It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 882.htm
<< 879  880  881    883  884  885 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
More ripples:

Factory output fell by a record and retail sales and exports declined in March because of power shortages spurred by a nuclear accident in Fukushima, northeast of Tokyo, and damage to transportation facilities after the temblor.

It's barely a blurb, but all of us here know the real reason for the current economic funk...

And here we can see the basis for the decisions to get the problem fixed (or at least looking fixed) in as short a time as possible:

“We look for a classic V-shaped recovery in the July-to- September period and after,” said Kyohei Morita, chief economist at Barclays Capital in Tokyo. “A self-sustaining recovery in production, an increase in government consumption and reconstruction demand centered around public works will likely support the economy.”

Gotta get the spending going again as quick as possible no matter the cost.
Quote source

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

I agree and I am very disapointed in our leadership and have been in my own fight with them going on 6 years.
All I know is "the pen is mightier than the sword" and freedom is not free.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
www.tepco.co.jp...

No readings published yet

Nevermind they just posted them.

Love the timing..
edit on 18-5-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
youtu.be... Does anyone notice, the position of the cam now ?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
....very angry ripples...I'm surprised that I found this Video on a Christian Community Bible Website...

Text with video.

May 18, 2011 Professor Christopher Busby, who sits on the European Committee on Radiation Risks, told RT yesterday that the reactors at Fukushima are a raging nuclear inferno and he believes at least one of the reactors is now outside its containment structure and emitting vast amounts of radiation into the atmosphere. The Japanese newspaper Asahi reports today that data reveals meltdowns occurred at the No. 2 and No. 3 reactors. Goshi Hosono, special adviser to Prime Minister Na

Video brokenflask.com...

I found this website unconventional to say the least....
If ATS were to have a religious site, it might be kinda like this one.

Des

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
youtu.be... Does anyone notice, the position of the cam now ?

Well...it is pretty foggy. I've noticed, the last couple of days, there is someone who does a lot of panning in and out. Also focuses up close for periods of time, on each reactor. I like that person :
Hello person manning the camera, good job

Des

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Why people aren't raging over this, leaves me speechless....Folks have known for years before the disaster at Fukushima, that this WOULD happen...it was just a matter of when...

U.S. was warned on vents before failure at Japan's plant

By Matthew L. Wald

New York Times
Posted: 05/18/2011 06:52:57 PM PDT

WASHINGTON -- Five years before the crucial emergency vents at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant failed to work, an engineer at a reactor in Minnesota warned U.S. regulators that the design of the vents, also used in the United States, was seriously flawed. The engineer, Anthony Sarrack, notified staff members at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that the venting systems were vulnerable to the very accidents -- including those caused by earthquakes -- that they were built to address. He later left the industry when his warnings went unheeded.

Sarrack said that the vents, which are supposed to relieve pressure at crippled plants and keep containment structures intact, should not be dependent on electric power and workers' ability to operate critical valves because power might be cut in an emergency and workers might be incapacitated. Part of the reason the venting system in Japan failed is that power to the plant was knocked out by a tsunami that followed a major earthquake.

Sarrack's memo was found in the archives of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission by David Lochbaum, a boiling-water-reactor expert who works for the Union of Concerned Scientists, a nonprofit group based in Cambridge, Mass., that is generally cautious of nuclear power.

"The Nuclear Regulatory Commission cannot claim ignorance about this one," he said.

Plant managers and nuclear regulators are warned about far more problems each year than actually occur, but in
Advertisement
this case, the cautionary note was eerily prescient and could rekindle debate over whether automatic venting systems are safer alternatives.

And here's that ever present Scott Burnell...snaking his way into every crevice in the world wide nuclear industry...he is who I'm digging into at the moment...his name pops up with every single hard hitter in the playing field. No matter what team they play for. Good old Scotty has a lot of power....gonna rattle his cage, and see what shakes out....

While staff members at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission considered Sarrack's suggestion, they decided against it. Wednesday, a commission spokesman, Scott Burnell, said the commission still believed that the so-called hardened vents were a "reasonable and appropriate means" of dealing with a rise in pressure after an accident. But he has also said that the commission's staff members are studying the events at Fukushima for "lessons learned," and that they had identified means of "reducing risk even further" by making the vents "more passive." He said the staff had not yet chosen a way to do that.

One way would be using rupture disks, relatively thin sheets of steel that break and allow venting when the pressure reaches a specified level without any operator command or moving parts. But many in the industry argue that using such a disk requires that there be a way to close the vent once pressure is relieved to hold in radioactive materials.

At the Fukushima Daiichi plant, pressure began to build in three reactors soon after the tsunami hit because the plant's cooling system stopped operating when the electricity went off. Without an adequate flow of cool water in the reactors, the fuel rods began to overheat and produce explosive hydrogen gas.

