It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 888.htm
<< 885  886  887    889  890  891 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
~33 miles E of Fukushima Daiichi

Magnitude 4.9
Date-Time
* Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:39:53 UTC
* Monday, May 23, 2011 at 06:39:53 AM at epicenter

Location 37.624°N, 141.611°E
Depth 43.8 km (27.2 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances
90 km (55 miles) NE of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
95 km (59 miles) SE of Sendai, Honshu, Japan
102 km (63 miles) E of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
271 km (168 miles) NE of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.1 km (8.1 miles); depth +/- 10.6 km (6.6 miles)
Parameters NST= 86, Nph= 86, Dmin=326.2 km, Rmss=0.53 sec, Gp= 43°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0003le7

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Another report out of SKF.

Ministry of Education Quietly Released WSPEEDI Simulation, It Shows Very High Organ Dose of Iodine-131 for Infants in Wide Area

When Professor Kosako resigned from his post as PM special advisor in protest of the 20 millisievert/year radiation limit for school children, he called for the release of WSPEEDI, which can cover much wider area ("several thousand kilometers", according to Professor Kosako).

Well well. The Ministry of Education very quietly put the WSPEEDI simulation data on their webpage for SPEEDI data list on May 10, without any fanfare, without any media (I mean MSM) coverage.

The Ministry released 2 simulation maps, one for March 24 and another for March 25. They are only about iodine-131.

One of the maps, "Organ dose of I-131 for infant [less than a year old]", shows that the extremely high dose along the coast of Fukushima, with the dose in the area around Fukushima I Nuke Plant over 500 millisieverts (deep pink color). I added the prefecture names:

Another map, "Surface deposition of I-131", shows a very wide area in Kanto and Tohoku in green, which indicates iodine-131 deposition of between 100,000 to 1,000,000 becquerels per square meter. In Tokyo, one green band goes over the densely populated eastern Tokyo (23 "ku" or districts) and another one goes over the middle. That pretty much corresponds with the higher air radiation level that continues in the 23 districts, particularly the eastern most districts, and the elevated level in cities like Fuchu, which sits in the middle. Again, I added the prefecture names:

So this is what TPTB wanted to hide at all cost, and released in a sneaky fashion after 2 months, and it's only about iodine-131 whose half life is 8 days. Where there's iodine-131, there's got to be cesium, but they are still mum on cesium or any other radionuclides. No WSPEEDI data from the earlier days, nor after March 25.

The SKF site has done an excellent job bringing out news. Much appreciated.
Thanks all, for the information today. Unit 4 sounds to be in crisis.
edit on 22-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Whilst the situation is clearly not good at all in Fukushima, and children especially are at risk in that area, it might be as well to remember that the levels of radiation in Tokyo are stable and low, and there is neither caesium nor iodine 131 in the tap water right now. People here - like myself, can choose produce from non contaminated areas in supermarkets to reduce the risk further.

It is frightening enough for those of us who are left without overstating the already elevated risks.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

Do you realize? What you are saying is almost like saying "Oh, we know we created a black hole at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, and that it will suck up the entire planet, but please don't state the obvious because us living in Switzerland are worried enough as it is."

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

There are very real risks and dangers right now in Japan. Dangers from the Government allowing contaminated food being sold to the general public, by not giving people detailed and prompt information regarding the status of the plants, from the still functioning plants which are situated on fault lines, which could do a Fukushima if we get shaken badly again. All this is very very wrong, and very worrying.

However, noone tried to hide the fact that there was a period in March (cant remember the exact dates right now) where there were elevated levels of radiation in the areas. This clearly was good for noones health, least of all infants. The fact is now, right now, the levels outside of Fukushima are stable and low. The tap water is no longer showing any detectable radiation. Getting all hysterical about this does not help persuade anyone that there are other real dangers. Right now what is going to hurt people in Japan is the food, Iwate seaweed, Ibaraki green vegetables, Chiba milk. The Powers That Be need to get real about this risk and honest.

However, right now the air in Tokyo is fine, the water is fine. Show me proof to the contrary and Ill pay attention.

I want ever single one of the plants in this country shut down, I want any food which has any level of contamination to be disposed of and not sold and promoted by Government stooges, I want Fukushima emptied of women and children, the men can stay if they want to, but those children should be out of there. There was a time, a short time, when Tokyo was not ok. When sheltering was probably advised, when the tap water was not ok to drink. But now, right now, it is alright.

