It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 878.htm
<< 875  876  877    879  880  881 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
And dont forget,,,,,,,,,,,,

RE-EVALUATE
edit on 17-5-2011 by BobAthome because: times a wasting

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Bill Borchardt. Executive Director for Operations made the press statement. Release pdf link below.

NRC news release

Briefing on NRC task force review of Fukushima

Search page for all NRC publicly available documents

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Tworide

"Many experts say a full-blown China syndrome is unlikely "

I am sooooooooooooo sick of "EXPERTS" telling me that it is "unlikely" too happen,, their experts, bite the bullet for once thats why u get paid the big bucks,,,just really tired of their fear of reality.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
What do you know?

The Wall Street Journal has a BIG piece on the problem:

FUKUSHIMA PREFECTURE, Japan—The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant deteriorated in the crucial first 24 hours far more rapidly than previously understood, a Wall Street Journal reconstruction of the disaster shows

Remember the "wrong plugs for the generators?" Here is where that misunderstanding came from:

The celebration was premature. Tepco workers couldn't hook the generators to the plant's damaged main switches. Some cables were too short to reach other parts of the facility. Tsunami warnings forced workers to retreat to higher ground. During the first 24 hours, only one generator was successfully hooked up, Tepco documents show.

You mean to tell me that at a nuclear ELECTRICITY plant, they could not find any wire they could use?!

Here is some wonderful reasoning for you:

Government officials now say it took Tepco so long to decide to vent because the radiation release would sharply elevate the accident's severity. They say Tepco still hoped the accident could be contained without venting, given that release of radioactivity in the atmosphere would instantly rank Fukushima among the world's worst accidents, along with Chernobyl.

So we come back to saving face as a valid basis for making life/death decisions? I don't know if I can square that with my thoughts about the great Japanese culture. Or at least that part of it anyway.

This gives me a warm feeling in a dark and somewhat twisted way:

Once the group entered the emergency bunker there, a Tepco staffer tested their radiation levels with a Geiger counter. A plant worker entering at the same time registered a reading so steep it prompted the tester to exclaim, "Wow! It's really high where you were," an aide recalls.

And I'll tell you why, the worker who was tested I have empathy for. What tickles the demon inside of me is that there is a possibility that some of the radiactive particles from this worker may have made on (or better, in) the Tepco execs or other govt boobs that are responsible for the poor response to this mess.

This person seems to deserve much respect:

For the motor-driven valve, there was only one option: Crank it open by hand. Fukushima Daiichi's shift manager decided it was his responsibility to take the first crack at that, Fukushima prefectural officials recall. "Let me be the one," he said, according to the officials.

He went in wearing full protective gear, including a mask and an oxygen tank. Even so, by the time he returned, he'd gotten a 106.3 millisievert dose of radiation, these people say. That's more than twice what Japan normally permits for workers in radioactive environments in one year, and more than one hundred times normal annual exposure.

source

I am left speechless

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Do you have a source for that? That's a new twist. While discussed before it was always with the no not good head shake. Just interested in reading more from that source. Thanks.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Was in my notes,, it exists in one of the earliest ATS threads,, the ones that kept getting closed at the very begining of this event, remember back then eveyone was saying it's not that bad, its only a leak,, where's your source/link to establish fact, then comments get censored and threads 404rd maybe use ATS search?

But remember i am asking for "conformation" could be big pile of radioactive sludge for all i know. will try to find.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
What do you know?

The Wall Street Journal has a BIG piece on the problem:

FUKUSHIMA PREFECTURE, Japan—The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant deteriorated in the crucial first 24 hours far more rapidly than previously understood, a Wall Street Journal reconstruction of the disaster shows

Remember the "wrong plugs for the generators?" Here is where that misunderstanding came from:

The celebration was premature. Tepco workers couldn't hook the generators to the plant's damaged main switches. Some cables were too short to reach other parts of the facility. Tsunami warnings forced workers to retreat to higher ground. During the first 24 hours, only one generator was successfully hooked up, Tepco documents show.

You mean to tell me that at a nuclear ELECTRICITY plant, they could not find any wire they could use?!