The Fukushima plant was designed by General Electric, and the venting system that failed in Japan exists at similar plants designed by GE in the United States.

source www.mercurynews.com...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: add link

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

edit on 18-5-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
A harsh reality check for Japanese Gov't.....

Japanese Economy Collapses: Q1 GDP Drops At Double Consensus Rate, Epic Nominal Plunge Of -5.2%

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 05/18/2011 21:14 -0400

Confirming once again that Wall Street economist (and sell side in general) is the most useless profession in the world (though gladly accepting a 7 figures compensation), is the latest data out of Japan which is yet another stunner to most, as nobody, nobody, could have possible predicted that the Japanese economy would literally fall off a cliff in Q1, plunging at a 3.7% rate (down from -3% previously), which is double the consensus print of -1.9%. DOUBLE.

And in nominal terms the collapse was simply epic: -5.2%! And yes, this is officially a recession. Of course, anyone reading Zero Hedge would have been perfectly aware of this outcome. 4 short days ago we said: "Increasingly we have come to believe that the real marginal economy over the next several quarters will be neither that of the contracting US, nor that of the rapidly tightening, yet still very much inflationary China, but the (arguably) third largest one: that of Japan." Today our prediction is more than confirmed.

And instead of hiding deep in the whatever holes these morlocks cralwed out of, Bloomberg for some inexplicable reason continues to look to their blatantly horrendous opinion. “The negative economic impact from the disaster will be on full display during the second quarter,” Hiroshi Watanabe, a senior economist at the Daiwa Institute of Research in Tokyo, said before the report. “This recession may be deep, but short.” Yeah, sure. Short. We'll just hold our breath. And for it to be short, it means that the BOJ will be forced to print a few hundred trillion in Yen asap (just as we predicted here and here) right? Which in turn means that the USDJPY will surge and shift the Japanese recession even faster over to the US. And yes it means that the turbo print button among the central banks will get the F5 treatment as the second round of currency devaluation completes a lap.

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Just posting a small excerpt from an article published today...the complete article gives us a fly on the wall view of how workers for Fukushima are being hired TODAY. Thursday 19th May, 10:49 AM JST

On May 14, the media reported the death of a man in his 60s who’d been working at the No. 4 reactor at the Fukushima nuclear power complex. The cause of death was determined to be heart failure, probably brought on by his working successive 12-hour shifts.

In Shukan Asahi (May 27), a source who knew the deceased tells the magazine that it’s fairly common to see men in their 60s laboring at such jobs. “Previously, 55 had been the cutoff age, but with the accident they’ll take older workers.”

Perhaps reflecting the sense of desperation over the nuclear crisis, working conditions for the men inside the plant appear to be brutal.

“They don’t announce it, but on site, workers are collapsing almost daily due to bone fractures or heatstroke,” the source tells Shukan Asahi. “It’s being hushed up. Spreading the word will just make the subcontractor look bad to Tokyo Electric Power, so nobody says anything. Workers are saying to themselves, ‘On-the-job injuries are a matter of self-responsibilit

Nuclear cleanup workers being recruited from society's lowest rungs

Thursday 19th May, 10:49 AM JST

TOKYO —

On March 17, a week after the disastrous earthquake and tsunami that struck the Tohoku region, a notice was posted at a worker recruitment center in Airin, the rundown neighborhood of Osaka’s Nishinari Ward where thousands of impoverished day laborers congregate in search of construction and other blue-collar jobs.

www.japantoday.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
For those of you whom haven't made it to Ex-SFK's blog today:

#Radioactive Dandelion and Horsetail From the blog of Professor Bin Mori of Tokyo University Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences: Autoradiograph of Equisetum arvense (Horsetail; young shoots are edible), picked on May 3, left; autoradiograph of dandelion leaves, right: Professor Mori says the pictures show that radioactive materials have been absorbed from the roots and distributed throughout the plants. He thinks the dark dots on the dandelion leaves are the radioactive materials landed on the leaves.

link to picture (sorry I tried to upload the pic but I keep getting locked out of ATS today-and currently cannot access my photo section )

The really bad news is that the reactor information ( temps pressures whatnnot) have not been updated since 5-16 and may be down for the count ( looks like Tepco finally found and fixed that leak ...ha*cough*ha)

I have been thinking about the timing and why now , it may be they didn't like the association between noting where and when they were spraying the ground glue and then taking radiation measurements, although they may be just tryin gto hide whatever is happening at #3 right now ...

