It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 891.htm
<< 888  889  890    892  893  894 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
TIS - I am also sorry for the position you find yourself in. You do seem more aware than most and I admire your preparedness and tenacity in doing whatever you can to keep your family safe. As I'm sure you're well aware - keep away from anything pulled from the waters around there.

More radioactive water released -

Total 250 tons of radioactive water leaked into sea early May: TEPCO

Highly contaminated radioactive water that leaked into the sea in earlier May from a pit near a seawater intake of the No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant totaled 250 tons and contained an estimated 20 terabecquerels of radioactive substances, Tokyo Electric Power Co said Saturday.

The estimated amount of radioactive substances from the plant, crippled by the March 11 earthquake and ensuing tsunami, is about 100 times the annual allowable limit for release outside the plant, said TEPCO.

The leak raised the concentration of radioactive substances within the port of the power plant, but the level outside the port did not change significantly, TEPCO said.

The leak from near the No. 3 reactor compares with about 500 tons of radioactive water with 4,700 terabecquerels of radioactive substances that leaked from near the No. 2 reactor from April 1 to 6.

TEPCO reported the latest finding to the government’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, which is expected to ask the utility to take steps to prevent a recurrence.

The utility found out about the leak on May 11 and stopped it by filling the pit with concrete and other substances that day.

Japan Today
edit on 23-5-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by NOMOREFEDRESERVE

OMG. Thank you! And the thing is it takes a comedian to speak the truth. God bless him. He's gone now but man he told it like it is!

Its also a little creepy to hear people LAUGHING at this. Very interesting and odd and funny too. I want to laugh at the people laughing and its all just so effing right.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

Did you ever see someone fall down a flight of stairs and laugh, or see a kid you were playing with stick his tongue on a frozen swing-set and laugh. Sure, sounds cruel and insensitive but it's not unusual to react to fear or terror in such a manner. A lot of people simply don't have the coping skills to deal with what is happening, or the intellect to grasp what in happening.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
TIS, I'm preparing a more detailed response to you... It involves going back through almost 900 pages and digging up all the relevant links I can find for you. Please bear with me, maybe some other folks will help. I truly feel for the situation you are in and need practical and solid answers. We all do actually and the information we need is being withheld from us. We have been able to dig dig and dig to find things here. Des and some others are great diggers.

For the time being though, to answer your question, geiger counters and dosimeters can measure radiation in food. It depends on how they are calibrated. Most counters are calibrated for gamma and beta, or just gamma. They can be set for CPM's or to measure milli/micro seiverts or rems. It's best to set it to mSv for now. They won't pick up alpha particles.

Almost all food from Japan will be contaminated and I would eat imported foods. I will defend this position later but the info you are being given is not accurate - JapGov has increased the allowable limits for this disaster... please be very careful about what they say is a "safe limit". The reality is there is NO SAFE LIMIT for radiation exposure. Even background radiation isn't safe and there are several excellent studies (cited in this thread) showing that even low level radiation can be dangerous over time.

Certain foods, as you know, will bioaccumulate faster. Mushrooms, meat, dairy and leafy green vegetables. You are right to continue to drink bottled/imported water. Many radionuclides can be absorbed by the skin - wear gloves when washing your balcony and masks when outdoors (as this is common practice in Japan you are probably doing this anyway). Don't bring shoes in the house, leave coats outside and handle them with gloves. If you have to wash them take them to a cleaner (don't contaminate your washing machines).

I'll do a more detailed post if you like later. I'm no expect and when I found this thread I was in a bit of a panic and looking for answers. Listening to these folks and doing my own research calmed me down and give me more info, real info, than anywhere else and pointed me to the places I could find more. I've learned A LOT, more than I ever wanted to, about Nuke and nuke effects.

Meanwhile, the latest from Arnie...

The Implications of the Fukushima Accident on the World's Operating Reactors

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive
TextTextText
Hello,

I've been lurking this forum for weeks. I've also lurked numerous other forums. To join a "social media" discussion group...is an anomaly for me. But you folks posting on ATS are simple, inquisitive and brilliant.

An orange "I Survived TMI" t-shirt is in my closet (way to small to wear now). My Dad did not survive. He died a slow painful death to leukemia. My mom evacuated me and my siblings 250 miles away during the crisis. My Dad stayed behind.

