It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 863.htm
<< 860  861  862    864  865  866 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarahko

Greetings Sarahko,

There is no such thing as a stupid question regarding this nightmare. I'm no expert, but have been following this event since the beginning. Much of the radiation from Fukushima Daiichi, has been blowing out to sea. Tokyo has been very fortunate so far in this regard.

Welcome to the thread, and forum. I'm sure someone with more knowledge, will very soon help answer your question. It is a very important question. I'm glad you asked it.

Des

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarahko

Really you have been lucky so far. The wind has been your friend. I would imagine if Tepco can control radioactive releases that they watch the wind currents and time the releases accordingly. The problems will come when the wind changes directions.

Curious is it still "bad form" to talk about the Fukushima nuclear issue in Japan? People I have talked with in the US seem to think it is over except for the mop up. When I tell them the reactor is in full meltdown right now they don't believe me and think I am an alarmist or a tree huggin lefty.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
reply to post by Sarahko

Really you have been lucky so far. The wind has been your friend. I would imagine if Tepco can control radioactive releases that they watch the wind currents and time the releases accordingly. The problems will come when the wind changes directions.

Curious is it still "bad form" to talk about the Fukushima nuclear issue in Japan? People I have talked with in the US seem to think it is over except for the mop up. When I tell them the reactor is in full meltdown right now they don't believe me and think I am an alarmist or a tree huggin lefty.

Hey, I am a tree huggin Lefty, and I am proud of it .....

Now I have read that some MSM are getting the sniff of what is happening now www.telegraph.co.uk... , but they still get it wrong. They say "Engineers from the Tokyo Electric Power company (Tepco) entered the No.1 reactor at the end of last week for the first time and saw the top five feet or so of the core's 13ft-long fuel rods had been exposed to the air and melted down. ", whereas TEPCO says the water is at least a meter UNDER the fuel rods, (or did I read their stuff wrong, too much on my mind, so it is difficult to know what is what)....

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Well the main English Language Tree Hugger left wing newspaper is the Guardian. They have been running stories on the Japanese disaster. The problem is that the stories are hidden away so are very difficult to find unless you specifically look for them.

Guardian Japan Disaster

They did run the meltdown story on the front page and the comments are interesting to read!

Guardian Meltdown

The real problem for the Tree Hugger Left wingers is that Nuclear Power was supposed to be the safe option to combat global warming. Now, as we all know, its not, but so many bought into nuclear power, including Governments, that to say its not safe now would damage project funding and political careers. So, NO MSM reporting!

Most people I have spoken to don't know what Fukushima is and when I remind them they think its been fixed.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Hi folks again, here is the latest....

Initial findings from the Rainbow Warrior radiation sampling team working off the coast of Japan are in and the news is not good. The results showed levels of contamination far beyond allowed limits for seaweed.

www.greenpeace.org...

Keep up the pressure.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
live cam , looks like a muggy day at radiation beach , bring the sunblock 2000...

Also I saw two cranes: one at four doing more recon under where the dryer pool is/was and one definitely between three and four with the arm extending over the turbine building...with that much extension on the crane boom arm I doubt they could lift much ( a crane like that probably maxes out at 200ft as the crow flies from the crane to the target object) so I wonder if they are doing recon inside the turbine roof holes???

edit on 13-5-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Happy friday the 13th.
Your guess is as good as mine, hopefully they are looking for the leaks too.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I believe I saw an earthquake on the webcam just 5 minutes ago.

The movement was must greater in magnitude than the windiest pictures I've seen and accompanied by a deep sound of cracking rock, a sound I've only heard before during an earthquake.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Wow - that's an amazing observation you just made!!!

There just was a pretty strong one, and I think you witnessed it live:

Magnitude 6.2
Date-Time

Friday, May 13, 2011 at 23:35:53 UTC
Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 08:35:53 AM at epicenter

Location 37.383°N, 141.405°E
Depth 37.6 km (23.4 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 13-5-2011 by PhysicsAlive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
I believe I saw an earthquake on the webcam just 5 minutes ago.

The movement was must greater in magnitude than the windiest pictures I've seen and accompanied by a deep sound of cracking rock, a sound I've only heard before during an earthquake.

M 6.2 very close 21 miles due E to Fukushima Diiachi...about 12 mins ago Both cranes no longer showing in feed...was watching live feed, was quite a shake up. But, we don't have to worry about water sloshing out now...do we.

news.tbs.co.jp...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
On WC now...large white object (huge crane?) jutting out of field in front, off to right of R2, and several aircraft flying around facility, can see lights on aircraft, also another smaller EQ than last one.

news.tbs.co.jp...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj

Happy friday the 13th.
Your guess is as good as mine, hopefully they are looking for the leaks too.

Thanks, every day I am still breathing is a good one , oddly this is my "luck" day , always has been so no trixadexaphobia here , but I was just watching the link from Wertwog's post and am getting more than a little sick of the use of the word "stable".

