped. Since
the diffused area was just around the curtain wall and the surface of
the sea around Shallow Draft Quay and the oil film was very thin, we
confirmed that there is no spread to the outer sea. We completed
installing oil-absorbing mat around seawall at approximately 2:00 pm and
also installed oil fences at 4:50 pm. We plan to protect pipes around
seawall and collect the oil.

- At approximately 1:10 pm on May 31, one of the partner companies' workers
who were installing cables at Centralized Radiation Waste Treatment
Facility got a finger in his right hand injured. After the intravenous
drip at the power station, he was transferred to J Village at 2:26 pm.
Then at 3:35 pm he was transferred from J Village to Fukushima accident
Hospital. There was no contamination to his body.

and

Operation for cooling the spent fuel pools
- At 5:21 on May 31, we started cyclic cooling of the spent fuel pool in
Unit 2 using alternative cooling system for fuel pool cooling and
filtering system. At 6:11 pm on the same day, the rated flow reached to
approx. 100m3/h. Later at 1:47 am on June1, we adjusted the flow rate to
80m3/h.

Link

edit on 1-6-2011 by qmantoo because: additional data and duplication

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
ThousandIslandSunny: This issue is really too important for you or any of us to run off claiming that our feelings are hurt. We owe it to the people in Japan who are suffering (as you are too) to put aside our emotions and to just get on with the job as best we can. It is difficult I know, but you have to remember that we all come from different cultures and backgrounds and we are trying to work together here to bring about a "best solution in the face of incompetence or enemies". Please try to understand that we are all in this together and although it may affect you sooner than it will us - because you are on the ground in Japan, we will all have to suffer the consequences of the ba5tards who do not seem to care what happens or who have a far bigger agenda about which we know nothing. So, here's hoping that you will reconsider and try to put our differences aside for the good of everyone in the world. (Dont forget one of the tools in the arsenal of those who are fighting against us is trying to divide and conquer our opposition to their plan)

On another note....
OK I was not going to post this as I was afraid that documents would be moved etc, but it seems that it is better for us all to use the information mow rather than one or two of us keeping it to ourselves. What I have found from our best friend Google putting in this into the search box
site:tepco.co.jp -www -thunder +fukushima

I may have totally got the wrong end of the stick and I may have let my conspiracy mind run away with me. If so please point it out and I will go and stand in a corner. :-) As far as I can interpret the pictures on these pages, I think....

we have a map of the monitoring positions around reactors 1-4

This is what MP-7 (monitoring position?) looks like

This is how it works

Since I cannot read Japanese, I have absolutely no idea what this map tells us, I assume it is background radiation perhaps?

I think this is a PDF of temperature readings of reactors 5 & 6 by hour
on the 27th May
and the 31st May

And I guess this is showing a problem with reactor 5?

German nuclear industry rattling their swords.
German Nuclear Operator Threatens Suit Over Ban
Really though, if they want a fight, there are so many things which could be dredged up to show that nuclear energy is unsafe that they cannot be serious?

radioactive density of seawater

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Right, so now I have been accused of not protecting my children from poisoning and also of `running off` and sulking.

Lets get this straight, I cannot leave. I do not want to go into my personal business here online, thats just not something I feel comfortable with, but I CANNOT leave. I do not have to justify why I cannot leave to some strangers judging me across the internet.

Secondly, Tokyo is NOT highly irradiated. There is no more than background radiation, and the tap water is currently showing not detectable levels of radiation. The MEXT site, various citizens who are doing their best to monitor the situation, greenpeace. They ALL show the levels in TOKYO, and my area as being at normal background levels. I do believe it is not worth taking risks with tap water, and food, and for what its worth Im buying imported food and water. Again, I do not have to justify myself to you.

Let me ask you this, if those citizens with dosimetres and MEXT had shown high radiation, you would believe them, Im sure. So why is this data inadmissible? Because it does not suit your current paradigm?

I felt I had the right to defend myself, from these FOUL attacks, and now I have done so, Ill # off. Translate your own damn maps. Oh yes, you cant. Oh well then.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Here is a Google page that does Japanese to English translation;

translate.google.com...|en|%0D%0A

Hope this helps..

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
ThousandIslandSunny: This issue is really too important for you or any of us to run off claiming that our feelings are hurt. We owe it to the people in Japan who are suffering (as you are too) to put aside our emotions and to just get on with the job as best we can. It is difficult I know, but you have to remember that we all come from different cultures and backgrounds and we are trying to work together here to bring about a "best solution in the face of incompetence or enemies". Please try to understand that we are all in this together and although it may affect you sooner than it will us - because you are on the ground in Japan, we will all have to suffer the consequences of the ba5tards who do not seem to care what happens or who have a far bigger agenda about which we know nothing. So, here's hoping that you will reconsider and try to put our differences aside for the good of everyone in the world. (Dont forget one of the tools in the arsenal of those who are fighting against us is trying to divide and conquer our opposition to their plan)

On another note....
OK I was not going to post this as I was afraid that documents would be moved etc, but it seems that it is better for us all to use the information mow rather than one or two of us keeping it to ourselves. What I have found from our best friend Google putting in this into the search box
site:tepco.co.jp -www -thunder +fukushima

I may have totally got the wrong end of the stick and I may have let my conspiracy mind run away with me. If so please point it out and I will go and stand in a corner. :-) As far as I can interpret the pictures on these pages, I think....

we have a map of the monitoring positions around reactors 1-4

This is what MP-7 (monitoring position?) looks like

This is how it works

Since I cannot read Japanese, I have absolutely no idea what this map tells us, I assume it is background radiation perhaps?

