It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 868.htm
<< 865  866  867    869  870  871 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
At least some folks are still concerned. For our ATSers in Europe...

Update 5/14/11 Radiation Fukushima, IODINE

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Highly speculative post:

Follow up on a theory that they were and are using MOX fuel in Fukushima Daiichi reactors 1, 2, and/or 5 in addition to Unit 3. Four was in the process of fuel change, so if this theory ultimately proves to be true, then there are likely MOX fuel rods in the dryer pool and or spent fuel pool in number 4 as well. Units 1, 2, 3 and 5 previously went through shroud replacement. Unit Three we know is confirmed to be using MOX fuel.

Source page 4
TEPCO maintenance of ageing plant

Are there more than 32 assemblies that were announced for Unit 3 on site at Fukushima? Despite the denial, This would suggest there are...

Part of the 1999 shipment, intended for Kansai's Takehama plant, was returned to the UK in 2002 due to doubts about quality control. In 1999 and 2001, the shipments contained 60 MOX fuel assemblies for use in Tepco's Fukishima I-3 and Kashiwazaki-Kariwa 3 BWR units, respectively. The 2009 shipment contained 24 assemblies for Shikoku's Ikata 3, 28 for Chubu's Hamaoka 4, and 16 for Kyushu's Genkai 3. The 2010 shipment from France contained 12 assemblies for Kansai's Takahama 4 and 20 assemblies for the second load at Genkai 3.

Source

(Updated June 2010)

* From 1969-90 there were more than 160 shipments of used nuclear reactor fuel from Japan to Europe.
* Reprocessing of the Japanese used fuel has been undertaken in UK and France under contract with Japanese utilities.
* Recovered fissile materials are returned to Japan as reactor fuel, notably as mixed oxide (MOX) fuel.
* The first shipment to Japan of immobilised high-level waste from reprocessing took place in 1995 and the 12th and last one from France was in 2007.

Nuclear power provides about one third of Japan's electricity, and with the enhanced efficiency brought about by reprocessing used fuel to recycle the uranium and plutonium, it represents a major part of Japan's endeavours to achieve maximum self sufficiency in energy. Japan plans to have one third of its 53 reactors using some mixed uranium-plutonium oxide (MOX) fuel by 2010.

Reprocessing separates the waste, particularly the high-level waste containing nearly all of the radioactivity in spent fuel, from the uranium and plutonium which are recycled as fresh fuel. Separated high-level wastes – about 3% of the used fuel – remain.

Note the above goal for 2010.

So how and why would they have gone ahead with MOX fuel use, aside from the political hot potato

Today MOX is widely used in Europe and in Japan. Currently about 40 reactors in Europe (Belgium, Switzerland, Germany and France) are licensed to use MOX, and over 30 are doing so. In Japan about ten reactors are licensed to use it and several do so. These reactors generally use MOX fuel as about one third of their core, but some will accept up to 50% MOX assemblies. France aims to have all its 900 MWe series of reactors running with at least one third MOX. Japan also plans to use MOX in one third of its reactors in the near future and expects to start up a 1383 MWe (gross) reactor with a complete fuel loading of MOX at the Ohma plant in late 2014.2 Other advanced light water reactors such as the EPR or AP1000 will be able to accept complete fuel loadings of MOX if required.

The use of up to 50% of MOX does not change the operating characteristics of a reactor, though the plant must be designed or adapted slightly to take it. More control rods are needed. For more than 50% MOX loading, significant changes are necessary and a reactor needs to be designed accordingly.

An advantage of MOX is that the fissile concentration of the fuel can be increased easily by adding a bit more plutonium, whereas enriching uranium to higher levels of U-235 is relatively expensive. As reactor operators seek to burn fuel harder and longer, increasing burnup from around 30,000 MW days per tonne a few years ago to over 50,000 MWd/t now, MOX use becomes more attractive.

Reprocessing to separate plutonium for recycle as MOX becomes more economic as uranium prices rise. MOX use also becomes more attractive as the need to reduce the volume of spent fuel increase. Seven UO2 fuel assemblies give rise to one MOX assembly plus some vitrified high-level waste, resulting in only about 35% of the volume, mass and cost of disposal.

