It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 849.htm
<< 846  847  848    850  851  852 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Good Morning Fellow "Info" Miners...has the canary died yet...let's hope not...keep digging....there's a WORLD of reasons, we need to keep this up. As kdog reminded us, we never know what tiny nugget we find, will be the catalyst in getting the word out in the MSM.

M 5.3, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 08:30:31 UTC
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 06:30:31 PM at epicenter

Depth: 33.00 km (20.51 mi)

Posted on 10 May 2011 | 8:30 am
newsblogged.com...

Bright Blessings

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: add link

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Another to let us know...this is not going away anytime soon.

M 5.1, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 08:54:48 UTC
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 05:54:48 PM at epicenter

Depth: 49.40 km (30.70 mi)

Posted on 10 May 2011 | 8:54 am

Des

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by imlite

Originally posted by imlite
reply to post by Hellhound604

Interesting pics. Have you noticed the labels on the gauges are all in English! I also note that the writing on the radiation suites are in English. Some Photoshoping as well - see the blurred wording on some suites and signs?

I wouldn't be too sure this in itself is evidence of photoshoping.

Back in 1994 when I was based in Japan I was shown a hardcover instruction manual for safe nuclear plant operation by an official from one of the nuclear plants in Western Japan. The entire book was American English. Aside from the remarkable fact they had no copy translated into Japanese - I presume not because he was management asking me for help with the instructions inside. I do think it is quite possible the same situation exists today. Instruction books in English accompany hardware with guages etc also in English rather than in Japanese.

Edit -
I draw two conclusions from this. Firstly, it appears there is little effective regulation in place within the industry as a whole to ensure safety is a priority. If it was a priority then surely the manuals would be published in the language of the users of the merchandise, in this case the hardware, such as the reactors. Secondly, likewise the Japanese government does not appear to have effective regulations in place that ensure the purchasers of the equipment are able to access all of the available operating information made available (in English) by the makers of the equipment. Abysmally slack all around, and I want to emphasise it may still be the case now. Unless any of you know the situation is now different and operating manuals are in now available to management and staff in Japanese.

edit on 10-5-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Ex-sfk has some juicy info today - I highly recommend his blog for anyone who has not been following it. Here are a few excerpts.

Firstly, we have an explanation for the "steam" release on the 8th:

Since the pressure inside the reactor building is lower than the outside by design, when TEPCO opened the double door the cooler outside air got sucked in, and the radioactive air that was inside the building was pushed up and out of the building through the roof that had collapsed by the explosion on March 12. And they chose to open the door at night, when the outside air was even colder.

So the whole point of this exercise was to release as much radioactive air as possible out of the reactor building, it seems. They could have chosen to do it during the day when the outside air was warmer, but that wouldn't have pushed out as much radioactive hot air as they would have liked.

News that TEPCO is adding "hydrazine" - possibly to prevent corrosion:

TEPCO has started to mix "hydrazine" (N2H4) with the water that is being poured into the Spent Fuel Pools in Reactors 3 and 4 at Fukushima I Nuke Plant.

Hydrazine is highly toxic and dangerously unstable, and is usually handled while in solution for safety reasons. Hydrazine is used within both nuclear and conventional electrical power plant steam cycles to control concentrations of dissolved oxygen in an effort to reduce corrosion.

Finally, a journalist has claimed that the US pressured Kan into shutting down Hamaoka:

Prime Minister Naoto Kan requested that Chubu Electric Power Company shut down Hamaoka Nuke Plant because of a strong pressure from the United States since early April.

So much for Kan's words, that he was requesting the shutdown for the "safety and security of the Japanese citizens". (See my previous post on Hamaoka.)

The interest of the US, alleges Aoyama, is the safety of its base in Yokosuka, home to the US 7th Fleet, which is downwind from Hamaoka.

Aoyama said he himself received phone calls from both the US Defense Department and the State Department, and was told by the US officials: "We're just out of Fukushima. That Hamaoka..." (These are his words in English, in the video.)

All credit to EX-SFK

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
IMO, no amount of pay cuts, will erase the lies that have led us to this point, of absolute uncertainty in what our future as a peoples holds. No amount of money will heal this wounded planet.

Tokyo Electric Executives to Take Further Salary Reductions
By Yuji Okada - May 10, 2011 1:33 AM ET

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said the company’s chairman and president will take no pay from this month, extending salary cuts as the utility seeks government funding to cope with the crisis at the Fukushima nuclear plant.

Chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata and President Masataka Shimizu and six executive vice presidents won’t receive a salary, Shimizu told reporters after a meeting with government officials in Tokyo today. Other directors will have their pay cut by 60 percent, he said

They "know" it's not good, and will only get worse....See TEPCO, this is where your lies have led you.

“The situation with respect to our fund-raising, both from bonds and loans from financial institutions, is very serious,” Tepco said in a document submitted to the government and distributed to the media. “About 750 billion yen needs to be repaid this fiscal year and if the present circumstances continue, our funding situation will eventually become untenable. www.bloomberg.com...

Des

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
WOW...very active so far this morning.....slow down Mama Nature..breath...take a long break from the shaking.

USGS M 2.5+ Earthquakes

Real-time, worldwide earthquake list for the past day

M 5.2, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan
36.302°N 141.618°E

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:14:41 UTC
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 07:14:41 PM at epicenter

Depth: 24.90 km (15.47 mi)

Posted on 10 May 2011 | 10:14 am

newsblogged.com...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by burikun

thanks burikun,

i was just on NHK website + i noticed the same thing...

i was trying to work out how to start a new thread on this, cause i am still a newby...

anyway,

i am so concerned i feel like i have to at least repeat the news...

QUOTE from NHK...

""" Tokyo Electric Power Company has been pumping 9 tons of water per hour into the reactor since last Wednesday after its temperature began rising earlier this month.

That was an increase from 7 tons per hour. But the temperature at the bottom of the reactor stood at 150.6 degrees Celsius as of 5 AM Tuesday, marking a rise of 34.1 degrees over the past 10 days."""

END QUOTE...

this is definitely NOT getting better,

and throw in this current "E/Q swarm" (4x MAG 5+ E/Qs in the last 3 hours...)
see:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

ps: the 7.1 in Loyalty Islands is now classed as a 6.8.

so technically we are still due for a 7+ mag anytime
(we get one per month, and it is a month since the last one - in Japan)

BUT please do not get distracted from the headline "TEMP rising in reactor 3..."

seeya

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I see the Gov't of Japan, starting to "distance" it's self from TEPCO...this will open a whole new Pandora;s Box in the financial picture of Japan. It also might be the beginning of the end, of TEPCO, as a viable player in the politics of Japan.

TOKYO | Mon May 9, 2011 11:48pm EDT

TOKYO May 10 (Reuters) - Tokyo Electric Power Co will be asked to keep its request for government financial support to a minimum, Trade Minister Banri Kaieda said on Tuesday.

The troubled utility will also be asked not to implement immediate hikes in electricity prices, he told reporters.

TEPCO's president asked for government support on Tuesday to help the troubled utility shoulder the burden of compensating those displaced by the crisis at its Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.[ID:nL3E7GA099] (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka) www.reuters.com...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
There's a world of shake-up going on behind the curtain... This is big news to me. It indicates, things have gotten far worse in the past week...something, we of course, knew. Just how worse, and still deducing educated guesses, based on crumbs released to the public, has shaken me to the core of my being.

Japan to scrap plan to boost nuke energy to 50 pct Added At: 2011-05-10 4:17 PM

The spent fuel pool of Reactor Unit 3 of Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) Co.'s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station in Fukushima prefecture, is seen in this still image taken from video on May 8, 2011, and released by TEPCO on May 10, 2011.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

OKYO: Japan's prime minister says the country will scrap a plan calling for increasing the share of nuclear power as an energy source to 50 percent from the current 30 percent.

Naoto Kan told a news conference Tuesday that Japan needs to "start from scratch" on its long-term energy policy after the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant was damaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Kan also said he would take a pay cut beginning in June until the Fukushima nuclear crisis is resolved to take responsibility as part of the government that has promoted nuclear energy.
www.thehimalayantimes.com...

Des

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
Man, you guys and gals rock!

All I have for this post is a link to some pics submitted by a concerned individual.

Thank you, whoever you are... treasure trove from same individual!

INFURIATING!!! As I guessed this individual works for TEPCO, this is what they are fed???????

More pics.
edit on (5/10/1111 by loveguy because: Meh

Thank you for those links, It answered some of my questions

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Spent Fuel Pool 3

New video shows the destruction of Unit 3 Spent Fuel Pool - and its a mess in there!

