It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 865.htm
<< 862  863  864    866  867  868 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

A worker at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant died Saturday

And the guy was only on his second day at the job....

So... what the hell?

Second day at the job = no ``experience`` + poor training = death by stupid accident would be my guess.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

A worker at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant died Saturday

And the guy was only on his second day at the job....

So... what the hell?

Second day at the job = no ``experience`` + poor training = death by stupid accident would be my guess.

70R = death in 4 hours. No margin for error. Nuff said.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Updated articles, now quoting 3 TEPCO spokesmen.

Japan nuclear plant worker dies

Agence France-Presse

Posted date: May 14, 2011

services.inquirer.net/print/print.php?article_id=20110514-336490

(...)
The male worker in his 60s was confirmed dead after he was rushed to hospital after falling unconscious at the plant in the morning, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) spokesman Yoshinori Mori said.

When he was taken ill, the unidentified worker was carrying chainsaws with another worker inside a facility to treat contaminated water being released from the plant's crippled reactors, the official said.

"He was exposed to 0.17 millisieverts of radiation during the work. But, as he was wearing protective gear, no radioactive substances were detected on his body," Mori said, adding there were no signs of injury on the worker.

"We have yet to determine the cause of his death," the official added.
(...)

---

May 14, 4:45 AM EDT

Worker dies at Japan's tsunami-hit nuclear plant

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_JAPAN_EARTHQUAKE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-05-12-08-28-30

(...)
The worker was carrying equipment when he collapsed and died later in hospital, said Naoyuki Matsumoto, spokesman for Tokyo Electric Power Co. The company does not know the cause of his death, Matsumoto said.

The man had been wearing a radiation protection suit, mask and gloves while working at the plant's waste disposal building, which stores radioactive-contaminated water that has leaked from the tsunami-crippled reactors.

Two Fukushima workers had died March 11 from the tsunami itself, when waves swept into the plant and heavily damaged buildings and equipment. TEPCO said the workers, both in their early 20s, were found in the basement of a turbine building.
(...)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

70R = death in 4 hours. No margin for error. Nuff said.

I know there's tons of radiation, but come on. If radiation had killed him that fast, he wouldn't be the only one. Unless he was stupid enough to remove his head gear or boots or gloves for any reason.

I know what killed him... FIREWORKS! Yep, that must be it.

The guy was in his 60s... heart attack? Brain aneurysm?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
the latest pic from news.tbs.co.jp... averaged and slighly enhanced

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
2000 mSv detected in Building 1 : jen.jiji.com... .
This is twice the previous highest level detected (english.kyodonews.jp...)!!!

edit on 14/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: changed Sieverts to milliSieverts

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Contaminated nuke plant workers going back on job as safety regs go by wayside

Safety standards for workers at the tsunami-hit nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture have been relaxed without any scrutiny, forcing workers to do their jobs without being completely decontaminated, it has emerged.

An employee of one of the subcontractors at Fukushima plant said he worked there without such a special permit and was exposed to 1.3 millisieverts of radiation over a 2 1/2-hour period. Subsequent screening detected radioactive substances on the back of the employee's head and neck, as well as those of about 10 co-workers.

They washed with special shampoo at the nuclear crisis operations center about 20 kilometers away from the plant. However, three of them were unable to completely decontaminate themselves. They tried again at a TEPCO facility but failed to completely remove radioactive substances from their bodies. TEPCO subsequently issued a certificate specifying the areas of their bodies contaminated with radioactive material, and they returned to work.

In cases where radioactive substances are detected on workers' bodies, their employers are required to submit a report detailing the work they performed and how they were contaminated to the original contractor, which in turn must notify TEPCO.

However, the workers' subcontractor has neither submitted such a report to the original contractor nor been instructed by the contractor or TEPCO to do so. The employee has pointed out that the safety regulations have been eased without any scrutiny amid the ongoing crisis.

"Many of us are eager to help get the plant under control, and think we can't avoid being contaminated. But frankly speaking, we're concerned," he added.

Source

I wonder about the condition of the workers who went into unit 1 and 3 in the past few days with levels of 700 and 900 millisieverts respectively. Is TEPCO going to report news about workers with radiation sickness. A follow up on those injured with Unit 3 exploded and on others injured since this crisis began would also be appropriate.

edit on 14-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

I wonder about the condition of the workers who went into unit 1 and 3 in the past few days with levels of 700 and 900 millisieverts respectively. Is TEPCO going to report news about workers with radiation sickness. A follow up on those injured with Unit 3 exploded and on others injured since this crisis began would also be appropriate.

edit on 14-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

you are of by a factor of at least 2, radiation levels in #1 is now at 2000 mSv!!!!! I feel really, really so sorry for these poor employees. It feels as though I am watching a horror movie that just keeps on getting worse. And STILL the western MSM keeps silent!!!!!
edit on 14/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

It makes me sick reading this. But, TY for posting, the more we know, the more we can be prepared. I don't expect my government to be any more compassionate and humane than TEPCO. Sounds jaded I know, but it is, what it is.