Source

MOX fuel assemblies are indistinguishable to the human eye from uranium dioxide fuel. TEPCO currently confirms only use of uranium dioxide fuel when we, in fact, know that they have begun using MOX in Unit 3. Why is MOX not detailed here?

Link

Source

Just a theory that they may have been using MOX fuel without political authorization in the name of profits. There may be ways to look at outputs prior to the March 11 disaster to see if levels are an indication of MOX fuel use.

Whether they were or were not using MOX, - plutonium is present in all reactor cores. And, all that high level waste has been returned to Japan from the U.K. and France.

Thanks for the speculation space. Just wanted to get these source tidbits and discrepancies logged in the thread.

Now, back to business.

edit on 15-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Meltdown occurred at Fukushima No. 1 reactor 16 hours after March 11 quake

Sunday 15th May, 08:51 PM JST

www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/key-nuclear-facilities-may-have-been-damaged-before-tsunami

TOKYO —

A nuclear fuel meltdown at the No. 1 reactor of the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi power plant is believed to have occurred around 16 hours after the March 11 quake and tsunami crippled the complex in northeastern Japan, Tokyo Electric Power Co said Sunday.

The reactor, the fuel of which was found Thursday to have largely melted, was already in a critical state at 6:50 a.m. on March 12 with most of its fuel having melted and fallen to the bottom of the reactor pressure vessel, the plant operator said based on its provisional assessment.

The reactor automatically halted shortly after the 2:46 p.m. earthquake, but its water level dropped to the upper part of the fuel rods and the temperature began to rise around 6 p.m. The damage to the fuel had begun by 7:30 p.m. with most of it having melted by 6:50 a.m. the following day, the utility said.

(...)

© 2011 Kyodo News. All rights reserved. No reproduction or republication without written permission.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
As Des would say, ripples:

TOKYO—Substantial damage to the fuel cores at two additional reactors of Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex has taken place, operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Sunday, further complicating the already daunting task of bringing them to a safe shutdown while avoiding the release of high levels of radioactivity. The revelation followed an acknowledgment on Thursday that a similar meltdown of the core took place at unit No. 1.

I'm pretty sure this was talked about as the probable truth way back in this thread. What we've surmised turns out to be what has actually happened.

Isn't this a bit ironic?

The nuclear industry lacks a technical definition for a full meltdown, but the term is generally understood to mean that radioactive fuel has breached containment measures, resulting in a massive release of fuel.

They don't even have the words to describe what is taking place much less the abiliy to formulate a plan to rectify the situation.

Oh, and the plans they do have aren't anywhere close to workable:

The revelations are likely to force an overhaul of the six- to nine-month blueprint for bringing the reactors to a safe shutdown stage and end the release of radioactive materials. The original plan, announced in mid-April, was due to be revised May 17.

Which, again, was something we as a whole saw as soon as the roadmap was released and digested.

I have to call BS here:

According to Tepco, hyrogen produced in the overheating of the reactor core at unit 3 flowed through a gas-treatment line and entered unit No. 4 because of a breakdown of valves. Hydrogen leaked from ducts in the second, third and fourth floors of the reactor building at unit No. 4 and ignited a massive explosion.

I'm pretty certain that the explosion at #3 severed any ties it may have had with it's neighboring reactors quite sufficiently to disallow this as a possibility. I think that the hot core that the sfp was holding boiled it's zircalloy coating off and that is where the hydrogen came from for that particular explosion.

Hey, it occurs to me that Arnie's theory for a pool-centric explosion at 3 might actually apply to 4! If he core was in the pool while the reactor was undergoing maintenance; it would have possibly provide the impetus for that water to boil off which resulted in the ensuing problems and eventual explosion.

Anyone think it might be or am I off in the wilderness?

Source for above quotes

Yes, the WSJ! we are finally seeing some coverage in the stateside press on this!

Keep usin the bullhorn!
edit on 15-5-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typo

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
more BS from TEPCO at online.wsj.com...
"By then, an operation to pump water into the reactor was under way. This prevented the worst-case scenario, in which the overheating fuel would melt its way through the vessels and discharge large volumes of radiation outside."

