It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 877.htm
<< 874  875  876    878  879  880 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
FINALLY....we get some official word from TEPCO

source

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Brings a whole new meaning to; no news is good news

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

Ok...since I got one little cartoon in, I have to contribute just one more...

This one is for all the very Old Timers on this thread. Guess who is back on site at their day job?

Happy trails.

source

Good job tonight to our posters. Excellent find on the elusive FUBARium Falls again. That one did not reappear in later photo ops. Great digging all.
edit on 17-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: added source

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

OH NO...... NOT MR. BILL

OVER AND OUT

edit on 17-5-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frenchi
reply to post by rbrtj

Here are the pics you where looking for.

Originally posted by Frenchi

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Silverlok
I think that since ATS has done much work on the subject someone here should get to name that poolium falls thing(visible in the upper left hand corner at about 1:21...any suggestions?

I was thinking about that .... "Fuzium" a few days ago. Here are some "blow-up" (forgive the pun) of the pics on different days. Check out the last one from TEPCO. The "fuzium" is a goldish color.

Source ... cryptome

Now you see it, now you don't...
In Zorgons frame capture from a video ( the PMs unscheduled helo flight?) has the falls on the North wall of #4, but no date given. But by the March 24 pic they're gone. Evidence of a catastrophic SFP meltdown disposed of? I'll bet that never shows up in a published report from TEPCO, or is found out by the upcoming IAEA inspection.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Ex SKF blog is saying the core may have melted out of the containment vessel:

Hiroaki Koide of Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute is quoted by Mainichi Shinbun as saying that the melted core of the Reactor 1 is not just out of the Reactor Pressure Vessel but out of the Containment Vessel.

According to TEPCO, the data analysis shows that damage to the RPV is not extensive. However, Koide thinks "The RPV has been completely damaged, the melted core bore a hole at the bottom of the Containment Vessel, causing the large amount of contaminated water to leak into the ground beneath the reactor building."

but I can't find the story in Mainichi Shinbun to get more details - I'll keep looking.

exSKF blog

Time is speculating on the same thing:

Was Fukushima a China Syndrome?

Last week, plant operator Tepco sent engineers in to recalibrate water level gauges in reactor number 1. They made an alarming discovery: virtually all the fuel in the core had melted down. That means that the zirconium alloy tubes that hold the uranium fuel and the fuel itself lies in a clump---either at the bottom of the pressure vessel, or in the basement below or possibly even outside the containment building. Engineers don't know for sure, though current temperature readings suggest that fission inside the reactor core has definitely ceased for good (i.e. there will be no further melting).

Anecdotal evidence doesn't bode well for how far the fuel melted: Tepco has been pumping thousands of tons of water onto reactor 1 to try to cool it—yet the water level in the containment vessel is too low to run an emergency cooling system. That means the water is escaping somewhere on a course cut by molten fuel--probably into the basement of the reactor building, though it's also possible it melted through everything into the earth.

Many experts say a full-blown China syndrome is unlikely in large part because the fuel from the type of reactors at Fukushima is designed in such a way that it probably won't sustain "recriticality" once meltdown occurs. What's more, boron, which slows nuclear reactions, was pumped into the cooling water of the reactor after the initial accident to prevent the core from going "critical" again.

TIME

I know many of you here could have written this article - weeks ago - so my question is what really are the repercussions of this - what does this mean going forward? Will the boron help slow it down?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
HMMMM
Even these fo9lks have stopped reporting ...

Fukushima
last modified 2011-05-13 11:26 Thank you for your interest in the FLEXPART products for Fukushima. The Forecast system is no longer running.

We have discontinued our Flexpart forecast of the atmospheric dispersal of radionucleides from Fukushima. This due to the fact that we do not have access to reliable release rates reflecting the current situation at the plant to be used as input to our simulations. It is likely that the release of radioactive material is significantly reduced compared to the initial period, and that levels no longer pose a health risk at distance from the plant.

We thank you for your interest in our FLEXPART products.

transport.nilu.no...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

no the boron is useless at this point, except in the pools and then only to a limited extent

(third attempt to post this )

so in the 'marvel what if ' universe Hulk was killed by wolverine , wolverine has the # beat out of him and was killed by spiderman ,

wolverine first :

Whom are the names attached to the state department decision (seriously meltdown(s) admitted and we are out , no problem detected) to stop monitoring?