From a post a couple of forums over :

Definition of STABLE
1 a : firmly established : fixed, steadfast table opinions> b : not changing or fluctuating : unvarying n stable condition> c : permanent, enduring table civilizations>

O.K. , sure Tepco has regardless of the Facts remained fixed , and steadfast....

2 a : steady in purpose : firm in resolution b : not subject to insecurity or emotional illness : sane, rational stable personality>

Well...they have remained 'firm'(snicker), but I am not so sure they qualify for 'not (being) subject to insecurity or emotional illness'

3 a (1) : placed so as to resist forces tending to cause motion or change of motion (2) : designed so as to develop forces that restore the original condition when disturbed from a condition of equilibrium or steady motion b (1) : not readily altering in chemical makeup or physical state table emulsions> (2) : not spontaneously radioactive

Yes they certainly are resistant , but oops ....stable means 'not readily altering in chemical make-up or physical state'...ooohhh, and stable also means 'not spontaneously radioactive' (sucking in wind) ooooh , yeah, um NO.

Sorry Tepco BY DEFINITION this situation has never been stable , ever, not for one second as I am pretty sure there has not been one single second where at least several tons of something at that plant was exposed to the environment in some way and definitely spontaneously radioactive the whole time ...

perhaps you, Tepco, should choose a new word , like " constant (ly mismanaged)" or " controlled (meltdown)" or "handled ( by interim day laborers who will die horribly in obscurity)" or " progressing ( towards public funding through government bail-out because even as mass murderers we're 'too big to fail"

edit on 13-5-2011 by Silverlok because: n not equal to ry

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
On WC now...large white object (huge crane?) jutting out of field in front, off to right of R2, and several aircraft flying around facility, can see lights on aircraft, also another smaller EQ than last one.

news.tbs.co.jp...

What type of aircraft Des ?

and we may be seeing some more 'hot' cleanup , pretty far from the plant for ejecta ( the aircraft may be using thermal to locate the steamy object from yesterday )

(edit) you know there is a pretty good inland breeze I wonder if they are doing air and ground level radiation tests with that crane?
edit on 13-5-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Fukushima gov't may have failed to notify 4 towns of nuclear accident
TOKYO, May 13, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/05/90974.html partially accessible

/cR5Uy3G2 fulltext news, might be on Mainichi later

What a mess. Does this mean that the claim that Fukushima isn't as bad a Chernobyl because Japan evacuated the local population "in the crucial hours" are possibly incorrect?

I know they had a lot to cope with ...but... if they insist on building nuclear reactors in areas prone to large quakes, they should have a evacuation plan that can cope with both damaged infrastructure and a damaged reactor.

Two of the four towns -- Naraha, where part of the Daini plant is located, and Hirono -- concluded on their own based on TV news and other information that it was necessary to evacuate residents

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

From TEPCO Presser on May 12 Part 3: "Probably the Same Situation in Reactors 2 and 3"

The water gauges for the Reactors 2 and 3 are not to be trusted, said TEPCO's Matsumoto in the press conference on May 12 (I watched the live-recorded video) when the company officially acknowledged the meltdown of the Reactor 1.

If the water gauges for the Reactors 2 and 3 have been overstating the water levels, just like in the Reactor 1, it is very likely that all three reactors have hardly any water inside the Reactor Pressure Vessels (RPV), and the reactor cores are likely to have been melted.

Meltdown at 1, 2 and 3.

4 spent fuel pools to deal with.

No credible solutions to fix the problem.

Well done ATS for predicting this two months ago.

Let's hope for the people of Japan that TEPCO can start proving us wrong.

EX-SFK Blog

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

agreed , except it's 6 spent fuel pools and 6 'dryer' pools that may or may not have stuff in them

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Silver, saw two small AC, maybe helicopters, through the fog, low elevation, slow speed. Circled approx 8 times around R1 through R4. Movements more in line with small AC. I thought maybe checking facility after 6.2 EQ. Could be doing air testing...What a novel concept...TEPCO taking air readings.

Des

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

Japan Today has that news now :

www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/fukushima-govt-may-have-failed-to-notify-4-towns-of-nuclear-accident

and the fulltext of Jiji article with 3 lines missing from public display

Tokyo Electric Rules Out Future Criticality at No. 1 Reactor (2011/05/14-00:09)

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011051400003

/WNi6qg5R

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
I just recieved this in my e-mail on breaking news from CNN

-- "We are assuming that a meltdown has occurred" at a quake-damaged nuclear reactor, Japan's chief Cabinet secretary says.

I thought it was old news already,,,??????

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
[more
Did you watch Arnie Gunderson's latest update from today? What a description he had for the
the Blow in # 3...Was that Fubarium (?) in the video of reactor # 4 ? not sure of the date of that video
...right now they're all producing quite a bit of steam.

Thanks for ALL of your work & explanations Good on You!...CRAYOLA gotta love them!

Ektar
edit on 13-5-2011 by Ektar because: wrong term...

new topics

top topics

<< 860  861  862    864  865  866 >>

join