Translation

Around us, if there is a variety of natural radioactive substances such as potassium and uranium, they were there since the earth is constantly followed by radiation out.

The amount of radiation is dependent on geology, there are significant regional differences.

I think this is a PDF of temperature readings of reactors 5 & 6 by hour
on the 27th May
and the 31st May

And I guess this is showing a problem with reactor 5?

German nuclear industry rattling their swords.
German Nuclear Operator Threatens Suit Over Ban
Really though, if they want a fight, there are so many things which could be dredged up to show that nuclear energy is unsafe that they cannot be serious?

radioactive density of seawater

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

A side by side of supposed "current" cameras;

news.tbs.co.jp... (no lights)

www.tepco.co.jp... (lite up)

So much for "new" open info policy!!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Source : www3.nhk.or.jp...

Snow on Fukushima peaks found to be radioactive
Snow in the mountains in Fukushima Prefecture is showing radioactive contamination at levels above the safety limit for drinking water. Researchers from Fukushima University performed the analysis with a local environmental group. They sampled snow in 31 locations and at different altitudes from 7 peaks around Fukushima city, from mid-April through early May. The results showed that snow in 14 locations contained more than 200 becquerels per kilogram of radioactive cesium, the adult safe limit for drinking water. A sample of snow from an altitude of 1,300 meters contained 3,000 becquerels of cesium.

This mess just keeps growing.

I really think someone in the Japanese Government needs to step up and put an end to the endless lies spewing from TEPCO.

M.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I certainly wouldn't sit down and drink a calming cup of tea. Oh, wait a minute, there is a process tea can go through that causes radiation to disappear. And even if it doesn't, a little cesium never hurt anyone!!

"Local farmers have been thrown into confusion after the health and farm ministries expressed differing views over shipments of tea harvested in Kanagawa Prefecture after fresh leaves were found to have exceeded government limits for radioactive cesium.

The Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry has been trying to restrict shipments of tea leaves from the prefecture about 300 kilometers from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant due to health concerns. The Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry, however, has claimed that despite the high levels of radioactive material, drinking tea made from the leaves would be safe because the radioactive material would be diluted.

One tea farmer in the prefecture grumbled, "I have no idea what's going to happen. I want them to clear things up."

The radiation safety limit for tea leaves is 500 becquerels per kilogram, the same as for vegetables, while the limit for tea drinks is 200 becquerels per kilogram, the same as for drinking water.

There have been no reports of drinks exceeding the 200-becquerel limit made from radiation-contaminated tea leaves. But fresh tea leaves harvested May 9-12 in six municipalities in the prefecture were found to have been contaminated with more than 500 becquerels of radioactive material.

Radiation levels for dried tea leaves that have been minimally processed (ara cha) are said to be five times higher than in just-harvested leaves. Dried tea leaves originally harvested in Minami-Ashigara, Kanagawa Prefecture, were found to contain 3,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium.

Shipments of tea leaves from the prefecture are currently under voluntarily suspension. But making the suspension legally binding is up to the government's nuclear crisis headquarters led by Prime Minister Naoto Kan.

The health ministry has asked 14 prefectures, including Shizuoka and others in the southern Tohoku and Kanto-Koshinetsu regions, to inspect farm produce, as radioactive material has spread over a wide area. On Monday, the ministry ordered additional tests on dried tea leaves.

"Even though [radioactive materials] are diluted when the tea is consumed, would consumers feel safe with tea leaves containing several thousand becquerels of radiation on the market? We need to restrict shipments of tea leaves," an official of the health ministry's Inspection and Safety Division said.

But an official of the farm ministry's Agricultural Production and Marketing Promotion Division said: "Tea leaves are basically raw materials. It's not reasonable to impose restrictions when they're at the leaf stage."

According to the division, radioactive materials are diluted to from one-30th to one-45th when tea is made from minimally processed leaves. Radiation is reduced by one-sixth to one-ninth in tea made from fresh leaves.

Therefore, if tea is made from fresh tea leaves containing 1,000 becquerels of radiation, the radiation levels would drop to around 100 becquerels, a level below the government's safety limits.

"The 500-becquerel limit is too strict. Even though tea leaves aren't supposed to be eaten raw, they're subject to the same limit as vegetables," the farm ministry official said. "We don't have rules on what stage of processing should be restricted. So restricting shipments under these circumstances would only create confusion."

