It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 907.htm
<< 904  905  906    908  909  910 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
www.youtube.com.../l

the fog is lifting HUGE waves out there...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
tepco live cam

Are they kidding?? - this is laughable and so insulting to anyone who is paying attention.... Thanks tepco for the disclosure of NOTHING! Just when you thought they couldn't possibly be more obtuse. They say - here - we're going to show you what's really going on. We're going to install a live camera because we are not hiding anything, BUT we're going to pick a camera angle that shows absolutely nothing except which way the wind is blowng the bushes.

ETA - and if that's live - how do you explain this
edit on 31-5-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Just some background info on the site giving heights of buildings, towers, etc numbers of admitted fuel rods and things like that. May well be out of date but sizes of buildings dont get out of date.

water rising in the tunnels

Scientists inspectingFukushima nuclear plant with tower approx 1/2 mile away in background, how close can they be?

Bloomberg article on soil radiation

“They’re going to make decisions on an acre-by-acre basis as to what’s going to happen to these facilities,” she said. “The area around Chernobyl is now a nature park. When you move 100,000 people out of an area, nature does pretty well.”

Tourists visit the earthquake/tsunami-hit areas

Low Radiation: The Petkau Effect (long-term low dosage Vs greater short-term dosage)

Landslides feared at 753 sites in 3 prefs

article about tunnels under nuclear plants to help with cooling

Many nuclear plants have a myriad of tunnels and buildings underground, and many of those tunnels have an exterior layer of concrete that must be protected from water. Plants, like Seabrook, often have waterproof membranes to protect the concrete’s integrity and extensive efforts to drain ground water.

The tunnel and other areas where water seepage was found are part of a safety system used to help cool the reactor when it is being shut down. In addition to the concrete tunnel problem, NextEra found corroded steel supports, piping, and anchor bolts in other areas they inspected but none have degraded concrete or in any way endanger the plant, said NextEra.

Background on US/Japan relations I feel that the US should encourage all US citizens to evacuate Japan - ar at least the affected areas. Why doesn't it do this?

edit on 31-5-2011 by qmantoo because: add landslides and tunnels

edit on 31-5-2011 by qmantoo because: added US/Japan relationship background link

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Sound Of Explosion Heard At Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant - 31st May 2011

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501.TO) said Tuesday that the sound of an explosion was heard at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex, but radiation levels haven't increased and no injuries were reported, Kyodo News reported.

thecomingcrisis.blogspot.com...

I just saw this news on CNN. Haven't been monitoring the live cam tonight, dammit.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Just read about a big explosion near (or in) Unit 4 at Fukushima-1.

Here's a brief translation from Russian -

TOKYO, May 31 - RIA Novosti, Xenia Naka. While cleaning up the territory around the fourth unit of Japanese nuclear power plant "Fukushima-1, an explosion occurred, Kyodo news agency reported with reference to the plant operator TEPCO.

The company investigates the cause of the explosion, but admits that while taking apart the obstructions the employees could hit gas cylinder [container]

Nobody was injured by the explosion, radiation level didn't increase.

original link (in Russian) - rian.ru...

edit on 31-5-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Hi all,

back after an absence. Had to deal with some things IRL and have just managed to catch up on reading the thread.

Re the explosion: according to this report on NHK,

Oxygen cylinder bursts near No. 4 reactor

An oxygen cylinder has burst at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. But the plant operator says the blast caused no damage to the plant's facilities, and no injuries.

At around 2:30 PM on Tuesday, workers reported hearing a loud noise like that of an explosion at the south side of the plant's No. 4 reactor.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company says unmanned heavy machinery removing debris at the site damaged the cylinder, causing it to burst.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 18:48 +0900 (JST)

An oxygen cylinder. They had an oxygen cylinder just lying around, and somehow, a piece of heavy machinery damaged it enough to make it "burst". And if that circled area in the image on the NHK site is supposed to indicate where the explosion happened, it seems to be near the top of building 4 -- which means it's at least 150 feet above the local ground level.

Uh-huh. Right... Well, if TEPCO says it, then it must be true...