Those plants are not totally stable, they are not about to kill us all right away either.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
One more thing, I wish people would stop talking about `Japan` as if the whole of Japan is responsible for this. A few very rich, sociopathic, uncaring old men (and this is a country run by old men) have treated the world as if they are idiots, and the people here and abroad as if our lives and safety do not matter at all.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThousandIslandSunny

Those plants are not totally stable, they are not about to kill us all right away either.

Key words... "not immediately dangerous" "not an immediate health threat".... "won't kill us all right away."

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
There are lots of tid bits on NHK right now :

New video footage from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant gives a clearer look at the external damage from the March 11th tsunami and subsequent hydrogen explosions. It was filmed from a vehicle by a plant worker over the weekend.

I can't get it to work or find it on you tube yet

Wen to ease import restrictions Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao says China will scale back its ban on imports of Japanese food and its requirement for radiation testing.

I guess it sucks to be poor in china and have to get the low quality Japanese glow foods

IAEA nuclear experts head for Japan:
"The team will present the report at IAEA ministerial talks in Vienna that will begin on June 20th."

ahaahahahahahah, the NHK called the IAea: nuclear "watchdogs"ahahahahahaha

Work to reinforce No.4 reactor building to begin Work is beginning on Monday at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant to reinforce the structure supporting the No.4 reactor's spent fuel pool. ... 30 steel columns will be set up on the second floor of the building to support the new structure. .... The water inside the pool remains hot, at around 80 degrees Celsius.

hmmm?? I think they are actually worried about poolium on the move and are giving it a sheold to burn thru , in the fireproffing business they call it 'extending burn time'

now here is an interesting tidbit : Alex Jones ( take shim a couple of minutes to get around to it in the video ) has a video entitled:

A Brotherhood of Evil - Secret Weather Weapons That Can Kill Millions

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
No, it will not kill us right away, and if you stay clear of food from affected prefectures, drink imported bottled water, and keep an eye on the non contaminated tap water, it should not kill any of us in Tokyo EVER. FULL STOP. The radiation levels in Tokyo were high-ish for a few days. I sheltered my family in our concrete apartment for those days, which cut exposure down, and none of us drank the water, or ate food from prefectures which have issues.

Noone in Tokyo is now in any danger at all..unless you decide to feast on iwate seaweed, Chiba milk, wild Fukushima mushrooms and berries, and some Ibaraki brocolli. Those plants are smoldering, sure, but look at the radiation levels, they are fine in Tokyo, and not leaping up in Fukushima.

This is a terrible situation which does not need overstating. Why do some people seem to get off on saying `oh oh they are all dead! Japan is going into the sea! " When in fact whilst it is a disaster, its terribly sad, and for a while there scared the living daylights out of me, things got better. Right now setsuden energy saving makes my life hot and humid, and dodgy veggies means I cant go to Gusto with the kids anymore, it is not dangerous in Tokyo at ALL as long as you take precautions.

There will be thyroid cancer cases in Fukushima, and probably in Tokyo and Chiba too. But these will be from people who ate the food and drank the milk as per government advice. Who let their kids play outside when radiation was 33 times normal levels. Who drank the tap water. The caesium in breast milk and food will cause birth defects, that much I am sure of. This is a terrible tragedy. But it is not as bad as being made out by rubberneckers who seem to be getting off on the devestation and disaster, or by fellow gaijin who ran for the airport instead of sticking with the country that treated them with hospitality.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Thank you I think that is important.

I read the responses advising us to bear in mind that apparently levels of radiation have now dropped back since the initial bursts apparently logged in your data. Just a couple of thoughts on that:

1. Are the levels we are talikng about having reduced since March simply based on data for isotopes with short half lives (such as the Iodine mapped here)? Because, of course readings for that may be expected to decline as it decays, BUT of course many other isotopes were known (and suspected) to have been emitted at the time and subsequently their levels may not be dropping off for some time, depending on their half lives. I would just be careful, we have already seen in this thread how cleverly TEPCO and Jap gov. have shown they can be at selecting favourable isotope data (and conspicuously NOT posting data on other isotopes in the same PR).

