It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 861.htm
<< 858  859  860    862  863  864 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

TEPCO admits meltdown NHK

From live feed, reactors billowing smoke

edit on 12-5-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
OK. well... they are not smoking right now.
news.tbs.co.jp...

and the 'rumbling' sound she talks about in the 2nd video is the wind, I keep the JNN site up all day and hear that sound constantly.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Yes, I know that was recorded from earlier in the day. I just thought folks might like to see a video recording of what had been talked about. The rumbling sound is just wind passing over the microphone. No biggie.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
so now why might we have a "several centimeter leak"

well when you build the ass end of your reactor full of holes,

it would seem like DESIGN FLAW( but I am sure SOMEONE in 1972 would have noticed this right ? )

Now people are talking about #4 building falling down ...it if does Tepco knocked it down to cover up what happened there ( they have for a while been in evidence destruction mode ) , take this picture for instance :

These pool placements and sizes are based on tepco's own size estimates and the permit drawing for the site .

the green pool is the SFP the yellow bit is the cap (where it would be in normal op) the blue is the (almost not mentioned ) "dryer" pool which is very shallow . now why did the ministry of defense stop putting out thermal images? was it perhaps because the thermals show beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was heat on the "dryer" pool side , now why would that be? after weeks ? especially if the #4 pool is "perfectly intact"

personally I am not seeing degeneration at 4, but I highly suspect that the leak has grown to where it has undermined the ability to continue to match flow rates (they can't pump as fast as it's leaking) and are still on the no boom no doom rhetoric

now the explosion at four ( that TEPCO HAD BETTER THE HELL START TALKING ABOUT ) was interesting in that it had a massive inertial moment , but oddly in a horizontal component , which implies the building almost down to the ground was filled with hydrogen . this would not have significantly effected structural members like the explosion at three
and

let's assume that the building has the same orientation as 4( I have been assuming the opposite ):

then as Arnie said: initiating factor : pool blowing ( green ) , by some miracle of the weird that is the world is survives somewhat, but it starts to lift the roof off , and starts the secondary process we see in the video footage; which is the rpv /cv popping the timing of the 'pops' in the video would be about right for striking a roof in flight ( big white spot high point CV cap , small white spot second ( as the roof started to come back down ) rpv cap if you lift the roof image to the corresponding spots it plots a trajectory right into the holes in the turbine roof

in this scenario anything in the dryer pool at #3 is airborn or basement bound

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Anyone else notice the crane in the forest in the live feed? What can that be doing?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Worldwatch Institute claims end for Nuke Power even before Fukushima

New Worldwatch Institute Report, Timed in Conjunction with Chernobyl Anniversary, Shows Nuclear Industry Was in Decline Even Before Fukushima Washington, D.C.—Even before the disaster in Fukushima, the world’s nuclear industry was in clear decline, according to a new report from the Worldwatch Institute. The report, which Worldwatch commissioned months before the Fukushima crisis began, paints a bleak picture of an aging industry unable to keep pace with its renewable energy competitors.

To download a free copy of this report, click here.

“The industry was arguably on life support before Fukushima. When the history of the nuclear industry is written, Fukushima is likely to begin its final chapter,” said Mycle Schneider, lead author of the new report, The World Nuclear Industry Status Report 2010-2011: Nuclear Power in a Post-Fukushima World, and an international consultant on energy and nuclear policy.

Some of the report’s key findings include:

• Annual renewable capacity additions have been outpacing nuclear start-ups for 15 years. In the United States, the share of renewables in new capacity additions skyrocketed from 2 percent in 2004 to 55 percent in 2009, with no new nuclear capacity added.
  • In 2010, for the first time, worldwide cumulative installed capacity from wind turbines, biomass, waste-to-energy, and solar power surpassed installed nuclear capacity. Meanwhile, total investment in renewable energy technologies was estimated at $243 billion in 2010.
  • As of April 1, 2011, there were 437 nuclear reactors operating in the world, seven fewer than in 2002. In 2008, for the first time since the beginning of the nuclear age, no new unit was started up. Seven new reactors were added in 2009 and 2010, while 11 were shut down during this period.
  • In 2009, nuclear power plants generated 2,558 Terawatt-hours of electricity, about 2 percent less than the previous year. The industry’s lobby organization headlined “another drop in nuclear generation”—the fourth year in a row.