- Purple Chive

Wow. Thank you for sharing your experiences here with us. I am rather speechless after your post. Welcome aboard and thank you again, for contributing. There are some fine folks coming through the doors of ATS lately, and a lot of fine ones that have been in here swinging from the early days to get to the truth of this nuclear disaster. I continue to be a grateful reader and so appreciate everything that is being brought forward and compiled for future use and reference in this thread. Bountiful minds. Kind spirits. Kindred co-workers.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThousandIslandSunny
One more thing, I wish people would stop talking about `Japan` as if the whole of Japan is responsible for this. A few very rich, sociopathic, uncaring old men (and this is a country run by old men) have treated the world as if they are idiots, and the people here and abroad as if our lives and safety do not matter at all.

hey I am playing catch up time warp ...

we totally get it , "americans" are not america any more than they are the "american government" , or responsible of the crap the money stolen from them through mafia like tactics is spent on ( how much do cruise missile cost again and how come my local school is closing with an annual budget of 1/10th that ? ) , just as the Japanese people are not ( as a whole ) tepco or 'the' goverment or banks.. we know this feeling better than any other "nation" trust us ..I mean is japan hated as much as the US ? , # people whom are as human as the next guy can't travel some places because like ten guys at the top of the pile are stealing and raping from everyone ...we get it...america is almost the new brown shirt drinking buddy group , but very few of us wear the brown shirts .

on ATS most of the contributors are smart enough to make that distinction , and they know that we have proof that this thread us read by some of the people involved with and effected by FUKUSHIMA , so in most instances it is not ignorance in any sense but instigation and understanding that is pointed to let people know hey it's time to stand up and we are totally agreeing with you because we live the same joke of leader "ship" ( it has been expressed many times on this thread about the reserved nature of Japanese ( and that is hugely respected , disaster USA : looting , disaster Japan , organized assessment )

I think in a sense , down deep everyone her is smart enough to understand what a great loss to this planet your culture would be , and would fight through their tears by provoking you 'JAPANESE' to be more "american" like for a while and take your country back , although I am bot sure what Japanese cowboys would look like

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

Originally posted by ThousandIslandSunny
One more thing, I wish people would stop talking about `Japan` as if the whole of Japan is responsible for this. A few very rich, sociopathic, uncaring old men (and this is a country run by old men) have treated the world as if they are idiots, and the people here and abroad as if our lives and safety do not matter at all.

I think in a sense , down deep everyone her is smart enough to understand what a great loss to this planet your culture would be , and would fight through their tears by provoking you 'JAPANESE' to be more "american" like for a while and take your country back , although I am bot sure what Japanese cowboys would look like

Not to be disrespectful, but I think I have the answer for you. SAMURAI COWBOY! It's actually not bad. It's about a Japanese office worker who gets fed up and decides to be a cowboy in America and about what a huge culture shock and weird transition this is.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Just found this on You Tube. Don't know if it is the real mccoy or not.

Cattle Are Dying From Radiation Poisoning In Japan Right Now. Could This Happen In the U.S.?

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by NOMOREFEDRESERVE

This I can identify. These are places in the no-go-zone, and these animals have not been able to get enough feed, as supply lines are down, and workers have been evacuated. This footage, I recognise from NHK about 6 weeks ago. Im not saying those cows are not sick, but what we were told was `not enough feed and no medicine` and those caring for them have gone.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Not to be disrespectful, but I think I have the answer for you. SAMURAI COWBOY! It's actually not bad. It's about a Japanese office worker who gets fed up and decides to be a cowboy in America and about what a huge culture shock and weird transition this is.

Like crocodile dundee, but with a Japanese salary man instead of that blonde man whose name I cannot remember...? Hum, Im sure any salary man, who works the typical 18 plus hour day, now in searing heat because of no air con, would be very happy to leave Japan, and go cowboy. I think it would work. Grunting for communication, preference for animals to humans, and a liking for things that go bang is pretty much male characteristics whereever you go. (wink).

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

they dont laugh because they have trouble coping. they laugh because its true. its humility. its like laughing at something in a movie because its funny except your the star of the movie.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Silverlok, yes! That is it exactly!