2. I think that someone ought to be looking at the [proximity] between this new SPEEDI data, and the incidents at the sewage treatment works (as posted here by Finalised post on page 883.
which includes the mention that:

radioactive substance, which may or may not have been cesium, measuring 100,000-140,000 becquerels per kg, was found in two other separate sewage facilities in the Itabashi and Ota areas of Tokyo

link to source article

***Just compare the fallout map from this new SPEEDI data with the locations of the sewage works finds for the other mystery highly radioactive substance - seems pretty much to encompass them, and extend beyond to me.

Now I also attempted to take a look at drainage and sub-soil properties, to try to understand what is happening underground and in the water table to get those substances into drains under Tokyo, and the other areas, also posted on page 883

I appreciate those of you in Japan/Tokyo may not want to hear this, and I appreciate the desire to balance the sceptical view and revelations about March with your current priorities, but I am just waiting to see scientific proof that whilst it MAY be true that some isotope readings may be in decline, other substances appear to have also found their way into the water table and soils, in a highly populated area with EQ ravaged drains and all manner of subsidence and liquefaction issues.

All I am saying is, sure, focus on foods, but until you see detailed analysis on the full suite of isotopes (if they ever get round to owning up to what they are even) and how they have distributed themselves in air/land/water, I would remain somewhat cautious about envirnmental hazards. It's literally STILL a fluid situation down there IMO

[i.e. I think there is the potential for nasty substances to be moving around and locating themselves in the water table/fluvial soils that Tokyo/Yokohama and the north/eastern areas sit upon, what are they, where and for how long? - inconclusive data at this stage]
    edit on 23-5-2011 by curioustype because: Added sentance to clarify my thoughts

edit on 23-5-2011 by curioustype because: **I removed the following statement and corrected it having realised that I misread the map, apologies: Just compare the fallout map from this new SPEEDI data with the locations of the sewage works finds for the other mystery highly radioactive substance - seems pretty much to encompass them, and extend beyond to me.

edit on 23-5-2011 by curioustype because: *** I returned my original statement and retracted the correction - I didn't misread the map, I was looking at the organ dose but the land distribution DOES indeed match and encompass the sewage plant finds - must be tired, time for a break!

• posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:56 AM
    link   

www.mext.go.jp...

This is the official website giving radiation levels for Fukushima. If you do not want to scan through for yourself, it seems that the levels have gone up slightly over the past two days in the areas closest to the plants, but not gone up a lot - by about a sievert.

A sievert is quite a lot actually! I wouldn't call a sievert a "slight" increase. Dose chart Especially given that it's 20X the dose limit of what a US nuke worker can receive in 1year.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:13 AM
    link   

No, it will not kill us right away, and if you stay clear of food from affected prefectures, drink imported bottled water, and keep an eye on the non contaminated tap water, it should not kill any of us in Tokyo EVER. FULL STOP. The radiation levels in Tokyo were high-ish for a few days. I sheltered my family in our concrete apartment for those days, which cut exposure down, and none of us drank the water, or ate food from prefectures which have issues.

Noone in Tokyo is now in any danger at all..unless you decide to feast on iwate seaweed, Chiba milk, wild Fukushima mushrooms and berries, and some Ibaraki brocolli. Those plants are smoldering, sure, but look at the radiation levels, they are fine in Tokyo, and not leaping up in Fukushima.

This is a terrible situation which does not need overstating. Why do some people seem to get off on saying `oh oh they are all dead! Japan is going into the sea! " When in fact whilst it is a disaster, its terribly sad, and for a while there scared the living daylights out of me, things got better. Right now setsuden energy saving makes my life hot and humid, and dodgy veggies means I cant go to Gusto with the kids anymore, it is not dangerous in Tokyo at ALL as long as you take precautions.

There will be thyroid cancer cases in Fukushima, and probably in Tokyo and Chiba too. But these will be from people who ate the food and drank the milk as per government advice. Who let their kids play outside when radiation was 33 times normal levels. Who drank the tap water. The caesium in breast milk and food will cause birth defects, that much I am sure of. This is a terrible tragedy. But it is not as bad as being made out by rubberneckers who seem to be getting off on the devestation and disaster, or by fellow gaijin who ran for the airport instead of sticking with the country that treated them with hospitality.

