It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 852.htm
<< 849  850  851    853  854  855 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It never ends, does it...

M 5.6, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 01:20:07 UTC
Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:20:07 AM at epicenter

Depth: 25.10 km (15.60 mi)

Posted on 11 May 2011 | 1:20 am

Des

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Kind person manning the web cam we are watching. Could you please get a close tight shot of Reactor # 4, as clear, in focus, as you can. We would really appreciate it. Thank You.

WC, on full screen mode, R4 looks like a house of cards about to tumble down...
news.tbs.co.jp...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I think the web cam operator thinks they are making an action movie. I've been watching on and off for the past two hours and the camera gymnastics are making me seasick!

edit on 10-5-2011 by Maluhia because: clarification

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

WC, on full screen mode, R4 looks like a house of cards about to tumble down...
news.tbs.co.jp...]

It certainly looks like it's leaning over, doesn't it?

A few more earthquakes and a typhoon or two, and the house of cards will likely come tumbling down.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

hi des,
pending a clearer close-up of #4, i have this screenshot of a close-up, taken just a couple of hours after all that black stuff at the weekend... might not be that much better than taking a current screenshot, & enlarging it, i dunno... hope it helps you, anyway

edit on 11-5-2011 by pattonisit because: shpeelink

eta -
sorry, got it mixed up.. i have it timed & dated as 11-05pm, 8th may (uk time) so it must have been the day after the black smoke/steam event
edit on 11-5-2011 by pattonisit because: i stink of garlic

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

edit on 11-5-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I've known this since the beginning. I could do the math, that many reactors, explosion with 600 000 spent fuel rods, and those arent like a meltdown even, those have the isotopes and components of bombs. This is like hundreds of nukes. I read quite a few times over the past few years that it would only take 8 nukes to destroy the northern hemisphere. So this is horrific and its not an accident. This, on top BP, and the two accidents or deliberate release of products in Great Lakes and Mississippi river is major.

www.veteranstoday.com...

(San Francisco) – Radioactive contamination equivalent to the Fukushima, Japan disaster in terms of the hated “Mushroom Cloud” Atomic Bombs is two thousand (2,000) 500 Kiloton Atomic Bombs.* Each 500kt Atomic Bomb is 33 times bigger than the American Bomb that destroyed Hiroshima on August 6, 1945.

edit on 11-5-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal

What are the numbers of the reactors on the live camera shot, when you see the three buildings, from left to right?

Left to right, one to four.

It's not surprising you're only seeing 3 buildings.
Reactor Three, since it exploded, is a disintegrating tangle of metal at the base of the tower just right of centre.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by arthur2012

Don't worry, I don't think the Japanese will be moving out of Japan any time soon.

By the way, if you had a disaster in your country and needed to evacuate, would you appreciate it if another country let you stay? Or would you be happy if people told you they didn't want you in "their" country, and you must stay in your disaster zone and suffer the consequences?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I read quite a few times over the past few years that it would only take 8 nukes to destroy the northern hemisphere.

The good ol USA tested about 1,000 in New Mexico so I wouldn't worry about that.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
TEPCO announces that Unit 3 is possibly leaking via the canal:

Press Release (May 11,2011)

Possible leakage of water including radioactive materials to the outside from around the intake canal of Unit 3 of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station

At around 12:30pm, May 11, 2011, employees who had been conducting vertical shaft obstruction work, confirmed water flowing into the pit* via power cable pipe lines.

Currently, together with investigating the possible leakage of water including radioactive materials to the outside of the boundary, we have taken samples of the water in the pit and the seawater in the intake canal of Unit 3, and analyses are underway at Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station.

Instructions from NISA:

In addition, we have been orally instructed by the Nuclear and Industrial
Safety Agent (NISA) as follows: -
To confirm an impact to the ocean -
To immediately conduct water stoppage measures -
To immediately identify the route of the inflow/outflow and the situation
and report to NISA

TEPCO Press Release

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
High levels of cesium has been detected in the soil in towns near Fukushima - some have yet to be evacuated:

The levels of radiation accumulated in soil near the crippled nuclear power plant in northeastern Japan far exceeded the level of radiation the then-Soviet Union had used as a criterion for urging people to evacuate at the time of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster, threatening to plague local residents for a lengthy period.

Using aircraft, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology checked the cesium-137 (half life of about 30 years) and cesium-134 (half life of about two years) accumulated in soil in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Energy in April.

Cesium-137 that has longer effects, ranging from 3 million to 14.7 million becquerels per square meter, was detected in Namie, Futaba, Minamisoma, Iitate and Katsurao, northwest of the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, in Fukushima Prefecture. The levels far exceeded 550,000 bacquerels per square meter, the level the then-Soviet Union had used as a criterion for urging people to evacuate at the time of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

...there are areas that have not been designated as evacuation zones although they have larger amounts of accumulated radiation.

The Ministry says:

"Radioactive substances in soil do not enter human bodies immediately."

Hiromi Yamazawa, professor of environmental radiology at Nagoya University, says:

"The problem with soil contamination is external exposure through gamma rays emitted from cesium adhered to soil."

The solution?

...replacing soil with non-contaminated soil is an effective way of reducing the concentration of radiation.

If radiation is in the soil, surely it on buildings, in trees and plants, in the water, everywhere really? I guess burying a large part of Japan in mud is a "possible" solution - but it's not a good one.

(Mainichi Japan) May 11, 2011

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
No good news today! Radioactive containers found in Europe:

Radioactive Containers Likely Left Japan Before Checks Began

I thought they had started earlier but apparently not. Hmmm..

