It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 846.htm
<< 843  844  845    847  848  849 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
My "gut" is telling me, it's gonna be another busy night at Fukushima Daiichi...all lit up again. We'll see...hmmmm

Web Cam link... news.tbs.co.jp...

Des

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This story is outrageous and why was this man sent to handle water to cool reactors 5 and 6 which are supposedly in cold shutdown and somewhat functional? You know if one has come forward...there are more who have been lied to and sent to Fukushima.

Man made to work at Fukushima plant for 2 weeks without prior knowledge

OSAKA (Kyodo) -- An Osaka man was made to work at the crippled nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture for about two weeks, when he had been expecting to work in neighboring Miyagi Prefecture, said a job placement center in Osaka on Monday.

The worker in his 60s received daily wages of about 24,000 yen, double the sum he was initially promised, but complained that the pay undervalued the work he did at the Fukushima plant, the Nishinari labor welfare center said after interviewing the man and the company that hired him.

"I was finally issued with a radiation dosimeter on my fourth day of work there," he was quoted as saying.

On March 17, the man accepted the offer of a job -- details of which had been posted at the agency -- in the Miyagi Prefecture town of Onagawa. Instead, he was immediately sent to the Fukushima Daiichi plant to work for six hours a day clad in protective gear, handling water to cool the Nos. 5 and 6 reactors there, the center said.

Is this how Fukushima is getting its workers now...lying to the unemployed? Taking advantage of 60 year old men who are expecting to go drive a water truck somewhere else? No docimeter until day 4 and likely no training on radiation hazards? What happened to the workers already at the TEPCO plant? What about the workers at other TEPCO properties - like at the headquarters?

Source
edit on 9-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
More secrets...don't tell me these people don't keep secrets....it's called conspiring.

Japan, U.S. negotiating construction of nuclear waste facility in Mongolia

ULAN BATOR, Mongolia -- Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and the U.S. Department of Energy have secretly been advancing plans to construct the world's first international storage and disposal facility for spent nuclear fuel in Mongolia, it has been learned.

The deal would enable Japan and the U.S., which lack disposal sites of their own, to counter efforts by Russia and France to market nuclear technology internationally by selling reactors and the disposal of nuclear waste services together as a set. Parties involved in negotiations acknowledged the secret plans when interviewed by the Mainichi.

In return for the deal, Mongolia would receive nuclear power technology from Japan and the U.S. However, the nuclear crisis sparked by the earthquake and tsunami at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant has pressured the Japanese government to rethink its nuclear power policies, and the move to burden a third party with the task of disposing of nuclear waste is likely to draw criticism.

bold added.

Source

No wonder the U.S./EPA/FDA is in collusion with the Japanese government and TEPCO to cover-up radiation risks. There was money to be made. This has to end. Nuclear power is not and will never be safe in hands such as these.
edit on 9-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Every time I read a TEPCO quote, I try to figure out any potential hidden meaning in their words. I was struggling with "release of radioactive materials into the air had not raised radiation levels" because I couldn't find any sense in it - your explanation certainly makes a lot more sense than TEPCOs'.

reply to post by DancedWithWolves

"Steam is coming out from the spent fuel pool of the No. 3 and No. 4 reactors,..."

They acknowledge the "steam" (and the location it's coming from) but I'm afraid I don't see any explanation for what may be causing it.

In typical TEPCO style, they make assessments based on assumptions (I wish they would make more assessments based on hard science:@@

I'm assuming that due to shadows created by lighting, the steam appeared black...

...Therefore, we assessed that it's not smoke

They must know 100% whether it is steam or smoke yet they chose ambiguous wording (with many potential meanings), when they could have easily said something more definitive. Honestly, instead of putting my mind at ease, it makes me suspicious that they may be hiding something.

Digtriad.com

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

... And just today I read an article in which Tepco states that it is now safe enough for the workers to spend 30minutes inside reactor #1!!!!! Can't remember where though, will have to look for it. I get thoroughly confused with this saga, the moment I try to add 1+1 from the MSN, I get 5.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by imlite
reply to post by Hellhound604

Interesting pics. Have you noticed the labels on the gauges are all in English! I also note that the writing on the radiation suites are in English. Some Photoshoping as well - see the blurred wording on some suites and signs?

I have also noticed the english writing. I can only assume it is because it is a GE design, and they kept the labels in english. I am not in the mood of counting all the hot pixels on the photo in that room with the valves and gauges, but I can see quite a number of them,so the radioactivity must be quite high. Unfortunately there is no info in the EXIF field, so I cannot see what camera was used, and the exposure time, to see if I can come up with a estimate of the radiation level.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by whoswho69

I remember earlier in this thread, someone was pointing out potential radiation damage on some photos.

I'm not an expert (an expert opinion would be appreciated), but if you zoom in to the below photo you can clearly see lots of white "specks" which I think may be caused by radiation. The other photo has some speckles too.

reply to post by Hellhound604

I have no idea how genuine the photos are, however I would guess that they may choose to show photos of "undamaged" parts of the building. Maybe if the camera turned around we would get a pic of a pile of rubble?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

It seems another as well, Agence France Presse agency quoted that Kyodo article.

Temp sent to Fukushima plant

09 May 2011 | 06:05:20 PM | Source: AFP

www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1534571/Temp-sent-to-Fukushima-plant

A Japanese man who applied for a temporary truck driving job instead found himself deployed to the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, an employment official says.

The man, in his early 60s, had applied for a job as a 10-ton dump truck driver in Miyagi prefecture, north of Fukushima, which was advertised for Y12,000 ($A138) a day for 30 days, about a week after the March 11 quake.