I love both America and Japan very much indeed, though neither were the country of my birth. Ive always been a bit of a wanderer. Thing is about Japan is that people here still care about what others think of them. There is still shame, and honor, and duty, and not just for a few select members of the armed forces, but for every man, woman and child. You do not embarress yourself and shame your family by crying in public, nor by stealing or looting. You bury it all deep, bundle it down and `ganbatte`. You withstand the # that gets thrown your way. Whether it is a silly `gaman` banzai type gameshow, or finding your child dead on the kindergarten bus, you `gaman`, you withstand and do your damndest not to shame yourself in the process.

If I had been evacuated from Fukushima, and the Tepco man had come my way with his pathetic `I am so sorry`, I swear I would have hit him. Im a small, middle aged, greying old woman, and I would have spat in his face and beat him until I got arrested. Not one Japanese person did this. Not one. I saw plenty of angry faces, and if looks could kill, he would have been dead already, but noone punched his lights out. That says a lot about restraint, and probably nothing good about me at all.

After the quake, I went with my little boy to get his sisters home from school. He is not even 5 yet. The power lines were swaying, it was shaking and it was scary, but of course I had to get the girls back. The poor kid was crying his eyes out, and you know what he was told by a passing old grandma? `Hush now, you will upset everybody. Ganbatte`. Basically she told a 4 year old to man up. Whats worse is the poor kid did. But that is Japan. Tough all the way. But they also do what they are told. Public order is no problem here at all. Never is.

The organised crime gangs dont hurt civilians, only each other. You know what, they went into the disaster zone right away, and gave out food and things. They might be gangs, but they are super-patriots. If there are still samurai, those guys are it. Im not romanticising, and i wouldnt want to shake their hands, but they are not all bad.

Japanese wanted to be like the west. Put on the suits, even if it is 45 degrees in the shade and so humid you could cry. They wanted to compete. To do this, they needed nuclear power. Forget being a nation of craftsmen, warriors, and fishermen, they wanted to compete with the west. For a tiny sliver of a country, with no natural resources apart from tough and determined people, this was the deal with the devil - put a load of nuke plants on fault lines and forget about the may be`s.

I love Japan. for all its craziness, I do love it here. I love my family who has taken me in, I love my children, who are Japanese citizens. A few people got very rich indeed here in the 80s bubble. A few people are still getting rich, and still not caring what happens to the people.

Im starting to wonder if they dont want to reduce the population, if they really dont want us all dead, or mostly. Is that insane? 3 meltdowns, and all the national news is saying is `yes they have melted down, but it is all fine, dont panic.` Apparently the melted fuel is being kept cool and contained, with the water at 80 degrees. They are planning to get that down to 40 degrees within a couple of weeks.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
201 Sv/h at Hukushima?

Reactor 1 201 Sv/h

5-10 Sv/h will kill you...

Vitchilo,
Thanks for posting that info.
What they are not telling us is at what distance from the source the reading was taken and that is important.

For example:

If the reading of 201 Sv was taken at 10 metres distance from the source of the radiation then at 20 metres the reading would be 50.25 Sv and at 40 metres it would be 12.5 Sv and so on....

80m = 3.14 Sv/hr
160m = 0.785 Sv/hr
320m = 0.196 Sv/hr
640m = 49.07 mSv/hr
1.280Km = 12.26mSv/hr
2.560Km = 3.06mSv/hr
5.120Km = 767 micro Sv/hr
10.240 Km = 191.75 micro Sv/hr
20.480 Km = 47.94 micro Svhr
40.960 Km = 11.98 micro Sv/hr
80.92 Km = 3 micro Sv/hr

Bearing in mind that in UK, the Government recommended dose rate at safety barriers for Industrial Radiation activity is 7.5 micro Sv/hr it is clear that this is quite serious.

These figures would be for "line of sight" and the shielding provided by surrounding concrete buildings, mountains etc would reduce the dose rates dramatically, but out to sea off the coast and in the air with a line of sight to the reactors the observer will be pretty much unsheilded. This does not take into account any locallized radiation levels from "fallout."

PEACE,
RK

edit on 24-5-2011 by Rigel Kent because: to add the last sentence.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Finally, TEPCO admits that 2 and 3 melted down!

mdn.mainichi.jp...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor
Finally, TEPCO admits that 2 and 3 melted down!

mdn.mainichi.jp...

So the people of ATS who were initially accused of 'fearmongering' were in fact precisely correct in their information ... what a surprise (not).