What are you basing these statements on please? Or are you just guessing? What makes you say "it's not dangerous in Toyko at ALL as long as you take precautions." Seems like a big statement to make. What makes you say things have "got better"? Are you aware that cesium has a half life of 30 years, meaning in 30 years half of it will be 100% radioactive. In another 30 half of that will be radioactive and so on until the radioactivity disappears in 300years. This is just cesium. Are you also monitoring Alpha particles some of which have half-lives of 24,000 years and more? Are you sure the radioactive materials deposited on outdoor surfaces have not been tracked through your house since? What is your plan to deal with the radioactive elements that are being continuously emitted?

I don't mean to give you a hard time but you are making some rather broad sweeping statements and it would be great if you could share your factual data with us to support your assertions that "it's not as bad as being made out by rubberneckers"... etc. It would be great to see some great news for a change showing it's not as bad as us gaigin think

ps: I think the Gaigin ran for the airports because they didn't want to get thyroid cancer - do you honestly think cancer is fair repayment for hospitality? The fact that the US military pulled out should have given people a clue that polite farewells were in order. IMO everyone should have left who could leave and still should -- especially if you have small children.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:51 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
    There are lots of tid bits on NHK right now :

New video footage from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant gives a clearer look at the external damage from the March 11th tsunami and subsequent hydrogen explosions. It was filmed from a vehicle by a plant worker over the weekend.

I can't get it to work or find it on you tube yet

I think this one was a private video taken by a worker and 'sold' to NHK.

No sign of this video on any TEPCO webpage even when searching within pages.

I will await further webpage updates but suspect that the information will become even more fragmented and difficult to find.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:20 AM
    link   

I'm very pleased to hear that you have taken all possible precautions to protect yourself and your family (you should pat yourself on the back for such swift action and expediency ... but your attitude towards those who have not been as 'lucky' or well-prepared as you like to consider you were/are is incredibly dismissive and quite shocking.

So please try to remember that whilst you may be well prepared ... and you may be following all the correct procedures ... and you 'may' be safe (only time will tell for the latter) ... there are many other's who are not ... and through no fault of their own might I add.

Also remember that the enormous amount of time and effort that people on this thread have contributed since day 1 has been the sole source of collaborated and analized information for many people.

And finally, try to remember that whilst this disaster initially began with Japan ... it has and will continue to have reprecussions globally for many, many years to come ... no matter how well prepared you were ... and continue to be.

So please think of those who are not as well-prepared or fast-thinking as you ... or as lucky as your family must feel to have someone like you on their side.

Woody

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:03 AM
    link   

Mayors of Hiroshima, Nagasaki angered with Washington over recent nuclear tests

The mayors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki have displayed a sense of distrust in Washington for its recent nuclear tests, it has been learned.

Hiroshima Mayor Kazumi Matsui and Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue jointly met reporters at the Hiroshima Municipal Government on May 22, expressing their concerns over the nuclear weapons performance experiments conducted in the United States in November 2010 and March this year.

Citing U.S. President Barack Obama's epoch-making speech calling for a nuclear-free world in Prague in April 2009, Hiroshima Mayor Matsui said, "We call upon the U.S. to withhold from any actions that could generate misunderstandings among those who are sincerely hoping for the elimination of nuclear weapons."

"We have yet to learn what significance the experiments have, but we cannot tolerate them if they are to lead to the development of new atomic weapons," said Nagasaki Mayor Taue.

Source

Here. Here. I'm not happy about it either. This test occurred the same day - THE SAME DAY - the EPA announced they would stop extra testing for nuclear contamination from Fukushima. How convenient for all of them.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:43 AM
    link   

Fukushima reactor had meltdown 3.5 hours after cooling system collapsed: U.S. researcher

A meltdown occurred at one of the reactors at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant three and a half hours after its cooling system started malfunctioning, according to the result of a simulation using "severe accident" analyzing software developed by the Idaho National Laboratory.

Chris Allison, who had actually developed the analysis and simulation software, reported the result to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in late March. It was only May 15 when Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) admitted for the first time that a meltdown had occurred at the No. 1 reactor at the Fukushima nuclear plant.

According to the simulation, the reactor core started melting about 50 minutes after the emergency core cooling system of the No. 1 reactor stopped functioning and the injection of water into the reactor pressure vessel came to a halt. About an hour and 20 minutes later, the control rod and pipes used to gauge neutrons started melting and falling onto the bottom of the pressure vessel. After about three hours and 20 minutes, most of the melted fuel had piled up on the bottom of the pressure vessel. At the four hour and 20 minute mark, the temperature of the bottom of the pressure vessel had risen to 1,642 degrees Celsius, close to the melting point for the stainless steel lining, probably damaging the pressure vessel.