I guess in another month or 2 they will admit that the fuel HAS actually melted through the vessels, and are now somewhere in the ground underneath the reactor.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

I pity anyone who still buys into this load of crap. TEPCO, that playbook is worn out. Try another one...like maybe the truth! I really do hope that someday, some of these dark-souled creatures, are held accountable, in a court of human peers. That they are dug out from every hidy-hole, and made to stand in the light of day, and pay for their crimes.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
,,Moving on to the latest developments in Japan's ongoing nuclear crisis highly radioactive substances were detected in parts of Tokyo.
Japan's Asahi Shimbun reports about 3,200 and nearly 2-thousand becquerels of radioactive cesium per kilogram were found in the soil of Tokyo districts of Koto and Chiyoda, respectively, from testing conducted between April 10th and the 20th.
This amount is higher than what was found in the prefectures near the Fukushima plant and experts warn that other areas may be subject to radiation contamination as clusters of clouds containing radioactive material remain in the atmosphere."

SOURCE

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hi all,

Been following the thread daily and hadn't seen this posted, so:

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Moving on to the latest developments in Japan's ongoing nuclear crisis highly radioactive substances were detected in parts of Tokyo. Japan's Asahi Shimbun reports about 3,200 and nearly 2-thousand becquerels of radioactive cesium per kilogram were found in the soil of Tokyo districts of Koto and Chiyoda, respectively, from testing conducted between April 10th and the 20th. This amount is higher than what was found in the prefectures near the Fukushima plant and experts warn that other areas may be subject to radiation contamination as clusters of clouds containing radioactive material remain in the atmosphere. Meanwhile, the plant's main operator, TEPCO, says that over 3-thousand tons of contaminated water has been found in the basement of the No. 1 reactor, causing a delay in Japan's latest approach to cool down the reactors.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
You know what really tics me off. TEPCO keeps saying they in the process of cooling, and heading towards the goal of cold shutdown. No they aren't...they are worse than back at square one. They have purposely, wasted valuable time, and irreplaceable human lives. They are stuck in a rut of spin...spin...spin. Instead of doing the right thing, accepting all help offered in the beginning, all they've done is dig a deeper hole of deceit. I sense a turning point, a shift in the overall anger coming out of Japan. As Tokyo comes into play...we'll see a whole new level of unhappy campers. No longer will it just be "those people, way over there" bad things are happening to, it will be the ones who hold the economy of Japan by the throat. I predict, it will get ugly. It needs to get ugly. What TEPCO is doing IS UGLY!

I used to be a much simpler soul, 800+ pages ago....

Des

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I couldn't believe my eyes when i read this

Following the accident, some of the contaminated water found its way into the ocean. Other amounts, which were less radioactive, were discharged by TEPCO as it needed to free up storage space to hold more highly toxic water. The utility installed plastic curtain-like partitions, called silt fences, that hang from floats to near the sea bottom at six locations to help stop radioactive water from spreading farther in the ocean. But NISA said on May 11 that it was highly likely that almost all the radioactivity in the water had escaped into the sea by the time the utility installed the fences April 11-14.

did they honestly expect a few curtains to contain the radioactivity....they didn't even reach the bottom for gawds sake!
the more I read about this disaster the worse it gets.......when are we going to get the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
source

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
WC has been silent and dark for over an hour now. There was a lot of lit-up activity going on previously, now nothing...makes me wonder, ya know.

news.tbs.co.jp...

Des

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
www.greenpeace.org...
I do not have much to add other than the above link I just went over in search of anything that has not been covered here.
Hopefully this link will provide some news in the coming week.
I got zip in my search of seaweed samples for the west coast.
I do know that my state is really good at opening and closing shell fish seasons due to "red Tide etc"
let's hope this includes the "nucleTides".
With that thought I will look for info through the department of fish and wildlife, those folks are generally old hippies who warned us of this problem years ago but now got to much to loose if they go to jail, unlike me.
Peace out and keep the faith......

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The below link is contained in the link of my last post.
NUREG/CR-6920
SAND2006-3772P
Risk-Informed Assessment of
Degraded Containment Vessels
www.nrc.gov...

This is ldisaster is like a thread on an old sweater you pull it and it keeps unravelling until you got nothing but a ball of string.
edit on 15-5-2011 by rbrtj because: I hate pdfs but figured out how to copy

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
More shaking...have posed 5 so far today...