I suspect that the unspeakable 'lie through your teeth' tactic of TEPCO has cost and will continue to cost more lives than the original earthquake and tsunami death toll combined ... and I doubt this will be restricted to Japanese shores.

It is pathetic how they are now drip feeding us with these daily revelations (that we knew about from the get-go ... thanks to a small group of homegrown ATS'ers with work/educational experience in the subject) in the hopes that it will be a palatable enough for us to swallow.

I cannot express in words how angry the very mention of the name TEPCO makes me physically feel. I feel they are the equivalent of 'war criminals' without a war ... and should be dealt with accordingly.

If they had been honest from the beginning then maybe the husbands of women like TIS would have made the decision to get their wives and children out of harms way sooner.

>>>Note to TIS

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOMOREFEDRESERVE
Just found this on You Tube. Don't know if it is the real mccoy or not.

Cattle Are Dying From Radiation Poisoning In Japan Right Now. Could This Happen In the U.S.?

www.youtube.com...

This video was released some time ago.

The cattle are starving to death. The farmers were evacuated but told they would be able to return after a few days so they left their cattle and other livestock in stalls and barns for safety until they could return. The problem was that after they had left the farmers were then told that they would not be able to return - the cattle and other farm animals were left to die.

Veterinarians have since entered the exclusion zone to humanly kill any cattle and other livestock they could find.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent

Originally posted by Vitchilo
201 Sv/h at Hukushima?

Reactor 1 201 Sv/h

5-10 Sv/h will kill you...

Vitchilo,
Thanks for posting that info.
What they are not telling us is at what distance from the source the reading was taken and that is important.

For example:

If the reading of 201 Sv was taken at 10 metres distance from the source of the radiation then at 20 metres the reading would be 50.25 Sv and at 40 metres it would be 12.5 Sv and so on....

80m = 3.14 Sv/hr
160m = 0.785 Sv/hr
320m = 0.196 Sv/hr
640m = 49.07 mSv/hr
1.280Km = 12.26mSv/hr
2.560Km = 3.06mSv/hr
5.120Km = 767 micro Sv/hr
10.240 Km = 191.75 micro Sv/hr
20.480 Km = 47.94 micro Svhr
40.960 Km = 11.98 micro Sv/hr
80.92 Km = 3 micro Sv/hr

Bearing in mind that in UK, the Government recommended dose rate at safety barriers for Industrial Radiation activity is 7.5 micro Sv/hr it is clear that this is quite serious.

These figures would be for "line of sight" and the shielding provided by surrounding concrete buildings, mountains etc would reduce the dose rates dramatically, but out to sea off the coast and in the air with a line of sight to the reactors the observer will be pretty much unsheilded. This does not take into account any locallized radiation levels from "fallout."

PEACE,
RK

edit on 24-5-2011 by Rigel Kent because: to add the last sentence.

Rigel, as discussed in the other thread, those figures were taken inside the containment, not external to it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

So the people of ATS who were initially accused of 'fearmongering' were in fact precisely correct in their information ... what a surprise (not).

spot on!!
its hard to believe that this was my second post about the nuclear disaster......
my original post was deleted because of fearmongering .
looks to me like all the proper info is about to come spilling out in the media very soon

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is the kind of nonsense that is making me so angry. How can THEY (unidentified TEPCO spokesperson) say crap like this? How? How can they pretend that they can so easily cold shutdown the bedrock now holding at least some of the fuel?

So the story finally hits MSM again and this is what they have to say? Hey TEPCO...you need to also say that if the fuel has melted out of the reactor and your coastline is now your lack-of-containment vessel, the reactor broken shell itself, may not measure what isn't there anymore.

In all three reactors, relatively low temperatures indicated that the fuel was now mostly covered by water that has been pumped into the vessels, meaning there was no immediate threat of an uncontrolled full meltdown.

Wrong. They admitted Unit 1 would not hold water levels to cover the fuel.

"It is highly possible that (partial) meltdowns have occurred at reactors two and three," a TEPCO spokesman said as the firm released its latest analysis of data from the plant after the March 11 quake and tsunami.

"Most of the fuel is believed to have fallen to the bottom (of pressure vessels that contain fuel rods) as has happened in reactor one," he said. "They are now being cooled and are in stable conditions."