Thanks for the heads up JustMike. If I hadn't come and had a look in here I wouldn't have known until tonight.

edit on 10/5/11 by imlite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Something looks to be steaming/smoking from the building on right hand side of webcam shot? Hard to tell with the pixeling but you don't often see anything on the night time shots. Any thoughts?www.youtube.com.../l/-ZPYlazljME

edit on 10-5-2011 by scotland48 because: (no reason given)

Sorry, can't seem to pick up camera link.
edit on 10-5-2011 by scotland48 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

This is all you have a few pics ....you rock as well!,

This is what I thought interpreted back at the beginning, March the 16th, number 4 going boom as well as other points and have spent day and night trying to find some confirmation with no luck.
We already have everything we need, never ever doubt your own instinct abilities, for the first time in 30+ years I thought I had pushed myself to far and had lost the plot, everything and everyone in the world was pointing to my thoughts being wrong.
You have helped to restore one crippled system to certain extent, a prise that the powers that be will reward one day as will be the others involved in this world-wide catastrophe this I am sure till then think Light, Peace and Love.

The blackened Heart of this Soul thanks you from the depths of all that is and all that will ever be. Thank-You
p.s its ok if you or others think im a fruit loop most usually do until i can personally prove, it comes with the territory lol. --there is no energy more powerful than the mind.------light, peace, love------.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by scotland48

Its the Spent Fuel Pool of unit 4. Its either smoking or steaming. From the looks of it its steaming!

Fukushima Live Feed

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Japan's Kan declines PM's pay over nuclear crisis
AFP
Tue, May 10, 2011

news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20110510-278072.html

TOKYO - Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan said Tuesday he will not accept his premier's wage until the crisis at the tsunami-hit Fukushima nuclear plant is over, and pledged to review energy policy.

The centre-left leader signalled that Japan would maintain nuclear power but also boost the role of renewables, making them key pillars of the energy policy of the world's number three economy.

Japan was plunged into a nuclear crisis by the March 11 quake-tsunami that hit the plant, causing partial meltdowns, explosions and radiation leaks in the world's worst atomic accident since Chernobyl 25 years ago.

Kan said that "along with the plant operator, TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company), the government bears a great responsibility for the nuclear accident as it has pursued a nuclear energy policy."

"As the one in charge of this policy, I wish to offer my apologies to the people," he said in a televised press conference.

"In view of this position, I have decided to give up my annual allowance as prime minister from June, until we can see the prospect of a solution to the nuclear accident," he said, adding that he would keep his lawmaker's salary.

(...)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Spent Fuel Pool 3

New video shows the destruction of Unit 3 Spent Fuel Pool - and its a mess in there!

Thanks for the heads up JustMike. If I hadn't come and had a look in here I wouldn't have known until tonight.

NHK report TEPCO as saying SFP3 contaminated with high levels of radionuclides from reactor core!

Tokyo Electric Power Company examined a water sample from the pool on Sunday. The sample contained 140,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium-134 per cubic centimeter, 150,000 becquerels of cesium-137, and 11,000 becquerels of iodine-131.

None of these substances were detected during an inspection on March 2nd, before the accident triggered by the March 11th disaster.

TEPCO says these substances may have come from damaged fuel rods in the reactor rather than the damaged spent fuel rods in the pool, because it has detected radioactive iodine, which has a short half-life.

Radioactive substances such as iodine are generated during nuclear fission inside a reactor. The company says the radioactive substances may have become attached to debris and entered the pool together.

So, are TEPCO now saying that Reactor 3 did explode (as we all suspected), or are they trying to make excuses to explain away criticalities in damaged fuel rods in the damaged fuel
pool

NHK Fukushima

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

NHK Fukushima

Hang on - whats this?

Taken from the last sentence of the article which I almost missed:

The levels of radiation detected are almost the same as those detected in April in water samples in the fuel pool of the No.2 reactor

So they have been testing SFP2 (unreported) and it has extremely high levels of radionuclides and possible criticalities.

I would love to know what's happening under the roof of Unit 2.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
Man, you guys and gals rock!

All I have for this post is a link to some pics submitted by a concerned individual.

Thank you, whoever you are... treasure trove from same individual!

INFURIATING!!! As I guessed this individual works for TEPCO, this is what they are fed???????

More pics.
edit on (5/10/1111 by loveguy because: Meh

Good find! definitely an inside job! I notice that he's pixelated the time stamp and and any person that can be identified in the pics. These have only been up for less than a day. lets hope they don't find out who he is. He needs to change his user name though, xtcbz may be used to throw him in jail on drug charges... (just my conspiratorial nature?? This is ATS, afterall!!!)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by imlite

But #3 is gone. Could this be #4 ?

new topics

top topics

<< 846  847  848    850  851  852 >>

join