On that note it occurred to me that some of the uranium and plutonium could be going into solution (especially as they are adding hydrazine to the water , even in the #4 pool ) and escaping with the leaking water and that is causing criticalities to happen in some of the water "puddles" I believe it is the reason for the odd ness of the numbers at #3 right near the 16th ( as it looks like whatever was working down through the ruined number three core has found it's way to the bottom of the cv, which means it won't be long before it is under the cv ...the most likely scenario is that uranium /plutonium in solution is being deposited a the top of number three as the injected water boils off (it is too hot anywher insid eof #3's core or cv for water to remain liquid) and this mass over the period of 9 weeks has oozed tot the bottom of the cv)

I would assume the same thing is happening at all the reactors which means that any hot spots in the floor /basements/sc's will be "collectors" and begin / have forming larger and larger masses of fissionable materials .

If the hydrazine is making the uranium more mobile ( which it almost certainly is ) then it's use should be stopped immediately as corrosion is far less of a problem than extremely radio active water and piles of growing poolium everywhere

I am also curious as to what under those tarps on the barge needs air filtration /cleansing tubes?

Nhk , they are so hilarious with their jokey joke jokiness , it's like the Japanese version of HeeHaw.they are reporting radiation still being dumped in the ocean:

Radiation level at No.3 reactor water intake rises ... samples of seawater near the Number 3 reactor. Tokyo Electric Power Company says it detected 110 becquerels of radioactive cesium-134 per cubic centimeters in seawater samples taken on Wednesday morning.

The level is 1,800 times the national legal limit, compared to 550 times, which was reported the previous day. The utility also found 120 becquerels of cesium-137, 1,300 times higher than the limit.

Last Wednesday at the same location near the water intake of the Number 3 reactor, water contaminated with highly radioactive substances was found flowing into the sea from a pit. TEPCO says it detected cesium-134 at 32,000 times the legal limit. In its latest announcement, TEPCO said the concentration of radioactive iodine in seawater samples from the same location fell from 1,900 times the limit on Monday to 630 times on Tuesday.

The utility also said it detected radioactive materials at levels higher than the national limit at 2 of the 4 survey points along the shoreline near the plant. It says cesium-134 with a concentration level 1.8 times the limit was found at a point 330 meters south of the water drainage gates of the Number 1 to 4 reactors.

but finds that fishermen are :

'...continue(ing) to suffer from unfounded rumors due to the nuclear accident."

I guess they think that perhaps they can wish those lovely radioactive fish away and thus reduce the amount they are going to have to pay:

They demanded 5.2 million dollars, which they say equals losses incurred in March from the nuclear accident. Vice president of the fisheries cooperative, Isao Ono told reporters that he hopes the power company compensates them quickly. He added his group plans to ask for further compensation, as fishing has resumed only partly

The other Japanese utilities are wondering why they should have to chip in :

Japanese power companies want to know why they are being asked to help the operator of the damaged Fukushima nuclear plant to pay damages to those affected by the disaster.

It does seem a little mafioso, but crooks stealing from crooks gets into that fuzzy Jean-Val-Jean territory....

Although having to cover for radioactive fish is only half the battle :

Representatives of groups of small and midsized businesses have demanded that tentative compensation payments from the operator of the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant be paid speedily.

this line from Tepco is revealing:

Tokyo Electric plans to decide which companies it needs to compensate and how to calculate the amount by the end of this month.

Tepco , gets to decide? er, I don't think that is going to fly , what;s that scent ? ah yes : high priced Japanese lawyers

It can't end well and as the JApanese economy crumbles ( it was already doing that before the disasters), the US hit it's debt limit on Monday , and we only have until august 2 until the US defaults...I wonder if the fukushima " everything is all fixed plan " is still going to be pretended for happening after that ?

ANd what reason was given for the US government urging Tepco to dump radioactive waster into the ocean ? The plant was already leaking like a seive...did they just want to gauge the public response or were they trying to put pressure on South Korea ?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

hi des, just quickly logging in to post these, before i go to bed...

the prof busby interview that you brought to my attention in your above post, thank you

& something very strange here... i hope someone else caught it... i just tuned in to the webcam not long ago, only to find this very bright white light thingy at # 4

here's my clean, unedited screenshot of it

& here it is, darkened with a little saturation to try & bring out more definition

i caught it at 04-46am (19may, uk time) ...i have no idea what it is, or how long it may have been there before i tuned in, but it was gone by the time i finished playing with the definition pic

whilst i was messing about with the pic, i darkened it to the point where nothing of the plant was visible, just black... this anomaly still shone very brightly, however... damn, i should have saved that too, i'll do it again later today

really didn't get the impression that it was just something on the camera lens, twas amazingly bright though, as can be seen how foggy it was at the time

just very discombobulating, gonna be pondering what it could be, no doubt, when i should be trying to sleep

catch up with you all later, i'm pages behind again

thanks & nighty night all

i really do love his snazzy style

edit on 19-5-2011 by pattonisit because: prof busby rocks

edit on 19-5-2011 by pattonisit because: foffy? XD

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Question:

ANd what reason was given for the US government urging Tepco to dump radioactive waster into the ocean ? The plant was already leaking like a seive..