According to international standards, the annual acceptable dose of cesium from food is five millisieverts. If a person were to consume one liter of tea containing 200 becquerels of cesium every day for a year, he or she would consume about one millisievert of radiation.

Tea farmers have been frustrated with the government's indecisiveness on the matter.

Hisao Nakamura, a 74-year-old tea farmer from Minami-Ashigara, said: "We've thrown away all the ichibancha top-quality tea leaves picked so far. That cost us more than 1 million yen."

"The harvest of second-tier nibancha tea is scheduled to start next month, but we need to start preparing now," Nakamura said. "We want them to quickly decide on safety limits for radiation and whether we'll be compensated if we're not allowed to ship our leaves.""

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Did you all see this from Michio Kaku on CNN
Some of the truth comes out on MSM!

edit on 31-5-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

CNN is ramping up coverage of this, I seen that segment.

Just found this breaking on CNN...

Japanese seniors volunteer for Fukushima 'suicide corps'

edition.cnn.com...

Tokyo (CNN) -- Up a narrow flight of stairs in a modest, non-descript office building, three retirees sit in a cramped room, hunched over their computers and mobile phones. They look like the planning committee for a neighborhood senior breakfast, not the leaders of a 250-member team attempting to defuse one of the worst nuclear meltdowns in history.

But that's exactly what 72-year-old Yasuteru Yamada hopes his seniors group, the Skilled Veterans Corps, will do: help end the crisis at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

Also a good video in that report.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Well, at least we know that the nuclear industry would NEVER think of trying to dismiss Fukushima as an overaction of public opinion that threatens the progress of the nuclear power generation business. After all, only 1 nation has decided to downscale nuclear power (and this is good??)..

Nuclear Industry Association of South Africa (Niasa) chairperson Dr Rob Adams said on Wednesday that investment in nuclear power would not only ease South Africa’s energy shortage, but would also allow for significant job creation.

Adams, who delivered a keynote speech on behalf of Energy Minister Dipuo Peters at the Nuclear Industry Localisation Conference (NILC) in Cape Town, said that nuclear would remain a large part of the Integrated Resources Plan (IRP), which sets out South Africa’s energy mix over 20 years.

The country’s intention to invest in nuclear power is “extremely positive” for the nuclear industry, said World Nuclear Association director of trade and transport Serge Gorlin.

He highlighted the current state of nuclear programmes and build plans around the world, following the crisis at the earthquake- and tsunami-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan.

Germany is currently the only country to have taken the drastic step of completely closing its nuclear programme, with decommissioning of all its nuclear plants to be completed by 2022. Switzerland, while not closing its nuclear energy programme, has also been cautious and will not be replacing three units that have come to the end of their life cycle, Gorlin said.

He added that other countries with established nuclear programmes, such as the UK and the US, were reviewing their existing nuclear plans, but have not fundamentally altered their stance towards nuclear energy generation. Developing countries, such as India and South Korea, were still pursuing growing nuclear energy programmes.

During the question and answer session after Gorlin’s presentation, concern was expressed by participants at the conference over the public perception of nuclear power, which threatened to undermine nuclear growth. Gorlin admitted that at any time “the threat that hangs over nuclear is that governments will change colour and decide not to pursue a nuclear programme”.

The IRP anticipates that 22.6%, or 9 600 MW, of new generation capacity would be derived from nuclear. However, Peters said in her Budget vote speech last week that the country’s approach would be a “cautious” one, following the Japan nuclear crisis.

The NILC is an initiative of Niasa to inform the local industry of opportunities in the nuclear build programme and also to expose them to international nuclear experience

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

TIS:

Please do not take this as an attack- it is not one in any way shape or form.

Commercial geiger counters and other radiation measuring devices do NOT measure alpha. Alphas, while capable of being blocked by your skin or a piece of paper are vicious little buggers when inhaled. They concentrate in various areas of the body depending on what element they are chemically and physically similar to and proceed to do all kinds of nasty things to your body. Some of the strongest alpha emitters are so dangerous than a nanogram ingested or inhaled is a ticket to odd cancers, pain and eventually death.

The rad level readings you are seeing are for betas. The government puts this out and spreads the disinformation of a geiger being a panacea for rad measurement yardsticks- exactly the same way "no plutonium was found outside #3" when in fact they didn't look for it. Factually correct but in spirit a MASSIVE UNFORGIVABLE LIE.

Various suburbs of Tokyo are contaminated with alpha emitters as well as showing hotspots of beta activity. This is fact whether or not you wish it not to be. I understand the normalcy bias- I honestly do. I've been in more bass ackwards situations that I care to remember and possibly the only thing that kept me sane was KNOWING that I would come out the other side. This did not mean that I did not prepare, as best I could, for a worst case scenario.

If I was on Honshu that preparation would be securing plane tickets.

Just my .02

top topics

<< 906  907  908    910  911  912 >>

join