Okay, I suppose an oxygen cylinder could just happen to be lying around in some debris for some reason. What it's doing 150 feet up the side of a building I have no idea, but okay, while I don't recall any equipment within the plant area that would require it, okayyyy... it's not totally impossible. If anyone has any suggestion as to why they'd have an oxy cylinder lying among debris (150 ft above the ground, please note), please say so. I know that it could be used as part of oxy-acetylene welding apparatus, but frankly they'd probably use TIG or MIG welders for general work. Oxy-a. would more likely be used for raw cutting of large metal beams and the like. And that sort of thing normally requires skilled hands. Can be done remotely but it's very tricky...

So -- not impossible, but I have my doubts that they'd accidentally "burst" one.

Other stuff:
Night-time pics on that new, oh-so-high-tec and perfectly-located
TEPCO webcam at the site (that they only took 2 1/2 months to install/make public) don't show us an awful lot. The image quality is rather poor. Especially at night. My lil' Sony Handycam takes better images than that.

As for the other live webcam (the TV station one), all I'm getting it on it at the moment is a sort of grainy darkish-brownish view of ...errrmmm... well, of nothing, actually.

More other stuff:
Many weeks ago, I raised the issue that there were reports (later taken down, I believe) that the Unit 5 reactor's SFP was losing water at a much greater rate than it should have. (My posts in relation to this are wayyyy back in the thread but I can dig them up and link them for anyone who's really interested. Or just search my posts in this thread.) At that time, I wondered aloud why so little was being said about this. I also expressed some concerns over it, as it might have indicated a crack in the SFP that was (shock horror!
) leaking!

Then a couple of days ago, we get a report of a heating issue with Unit 5. A pump failure they say. New pump fitted, all hunky dory once more. They say. ("They" being the TEPCO powers that be.)

Now I have a couple of queries, which might need the expertise of Silver, but if anyone else also knows the answers then please feel free...

First: as Units 5 and 6 are supposed to have been in cold shutdown since day one of this ongoing disaster, should there be a great need for ongoing cooling of their respective reactors, to the extent that a few hours without coolant pumping is a matter for great concern? Granted, their SFPs still require cooling, but is the same applicable to the reactors?

Second: if they had to replace a pump to restore cooling, doesn't that mean that there was no back-up cooling pump system available? Or, at least, no effective one?

Third: again, in a recent report (in table form) in a PDF that a member image-posted and linked to just a few pages back, it states that holes were made in the roofs of reactor buildings 5 & 6 to allow hydrogen gas to vent. So again, I'm concerned why they thought this was necessary, if the cooling of the SFPs was within safe limits. As long as spent fuel rods are covered and the water doesn't boil off, no hydrogen should be released. Isn't that what we learned? And in any case, even if that precaution might have been taken in the early days of this groundhog-day nuclear train-wreck "just in case", shouldn't they have got all their cooling systems for the Unit 5 & 6 SFPs and ("cold shut down") reactors in good, reliable order by now, in which case there is no need to even mention these almost comical "holes in the roof"?

Any of you who've read a few of my posts know two things. One, JustMike talks too much. (Shaddup, Mike!
) Two, I like to think out loud as I read between various lines.

Here's my reading between the lines about why they even bother to still mention those holes in the roof that allow hydrogen gas to vent.

Look at the holes-in-the-roof reports this way: why mention something that we've been led to believe is no longer even relevant?

Answer: because it is still relevant!

Conjecture/reading between lines:
They mention it because it means that either ( a ) hydrogen gas is still perhaps occasionally venting because the SFP cooling is not well controlled (ie SFP 5 is cracked and leaking) or ( b ) the SFP is leaking but at the moment they can manage it, however, with just one pretty large seismic jolt, the (presumed) crack could become a canyon and omg...then they will really, really need those holes in the darned roof!

ETA: note that TEPCO finally admitted that SFP 4 cracked as a result of the quake. They have not said boo about 5 or 6 in this regard.

(End of ETA. End of conjecture.)

I have a few other points I'm still puzzling over but I'll save those for later. A lot depends on what we see (if anything) when the sun comes up again at Fukushima Daichi.

Finally, I'd like to express my sincere thanks to those who have contributed. It took me most of yesterday just to go through the latest information and links that have been posted. I'd also like to add my humble welcome to the newcomers who've joined us in the past few days. Great to have you with us.