I know we all know the answer - but for the record:

Answer:

A.

If worse comes to worst, Tepco share certificates would become worthless sheets of paper for 600,000 shareholders as well as for many corporate pension funds that have included Tepco stock in their portfolios. The steep drop in Tepco's stock price has already dealt a blow to investment funds in the United States. Nearly 20 percent of its stock is held by non-Japanese investors. This has reportedly led the Obama administration to urge the Kan government to take steps to prevent a further decline in Tepco stock.

B.

Japan has made a fantastic investment in nuclear power, an investment which also must include the industry's capture of the Japanese government. Events have stranded the entire industry and the government is in danger of being stranded as well.

Japan is having difficulty generating enough electricity to support its industries. The government demanded 25% reductions for the summer but protests from industry caused the reduction to be rolled back to 15%.

C. Pressure from the ALL POWERFUL GE.

D. All of the above.

source

edit on 19-5-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
I would have designed the valves leading to the cooling system to be open by default, so that if something happens, the valves would default to their normal state, which should be open, so that cooling still takes place (the valves to the steam driven emergency cooling systems would be open). It seems either as though somebody is lying about the operation of the systems, or a total d*ckhead designed the system. It would take an operator to deliberately override the system, and that could be construed as sabotage.

Stuxnet could easily do this and more, I wonder what the truth is with these offline systems. It is unlikely we will ever know.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

Originally posted by Hellhound604
I would have designed the valves leading to the cooling system to be open by default, so that if something happens, the valves would default to their normal state, which should be open, so that cooling still takes place (the valves to the steam driven emergency cooling systems would be open). It seems either as though somebody is lying about the operation of the systems, or a total d*ckhead designed the system. It would take an operator to deliberately override the system, and that could be construed as sabotage.

Stuxnet could easily do this and more, I wonder what the truth is with these offline systems. It is unlikely we will ever know.

I fully agree with you. It doesn't make any sense at all that all the protection systems failed, and I find it very hard to believe that the plant was so shoddily designed that everything failed. For a plant to fail like that, would mean that the designers never designed any critical systems, and I cannot believe that. Stuxnet or a variant of it is making more and more sense, the more info comes out, but I guess we will never know the truth.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The desire to help others...

Pensioners come forth for Fukushima

As the Japanese government and TEPCO struggle to bring the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant under control, a group of pensioners has decided to put their lives at risk to save younger people from radiation.

www.dw-world.de...

These senors are great!
I must admit I find it hard to find words to describe all the feelings I have after reading this article,
may their work be not in vain.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This one is ~10 miles ESE of Onagawa Nuclear Power Station. If I remember correctly it's still off line from previous quakes.

Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time
* Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 08:32:50 UTC
* Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 05:32:50 PM at epicenter
Location 38.365°N, 141.690°E
Depth 62.4 km (38.8 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances
71 km (44 miles) E of Sendai, Honshu, Japan
118 km (73 miles) E of Yamagata, Honshu, Japan
126 km (78 miles) ENE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
343 km (213 miles) NNE of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 19 km (11.8 miles); depth +/- 9.5 km (5.9 miles)
Parameters NST=136, Nph=138, Dmin=369.6 km, Rmss=0.78 sec, Gp=115°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=8
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0003ise
earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 19-5-2011 by Tworide because: added link

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Profit verses safety?

U.S. Was Warned on Vents Before Failure at Japan’s Plant

Five years before the crucial emergency vents at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant were disabled by an accident they were supposed to help handle, engineers at a reactor in Minnesota warned American regulators about that very problem.

Anthony Sarrack, one of the two engineers, notified staff members at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that the design of venting systems was seriously flawed at his reactor and others in the United States similar to the ones in Japan

NRC spokesman, Scott Burnell, said the commission still believed that existing venting systems were a “reasonable and appropriate means” of dealing with a rise in pressure after an accident.

www.nytimes.com...

Once again Scott Burnell defends the status quo of the NRC and current nuclear safety, I am glad he is there to say everything is fine, everything is fine.
edit on 19-5-2011 by AlaskanDad because: add my missing link

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Couple of new YouTube vids

Exploring Reactor Unit 2

Tsunami hitting plant

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

The really bad news is that the reactor information ( temps pressures whatnnot) have not been updated since 5-16 and may be down for the count ( looks like Tepco finally found and fixed that leak ...ha*cough*ha)

The data is still being posted by NISA/METI on Google Spreadsheets.
spreadsheets0.google.com...=1

Of course it's in Japanese, but you can decipher the pertinent data from them. It also has the radiation levels from inside the S/C and D/W, helpful in following that corium...

new topics

top topics

<< 879  880  881    883  884  885 >>

join