What? Being cooled and in stable condition? What dictionary are you guys using because if this is what the nuclear industry calls being cooled and in stable condition, there will be no salvation for any of you. How dare you lie so obviously to people in the path of this crisis.

Japan's March 11 disaster, which left nearly 25,000 people dead or missing, knocked out cooling systems at the Fukushima plant. This led reactors to overheat, triggering the worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl 25 years ago.

Reactors four, five and six were under maintenance when the quake hit.

Well I'm sure there is nothing else that needs said about 4, 5 and 6. Seriously? How could you be so misleading? That is shameful.

TEPCO estimates it will bring all six reactors to safe "cold shutdown", with low pressure and low temperatures, by some time between October and January, although it will take far longer to dismantle the plant.

M SM coverage

For the love of God. This is delusional. How about getting real and working out a real plan to entomb this coastline. The fuel has leaked out. Cold shutdown is now an impossibility. TEPCO, you are wearing your underwear outside your pants. What is wrong with you people? This plan only represents one reality. The reality the banksters bet on when you created your back room financial deal to fund the crisis exit strategy. Guess what...it is worse than you banked on. A bigger plan is needed to stop polluting our world with your poisons. You cannot spend 6 to 9 months patching a reactor that no longer holds all the fuel and call it success.

Is it going to take 60+ more days for you to admit the fuel has leaked out? We are wasting time with this insane denial and people WILL die because you lied. Somebody. Somebody inside please blow the whistle on this so a real plan can commence. There is no honor in this path of deception. None at all.

Silverlok, I need some help here, or others versed in nuclear rodeos, is there any reality in which their statements above could be true? Do you see, with better eyes, any way their "plan" justifies itself and things will improve as they say? Is there a way to cold shutdown this plant? I just don't see it. I don't see it at all. Makes no sense. I truly hope it does for some of our nuclear experts here. What are they thinking?
edit on 24-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Here is some THEY activity at it's finest for you and what's more is it's right here in America In MUD 105 precinct 9. I lived out that way up until about 6 or 7 years ago.

HOUSTON— Newly-released e-mails from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality show the agency’s top commissioners directed staff to continue lowering radiation test results, in defiance of federal EPA rules.

The e-mails and documents, released under order from the Texas Attorney General to KHOU-TV, also show the agency was attempting to help water systems get out of formally violating federal limits for radiation in drinking water. Without a formal violation, the water systems did not have to inform their residents of the increased health risk.

Data tampering, plain and simple.

So here we have a confirmed case in the US of selective sampling and reporting of radiation contamination of public water supplies. And all of this took place well before Fukushima became a concern.

“It’s a conspiracy at the TCEQ of the highest order,” said Tom Smith, of the government watchdog group Public Citizen. “The documents have indicted the management of this commission in a massive cover-up to convince people that our water is safe to drink when it’s not.”

He said it, not me. In case anyone missed it, the TCEQ is the group mentioned the BP thread linked in my sig that had air quality monitors maxed out when power was lost to the oil and chemical refineries in my area.

At the time it was reported that the instruments were providing faulty data, now I'm not so sure we weren't expose to greater contamination than we were told about back on Chernobyl day here in Texas City.

Just exactly what was it that was manipulated?

However, the TCEQ would consistently subtract off each test’s margin of error from those results, making the actual testing results appear lower than they actually were. In MUD 105’s case, the utility was able to avoid violations for nearly 20 years, thanks to the TCEQ subtractions.

It seems like someone finally found a clue. Or a conscience.

In an e-mail from Oct. 30, 2007, a TCEQ drinking water team leader began questioning a senior director about if it would be appropriate for the state agency to stop subtracting the counting error from test results to comply with all federal regulations.

This concerned person was basically told, "yeah, we know we're supposed to be counting the other way but we don't like those numbers so we will keep doing it our way instead."

And why was it reported this way? No other reason than bureaucratic ass-covering:

However, the TCEQ also told the Council: “Under existing TCEQ policy, calculation of the violation accounts for the reporting error of each radionuclide analysis. Maintaining this calculation procedure will eliminate approximately 35 violations.”

Official-level carpet sweeping of data so as to not inform the public. And who is affected by this? Many people, there are a lot of people that reside in that area one of which is highlighted in the article:

As a result, the subtracting method continued and residents of MUD 105, like Brenda Haynes, were never sent a required notice of violation. That notice would have informed them about the excessive alpha radiation in their water.

