It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 879.htm
<< 876  877  878    880  881  882 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by Silverlok

Am i wrong?
DUH YOU MEAN ABOUT EVERYTHING OR4 THE NOTHING YOU HAVE CONTRIBUTED?

edit on 18-5-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

You are most welcome. I will admit to being concerned at the NRC members' comments during the task force briefing - or rather half sentences - where the second half would have been about costing their industry stakeholders lots of money to comply with new requirements. There was also downplaying, serious downplaying, by the NRC. If I would have been in the room, my question would have been, "What makes any of you think there will be a nuclear industry to regulate in the future?"

The industry has failed and shown its complete vulnerability and the catastrophic consequences of that failure. A stuck valve can result in this? There will always be another valve, another earthquake, another flood. The risk is just far to high and the consequences eternal and infinite on a human/animal/habitable planet scale. In my mind, it's game over. They all need shut down. All of them. We are not equipped technologically, ethically or morally to harness nuclear power on this scale nor at this time in our "human" development. The choice of industry over lives and rampant dishonesty as thick as waves of radiation is the evidence.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Does anyone know how to, or if it is possible to download an entire thread without doing it manually? Maybe the staff could archive this thing once a week or so and put a link to the zip file at the top of the first page?

Just a thought, but it would probably save a bunch of bandwidth . Especially if it was stripped of stuff not related to this very important topic.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sizzlean

Hi...I think I'm one of the last wolves standing on the night crew and don't know the answer to your question. My suggestion would be to ask it in a board business thread. Interesting thought. Although the stripping part is subjective. After 879 pages you get to know the posters and how they post and often times what can appear an off-handed or comical or even snarky remark...is a. cumulative, b. very telling c. highly contemplative and d. says as much, if not more, than what looks to be pure informational. There are a few posts back a ways I would lose too though. Although they are great as a virtual psy-ops/sleeper cell failed campaign primer. Hope others can help. I like the zip file idea, but it would have its pros and cons too. Thanks for the input. Good stuff.

Again, nite all. Seriously this time.

edit on 18-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sizzlean
Does anyone know how to, or if it is possible to download an entire thread without doing it manually? Maybe the staff could archive this thing once a week or so and put a link to the zip file at the top of the first page?

Just a thought, but it would probably save a bunch of bandwidth . Especially if it was stripped of stuff not related to this very important topic.

Same band-width stuff-but
There's always this?

and this!
edit on (5/18/1111 by loveguy because:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Good info CranialSponge. I'm concerned with the actions that he has most certainly taken since he made himself king. You can bet that they would not be in the best interest of the public. No surprise to me though, as the Federal Government (especially the excecutive branch) have been operating above the law for years, and only getting worse. It's to the point that it's "In Your Face" and what are you going to do about it! A good example of this is Bush's " NATIONAL SECURITY PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE/NSPD 51. HOMELAND SECURITY PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE/HSPD-20." Here's a link to a 10 minute video by Dr. Jerome Corsi. Everyone needs to be aware of this."NSPD 51 & HSPD 20 BUSH'S AUTHORITY TO IMPOSE MARTIAL LAW "
www.youtube.com...

That falls under the direction of FEMA and called "Continuity of Operations".

I disagree with your thinking that Jaczko will be the fallguy, well kinda. He may get some bad publicity in the news for a short while, but no doubt he will be rewarded as far as his career goes. At least since 9-11, all high level government personel that fail miserably in their duty , with regards to national emergencies and such, are promoted to better paying positions. "Only in America", being rewarded for failing when it is on the line. But, in truth, did they really fail or did they perform as planned.

Just like in Japan, now they are using all kinds of excuses, when in reality, they started lying from the get go and continue to lie like there is no tomorrow. 6 reactors are in total meltdown, they have been in meltdown since day one, they conceal this fact and do absolutly nothing to end it. The US government is complicit and so are all of the regulatory agencies as they just stand back and let it go on and on and on. Does the US government warn the public? NO! Instead they lie about it and say no worry here.

I still can't get over how many believe anything/everything that comes from the Japaneese and or the US governments/regulating agencies. It has been nothing but lies from the very beginning, and now they are playing the inept trump card. Like this one is real believable," the Japaneese government had to get there info from the news because TEPCO wouldn't provide them with any info." What they are really saying is that they have been lying since day one, and still are, but don't want to be held to account for not evacuating their citizens and for doing nothing about and their complicity in the by design disaster. This weapon used for population control is going off without a hitch. Hidden in plain site. How could one not see it?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

I'm looking to see what I can dig up.