Best regards,

Mike
edit on 31/5/11 by JustMike because: added an ETA and typo fixes.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Great to see you back. Many others, Silver, SFA, of course Red, and Werthog etc seem to have gotten busy in the world outside. Hope we can keep this thread going. This thing is so very far from over.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This one was ~12 mi ENE of Fukushima Diaichi.
Ma Nature just might slowly shake that house of cards reactor building #4 down...

Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time
* Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 11:26:50 UTC
* Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:26:50 PM at epicenter
Location 37.494°N, 141.237°E
Depth 20.6 km (12.8 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances
58 km (36 miles) NNE of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
74 km (45 miles) ESE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
77 km (47 miles) E of Koriyama, Honshu, Japan
240 km (149 miles) NNE of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 19.5 km (12.1 miles); depth +/- 8.5 km (5.3 miles)
Parameters NST= 35, Nph= 35, Dmin=290.5 km, Rmss=0.93 sec, Gp=173°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=8
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0003vik
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Just read in Russian news that after the last explosion near unit 4 there are traces of petroleum in the sea near units 5 and 6. (link in Russian - gazeta.ru...)

I wonder how it is connected with gas cylinder...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Reactor #5 was in the process of refueling when the earthquake hit.

Which means that the new fuel assemblies had to be onsite, and most likely were being held in the spent fuel pool. The reports I read stated the water temp went up to 92.5 C, but failed to mention when that temp was taken. If just before they got the pumps working, ok, but if it was just after they quit, then the water probably boiled off and those fuel rods have melted down, too.

I don't buy the oxy cylinder story for a second, but if it was an oxy tank, what condition would cause it to rupture? Heat would be my best guess...hard to imagine the kind of physical force required, those things are built tough. If it's hot enough to blow an oxy tank....

Worst part is how trivial everyone outside ATS seems to think all this is.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AstraCat

Thanks for giving us the heads-up on the oil spill. This Japan Today article confirms your report.

I'm not sure if there needs to be any connection between this oil leakage and the alleged oxygen cylinder explosion. "They" say that the oxy cylinder incident was near Unit 4, whereas this oil incident is by Units 5 & 6.

Some extracts from the Japan Today report:

Oil has been found leaking into the sea near the crisis-hit Fukushima nuclear power plant, possibly from nearby oil tanks that may have been damaged in the March earthquake and tsunami, the plant operator said Tuesday, adding that it will set up oil fences to prevent the liquid from spreading into the Pacific Ocean.

The oil slick was found at 8 a.m. by Tokyo Electric Power Co workers who were patrolling the premises of the plant on the Pacific coast, and is believed to be spreading at a 200-300 meter range inside breakwaters.

The article also mentions that the impact from the oil outside of the breakwater area is likely to be "extremely limited". It goes on to say:

Tokyo Electric suspects that the oil may have leaked from tanks located near the water intake for the Nos. 5 and 6 reactors or pipes that deliver the oil, because the March 11 disaster took place when a tanker was supplying oil. One of the tanks was moved from its original location because of the tsunami.

Folks, consider a 960-kiloliter oil tank that has been "moved" by a tsunami. It would not be surprising if it sustained some damage. Such tanks are usually pretty rugged but it would only take a crack in a welded seam to cause leakage -- or a cracked pipe or connector on the wrong side of a shut-off valve.

While of some concern, even if a full tank leaked into the nearby ocean, IMHO it would probably be far less devastating in the long term than the pollution of those waters by radioactive materials that has been taking place for weeks now.

I sincerely hope "they" don't use this oil leak problem as a useful red herring to distract attention away from the real dangers of three reactors that have melted down, and the ongoing consequences developing from them. And of course, concerns about what is really happening in Units 5 and 6.

reply to post by Tallone

Thank you.
Good to be back. I think for around a week I didn't visit ATS at all. Just snowed under (with work, etc). Anyway, I expect that most of the others you mentioned will be back shortly. In the meantime we still have several members posting some excellent material, info and links.

And with that, I must head off to work for a while.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
deleted...
edit on 31-5-2011 by qmantoo because: deleted

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Greenpeace has a dire warning... Greenpeace warns of radioactive sea life off Japan

Welcome back Mike, have missed you lots. I've been busy with other things too, so I completely understand.

I think your assessment of the situation is spot on, Mike. Personally, I think it's so damn out of control, TEPCO is past the point of keeping things under wrap, as they have been.