Despite predictions in the United States and elsewhere of a nuclear “renaissance,” the report concludes that the role of nuclear power was in steady decline even before the Fukushima crisis. The disaster will make the construction of new nuclear plants and extensions to the lifetime of current plants even more unrealistic.

“U.S. news headlines often suggest that a nuclear renaissance is under way,” said Worldwatch President Christopher Flavin. “This was a big overstatement even before March 11, and the disaster in Japan will inevitably cause governments and companies that were considering new nuclear units to reassess their plans. The Three Mile Island accident caused a wholesale reassessment of nuclear safety regulations, massively increased the cost of nuclear power, and put an end to nuclear construction in the United States. For the global nuclear industry, the Fukushima disaster is an historic—if not fatal—setback.”

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
You gotta love the NRC...
maybe not!

Problems cited with nuclear backup power
Report comes as panel deems US sites safe

Nuclear plant emergency generators like those that failed in Japan following the March earthquake and tsunami also failed during tests at the Seabrook Station in New Hampshire and 32 other US plants in the past eight years, according to a report by US Representative Edward J. Markey’s office.

“An examination of NRC regulations demonstrates that flawed assumptions and under-estimation of safety risks are currently an inherent part of the NRC regulatory program, due to a long history of decisions made by prior Commissions or by the NRC staff that have all too often acquiesced to industry requests for a weakening of safety standards,’’ the report said.

www.boston.com...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
It happened my friends, again as it was mentioned before on these very pages.
The core has melted, I am of the opinion that at least 2 more are undergoing bizarre transmutations.
Radiation is here, whether we like it or not, our young ones might never have what we had, the very real possibility of total decay in every aspect of our "modern" society is clutching our timespace tighter by the minute.

I know many of you are ready, and that many are still doubtful that tomorrow wont be the same as it was today, we will prevail of course, we shall learn from our mistakes, in the end what got us was that arrogant nonstrategic stance of getting burnt before we listened to our elders.

Time will ultimately tell, but plant life in the northern hemisphere, without even mentioning the water pollution will have an impact on foodstuffs and the quality produced, much of what we have now will be the best and last we might ever have.
We can turn this mess around, and in the way unite as a species, one can only dream, the facts are there and plain for all to see, we can only blame ourselves by letting ourselves get caught, by caring so little for our future or the future of people dear to us who have yet to understand.

Either we make it or we wont, it is as easy as that, everyone can chip in either way, its time to choose other alternatives.
How you say?
Well, the world wont change but we can, we can choose life and knowledge now, in every aspect of our man made impact, in our monetary and resource gathering ways, the price is high of course, it will cost us all we have to even dare to change into doing things differently, still it is costing all we have, our very lives.

Cheer up people, there is much to do , so lets do it! now or never!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I am really confused looking at the live webcam and then the latest hourly still shot. They couldn't be more different? Sorry, can't pick up the links.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds has posted an update now, May 13th. I was beginning to be a little worried that maybe he had been pressured to shut up with no update since the 6th, so it's very good to see he's still coming out and calling it at it is.

vimeo.com...

(Why no vid:vimeo button?)

Bit of a "told you so" tone in places, and rightly so.

He covers the major events of this week, from TEPCO's belated admission of meltdown, through the "smoke" that has been showing up on the webcam.

He gives a good rundown on the obvious problems with the water volumes going into the reactors, and obvious scale of the leaks, and the fact that there is still activity generating iodine at the very least.

EDIT : Gah. Beaten while I was writing. Nice work whoswho69!
edit on 13-5-2011 by whatisanameanyway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Whilst attention has been on the steam at Fukushima, radioactive smoke has been silently polluting the air nearby:

TOKYO, May 13 (AP) - (Kyodo)

A highly radioactive substance was detected in incinerator ashes at a sewage plant in eastern Tokyo in late March, shortly after the start of the nuclear crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station, metropolitan government sources said Friday.

The radioactive density of the substance reached 170,000 becquerels per kilogram, the sources said.