Masanori Naito, director in charge of safety analysis at the Institute of Applied Energy, said, "TEPCO could have conducted similar analysis at an early stage and assumed the meltdown had occurred. TEPCO should have prepared other cooling methods besides the method of filling the reactor with water."

Source

A road map to bring reactors into cold shutdown that have already leaked their fuel is blatant lying. They are all working hand in hand to dismiss an out of control and on-going meltdown crisis, hide longer-term radiation data from the public, and pass-off radioactive products around the world in their quest for the almighty yen. There are no watchdogs in the international nuclear feral pack of wild dogs.

They have lied in the past. They continue to omit critical data from reports. And some people would have you believe there is no danger what so ever with no improvement in the Fukushima situation at all. Where is the improvement in the situation?

Thanks TEPCO.gov for sharing the radiation with the rest of the world and covering up the radiation you are spreading around your own country. How's that plutonium treating you? Oh, that's right, they didn't have instruments to measure those values at the time they said none were found. If evidence of their deception to date does not give you pause in buying their latest "nuclear meltdown is safe" fairy tale, I don't know how to help you. I will pray for the children. These fairy tales will be a nightmare for them in their futures. This plant is still spewing poison over land, sea and air with no end in site - no plan to fix the problems as they are now understood, and no concern above profits.

By all means, that end of June conference should be at the Fukushima plant - since the danger has (not) passed. Let them all have a taste of what they are dishing out...a real good taste.

They need to quit the news dog and pony show they are running and start preparations to remove any rods possible from this site that are still in one piece and entomb this coastline.

edit on 23-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:48 AM
    link   

www.mext.go.jp...

This is the official website giving radiation levels for Fukushima. If you do not want to scan through for yourself, it seems that the levels have gone up slightly over the past two days in the areas closest to the plants, but not gone up a lot - by about a sievert.

A single Sievert increase may be considered "not a lot" by the Official (Fukushima) website in Japan but you might like to know this:

The U.K Ionizing Radiation Regulations 1999 states that the safety barriers for any outside Ionizing Radiography/Radiation work shall be set at measured dose rate not exceeding 7.5 micro Sieverts/hr.

That is to say that The UK Government Health & Safety Executive consider 7.5 MILLIONTHS of a Sievert per Hour to be an acceptable dose rate for NON Ionizing Radiation workers, i.e. members of the public.

Seems like they are playing it down a bit.

PEACE,
    RK

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:57 AM
    link   

However, noone tried to hide the fact that there was a period in March (cant remember the exact dates right now) where there were elevated levels of radiation in the areas. This clearly was good for noones health, least of all infants.

Wrong. They did, they are and they will "hide the fact."

Hiroaki Koide: "Pressure Not To Release Radiation Data"

In the testimony in the Japan's Upper House Government Oversight Committee, Hiroaki Koide of Kyoto University said there was an outside pressure on him and his colleagues not to release the survey data including the radiation data on March 15.

Alongside Koide, Masashi Goto, whistleblower ex-Toshiba engineer who designed the containment vessel at Fukushima I Nuke Plant, Masayoshi Son of Softbank, geologist Katsuhiko Ishibashi are also there.

(Ishibashi insists on doing it (dealing with Fukushima I Nuke Plant) by the Japanese experts only.)

In the meantime, angry and concerned parents and citizens are swarming the Ministry of Education and demand that the government withdraw the 20 millisievert/year radiation (external only) limit for children. The Minister is hiding.

SKF

edit on 23-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:35 AM
    link   
    I have been keeping an eye on the TBS/JNN live web cam...something I notice today, not only is R-4 still puffing away...but, it appears the right hand corner of R-4 looks very strange. Strange as in a new lean angle...can anyone else take a quick look (full screen mode) and let me know your assessment, I would greatly appreciate it. Plus, late last night, did anyone else see the big black helicopter zoom in and over R-4, one pass only. Looked like a big black military helicopter. Tworide was here watching it with me. It's always good to have another ATSer here to confirm these events.

news.tbs.co.jp...

Des

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:44 AM
    link   
    201 Sv/h at Hukushima?

Reactor 1 201 Sv/h

5-10 Sv/h will kill you...

new topics

top topics

<< 885  886  887    889  890  891 >>

join