So far is this:

“We have over 100 monitors up and running, more than enough to detect even the slightest fluctuations in background radiation levels,” said Brendan Gilfillan, an EPA spokesman. “The network was built specifically to ensure that if one monitor is down for maintenance, we still have overlapping regional coverage.”

source

Which leads me here:

Office of the Press Secretary Brendan Gilfillan, Press Secretary
Phone: 202-564-8368
Email: gilfillan.brendan@epa.gov

source

Just a mouthpiece, I know but somewhere to start. Find out who his boss is and work your way up the ladder.

On another front we have the following:

The bad news from Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant continues to reverberate around the world, dimming nuclear energy's future and boosting the fortunes of low-carbon power sources. Last week's decision by Japan's prime minister to scrap plans for 14 new reactors is just the latest sign of a global nuclear slowdown, and the technology faces renewed scrutiny even in countries with pronuclear governments, including the U.S., China, and France.

source

Which is somewhat encouraging for a couple of reasons. First is that it is further evidence that even before Fukshima, there really was a slowdown beginning in the area of nuclear energy. And second, is the source. MIT carries quite a bit of weight in many circles and if this is being said in this particular ivory tower, then we may have some small hope.

A bit discouraging is this part:

What has not changed, says Keppler, are the drivers that were fueling new reactor construction: concerns over energy security and climate change. In the past, nuclear technology has been perceived as the cheapest option. But with nuclear on hold, governments are looking to accelerate renewable-energy development, and the latest cost estimates from the U.S. Energy Information Agency provide support for that position

Since the type of climate change that the media has driven is false (discussion for a different thread) the only real reason is the so-called energy security. What is really meant is control.

And in the case of Fukushima, we are seeing what pursuit of the control of energy has lead to; an open, festering wound that is going to be worse than anything we've encountered to date as a species and it's being ignored and willfully shunted aside as an article of concern or even discourse.

Keep on shining that light ATS, into the darkest and most distant hidy holes you can find, so we can dig up whatever can be gleaned from the pitiable pickings we're left with!

Silverlok, I'm not sure what your intent is with this thread, but the first quote about the EPA and the 100 monitors interested me so I went to that link. Having read through it just once, I know that just about everything that EPA claimed was a lie. Their monitors are far from adequate for the coverage that is necessary and far to many have been broken, and EPA could care less.

Here is a quote from Alexander Higgins Blog
"After Japan nuclear radiation was detected in Richland Washington drinking water local NBC news station KEPR in inquired as to why the federal radiation monitor went offline. The EPA responded stated they are aware that radiation monitors are broken and have no plans to fix it because monitoring radiation is the area is not a priority.

The Feds actually have broken non-working Japan nuclear radiation monitors in 37 US Cities, all not a priority to fix. A complete list below.

So what exactly are the priorities of the Feds?"
http://(nolink)/2011/04/14/feds-local-cbs-news-station-fixing-broken-japan-nuclear-radiation-monitors-priority-17358/

That would be 37 out of 100 monitors. I wittnessed it myself, as those monitors were down for quite awhile.

Some more info:"Gaps in US radiation monitoring system revealed"

"In California, home to two seaside nuclear plants located close to earthquake fault lines, federal officials said four of the 11 stationary monitors were offline for repairs or maintenance last week. The Environmental Protection Agency said the machines operate outdoors year-round and periodically need maintenance, but did not fix them until a few days after low levels of radiation began drifting toward the mainland U.S.

About 20 monitors out of 124 nationwide were out of service earlier this week, including units in Harlingen, Tex. and Buffalo, N.Y. on Friday, according to the EPA.

Gaps in the system—as well as the delays in fixing monitors in some of Southern California's most populated areas—have helped to prompt hearings and inquiries in Washington and Sacramento."
www.mercurynews.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I wrote a recap for members that want to read up on the disaster. link is in my sig.