The ashes, which have already been recycled as construction materials, including cement, were collected from a sludge plant in Koto Ward.

It looks like quite a few sewage plants have confirmed the burning of contaminated materials:

Almost at the same time in late March, a radioactive substance of 100,000-140,000 becquerels per kg was also detected in ashes at two other sewage plants in Ota and Itabashi wards, the sources said.

...Meanwhile, the municipal government of Maebashi, Gunma Prefecture, said Friday it has detected radioactive cesium of 41,000 becquerels per kg from incinerator ashes collected Monday

I wonder if any of those Chernobyl comparisons took into consideration the potential spread of radiation via incinerator smoke and building materials?

Kyodo artical via Breitbart

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Yes, you are spot on, as usual Silver

I've been following the readings on that site...But, one thing I notice, that is different these last 20, or so, readings, is they are being posted by TEPCO, instead of METII. As you remember, about 3 weeks ago, The Gov't of Japan, consolidated all info re: Fukushima Daiichi, was to go through only METII. The reasoning being, that it was scaring folks getting quotes about what was REALLY going on, from too many varied sources. ie, mixed messages.

But, of course WE knew, it was to further tighten the noose on WHAT INFO was being released. So, this brings me around to this question. Is this now an indication that the gov't is attempting to back away from TEPCO, because the cat is out of the bag? ...hhhmmmmmm...

Thanks again Silver...you are truly a breath of fresh air, at a time I find it hard to even breath.

Des

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatisanameanyway
Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds has posted an update now, May 13th. I was beginning to be a little worried that maybe he had been pressured to shut up with no update since the 6th, so it's very good to see he's still coming out and calling it at it is.

vimeo.com...

(Why no vid:vimeo button?)

Bit of a "told you so" tone in places, and rightly so.

He covers the major events of this week, from TEPCO's belated admission of meltdown, through the "smoke" that has been showing up on the webcam.

He gives a good rundown on the obvious problems with the water volumes going into the reactors, and obvious scale of the leaks, and the fact that there is still activity generating iodine at the very least.

EDIT : Gah. Beaten while I was writing. Nice work whoswho69!
edit on 13-5-2011 by whatisanameanyway because: (no reason given)

Now the IAEA has to get off their collective butts. Just posted last night on the IAEA site after nothing since May 5.

IAEA status updates on the Fukushima accident will be posted on the public website on a weekly basis. The IAEA continues to monitor the situation in and around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant around the clock and is in close contact with Japanese authorities on stabilisation measures. As we have reported, overall the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant remains very serious.

www.iaea.org...

It's now day eight, we're waiting....

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I have already sent info to every news source I could...asking why this is being downplayed...

nuclear-news nuclear-news.net...

latest news on the uranium/nuclear industry

Yes, Fukushima nuclear plant DID have a full nuclear meltdown

It’s Official: Fukushima Hit With Full-Blown Nuclear Meltdown Gizmodo Australia, By Sam Biddle on May 13, 2011 The flow of bad news (and radiation) out of Fukushima’s reactors has diminished to a trickle over the past several weeks, as rescue work has proceeded. Not today. TEPCO’s admitted for the first time that Fukushima experienced a full meltdown.

The possibility of a meltdown has been floating in the air since the earthquake and subsequent explosions first rocked the roof off of Fukushima, spreading radiation, confusion and displacement across the local populace (and beyond). Since then, TEPCO workers and the Japanese government have desperately struggled to keep the nuclear fuel rods inside the reactors cool – if they don’t, the scorching material will melt into a pool of radioactive lava. That’s the scenario everyone’s been aiming to avoid – and that’s the scenario we now know had actually occurred all along. Underneath all that dumped seawater has been lying a blob of melted fuel. And it could be

This admittance goes against every assurance TEPCO has handed the world in the midst of Japan’s nuclear crisis – that the situation was bad, but that with emergency work, the plant would be mostly stable, and could be safely shutdown within the year. The worry now, beyond the fact that the damage to the reactor is far worse than imagined, is that a hole in the facility will lead incredibly contaminated water leak out like a faucet. A scalding, radioactive faucet.

