It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 848.htm
<< 845  846  847    849  850  851 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

Which looks in good shape ?

www.world-nuclear-news.org...
"A worker looks down to a display
when measuring radiation inside
Fukushima Daiichi 1 yesterday"
unquote
edit on 9-5-2011 by BobAthome because: grmr&sp BOTH count

More on that story..

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- The operator of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant found that the radiation level of the building housing the troubled No. 1 reactor stood at up to 700 millisieverts per hour, the government's nuclear agency said Monday, citing the need for radiation shielding to proceed with work to bring an end to the nuclear crisis. The radiation level, which was around 10 millisieverts per hour at its lowest, was measured as Tokyo Electric Power Co. workers and agency officials entered into the No. 1 reactor building early Monday as part of preparations to start full-scale work to create a system to stably cool the damaged nuclear fuel inside. "An area with a double-digit millisievert level, let alone three-digit figures, is quite tough as a working environment. So we have to do the work by using some shielding," Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, told a press conference.

mdn.mainichi.jp...
edit on 9-5-2011 by Tworide because: EXtext

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
More on the mystery bubbles in the #4 spent fuel pool by Dr. Saji:

II. 1F4 pool water video TEPCO also released another video of 1F4 pool water situation. The pool water temperature is as high as 80 degree-C. VIDEO It is very interesting to see bubbles started to come out at this temperature. Although it is explained that the bubbles are steam bubbles, for me they are obviously hydrogen bubbles. The pool water seems to have been saturated with hydrogen gas generated through water radiolysis and started to release the excess hydrogen gas.

www.ambersharick.com...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It didn't take long to convince Chubu Electric to shut down Hamaoka Nuclear power station.

NAGOYA (Kyodo) -- Chubu Electric Power Co. agreed Monday to suspend operation of the Hamaoka nuclear power station in Shizuoka Prefecture, as requested by Prime Minister Naoto Kan for safety reasons, its president said.

The Hamaoka plant accounts for around 11.7 percent of the total electricity supply of Chubu Electric, the service area of which includes the head offices of major Japanese manufacturers including Toyota Motor Corp. and Suzuki Motor Corp.

mdn.mainichi.jp...
edit on 9-5-2011 by Tworide because: I kant spel gud

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
mystery bubbles in the #4 spent fuel pool
if their still a mystery at this point I would ask to see someone's license.
You know just as a precaution,,,

It should be like asking "Tell water is H2O+UP+YOURS2= True or False

And if he say's "Ill get back too you" well then the gig would be up.

Seriosly "mystery bubbles" ??????

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I find it disturbing that farm workers are handling and have probably been eating these contaminated vegetables...

More Fukushima veggies banned

The government Monday banned the shipment of bamboo shoots and "kogomi" wild vegetables from parts of Fukushima Prefecture after some were found to have unsafe levels of radioactive cesium.

Bamboo shoots taken in Iwaki were found to have 650 becquerels of cesium per kilogram on April 27, and a level of 770 becquerels was found in kogomi taken in the prefectural capital on April 28, surpassing the safety limit of 500 becquerels.

search.japantimes.co.jp...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Maybe the press will start to take notice??

From the Huffington Post

Deadly Silence on Fukushima

I received the following email a few days ago from a Russian nuclear physicist friend who is an expert on the kinds of gases being released at Fukushima. Here is what he wrote:

About Japan: the problem is that the reactor uses "dirty" fuel. It is a combination of plutonium and uranium (MOX). I suspect that the old fuel rods have bean spread out due to the explosion and the surrounding area is contaminated with plutonium which means you can never return to this place again. It is like a new Tchernobyl. Personally, I am not surprised that the authority has not informed people about this.

Why is this not on the front page of every single newspaper in the world? Why are official agencies not measuring from many places around the world and reporting on what is going on in terms of contamination every single day since this disaster happened? Radioactivity has been being released now for almost two full months! Even small amounts when released continuously, and in fact especially continuous exposure to small amounts of radioactivity, can cause all kinds of increases in cancers.

huffington post

And from Dr. Saji:

8) Proprietary information and severe accident In trying to investigate the Fukushima Daiichi accident, I noticed that one of the big obstructions for investigation of his accident is in proprietary information, seems to be guarded by the GE-TEPCO-TOSHIBA-HITACHI complex.

