It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 85.htm
<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I am not sure about that one...unless that one came in AFTER the press briefing....status of 4 in briefing was just fire..of fuel rods

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

You are close... the fuel rods will begin (have begun?) operating at well above 100% specs. Normally some part of the control rods are engaged at all times.

We have meltdown, and the fire in #4 is irrelevant at this point. It probably won't be long before all are on fire from the heat produced by the runaway reaction.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

its definitely from after the conference, although other sites are saying the fire at 4 is out.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
New explosion at reactor 4!!!!!!!!

BREAKING NEWS: Hydrogen explosion occurs at Fukushima No. 4 reactor (11:53)

BREAKING NEWS: Fire at No.4 reactor apparently put out: Tokyo Electric (12:04)

FLASH - French embassy in Tokyo says weak radioactive contamination could reach Tokyo in 10 hrs from stricken nuclear plant

edit on 14-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Think the thick concrete floor will hold Redneck, or is it just a matter of time before it ends up in the water tables?

Thanks for your input.

link   
BREAKING NEWS: Hydrogen explosion occurs at Fukushima No. 4 reactor (11.53)

then they say 9 minutes later it has apparently been put out

english.kyodonews.jp...

link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I thought reactor 4 was deactivated before all this started?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

ok I stand corrected..was on fire all day...then exploded..now fire is out...I see the reports now....
something stinks in these reports

Btw you were right about the explosion then
edit on 14-3-2011 by okiecowboy because: edit

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

So I did a lot of reading to try and understand how these things (and safety features) work. So apparantly they must not have been able to vent off enough pressure so that it ruptured (like chernobyl)....but there are still two more containment units after that, before there is exposure to the outside, correct? Even if it goes into full melt-down, won't it be contained unless one of the other two containment domes/container are damaged?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
WOW NHK live feed broke away from live feed of press conference coverage cause the TEPCO rep couldn't answer a difficult question!!!

I wasn't following this press conference. However I can tell you this is not the first time they do that!
On sunday Masashi Goto, a former engineer at fukushima, was at the press conference and the bbc reported that he made some strong remarks regarding the fact that authorities were not being truthful....strangely enough that press conference was also abrubtely interrupted in a strange way....

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

If there's a meltdown (which it's pretty much presumed there is one underway, or will be shortly), then radioactive Cesium and Iodine isotopes will be released in the vapor, uncontrollably. This is a product of the uranium fission (correct me if I'm wrong please, RedNeck), and when the reactor goes critical because of the meltdown, there's gonna be a large quantity of these materials being produced. They will escape in the vapor being released through the cracks.

The uranium itself will probably not disperse, unless there is some sort of explosion propelling it outwards.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

It is supposed to... but if it were me, I wouldn't bet on it.

Looks like we are about to have a field test.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

It's been 5 days, Katrina anyone?

Japanese Government formally asks for assistance WITH REACTOR EVENTS

U.S. GOVERNMENT AND NRC PREPARING RESPONSE

The Japanese government has formally asked for assistance from the United States as it continues to respond to nuclear power plant cooling issues triggered by an earthquake and tsunami on March 11. As part of a larger U.S. government response, the NRC is considering possible replies to the request, which includes providing technical advice.
Included in a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) team dispatched earlier to Japan to assist with the disaster are two boiling-water reactor (BWR) experts from the NRC. They are currently in Tokyo offering technical assistance. USAID is the federal government agency primarily responsible for providing help to countries recovering from a disaster.
The NRC has been monitoring the Japanese reactor events via its Headquarters Operations Center in Rockville, Md., on a 24-hour-a-day basis.
The NRC will not comment on hour-to-hour developments at the Japanese reactors this is an ongoing crisis for the Japansese who have primary responsibility.

This is a world event or much further spread than it being a localized responsibility of the Japanese government and its people especially in the aftermath of the total devastation and untold loss of life, livestock, food, fishing.

edit on 14-3-2011 by antar because: ""

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Nuclear power plant accidents: listed and ranked since 1952

there is a screen map as well.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Here ya go redneck; your worst fears (and mine) confirmed;

english.kyodonews.jp...

Container damaged, radiation leak feared at Fukushima No.2 reactor

TOKYO, March 15, Kyodo Radiation is feared to have leaked after part of a container vessel was apparently damaged by an explosion at the troubled No. 2 reactor of the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant Tuesday morning, its operator said, triggering fears that the problem could develop into a critical ''meltdown'' situation.

Fire at #4 was used as a cover for increasing radiation levels before at the latest press conference by 2nd in charge minister, courtesy of yokosonews live stream www.ustream.tv...

Geiger count readings getting the 'hockey stick' treatment, don't know where this counter is situated in Japan though.
park18.wakwak.com...
edit on 14/3/11 by GhostR1der because: add titling

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
for TheRedneck or anyone else that knows.....during press briefing it was said "neutron radiation has been detected at reactor 3".

what do you think that mean?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thank you Redneck for your intelligent contributions to this thread. I agree entirely with your take on nuclear energy. I live VERY close to Hutchinson Island on the east coast of Florida and am pretty much in "hurricane alley" here.

I actually am far more concerned with its vulnerablity to some form of attack than I am from the weather or technological failure but I do have a scientific background so maybe that takes a little of the "fear of the unknown" factor out of it for me. I was, however, un-nerved shortly after I moved here when I heard a test of their public warning system.

I commend the Japanese for, among other things, the apparent efficacy of their evacuation plans. I seriously doubt that the TPTB around here have a clue.

Thank you again for taking the time to post the information in a comprehensible and balanced fashion.

link   
If one of these reactors runs around saying it is fed up with its stressed out life and how noone respects it, then we can be sure the reactor is having a melt down. Until then we just have to watch the news closely!
edit on 14-3-2011 by Salamandy because: know to no bro

link   

Originally posted by Highground

If there's a meltdown (which it's pretty much presumed there is one underway, or will be shortly), then radioactive Cesium and Iodine isotopes will be released in the vapor, uncontrollably. This is a product of the uranium fission (correct me if I'm wrong please, RedNeck), and when the reactor goes critical because of the meltdown, there's gonna be a large quantity of these materials being produced. They will escape in the vapor being released through the cracks.

The uranium itself will probably not disperse, unless there is some sort of explosion propelling it outwards.

What cracks are you talking about? The venting that has been occuring has been intentional. It is built that way to avoid what happened at chernobyl. In case that does not work (as seems the case now with one at least) then there are, I believe two more forms of containement. Unless those both also fail, there shouldn't be an uncontrolled release.

Right?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I was speaking in terms of the #2 reactor, where it appears the venting is no longer controlled (ie there's been a breach of the containment vessel). At least that's the impression I've been getting.

top topics

<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

join