So now what? “We will have to revise our plans,” Junichi Matsumoto, a TEPCO rep, told The Guardian. To say the least. [The Guardian and Kyodo News]

It’s Official: Fukushima Hit With Full-Blown Nuclear Meltdown | Gizmodo Australia

Des

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Say what...

He cautioned that dangers remain. Conditions could get worse, he said, if the continued addition of water creates conditions more conducive to a nuclear reaction.

At the Nuclear Regulatory Commission in Washington, R. William Borchardt, the top staff official, briefed the five members of the commission on Thursday morning about the new disclosures, but did not describe them as major developments. Over all, he described the status of the Fukushima complex as “not exactly stable, but you might say that they’re static.”

Hiroko Tabuchi reported from Tokyo, and Matthew L. Wald from Washington.
www.nytimes.com...

Des

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Standard & Poor's downgrades Japan's TEPCO

Updated: 15:10, Friday, 13 May 2011

www.rte.ie/news/2011/0513/japan-business.html

Standard & Poor's today downgraded its credit rating for TEPCO, the operator of Japan's stricken Fukushima nuclear plant, saying the firm's profitability would be under pressure for some time.

The agency downgraded Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s long-term rating to 'BBB' from 'BBB+' while maintaining the short-term rating at 'A-2'.

'In our view, TEPCO's stand-alone credit profile has significantly weakened since our last rating action on April 1, 2011, and remains under significant downward pressure,' the ratings agency said in a statement.

(...)

---

By Agence France-Presse, Updated: 5/13/2011
Japan hints banks may have to waive some TEPCO debt

news.ph.msn.com/business/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4839570

Japan on Friday suggested for the first time that banks may have to waive some pre-quake loan terms to the operator of the Fukushima nuclear plant before it gets public help to pay compensation.

Banking shares tumbled on comments from Yukio Edano about Tokyo Electric Power's fate -- in particular, that the public would not accept government financial support for TEPCO unless banks waive some pre-quake loan terms.

"I don't think the Japanese public would possibly show support" for an injection of public funds into Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) without a debt waiver of pre-disaster bank loans, said Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano, the top government spokesman.

"Loans after the quake are a different story," Edano added.

The remark came as the Japanese government announced a rescue plan Friday to keep TEPCO solvent and help it foot the bill for the Fukushima disaster.

(...)

edit on 13-5-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ..... I would have rated TEPCO as ZZZ- .... and that applies to all other electricity companies using nuclear fission as well.

I am still shocked by the fact that I was a pro-nuke in my youth, and believed all sorts government propaganda. I guess with age comes some wisdom after all.

edit on 13/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: removed words too harsh for public consumption

edit on 13/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

TEPCO should consider digging a trench around reactors 1-3 all the way down to the bedrock, which is about 50 feet below the surface, said Arnie Gundersen

They have been considering something like this Arnie. This is "old news" from 24th april:

The government is considering building an underground barrier near the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant to prevent radioactive material from spreading far from the plant via soil and groundwater, a senior government official said.

Sumio Mabuchi, a special adviser to the prime minister, revealed the plan Friday at the Japan National Press Club building in Tokyo. The plan is the first attempt to address the risk of contaminated water spreading far from the plant through soil.

According to Mabuchi, the barrier would extend so far underground that it would reach a layer that does not absorb water. The wall would entirely surround the land on which reactors No. 1, 2, 3 and 4 stand.

Mabuchi is a member of the unified command headquarters set up by the government and Tokyo Electric Power Co. to deal with the nuclear crisis. He serves as the head of government representatives on a team dealing with medium- and long-term issues, including how to contain the spread of radioactive materials from the plant.

I suspect (and hope) that TEPCO have been aware of the realities of the current situation for a lot longer than they have let on, and have hopefully been working on more realistic solutions behind the scenes.

Still, the idea of building such a deep trench seems like a massive undertaking.

Reuters

Daily Yomiuri

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

but that doesn't solve the problem if the groundrock is fractured.... they need to tunnel under the system too, and have an impenetrable concrete barrier that is earthquake, and heat-resistant under the whole plant too

edit on 13/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 858  859  860    862  863  864 >>

join