The technical information I can readily access to the Fukushima Daiichi is far less than that I have for the Chernobyl reactor, through Dr. Sich’s Ph,D thesis ( Alexander Roman Sich's Ph.D. thesis 1994, The Chernobyl Accident Revisited: Source Term Analysis and Reconstruction of Events During The Active Phase, MIT Libraries, MITNE-306 )

I do not think this situation is acceptable, since not only the Japanese Government, but many other countries will be forced to spend a significant amount of money to recover from the wake of this accident.

ambersharick
edit on 9-5-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Technically they are calling it the "dyer, separator, storage pool" , and I think no converting what so ever . At a guess they transport the rods around from the SFP and bring them into the dryer pool to put them into the casks ( probably the blue things we were seeing in the mighty remote controlled Tonka trucks pictures) for transportation to the common storage pools ( or theoretically dried out for internment in dry cask storage).

But given the stoarge problems and the lack of proper dry casks , it's a good bet that they had a good deal more than NONE stored there ay least in three and four (and given the large numbers of rods at 5 and 6 probably too).

In answer to bobs question , they put the storage pools on top for convenience, as they like/need to keep the rods under water and up high pools are the easiest way to do that, to put it simply as a short term measure it's O.k. but as a long term measure: easy and cheap

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This got passed by somebody,, If this was a Cock Roach in one of your finer eateries,,,,, they would have been shut in an hour.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
So once again too safe gaurd this deadly pool they install,, titanium reinforced contrete holding structure,,? no they install blow away panels?? Thats right,, blow AWAY panels????
edit on 9-5-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
hey the crane is back and it is picking at teh north side of four ( i think that it was probably there before too ) looks like they may be removing the poolium , or trying to ..

(edit) actually I should take that back , they don't seem to be doing any work with it I think in fact they are using it for recon (probably were the other day to )

(edit2) man they sure move that thing fast it is definitely on the north side of #4 (so they are almost certainly continuing whatever they were about from before ...can't image what would be a priority unless it's the removal of poolium deposits or something else equally heavy and in need of immediate evac
edit on 10-5-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Been a while since i've posted on Fukushima but been following it intermittently is the situation getting worse? Whats going on last i heard is that there was some smoke coming from the reactors.

Are large amounts of Radiation being released or has the situation cooled down mostly.? I heard that it will take months to years to fix them or something.

Our hearts go out to those affected in Japan by the Tsunami and Quake. Peace....

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
They might be able to stifle the news coming out of FU-shima,
but it has caused ripples of concern around the globe.

Nuclear Regulatory Commission Changed Nuclear Relicensing Rules

Critics of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the powerful industry it oversees continue to question its process for issuing license renewals at aging plants.

Two plants, Monticello in Minnesota and Yankee Rowe in Massachusetts, were offered up in the late 1980s as test cases for relicensing by an industry keen to demonstrate that its aging fleet could operate well beyond its original licensure.

NRC's rules for acquiring a license extension were twofold. First, an operator had to demonstrate that it was in compliance with its existing license; then it had to present an adequate plan for managing its aging equipment.

The first part of the equation undid Yankee Rowe, as reviewers found serious problems in its containment vessel, precipitating the plant's closure even before its original license was expired. As a result, Monticello's operators -- and the wider industry -- went on the offensive.

Three years later, the NRC rewrote the rules, essentially taking it as a given that applicants were in compliance with the their current licenses and focusing solely on the aging management plans -- precisely what Northern States Power Company had been asking for.

Why the change? According to the agency, it provided a “more stable and predictable regulatory process for license renewal.”

But according to critics, including David Lochbaum, a nuclear engineer and director of the Nuclear Safety Project at the Union of Concerned Scientists, an environmental and nuclear watchdog group, the motivation was simpler. "They didn't want to find anymore show-stoppers like they found at Yankee Rowe," he said.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Just found this on a J-web site....makes you wonder who is running their PR and when will they get a clue? Reminds me of the time I took a couple of Toyota honchos to a horse ranch in Kentucky (Toyota has a plant nearby) and they told the owners that they loved the taste of horse.