Tepco is no longer a foreign soil enemy . NAMES of the people responsible for the decision to stop monitoring.
NAMES of the people whom are suppose to be responsible and whom are being paid with your (tax) money. they are suppose to work for you , if a meltdown was admitted they are SUPPOSE TO go into overdrive to protect people .

NAMES and responsibility

japan may seem remote

but NAMES

ah NAMES

are magic

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

And spiderman had the web...

A beginning...of course the news page does not list their bow out announcment. But we will find the sources.

The Commission

The NRC is headed by five Commissioners appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate for five-year terms. One of them is designated by the President to be the Chairman and official spokesperson of the Commission.
Chairman Gregory B. Jaczko
Commissioner Kristine L. Svinicki
Commissioner George Apostolakis
Commissioner William D. Magwood, IV
Commissioner William C. Ostendorff

Source

Hope they enjoy their google name alert.

edit on 17-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

It seems like you all did the work and got left holding the bag.
I guess that is how it goes for super heroes.
This whole mess has really opened my eyes.
I learned a crap load of stuff.
What about the people of Japan?
edit on 17-5-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

It does not stop there, or here for that matter
edit on 17-5-2011 by Silverlok because: t is somtimes good

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Radioiodine found in rainwater
No public health concern expected

Updated: Sunday, 27 Mar 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
Published : Sunday, 27 Mar 2011, 2:11 PM EDT

* Sy Becker

"BOSTON (WWLP) - Raindrops containing low level radioactive material from Japan have reached Massachusetts. We're told there's nothing to worry about right now.

The radioiodine as it's called, is believed to have come from the earthquake related problems at that Japanese nuclear power plant.

Massachusetts Public Health Commissioner John Auerbach notified 22News this afternoon, the radioiodine was found in a sample of rainwater.

Auerbach insisted it's not a public health concern and poses no danger to drinking water, even though there's been a slight spike in radiation.

In his words, the Public Health Department will continue to monitor drinking water everywhere in Massachusetts"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and don't forget,,Public Health Commissioner's ,

now that they have confirmation of everything we have been saying,

(remember that MOX dirty bomb detonated 2 months ago,,. will they act?)

for the good of Public Health??? Time for re-evaluation of the situation,,Public Health Commissioner's.
edit on 17-5-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
And how about here in Canada??

CBC News
Posted: Mar 23, 2011 4:36 PM NT
Last Updated: Mar 23, 2011 4:36 PM NT
Back to accessibility links
Radiation monitors like these in Sidney, B.C., are detecting miniscule increases in radiation, presumably from the troubled Japanese reactors. Radiation monitors like these in Sidney, B.C., are detecting miniscule increases in radiation, presumably from the troubled Japanese reactors. (CBC)
Supporting Story Content

A detector in St. John's has picked up signs of radiation believed to have come from damaged nuclear power facilities in Japan.

Health Canada is analyzing the data.

There have been reports that minuscule amounts of radioactive particles — believed to have come from Japan — have also been detected in Iceland, officials told Reuters Tuesday.

The amounts found in Iceland are believed to be too low to harm human health, according to the Icelandic Radiation Safety Authority (IRSA).

Traces of iodine-131 were discovered in an air filter used at a radiation monitoring center in Reykjavik the IRSA said Tuesday. Iodine-131 has also reportedly been detected in eastern Newfoundland.

A nuclear plant in Japan leaked radiation after it was damaged by a tsunami and earthquake on March 11.

The Health Canada detector is located on the roof at Memorial University's Fisheries and Marine Institute.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

That was march 23, its 2months ago,, that it " leaked radiation after it was damaged by a tsunami and earthquake on March 11." is now basically not very realistic assesment,, its official,, meltdown and bit bigger than a "leak"? lol time to re-evaluate.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Last night I woke up with an idea on how the sewer sludge got contaminated and it is the same way the water in Philidelphia or places with uncovered water reserves.
Air borne and from the rain.
After 911 my city covered our resivior in case of a dirty bomb attack.
I see others didn't get the memo or the funds or squandered them.
We were warned....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
Ex SKF blog is saying the core may have melted out of the containment vessel:

Hiroaki Koide of Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute is quoted by Mainichi Shinbun as saying that the melted core of the Reactor 1 is not just out of the Reactor Pressure Vessel but out of the Containment Vessel.