The brave workers at Fukushima, are considered 100% disposable by TEPCO. As are thousands of men, women, and children, written off by the Japanese Gov't when weighed against the "bottom Line" of their economic status in the big picture. They have no shame.

Des

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
2000 mSv detected in Building 1 : jen.jiji.com... .
This is twice the previous highest level detected (english.kyodonews.jp...)!!!

Yup, guess that happens when you have a nuclear explosion...and those all pesky illiums dancing away 24/7. Speaking of R-1, it's lit up big time right now...something going on there. Expect more reports of men dying, but no radiation detected ON them.

WC news.tbs.co.jp...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

/SNIP
now if Greenpeace were smart they would hire some locals and do this exact thing...I mean if the seaweed miles from shore is bad it sure would be nice for some 'independent' numbers from places "off-limits" on shore, and man would it be nice to get some shots of the poolium falls , you know historically speaking

Greenpeace could also circumvent the government's interdiction of navigating within 12Km from the coast, by having the local fishermen doing it in their place.
Greenpeace would just have to lend them the necessary equipment to protect themselves, teach them how to use the equipment to take the water and air samples, and wait for the samples to come back for analysis.

In times of war, one must learn to improvise...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Radiation-contaminated area spans 800 square km, new map shows

The total area contaminated with radiation from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant is estimated at about 800 square kilometers, or about 40 percent the size of Tokyo, according to a radiation map created by the science ministry and U.S. Department of Energy.

The report uses the same level of contamination (555,000 becquerels or higher of cesium-137) that was used to issue compulsory evacuation orders in the Chernobyl nuclear accident in 1986.

According to the map, about 800 square kilometers are contaminated with accumulated cesium-137 of 600,000 becquerels or higher per square meter. The substance has a half-life of about 30 years.

This area is largely the same as the Fukushima no-entry zone and planned evacuation zone designated by the central government. The total area is about one-tenth the size of the contaminated area in the Chernobyl nuclear accident.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

In light of the news you posted...wonder how this is going to play out. China has not agreed yet. S. Korea is attempting a power play..If I were China, it would be, NO.

SKorea agrees to hold trilateral summit''s event in Fukushima
PTI | 01:05 PM,May 14,2011

Tokyo, May 14(Kyodo) South Korea has notified Japan of its acceptance of Tokyo's plan to hold the opening ceremony for their trilateral summit with China later this month in the city of Fukushima, around 60 kilometers northwest of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, sources close to bilateral relations said yesterday.China is still considering whether to accept the proposal by Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan amid lingering concern over the environmental impact of the nuclear crisis on the city and its vicinity, but Seoul's decision could prompt Beijing to positively consider Tokyo's proposal, observers said.While China has been urging Japan to clearly explain the radiation leaks at the nuclear plant crippled by the massive March 11 earthquake and ensuing tsunami, South Korea has judged that President Lee Myung Bak's trip to the city of Fukushima would not harm his health considering its distance from the nuclear power complex, the sources said.Kan will step up his efforts to secure the understanding of Chinese Premier

Again...those pesky "rumors" hurting Japan's reputation on the International front.

Wen Jiabao regarding the Japanese proposal as he is seeking to prevent the spread of harmful and unsubstantiated rumors regarding radioactive contamination, sources close to Japan-China relations said.The trilateral summit, which is slated to be held May 21 and 22 in Tokyo, will be the fourth of its kind since the inaugural trilateral leaders' meeting in Fukuoka Prefecture in 2008. The three countries have since taken turns as host.(Kyodo)

ibnlive.in.com...

Des

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

So you can just "close" a plant and not have to worry about all this cool down stuff? Ppppplease.....Somebody tell me their backup generators are on a hill, they have diesel fuel in reserve, somebody is going to watch the fuel level in said generator, coolant is on standby to circulate through the cooling system, we have a stopper for the intake (that does not involve baby diapers), and rubber boots at the ready.
edit on 13-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

I wouldn't be so sure about those generators...
Apparently, from this source that I posted earlier: Video
the problem with all the generators was that they weren't powerful enough !
(At around 3:10 into the video.)
I haven't seen this mentionned anywhere else, but we should keep that eventuality in mind.
That wouldn't surprise me of Tepco, having too small generators that cannot do the job.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Still arguing over money money money....Like that's going to make anything better. How about giving out that Red Cross donated 3+ billion dollars, not yen. Better yet, send those top TEPCO execs to work at pullium point.