TOKYO —

Japan will host a reception Wednesday in Tokyo to wine and dine foreign diplomats with products from Fukushima Prefecture and other areas hit by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, to promote their sales affected by concerns over radiation contamination, a senior official said Monday. At the event to be held at the Iikura Guest House, local farmers will sell farm produce from Fukushima, where a nuclear crisis is unfolding, and its vicinities.

Source

Also, on the subject mentioned a page or so back concerning the day laborer duped into working at fukushima, I lived in Osaka for 12 years and the area they mentioned he was hired from was Nishinari. That is the closest thing to a skid row that you will find in Japan. It is not only sad but scary that they would hire a guy like that for the job. I would go down there to take pictures with a friend and most of the guys collect cardboard and sell it for a drink of Ozeki one cup sake. Most of them lived in cardboard houses. Seems like TEPCO is not too worried about the skills of their labor force.
edit on 10-5-2011 by burikun because: add info

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by burikun

So what's left after that?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Here is a story on the rise in #3's temp.

The operator of the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is to begin construction work on pipes for the No.3 reactor to make sure that all cooling water being pumped in is actually reaching the reactor. Tokyo Electric Power Company has been pumping 9 tons of water per hour into the reactor since last Wednesday after its temperature began rising earlier this month.

That was an increase from 7 tons per hour. But the temperature at the bottom of the reactor stood at 150.6 degrees Celsius as of 5 AM Tuesday, marking a rise of 34.1 degrees over the past 10 days.

Source

There are also stories on the obligatory, "We are in the building......oh but wait the radiation may hamper us from here on in". A new map of the aerial fallout of cesium on the NHK site also.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Man, you guys and gals rock!

All I have for this post is a link to some pics submitted by a concerned individual.

Thank you, whoever you are... treasure trove from same individual!

INFURIATING!!! As I guessed this individual works for TEPCO, this is what they are fed???????

More pics.
edit on (5/10/1111 by loveguy because: Meh

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Nice set
I will save them all in the morning

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Tepco has now released video of (what is left of) the spent fuel pool in Unit 3. (For any new readers, Unit 3 was the one that had the BIG explosion.) The video was taken on May 8.

I can't find this video uploaded on YT yet, and also I can't upload a copy direct to ATS like we used to be able to, but you can download a copy direct from Tepco.

The other day, Silverlok observed that there was a crane doing something around Unit 3 on May 8 -- putting something inside the wreckage of the Unit 3 building and then taking it out again. Later he commented that it looked like they were doing recon. It looks like his observations were (as usual!!) right on the mark.

And frankly in this case at least, there seems little doubt that the video is exactly what they say it is: Unit 3's spent fuel pool is utterly destroyed. Okay, we figured this out weeks ago, but this video confirms it.

Give me a few minutes and I'll upload some stills from it.

Mike

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Sorry to butt in,but has anyone tried to contact any or all of the MSM outlets?
I have started with snippets here and there,not revealing my source,of course.
Sending emails and leaving comments on every story they publish,just trying in someway
to get them to at least acknowledge if not report on the situation going on at Fukushima.
What do you all think?
At least I'm trying something.

Go ahead,call me a fool,but I feel I need to do more.

Fool..never! Wise.yes
I've been doing like wise. I am a firm believer in email and phone calls, to keep this horrible event in the MSM. If calling, try to develop a receptive relationship with the producer of the show/person, you are trying to get info to. It works folks Kudos kdog

Des

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Okay, as I mentioned in my previous post, here's some images from Tepco's video of the Daiichi Unit 3 spent fuel pool (SFP), taken on May 8, 2011. (These are all quite large images, so if you don't like messing with the slider, just right-click on an image then select "view image". Afterwards, use the back button on your browser to return to this page.)
First, a set of thumbs for the video:

Now some individual frames:

(Source for all images: Tepco.
Thumbs and images created using "Media Player Classic". A nice piece of free software that does a lot more than Windows' media player.
)

Not a lot of spent fuel rods visible here. Not complete ones, anyway. As we surmised long since, they mostly got blown sky-high.

top topics

<< 845  846  847    849  850  851 >>

join