According to TEPCO, the data analysis shows that damage to the RPV is not extensive. However, Koide thinks "The RPV has been completely damaged, the melted core bore a hole at the bottom of the Containment Vessel, causing the large amount of contaminated water to leak into the ground beneath the reactor building."

but I can't find the story in Mainichi Shinbun to get more details - I'll keep looking.

exSKF blog

Time is speculating on the same thing:

Was Fukushima a China Syndrome?

Last week, plant operator Tepco sent engineers in to recalibrate water level gauges in reactor number 1. They made an alarming discovery: virtually all the fuel in the core had melted down. That means that the zirconium alloy tubes that hold the uranium fuel and the fuel itself lies in a clump---either at the bottom of the pressure vessel, or in the basement below or possibly even outside the containment building. Engineers don't know for sure, though current temperature readings suggest that fission inside the reactor core has definitely ceased for good (i.e. there will be no further melting).

Anecdotal evidence doesn't bode well for how far the fuel melted: Tepco has been pumping thousands of tons of water onto reactor 1 to try to cool it—yet the water level in the containment vessel is too low to run an emergency cooling system. That means the water is escaping somewhere on a course cut by molten fuel--probably into the basement of the reactor building, though it's also possible it melted through everything into the earth.

Many experts say a full-blown China syndrome is unlikely in large part because the fuel from the type of reactors at Fukushima is designed in such a way that it probably won't sustain "recriticality" once meltdown occurs. What's more, boron, which slows nuclear reactions, was pumped into the cooling water of the reactor after the initial accident to prevent the core from going "critical" again.

TIME

I know many of you here could have written this article - weeks ago - so my question is what really are the repercussions of this - what does this mean going forward? Will the boron help slow it down?

The Asahi Shimbun is running two stories today on this subject. Sounds like the Japanese press is starting to thumb their collective noses at the Governments "suggestion" to lay off.

Haruki Madarame, chairman of the Nuclear Safety Commission, said in a separate news conference the same day that the meltdowns should not come as a surprise. "When highly contaminated water was found at the No. 2 reactor building in late March, we recognized that a meltdown had taken place. So I informed the government," he said. "As for No. 1 and No. 3 reactors, we recognized that, given the processes that led to the accidents there, the same thing had occurred." Immediately after the crisis erupted at the nuclear power plant in March, experts pointed out that meltdowns likely occurred at all three reactors. But TEPCO's measures to contain the crisis have been based on the assumption of lighter damage to the reactor cores.

According to the data, the pressure in the pressure vessel of the No. 2 reactor dropped at 6:43 p.m. on March 15. A similar drop in pressure also took place at the No. 3 reactor at 11:50 p.m. on March 16. Those declines were apparently the result of holes made in the pressure vessels. Previously, it was believed that water was leaking through holes at the bottom of the pressure vessels where measuring instruments and part of the control rod mechanisms were located. Now, it appears that melted nuclear fuel formed new holes in the pressure vessels.

www.asahi.com...

Three reactors at the hobbled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant could be leaking highly radioactive water outside the reactor buildings following damage to pressure vessels by suspected meltdowns.

Inside the pressure vessel at the No. 2 reactor, pressure began dropping precipitously on the night of March 15, falling to almost the same level as the outside atmosphere. The following day, March 16, pressure in the surrounding containment vessel rose in the afternoon. The heat generated by a core meltdown likely burned holes through the bottom of the pressure vessel, accounting for the rise in pressure. Data acquired by a robot sent into the No. 2 reactor building indicated that it will be impossible for engineers to work inside the building any time soon because of high levels of humidity and radioactivity.