TEPCO to make more cuts to board member pay:

Economy, Trade and Industry Minister Banri Kaieda said Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) -- operator of the crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant -- will comply with his request that board member pay be cut further.

"I asked them how much they would still get after the first cuts, and they told me it'd be about 36 million yen. That'd be unreasonably high, so I told them, 'Please slash more,'" Kaieda told a TV Asahi program on May 14.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

Des

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I am very worried about people in radiated areas trying to sell seaweed and fish as well as vegetables in Japan that are radiated. Japan has a terrible track record when it comes to protecting its citizens from bad food. Companies have repeatedly falsified expiration dates and have used expired ingredients in the past.

As far as the seismologists, nuclear energy managers and politicians, they are just incompetent. They don't have a clue what they are doing. They are also very lazy and really don't have any urgency or energy to help. All of them are completely worthless.

A lot of them are completely immoral, smoking on the street around little children, driving dangerously close to children, suicidal.

This is one of the very few complaints I have about Japan. People like that.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Not big, but not far away! 9 miles NE of Fukushima Diaichi.

Magnitude 4.6
Date-Time
* Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 15:01:44 UTC
* Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 12:01:44 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.535°N, 141.116°E
Depth 22.8 km (14.2 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 57 km (35 miles) NNE of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
63 km (39 miles) ESE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
67 km (41 miles) ENE of Koriyama, Honshu, Japan
238 km (147 miles) NNE of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 19.5 km (12.1 miles); depth +/- 8.8 km (5.5 miles)
Parameters NST= 49, Nph= 49, Dmin=281.6 km, Rmss=0.55 sec, Gp=101°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=5
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0003f1u
earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 14-5-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Death of Fukushima N-Plant Worker Attributed to Heart Disease - JIJI PRESS

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

You called it! I feel for every soul in there, I'm afraid they're all dead men.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Had to take a break from this to watch other things and think.

About a month or so ago I asked a queston few caught the significance of at the time, so I'll ask it again:

Where are the rest rooms in those buildings?

Is/was the sewage system independent of the local one?

I thought at the time and still think that it is connected to the local sewage plant/system, and at least some of the water they've been pouring in has been entering and spreading through the sewage system. They seriously need to send monitoring teams to check the sewage paths from the plant.

When you combine the effects of all the disasters we are currently experiencing in multiple parts of the globe, and the utter confusion and inadequacies that they are being met with, I can make the following projections with about a 60-100% certainty:

1. There will be severe food shortages and consequent high inflation of food prices; along with collapse of farmland values due to floods.

2. Most municipalities east of the Mississippi will be in a state of severe financial collapse and be forced to cut staff and services despite growing needs.

3. Transportation links in middle America will be severely compromised, exacerbating economic woes.

4. The severe weather won't stop, due to the 3X higher than normal incidence of fireballs entering the atmosphere, among other things.

5. There's a new bug emerging: there's been far too many incidences of what they've been calling "food poisoning" over too many areas effecting too many people...something just feels wrong about those reports to me. It could stem from the Gulf oil disaster.

6. The combined stresses of sustained extreme weather and sustained municipal neglect of critical infrastructure will result in multiple major municipal crises that will swiftly spiral out of control: at least four or five major US cities will be crippled by summer's end, most east of the Mississippi.

How this will play out is problematical: riots could erupt, but ultimately, riots are a sign of hope that things can and will get better...I think the national mood is going to be too grim for riots.

I keep remembering how one night I went to bed and the USSR was a mighty enemy that looked to last at least through my lifetime, and when I awoke it was just gone. I think the chances of the US of A suffering the same fate are quite high this year.

In any case, the old world we knew is gone and the new one emerging is going to be tougher to deal with.

I'm planting extra crops in my garden this year and laying in extra supplies of useful items where and when I can.

But I think now is the time to prepare yourselves intellectually and spiritually for what is immediately around the corner: tough times are coming from more directions than you think, than I think, because of unforseen interactions.

I've been watching a lot of stuff for a long time...things are accelerating towards the unpredictable and bad, the change is near upon us.

Good luck all, face the future with courage, ingenuity, and faith in yourself and you'll be ok, at least as ok as possible under whatever circumstances.
edit on 14-5-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 862  863  864    866  867  868 >>

join