M 4.9, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan
38.729°N 141.745°E

Sunday, May 15, 2011 19:07:43 UTC
Monday, May 16, 2011 04:07:43 AM at epicenter

Depth: 59.00 km (36.66 mi)

Posted on 15 May 2011 | 7:07 pm

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I found this interesting blog about Fukusjima : www.jimstonefreelance.com....

I have found a couple of errors in his facts, but it makes for interesting reading in any case, and it gives some explanations of some of the weird things we have been battling to find explanations to. I am not sure that I agree 100% with him at this stage, as it has some quite serious implications, but I found it educational in any case.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I also found this manual, explaining a lot about the GE BWR and emergency systems : www.nrc.gov....

It also boils into my previous post, and makes one thing more clear, WHY did the steam-driven pumps fail? It doesn't need any electricity to operate, yet the reactors still failed in SPITE of these independent steam-driven pumps. It just doesn't make any sense, and that is why the blog I referred to in my previous post makes sense in that way, but I don't even want to think about the possibility of that guy's conclusion.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by imlite

Tent eh? Hmmm. Well I don't know how they expect polyester to:

1. Stop gamma radiation. As we know, gamma radiation will easily pass through fabrics.

2. Stop nano particles. Some of the aerosolized particles are fractions of microns in size. These particles could pass through polyester.

3. Stop gases. Same as 2.

4. Withstand tsunamis and cyclones. Not so worried about the fabric as much as the framework and the points at which the fabric interacts with the framework and any seams that will attach sections of the fabric. They will require vents, like the tents do, to equalize the internal pressure. These attachment points, seams, and vents will become weak spots in the fabric subject to tearing, and exit points for the radioactive elements.

Most polyester tents designed for extreme weather are doomed and low to the ground. This shape has stood the test of time and is structurally excellent under wind and snow loads (think expedition tents like the original North Face VE24 used on Everest that became the prototype for all domed hiking tents). These proposed structures are square and very very tall. The sides and corners will be subject to shear and stresses, and especially in close proximity to other buildings creating tunnels and downdrafts that will put enormous strain on the scaffolding and attachment points. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm not an engineer, but there's a reason most fabric structures of huge scale are doomed (think stadium roofs). In Vancouver, huge sections of the doomed roof of GM Place were literally torn off in a "out-of-design spec" windstorm we had.

5. Withstand UV radiation. Polyester degrades quickly under UV, and requires specialized UV treatments. Exposed to gamma radiation, heat and other toxic gases, I can't imagine how these treatments it will hold up.

6. Is no barrier against ground water contamination or downward moving corium. They will need a separate plan for this.

If this is a serious plan, and I can't really see how it is, they better be using some super awesome poly! My sense is that this is more of a PR exercise than a real solution. If so, once again the BS level is astounding. If they actually erect such a structure (or several) they will only, at best, be partially containing the radiation and it will take a massive toll on the huge number of workers they will need to erect such structures.

Here's the real scoop IMO. The don't know what to do. They are being asked for a plan by all the world's media and scientists - they can't appear to be without one. They've come up with this cock-a-mammy high-tech sounding solution to stall for time.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Thank you for directing me (us) towards the steam driven pumps. That does seem very odd to say the least. It seems we have to fight and scratch and claw and dig for every morsel of truth these days.

Don't let the mass corporatism run wild over you...brother.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I just fired off an e-mail to >>> SEPAdesk@dfw.wa.gov
State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) Coordinator 360 902-2575 360 902-2156 SEPAdesk@dfw.wa.gov

This is what I wrote

Hello, I'll get right to it, how safe is the seaweed and marine life off our coast.
The Fukushima disaster is alot worse than the MSM is telling us.
The information is out there, but very hard to find especially from Tepco.
Presently we are waiting and relying on Greenpeace to fill in the blanks.
Please help the peolpe of the state and country by doing the proper tests for Radiological nuclei.

The link is just a sample of the info that is not coming from our elected officials.

www.fairewinds.com...

I look forward to your response to this e-mail and wish you God speed at getting to the truth.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
WC has been silent and dark for over an hour now. There was a lot of lit-up activity going on previously, now nothing...makes me wonder, ya know.

news.tbs.co.jp...

Des

THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAW!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 865  866  867    869  870  871 >>

join