At the No. 3 reactor, pressure in the pressure vessel started to fall on the night of March 15. Similarly, as it fell to almost the same level as the outside atmosphere around midnight March 16, pressure in the containment vessel surged. Again, the bottom of the pressure vessel may have been damaged in a manner similar to the No. 2 reactor. Pressure in the containment vessel jumped March 20. It is believed this was caused by melted fuel rods dropping to the concrete bottom of the containment vessel through damaged piping, some of it used to gauge neutron levels. As a result, gray smoke rose from the No. 3 reactor building shortly before 4 p.m. on March 21.

To add to growing concerns, the No. 3 reactor remains volatile, with temperatures inside the pressure vessel increasing since late April after dropping earlier.

www.asahi.com...

You're right Maluhia, this scenario was postulated on this tread more than 6 weeks ago by theredneck and others, based on the data that everyone on this thread had sleuthed out.
Kudos for all that hard work to those contributed!
edit on 17-5-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I'm looking to see what I can dig up.

So far is this:

“We have over 100 monitors up and running, more than enough to detect even the slightest fluctuations in background radiation levels,” said Brendan Gilfillan, an EPA spokesman. “The network was built specifically to ensure that if one monitor is down for maintenance, we still have overlapping regional coverage.”

source

Which leads me here:

Office of the Press Secretary Brendan Gilfillan, Press Secretary
Phone: 202-564-8368
Email: gilfillan.brendan@epa.gov

source

Just a mouthpiece, I know but somewhere to start. Find out who his boss is and work your way up the ladder.

On another front we have the following:

The bad news from Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant continues to reverberate around the world, dimming nuclear energy's future and boosting the fortunes of low-carbon power sources. Last week's decision by Japan's prime minister to scrap plans for 14 new reactors is just the latest sign of a global nuclear slowdown, and the technology faces renewed scrutiny even in countries with pronuclear governments, including the U.S., China, and France.

source

Which is somewhat encouraging for a couple of reasons. First is that it is further evidence that even before Fukshima, there really was a slowdown beginning in the area of nuclear energy. And second, is the source. MIT carries quite a bit of weight in many circles and if this is being said in this particular ivory tower, then we may have some small hope.

A bit discouraging is this part:

What has not changed, says Keppler, are the drivers that were fueling new reactor construction: concerns over energy security and climate change. In the past, nuclear technology has been perceived as the cheapest option. But with nuclear on hold, governments are looking to accelerate renewable-energy development, and the latest cost estimates from the U.S. Energy Information Agency provide support for that position

Since the type of climate change that the media has driven is false (discussion for a different thread) the only real reason is the so-called energy security. What is really meant is control.

And in the case of Fukushima, we are seeing what pursuit of the control of energy has lead to; an open, festering wound that is going to be worse than anything we've encountered to date as a species and it's being ignored and willfully shunted aside as an article of concern or even discourse.

Keep on shining that light ATS, into the darkest and most distant hidy holes you can find, so we can dig up whatever can be gleaned from the pitiable pickings we're left with!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Maybe a russian weapons expert, or american or canadian don't care what nationality just don't lie anymore,,

IS THEIR ANY TRUTH TOO THE FOLLOWING: ???????

What is in the MOX?
Its Russian bomb grade material. You are told 5% plutonium, but what is it really? Do you really know??

It is currently fissioning all by itself. Certain rare earth materials will continue to feed the reaction, which in effect has the potential to consume the entire Earths certain rare metals which will finally stop the reaction. In essence, slowly consume the Earth, releasing ever more contaminants, all manner of radionuclides as it goes.

Mankind has never faced ANYTHING close to this event.

Nuking it is probably the only answer. The critical mass must be distributed in such a fashion that nuetrons cant hit fissionable material, so the reaction stops.

Nobody knows for certain when the window closes to stop this thing.

Unfortunately for all humans the radiation released and injected into the stratosphere is gonna cause massive unprecedented death.

Its almost certainly the lessor of evils.

The best in the business are at the plant, with the tools they need, and will do their best to scatter the MOX around while putting as little airborne as possible.

They are good at what they do, the best, but its a very imperfect solution.
-----------------------------------------------------------

(because i just don't know and i feel we have reached a point where FULL disclosure is needed.)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
helpfull???

Here is a list of the radioactive particles in the air.
Taken from the 3-16-11 on ZAMG site.