Sorry for this shameless plug

OnlyLove.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by OnlyLove

Thanks for the re-cap! I have not read it yet but there have been many people coming to this thread in the middle of it and have been asking for other posters to help get them caught up. Of course that cannot be done every time so your new thread is helpful. It's a lot of information to put together; thanks & star.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
for everybody new that is slightly in the dark, here they explain what happened to #1 in layman terms :
www.asahi.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Found an article from March, which I don't recollect seeing here, in which a person claim that damage to #4 reactor was covered up during manufacture, that it should have been scrapped www.bloomberg.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Found this while watching the WC:
"Water arrives in unit No. 3 fuel and becomes the situation that is more serious than the unit No. I 1. The temperature of the core often rose, and an unstable state lasted the unit No. 3 of the first Fukushima nuclear power generation, but fuel dissolved it like unit No. 1, and fell; planted it, and understood what was watched that the water which flowed into the nuclear reactor didn't reach the fuel enough by the coverage to the government person concerned. About the unit No. 3 of the first Fukushima nuclear power generation, the temperature of the core often rises from last month, but the person concerned with plural government has] which is watched that meltdown is up with the unit No. [3 for coverage of JNN. Tokyo Electric uses the plumbing increasing quantity of flooding and continues sending water to a core, but a still unstable state continues." Translated by Google. Now they/we really need to prepare. news.tbs.co.jp...
edit on 5/18/2011 by gr82m8okdok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Have we any idea what happened to the Fukushima 50 at this point or shall I just assume their contracts have all expired?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Next translation, from same WC site:
" Currently, nuclear reactors, "shroud" The water is poured through the gap between the wall and the pressure vessel, called the jam this is a gap, may not have received enough water to dissolve the fuel fell to the bottom found a new high. Experts, if this condition persists, could escape the pressure vessel at the bottom of the fuels that emit high heat, "but serious," I said. TEPCO In the meantime, continue to monitor policy is to increase the amount of water injection into the No. 3.

Meanwhile, the morning of June 18 Unit 2 reactor building, since the explosion last March, workers entered the first time. Research in robotics as well as high temperature and humidity inside of the work was 14 minutes. (18 16:51)"
news.tbs.co.jp...
edit on 5/18/2011 by gr82m8okdok because: supply link for quote

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The British Government have just released their interim report on the Fukushima.accident.

This is a precursor document to the detailed announcement of an increase in the number of nuclear power plants and related investment. The increase in number is to enable a reduction in carbon emissions and increased low cost electricity supply.

Lots of interesting conclusions:

Conclusion 1: In considering the direct causes of the Fukushima accident we see no reason for curtailing the operation of nuclear power plants or other nuclear facilities in the UK. Once further work is completed any proposed improvements will be considered and implemented on a case by case basis, in line with our normal regulatory approach.

Conclusion 2: In response to the Fukushima accident, the UK nuclear power industry has reacted responsibly and appropriately displaying leadership for safety and a strong safety culture in its response to date.

Conclusion 3: The Government’s intention to take forward proposals to create the Office for Nuclear Regulation, with the post and responsibilities of the Chief Inspector in statute, should enhance confidence in the UK’s nuclear regulatory regime to more effectively face the challenges of the future.

Conclusion 4: To date, the consideration of the known circumstances of the Fukushima accident has not revealed any gaps in scope or depth of the Safety Assessment Principles for nuclear facilities in the UK.

Conclusion 5: Our considerations of the events in Japan, and the possible lessons for the UK, has not revealed any significant weaknesses in the UK nuclear licensing regime.

Conclusion 6: Flooding risks are unlikely to prevent construction of new nuclear power stations at potential development sites in the UK over the next few years. For sites with a flooding risk, detailed consideration may require changes to plant layout and the provision of particular protection against flooding.

Conclusion 7: There is no need to change the present siting strategies for new nuclear power stations in the UK.

Conclusion 8: There is no reason to depart from a multi-plant site concept given the design measures in new reactors being considered for deployment in the UK and adequate demonstration in design and operational safety cases.

Conclusion 9: The UK’s gas-cooled reactors have lower power densities and larger thermal capacities than water cooled reactors which with natural cooling capabilities give longer timescales for remedial action. Additionally, they have a lesser need for venting on loss of cooling and do not produce concentrations of hydrogen from fuel cladding overheating.

Conclusion 10: There is no evidence to suggest that the presence of MOX fuel in Reactor Unit 3 significantly contributed to the health impact of the accident on or off the site.

Conclusion 11: With more information there is likely to be considerable scope for lessons to be learnt about human behaviour in severe accident conditions that will be useful in enhancing contingency arrangements and training in the UK for such events.