Des

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Coming to your browser soon! See live new action from Fukushima! Brought to you by the purveyors of truth, TEPCO!!! NOT>>>

Lights, camera, action: as of Tuesday morning Fukushima Daiichi will literally be in the spotlight. Tokyo Electric Power Co. A screen shot of the live webcast of Fukushima Daiichi to be launched by Tepco on June 1. Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Monday it will start a live webcast of the nuclear power plant at the center of Japan’s two-month drama. The video will be shot from 250 meters northwest of Unit No. 1 and will show images of Units Nos. 1-3 in real time, the most heavily damaged of the plant’s six reactors, according to Tepco.

blogs.wsj.com...

I could not find a link to this cam on the TEPCO site.
Note that they leave out #4 in that coverage. Lets hope the live TBS cam feed remains up to compare what we see, I'd hate to have TEPCO as the sole provider of video feeds.

ETA: Maluhia has the link up near the top of the page, missed it in the fast scan this morning

edit on 31-5-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2011 by Tworide because: dislexic

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Really big, BIG ripple...Bloomberg carries the news that TEPCO never wanted to hear. Their credit rating lowered to JUNK status, by S&P. Oh my, is that the Karma Bus I hear in the distance...

Tepco’s Corporate Ratings Cut to Junk by S&P
By Ryan Woo - May 30, 2011 7:55 AM ET

Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s corporate credit ratings were lowered to junk status by Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services, which cited an increasing likelihood that banks may restructure some of the utility’s debts.

Shares of the utility have fallen 85 percent since March 10. Tepco rose 1.6 percent to close at 326 yen today, before the S&P downgrade.

“Tepco’s worsening financial position increases the likelihood its lender banks could restructure its borrowings,” S&P said. “Any waiver of loans or distressed restructuring, such as a lowering of interest rates on existing loans, constitutes a form of default and would trigger a lowering of the corporate credit ratings on Tepco to SD -- Selective Default. www.bloomberg.com...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'm hearing reports of people returning to Fukushima in particular.
Is this within a 30KM radius or outside?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
And, now that the typhoon season is here, bringing copious amount of rain with it, TEPCO is having to deal with something else. TEPCO obviously, didn't factor in this aspect of Mama Nature, into the '"plan"...did they.

Tokyo, May. 31 (BNA) -- Water levels in the basement of the No. 1 reactor building at the stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant increased dramatically on May 29 and 30, raising fears of radioactive water leaking from the site.

The plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), said the water level rose 19.8 centimeters over the 24 hours to 7 a.m. on May 30, 18 times the increase over the previous 24 hours.

They act like rain is something new to the area....what idiots they are

The rising water level, apparently caused by rain flowing into the basement, is the latest headache for workers trying to contain the crisis at the plant. With the typhoon and rainy seasons already drenching Japan, TEPCO had already expressed concern that a deluge could result in leaks.

And the really big DUH moment arrives in a quote...

TEPCO spokesman Junichi Matsumoto said before the latest data was announced: "The roofs of the No. 1, No. 3 and No. 4 reactor buildings have collapsed, so it is unavoidable that rain will get into those facilities."

www.bna.bh...

ETA: Not only is the rain affecting the amounts of radiation leaking into the Ocean and surrounding areas, but, the TIDES, during inclement weather, must be surging through, the once somewhat intact "cooling system" used by TEPCO. Can you imagine the amount of destruction being done to everything underwater/ground there. With each surge of high tides, and pounding waves, the stability of the whole underground structure is being literally "eaten" away.

Toss in the constant EQ;s and what you have is COMPLETE AND UTTER LACK of anything controllable It's a clusterfrick at best.

Des

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Hey Mike!

Guess they forgot to mention, that pesky oil slick is freakin' radioactive...huh.

Makes me mad, it does

Des

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Surprise...surprise...NOT....back to square one, with sandbags Scary news cast in this vid.

Work Suspended At Fukushima Plant Due To Hard Rain - TEPCO Update 30/05/11

www.youtube.com...

Des

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
More bad news...TEPCO scrambling to walk backwards even slower...

High Humidity & Radioactivity at Fukushima No 2 Meltdown, TEPCO Continues Flooding - 30/05/11

Des

top topics

<< 904  905  906    908  909  910 >>

join