XE-133
CS-134
BA-136M
CS-136
CS 137
I-131
I-132
I-133
TE-132

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Speaking of NRC commissioners...

NRC Commissioners Report Chairman Left Them in the Dark:

WASHINGTON – Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko promised to be more transparent than his predecessors when he began his job in May 2009. But congressional investigators say Jaczko, a former staffer of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has been anything but transparent in his handling of the federal government's response to the Japanese nuclear crisis.

They assert that as one of President Obama's czars, he could be acting beyond what the law allows.

Jaczko assumed "emergency powers" following last month's earthquake and tsunami in Japan – powers that allow him to unilaterally manage the agency's response to the Japanese nuclear crisis without participation from the other NRC commissioners.

Now Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., the ranking member of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, asked his committee staff to contact all four of the other NRC commissioners. Inhofe was told Jaczko had not informed them of his decision to invoke his powers, as of March 30.

"Since March 28th was the first indication my staff received regarding your exercise of emergency authority – apparently no public declaration was made – I am concerned that any effort by you to declare an emergency has been less than ideal, especially given your commitment to openness and transparency," Inhofe said in an April 6 letter to Jaczko.

GOP committee staffers say only the office of Senate Environment and Public Works Committee chairwoman Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., was informed, and they were kept out of the loop. EPW commissioners have pointed out that some members of their panel have more experience than Jaczko dealing with nuclear reactor issues of the sort that have plagued Japan since the earthquake.

Concerns also have been expressed that Jaczko's actions may be beyond what is allowed by law for the NRC chairman. The chairman is required to ensure "that the commission is fully and currently informed about matters within its functions." He also is supposed to inform the "commission of actions taken during an emergency."

GOP staffers say Jaczko's secret invocation of these powers with regard to Japan raises the question of whether or not he has acted similarly in other cases. They also tell WND that Jaczko may have exceeded his authority by declaring the emergency, because law limits his authority to matters "pertaining to an emergency concerning a particular facility or materials licensed or regulated by the commission," not foreign entities outside the NRC's jurisdiction. Inhofe asked Jaczko to provide his legal rationale for invoking his powers to deal with a foreign nuclear crisis, but his staff says the chairman's response has been "cagey."

Jaczko responded to the inquiry with an April 11 letter to Inhofe justifying his actions as being based in American national interests in Japan and the NRC's expertise with nuclear emergency response procedures. "The president designated me as chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission on May 13, 2009. That designation conferred upon me the executive authorities vested in the chairmanship, including the authority to exercise emergency powers, when warranted," the letter said.

And Jaczko has denied keeping his colleagues uninformed, both in writing and in oral testimony before the Senate Energy and Public Works Committee. The NRC chairman said in his letter, despite comments from the other commissioners to the contrary, that he has followed commission rules and has kept the other four commissioners informed of his activities related to Japan.

But this response has failed to answer the senator's concerns, and committee staffers say all five NRC commissioners likely will be asked to testify before Congress in the next month.

Jaczko also faces investigations in both the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee relative to his conduct as NRC chairman.

WorldNetDaily

I'm not a fan of that website, but the original congressional confrontation from James Inhofe can be found with some internet digging if anyone wants to find a true source for the "he said, she said" scenario quoted above.

From what I can gather, it looks like the US has already chosen their "fallguy" for when TSHTF and the truth starts coming out about coverups, downplaying, lying, etc etc on the severity of Fukishima.

And Mr. Chairman Jaczko is a complete idiot... does he not see what's coming his way ? Or is his ego too big to think that he'll go down when reports start showing that the NRC, EPA, IAEA, etc have all acted for the betterment of vested nuclear interests rather than the safety of its citizens ?

Going to need a bucket of popcorn for this one folks.

Watch it unfold before our very eyes... Jaczko goes down as the "fallguy" for the US's lack of action/information regarding this nuclear disaster.

How more predictable and obvious can it get ?

You heard it here first.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
And then their is this knee slapper,, lol

edit on 17-5-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

So how about INCREASING detection levels and times now that meltdown has been declared? just a suggestion.
edit on 17-5-2011 by BobAthome because: u think u have it bad in U.S of A

new topics

top topics

<< 874  875  876    878  879  880 >>

join