The document (122 pages) with much detail on the Fukushima accident can be found here:

Fukushima interim report

I await the US equivalent from the Obama Administration!

link   
Say What? The finger pointing accelerates...Can anyone confirm who in Washington requested this?

Radioactive water released at U.S. request: Cabinet adviser

SEOUL (Kyodo) -- Japanese playwright Oriza Hirata, who serves as a special adviser to the Cabinet, claimed in a recent lecture given here that the dumping of low-level radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean was done at the "strong request" from the United States, a person who attended the lecture said Wednesday.

The release of the water from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant last month generated anxiety about the possible spread of radioactive contamination from the seaside power station.

The Japanese government had apparently given its permission for the release of the water after receiving a report from plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co.

Hirata's remarks, made Tuesday, that the release was not carried out based on Tokyo's independent judgment but rather on a request from Washington is likely to ignite a discussion.

Source

Hillary Clinton was in Japan April 17. The water release (in addition to what has been spewing out in massive quantities daily that they don't talk about) was April 4. G.E.'s Immelt was there April 4.

bold added.

link   

Originally posted by Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Have we any idea what happened to the Fukushima 50 at this point or shall I just assume their contracts have all expired?

I understand that as they have reached their radiation limits they have left Fukushima and gone on to their next task, serving as nightlights.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NOMOREFEDRESERVE

Methinks you might be just a tad on the confused side. You replied to my post yet you address the poster I was replying to.

Not being able to speak for another, I can tell you for myself that Silverlok's contributions to this thread have been multitudinous and well-thought. He has illuminated much that Tepco would rather not be brought to light and has provided solid technical answers. He has also made sense of the disinformation providing explanations that even my teenagers are able to grasp.

I don't know that he has a purpose beyond what any of us here have taken up; the dissemination of fact and providing analysis, opinion, and commentary on what is humanities worst accident in history.

Do you have a purpose in this?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

The venting system, built by General Electric, used the same power source as the rest of the plant, backup generators in basements that were vulnerable to tsunamis. The earthquake also may have damaged the valves, Tepco said.

More feet to hold to the fire! Am i the only one who thinks that the firm that did the original design on this plant shares at least some culpability in this fiasco? I am reminded that GE sent some bigwigs early on in this incident and I remember thinking that it was a bit odd.

I mean, yes they would know the plant almost as well as Tepco but they also have almost as mug to loose if problems in one of their designs were made known. Especially as there are a number of other plants sharing specs with the Dai-Ichi plant and therefore would be subject to the same sort of issues.

Slowly, ever so slowly, it is beginning to dawn on the masses that the wool they've been handing over to TPTB is being used to knit cerements with which to cover the carcass of the lowly.

Here is a lovely paragraph:

U.S. officials had said American reactors would be spare such disasters by new and stronger venting systems. But Tepco now says Fukushima installed the same vents years ago, the Times reported.

I am reminded of comments made about a certain "unsinkable" ship that currently is sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic.

Source for above quotes
edit on 18-5-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Sourced

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
If I may respond as well,

Originally posted by NOMOREFEDRESERVE

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

I'm looking to see what I can dig up.

So far is this:

“We have over 100 monitors up and running, more than enough to detect even the slightest fluctuations in background radiation levels,” said Brendan Gilfillan, an EPA spokesman. “The network was built specifically to ensure that if one monitor is down for maintenance, we still have overlapping regional coverage.”

source

Which leads me here:

Office of the Press Secretary Brendan Gilfillan, Press Secretary
Phone: 202-564-8368
Email: gilfillan.brendan@epa.gov

source

Just a mouthpiece, I know but somewhere to start. Find out who his boss is and work your way up the ladder.

On another front we have the following:

The bad news from Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant continues to reverberate around the world, dimming nuclear energy's future and boosting the fortunes of low-carbon power sources. Last week's decision by Japan's prime minister to scrap plans for 14 new reactors is just the latest sign of a global nuclear slowdown, and the technology faces renewed scrutiny even in countries with pronuclear governments, including the U.S., China, and France.

source

Which is somewhat encouraging for a couple of reasons. First is that it is further evidence that even before Fukshima, there really was a slowdown beginning in the area of nuclear energy. And second, is the source. MIT carries quite a bit of weight in many circles and if this is being said in this particular ivory tower, then we may have some small hope.