Here is some wonderful reasoning for you:

Government officials now say it took Tepco so long to decide to vent because the radiation release would sharply elevate the accident's severity. They say Tepco still hoped the accident could be contained without venting, given that release of radioactivity in the atmosphere would instantly rank Fukushima among the world's worst accidents, along with Chernobyl.

So we come back to saving face as a valid basis for making life/death decisions? I don't know if I can square that with my thoughts about the great Japanese culture. Or at least that part of it anyway.

This gives me a warm feeling in a dark and somewhat twisted way:

Once the group entered the emergency bunker there, a Tepco staffer tested their radiation levels with a Geiger counter. A plant worker entering at the same time registered a reading so steep it prompted the tester to exclaim, "Wow! It's really high where you were," an aide recalls.

And I'll tell you why, the worker who was tested I have empathy for. What tickles the demon inside of me is that there is a possibility that some of the radiactive particles from this worker may have made on (or better, in) the Tepco execs or other govt boobs that are responsible for the poor response to this mess.

This person seems to deserve much respect:

For the motor-driven valve, there was only one option: Crank it open by hand. Fukushima Daiichi's shift manager decided it was his responsibility to take the first crack at that, Fukushima prefectural officials recall. "Let me be the one," he said, according to the officials.

He went in wearing full protective gear, including a mask and an oxygen tank. Even so, by the time he returned, he'd gotten a 106.3 millisievert dose of radiation, these people say. That's more than twice what Japan normally permits for workers in radioactive environments in one year, and more than one hundred times normal annual exposure.

source

I am left speechless

WSJ links pasted in sites will not give you the same page, but go to an abreviated one. You will have to go to Google, do a search on Fukushima news to find this story and click on the link in Google to see the whole thing. WSJ stories are a PITA that way...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by welshbeliever

hopefully this thread wont get deleted as this is all over the news channels!!!!
The Japanese government has declared a nuclear power emergency situation following Friday's devastating earthquake, although the prime minister, Naoto Kan, said that there had been no reports of radiation leaks at any of the country's nuclear facilities.
they are having problems cooling the fuel rods in the nuclear reactor.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Very first page on here

"hopefully this thread wont get deleted"

unquote
link could be gone regarding the "what is MOX fuel"

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Hi Japan people.

If you will pardon the digression, I'd like to say something about oats. Please bear with me for a moment.

I'm almost as big a fan of oats as Wilfred Brimley, but even I never expected this sort of thing when I woke up today:

Sometimes, its a good thing to celebrate unexpected good news by giving something back. Thus, I will be donating all profits that I have personally made on invesments related to anticipated oat price movements in the last 24 hours to a Japanese disasater relief fund, anonymously (using my ATS moniker). If anyone reading this would like their ATS moniker to be included as well, as another anon co-doner (without having to actually give any money of your own, of course), shoot me a U2U within several hours after I post this. After that, I will have already sent the cash.

Note that, in line with both my personal ethics and ATS terms and conditions, I am NOT soliciting any money from anyone, not would I accept a single penny. I am simply offering a chance for any ATS moniker to be included in an anon list of "doners," with me putting up every actual penny.

All of you are "doners" to me of something worth far than money (well...reasonable amounts of money...lets not get carried away here...) because you have kept this wonderful thread going. Please allow me to do something for you, humble as it may be, and for the people of Japan, who of course deserve it most.

Please carry on, sorry for the inturruption.

Silent Thunder

edit on 5/18/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

bob how many "particles" of plutonium are safe? (what is particle , what is safe?)
(back to the fukushima incident in a moment)

edit on 18-5-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

You know i truly believe that you were one of the very few people that could have been, shall we a positive influence at the very onset of this crisis,, why you hesitated is beyond my understanding.
I'll pass.

In my own humble opinion that is.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Their all safe within their own enviroment or contained.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

You know i truly believe that you were one of the very few people that could have been, shall we a positive influence at the very onset of this crisis,, why you hesitated is beyond my understanding.
I'll pass.

In my own humble opinion that is.

How do you know what else what I've done and haven't done, which hasn't been posted here? Just because I didn't say something on ATS doesn't mean it didn't happen. You think this is the first money I've given to Japan? And do you think it's the last? If so, you'd be wrong on both counts.

But because those things have nothing to do with ATS, I never mentioned them here. This particular thing does, so I mentioned it here. Makes sense, right?