Japanese authorities officially began scanning cargo boxes for radiation on April 28

Dutch officials said yesterday they quarantined the containers after screening in Rotterdam, Europe’s busiest container port, showed contamination beyond permissible levels.

“Japanese cargo owners have been screening containers before shipping them, so contamination should be rare,” said Hatsuho Tanaka, general affairs chief at the Japan Shipowners’ Association. “It’s possible that containers could get some contamination from the air or rain at sea.”

I can appreciate the Japanese screening the containers but they must screen them at the receiving end also. The Japanese are under huge pressure right now and I can imagine it may be easy for the odd contaminated container to "slip" through the checks.

"it’s too early to comment on the significance of the Dutch discovery"

Japan handled about 4 percent of the world’s containers prior to the disaster and almost 20 percent of the global fleet by box capacity was timetabled to call there, Clarkson Plc, the world’s biggest shipbroker, has said.

May 11, 2011, Business Week

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

Latest image from TEPCO on the leak into pit:

The situation of inflow to the pit near intake canal of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 3.

TEPCO photos for press page

Roadblocks and detours ahead on the Roadmap

A high level of radiation -- 600 to 700 millisieverts per hour -- was detected in some part of the reactor building on May 9. That could force a review of the work schedule.

At the No. 2 reactor, water contaminated with high levels of radiation gathering in the basement of the turbine building is standing in the way of restoration efforts. Efforts have been made to remove the contaminated water, but the water level has not dropped sufficiently.

At the No. 3 reactor that sustained the heaviest damage, the temperature in the pressure vessel was rising. Although more water was injected into the vessel, the temperature has not dropped sufficiently.

The reactor building of the No. 4 reactor was destroyed by explosions. TEPCO is to set up a structure to support the pool from underneath to keep it sound.

TEPCO also raises the medical needs for workers. This is the first mention of medical treatment for workers I have read from them.

Shojiro Matsuura, former head of the Nuclear Safety Commission, said at the Japan National Press Club that workers wearing airtight protective gear could come down with heat stroke in summer. He suggested that it was an urgent task to improve the work environment and set up a well-developed medical care system for emergency workers.

Story source

I'd also be interested in hearing from JustMike on this latest story:

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko visited Fukushima Prefecture on Wednesday to give their support to evacuees who have been forced to flee their homes due to the catastrophic March 11 earthquake, tsunami and subsequent nuclear crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant.

After arriving at Fukushima airport from Tokyo's Haneda airport on a Self-Defense Forces aircraft, the imperial couple handed condolence money for disaster victims from their private coffers to Fukushima Gov. Yuhei Sato through Shingo Haketa, the grand steward of the Imperial Household Agency.

The couple were briefed on the current situation in the prefecture by Sato.

Their visit to Fukushima, where over 2,000 people have died or are still missing due to the tsunami, is the couple's fifth to a prefecture hit by the disaster following Chiba, Ibaraki, Miyagi and Iwate.

Later in the day, they will take a helicopter to visit an evacuation center at a gymnasium in the city of Fukushima, where residents from Minamisoma are taking shelter, and also a shelter in Soma, where over 400 people have been killed or are still unaccounted for.

The royal couple will also thank members of the SDF, police and firefighters working to retrieve bodies of the victims in the quake-hit areas and will visit sites hit by the tsunami.

Source

As the nuclear debate and disaster rage on, would the royal couple have influence into these decisions for Japan's future? It's good to see that they went into the Fukushima area.
edit on 11-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Latest track on Tropical Storm Aere

This latest track shows higher winds as it nears the Fukushima area, than the previous track. Not good at all for buildings barely standing or for the already flooding leaks going on at this plant.

Source

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I thought you may be interested in these graphs I produced. As we all know, these regions of Japan have taken a terrible earthquake battering and this graph shows it pictorially. This often brings it home more effectively than just numbers on a page. I hope I have done this right, but I am not guaranteeing it is 100% accurate...If you want the details send me a PM and I can send you the data.

According to USGS data, in these Japanese "regions" there have been approx 1190 earthquakes of M4.5 or above over the last 85 days or so. Some days did not have any above M4.5 but you can see that there have not been many days without some fairly largish quakes.

Chart 1
On The Splatter Timeline Chart, each spot represents one or more earthquakes at that magnitude on that day and the USGS regions covered are shown at the top. The March 11th M9 earthquake is in amongst the text at the top! The chart covers more than one adjacent USGS region.

Chart 2
The bottom entry of the table at this page takes you to a map with layers covering up to the last 60 days of individual earthquakes for one USGS Japan region only.
When the map loads, click on white cross in the blue tab on right hand side to select the layers.

Chart 3
The daily count of earthquakes chart is interesting as it shows the relative calm before the 'storm' which has continued until today. One USGS region only.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

If radiation is in the soil, surely it on buildings, in trees and plants, in the water, everywhere really? I guess burying a large part of Japan in mud is a "possible" solution - but it's not a good one.
Yeah.
Especially if you figure in all those people that are 'contaminated', they are not going to like being buried in mud one bit.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by Unity_99
I read quite a few times over the past few years that it would only take 8 nukes to destroy the northern hemisphere.

The good ol USA tested about 1,000 in New Mexico so I wouldn't worry about that.
Maybe cobalt bombs would do that trick?
Cobalt salted bombs

The guy that came up with the idea didn't really want a doomsday device made...

The idea of the cobalt bomb originated with Leo Szilard who publicized it in Feb. 1950, not as a serious proposal for weapon, but to point out that it would soon be possible in principle to build a weapon that could kill everybody on earth

Source

new topics

top topics

<< 849  850  851    853  854  855 >>

join