A bit discouraging is this part:

What has not changed, says Keppler, are the drivers that were fueling new reactor construction: concerns over energy security and climate change. In the past, nuclear technology has been perceived as the cheapest option. But with nuclear on hold, governments are looking to accelerate renewable-energy development, and the latest cost estimates from the U.S. Energy Information Agency provide support for that position

Since the type of climate change that the media has driven is false (discussion for a different thread) the only real reason is the so-called energy security. What is really meant is control.

And in the case of Fukushima, we are seeing what pursuit of the control of energy has lead to; an open, festering wound that is going to be worse than anything we've encountered to date as a species and it's being ignored and willfully shunted aside as an article of concern or even discourse.

Keep on shining that light ATS, into the darkest and most distant hidy holes you can find, so we can dig up whatever can be gleaned from the pitiable pickings we're left with!

Silverlok, I'm not sure what your intent is with this thread, but the first quote about the EPA and the 100 monitors interested me so I went to that link. Having read through it just once, I know that just about everything that EPA claimed was a lie. Their monitors are far from adequate for the coverage that is necessary and far to many have been broken, and EPA could care less.

Here is a quote from Alexander Higgins Blog
"After Japan nuclear radiation was detected in Richland Washington drinking water local NBC news station KEPR in inquired as to why the federal radiation monitor went offline. The EPA responded stated they are aware that radiation monitors are broken and have no plans to fix it because monitoring radiation is the area is not a priority.

The Feds actually have broken non-working Japan nuclear radiation monitors in 37 US Cities, all not a priority to fix. A complete list below.

So what exactly are the priorities of the Feds?"
http://(nolink)/2011/04/14/feds-local-cbs-news-station-fixing-broken-japan-nuclear-radiation-monitors-priority-17358/

That would be 37 out of 100 monitors. I wittnessed it myself, as those monitors were down for quite awhile.

Some more info:"Gaps in US radiation monitoring system revealed"

"In California, home to two seaside nuclear plants located close to earthquake fault lines, federal officials said four of the 11 stationary monitors were offline for repairs or maintenance last week. The Environmental Protection Agency said the machines operate outdoors year-round and periodically need maintenance, but did not fix them until a few days after low levels of radiation began drifting toward the mainland U.S.

About 20 monitors out of 124 nationwide were out of service earlier this week, including units in Harlingen, Tex. and Buffalo, N.Y. on Friday, according to the EPA.

Gaps in the system—as well as the delays in fixing monitors in some of Southern California's most populated areas—have helped to prompt hearings and inquiries in Washington and Sacramento."
www.mercurynews.com...

May I take an uninvited attempt at clarification here? What you read as a post describing the EPA monitoring system (see top of quote) was shared for an entirely different reason than about the "effective monitoring." The quote gave us a name of a living breathing person.

That link gets Brendan Gilfillan, an EPA spokesman, on the record as having Lied by saying, “The network was built specifically to ensure that if one monitor is down for maintenance, we still have overlapping regional coverage.” More names will be added to the list.

Throughout this thread, there has been extensive discussion, links, evidence of exactly what you describe and then some (a lot of some) in regards the EPA's lack of environmental protection. Silverlok was a part of those discussions. jadedANDcynica was a part of those discussions. They know EPA is lying. Now we are looking for names. People, real people, our fellow citizens in the United States, including those employed as spokespersons for the EPA, are going to ultimately have to answer for these lies and continued cover-up. We are noting them for posterity because, while we continue to push forward in this thread to see the threats that have not crested the horizon yet, we are also trying to connect with and build on what we already know...in this instance, yes, that the EPA has lied and continues to NOT protect the people it is charged with protecting, on our dime.

A kind of information short-hand develops where you know someone already has the back story and knows where to file the proposed information accordingly in their knowledge-base of this crisis coverage. Hope that helps. I know it is sometimes difficult to understand where some of the old-timers are in their discussion. It is fairly safe to assume that if Higgins had it, if EX-SKF thought it, if Arnie aired it...it is in this thread and a part of the collective memory (Des' collective brain cells.) What is helpful is a quick reminder to readers that yes, there is evidence (as you pointed out) that the EPA is lying. They are. We are putting names with "faces."

Uninvited guest response: stage left.
Sorry for the long quote.

top topics

<< 876  877  878    880  881  882 >>

join