In fact, lots of things -- good and bad -- happened at that time that have nothing whatsoever to do with ATS and thus were not posed by me. You can't be expected to know that, but you *should* be expected to avoid jumping to conclusions.

By the way, what have *you* done for Japan? You pointed fingers first, so let's see your moral high ground, buddy.

edit on 5/18/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

really? tell me BOBATHOME how this applies , ???????

(if you do not answer in a decent timeframe I will edify)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

"how many "particles" of plutonium are safe?" it is dependent upon the bodies natural accumilated maximum level, past that point of natural accumulation, danger in the form of cellular damage begins too occur, as the build up of "particles" increase the bodies immunity decreases, thats as best as i can put it , under the time limit given.
I like too think of radiation it in the terms of it's original concept,, it was thought too have been a virus initially remember that Hiroshima was a labratory in the beggining they thought the illnesses the people suffered were Biological.
times up.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

Bill Borchardt. Executive Director for Operations made the press statement. Release pdf link below.

NRC news release

Briefing on NRC task force review of Fukushima

Search page for all NRC publicly available documents

Thank you for taking the time to bring these links and documents to my/our attention.
I read the first report and this one is a heck of a lot clearer.
I just hope the Japanese people and all others get it through their heads that they need to demand transperancy of their own governments.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

"how many "particles" of plutonium are safe?" it is dependent upon the bodies natural accumilated maximum level, past that point of natural accumulation, danger in the form of cellular damage begins too occur, as the build up of "particles" increase the bodies immunity decreases, thats as best as i can put it , under the time limit given.
I like too think of radiation it in the terms of it's original concept,, it was thought too have been a virus initially remember that Hiroshima was a labratory in the beggining they thought the illnesses the people suffered were Biological.
times up.

thank you for being so scientific that everyone will believe you

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The New York Times coming through with news that cross-relates to their readers in the U.S. And, it appears Mr. Jeffrey Immelt and company at G.E. may be the newest shared equity/shared loss target.

In Japan Reactor Failings, Danger Signs for the U.S.

Emergency vents that American officials have said would prevent devastating hydrogen explosions at nuclear plants in the United States were put to the test in Japan — and failed to work, according to experts and officials with the company that operates the crippled Fukushima Daiichi plant.

The failure of the vents calls into question the safety of similar nuclear power plants in the United States and Japan.

American officials had said early on that reactors in the United States would be safe from such disasters because they were equipped with new, stronger venting systems. But Tokyo Electric Power Company, which runs the plant, now says that Fukushima Daiichi had installed the same vents years ago.

The documents paint a picture of increasing desperation at the plant in the early hours of the disaster, as workers who had finally gotten the go-ahead to vent realized that the system would not respond to their commands.

While venting would have allowed some radioactive materials to escape, analysts say that those releases would have been far smaller than those that followed the explosions at three of the plant’s reactors, which blew open containment buildings meant to serve as a first line of defense against catastrophe. The blasts may also have been responsible for breaches in containment vessels that have complicated efforts to cool the fuel rods and contain radioactive leaks from the site.

One reason the venting system at the plant, which was built by General Electric, did not work is that it relied on the same sources of electricity as the rest of the plant: backup generators that were in basements at the plant and vulnerable to tsunamis. But the earthquake may also have damaged the valves that are part of the venting system, preventing them from working even when operators tried to manually open them, Tokyo Electric officials said.

And finally,

Officials from General Electric did not comment on Tuesday.

Perhaps because their attorneys are screaming so loud they didn't hear the question. Now at least all that money G.E. saved not paying a dollar in U.S. taxes, like the rest of us have to, can go to a good cause too...nuclear refugees in Japan and clean up of our planet. They are going to have to build bigger capacity washing machines to handle this load.

New York Times

Nite fellow collective brain cells, to quote our Des.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Well actually all i have are my fingers and a keyboard, you would have too read my posts i guess,, but i do remember way back sending you a message that people were concerned about you'r well being,, and looking for you on here, and i did send you a heads up on your "hi im in tokyo" thread, look it up,,, bobathome thats me.
so ya all i have are my fingers and a keyboard.
moral high ground? dont think anyone on this planet at the moment has that seat.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Am i wrong?

top topics

<< 875  876  877    879  880  881 >>

join