Anyone want to guess what causes this sort of radiation? Uranium and plutonium among other isotopes.

Guess where that leads...

Haynes came down with thyroid cancer while living in the MUD 105 district and continued drinking the water even after she was diagnosed. Although she will never know for certain if the water had any connection with her illness, Haynes and her husband are angry that they never were given appropriate notice about the added risks she was taking into her body while sick.

“We were put at more risk than what we thought,” said Ian Haynes, who added he and his wife would have been making different choices about what they consumed had they been warned.

This is sounding eeriy familiar to the situation in Japan.

Here are some names to add to our list of snakes. Careful, these Texas rattlers are not going to be giving you the courtesy of a warnig rattle:

The Texas Water Advisory Council, which reviewed and discussed the TCEQ testimony at a meeting on June 7, 2004, was comprised of some of the highest ranking public officials in Texas. Minutes from the TWAC’s annual report reveal that the members present that day to hear about TCEQ’s plan included then-chair of the TCEQ Commission Kathleen Hartnett White, then-Agriculture Commissioner Susan Combs, General Land Office Commissioner Jerry Patterson, Sen. Robert Duncan, and other lawmakers and state leaders.

What do these yellow-bellied, good for nothing, low-down varmints have to say about this?

A spokesperson for Commissioner Patterson wrote KHOU-TV to say, “I’ve checked with Commissioner Patterson and sent him the report and he doesn’t remember “squat” about that committee,” wrote press secretary Jim Suydam. “He won’t be calling you.”

Sounds like "shut up and quit asking questions" to me. I wonder what else there is...

The meeting summary says that “Commissioner Combs stated small towns are going broke,” and further says, “Commissioner Combs asked what would the feds do if the state didn’t enforce.” The minutes indicate that someone at the meeting said there would be federal enforcement and loss of primacy.

At the same meeting, the summary says that the EPA had already warned that if Texas didn’t implement the rules, the EPA might take over the regulation of Texas water systems. The notes say that as a result “Texas will lose $66 million if delegation of the drinking water program is lost.”

This sounds a little like a scenario I've been discussing with a friend regarding possible fuure implications of what is happening right now on a global scale. It makes me wonder if this hasn't been done on purpose so as to intentionally bring down the EPA...

This paragraph

Then Chair of the TCEQ Commission Kathleen Hartnett White, who also sat on the Texas Water Advisory Council, says the decision to continue the subtraction was a good one.

Along with this one

“We did not believe the science of health effects justified EPA setting the standard where they did,” said White. She added, “I have far more trust in the vigor of the science that TCEQ assess, than I do EPA.”

tell me that the people who sit in positions of responsibility are out of touch and hear only what they want to hear as long as it supports what they think. I'm guessing the Ms Hartnett White has never heard of the dangers of internal exposure to alpha emitters.

Yet another example of politicians not wanting to be answerable to this whom they serve:

Lt. Governor David Dewhurst did not respond to written questions related to this story. The only comment from his office came from a spokesperson who wrote: “Just FYI—I’m told by our legislative staff that Texas Water Advisory Council was created in 2001, but was repealed in 2007. Evidently, the statutes creating the council made it clear that that it was an advisory board only, so they made no decisions.”

So all we have are the words of an unnamed spokesperson but the content is quite telling. If the Water Advisory Council cannot make or enforce decisions, what good is it?

Aologies for this monster post, this just hit really close to home for me.

TIS, my heart goes out to you. I cannot fathom what you're going through and can only say that my wife and I have discussed taking in a Japanese family and I can say that from your posts, yours would be high on the list. This artlce I've linked, though, shows that we might not be that much better off than you.

I like this writer, he reminds me of us ATSers in that he links his sources and has done a lot of research for his piece. Maybe I will invite him here.

Source for above quotes

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Mama Nature chimes in again...TEPCO, have you factored these into your "Plan"...huh.

M 5.2, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:49:23 UTC
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 08:49:23 PM at epicenter

Depth: 34.00 km (21.13 mi)

Posted on 24 May 2011 | 11:49 am

M 4.6, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:18:16 UTC
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 07:18:16 PM at epicenter

Depth: 34.80 km (21.62 mi)

Posted on 24 May 2011 | 10:18 am

top topics

<< 888  889  890    892  893  894 >>