But when he was taken to his new work location, he realised he was actually at the site of the country's radiation-leaking atomic plant, said the job centre official in the western city of Osaka.

(...)

Kyodo News agency reported on a similar case involving another man in his 60s, who ended up working at the plant for two weeks, receiving daily wages of about Y24,000 ($A276), double the sum initially promised.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Good find

That makes at least two day laborers who were swindled into working in a nuclear hot zone.

I find it strange that this man was also working to install water tank hoses to pump water vehicles for reactors 5 and 6. He was given this job about a week after the March 11 earthquake and kept on for 30 days according to your link. Can someone look back and confirm what TEPCO said the cooling system function was a week and more later at Units 5 and 6. Something is wrong here. I thought TEPCO had reported achieving cold shutdown by March 18 at 5 and 6 and that cooling systems were operable? This indicates they were just setting up water tank hoses to vehicles on and after March 18 for reactors 5 and 6. I have to run or would dig myself. But this could be a huge flag that units 5 and 6 have been and are also in meltdown and were never successfully put into cold shutdown. I could be wrong and I hope I am...but this work doesn't add up for me to the scenario TEPCO presented early on unless my memory of dates is off. Thanks in advance for the help!

The man was provided a mask and protective clothing and tasked with attaching water tank hoses to pumping vehicles, part of work to supply cooling water for the plant's reactors number 5 and 6, the official told AFP.

After his initial deployment, the man "called the office and said he wasn't sure if he should continue working there, just near the reactor buildings," said Satoshi Hoshino of the Nishinari job centre.

The labourer, whose name and age were withheld for privacy reasons, was under the supervision of plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co and ended up working for a full 30 days, he said.

Source

Insert Zorgon's smelly fish image here. (Need to save that image because it continues to apply.)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Quite a post, good to see you finally let your true colors show. I have to admit, I am a little disappointed in Zorg and SFA's response. I wouldn't have expected either to buy into this BS. But it is ATS and I guess there are core reasons why people choose to spend time here.

I was holding out hope some sanity here could be retained but now there is now no further reason for me to post on this thread. It's like I had my finger in the dike.

I'm sure you'll all lament my absense.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
More TEPCO speak....

By IB Times Staff Reporter | May 9, 2011 9:48 AM EDT

Update on Fukushima plant: Experts find up to 700 ms of radiation

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) said Monday the radiation level inside one of the reactor buildings of the damaged Fukushima power plant has reached 700 millisierverts per hour, surpassing the expected level.

At a press conference, TEPCO failed to confirm if the latest procedures would be enough to lessen the radiation levels and was unsure if the situation can be stabilized by October.

Nine representatives from TEPCO and Japan's NISA entered the facility and measured radiation and safety conditions for nearly 30 minutes and were exposed to radiation levels ranging from 2.7 millisieverts to 10.56 millisieverts, the nuclear and safety agency reported.

Some parts of the dust in the nuclear plant was sent to the laboratories in Tokyo for analysis. The dust still continues to release radiation into the atmosphere, the ministry reported.

Read more: www.ibtimes.com...

"
Some parts of the dust in the nuclear plant was sent to the laboratories in Tokyo for analysis. The dust still continues to release radiation into the atmosphere, the ministry reported." ...ya think

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Leave it to Russia to get it right....Japan news is all rose colored glasses pablum...

TEPCO detects dangerous radiation level at Fukushima No. 1 reactor MOSCOW, May 9 (RIA Novosti)

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), detected a potentially dangerous radiation level at the damaged No. 1 reactor of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, Kyodo news agency said Monday.

en.rian.ru...

Des

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
reply to post by Silverlok

Quite a post, good to see you finally let your true colors show. I have to admit, I am a little disappointed in Zorg and SFA's response. I wouldn't have expected either to buy into this BS. But it is ATS and I guess there are core reasons why people choose to spend time here.

I was holding out hope some sanity here could be retained but now there is now no further reason for me to post on this thread. It's like I had my finger in the dike.

I agree with you; that was quite a post Silverlok made. - Intelligent, thoughtful, and showing some of the historical perspective for the mendaciously ruthless attitudes we are seeing shown by governments and industry in relation the the Fukushima disaster.

If you have tired of attempting to impose a certain outlook onto this thread, and if that is all you were ever here for, please feel free to pull your finger out of the dike, (I'm sure she won't notice your "absense",) and depart to greener pastures. With luck you'll find some place so green you decide to buy the farm.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
PM Kan announced it on TV before talking to pres of utility co. using that power he is...

May 9, 2011 Japan nuclear plant closing while seawall is built

(AP) TOKYO (AP) — A Japanese utility agreed Monday to shutter three nuclear reactors at a coastal power plant while it builds a seawall and improves other tsunami defenses there.

Chubu Electric Power Co. acted at a special board meeting after Prime Minister Naoto Kan requested the temporary shutdown at the Hamaoka plant amid concerns an earthquake magnitude 8.0 or higher could strike the central Japanese region sometime within 30 years.

The government's decision came after evaluating Japan's 54 reactors for quake and tsunami vulnerability after the March 11 disasters that crippled the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in northeast Japan. The Hamaoka facility sits above a major fault line and has long been considered Japan's riskiest nuclear power plant.

Chubu Electric President Akihisa Mizuno described Kan's request, which was announced on live television Friday evening, as carrying immense weight. His company's response reflects its commitment to putting safety first, Mizuno said.
www.cbsnews.com...

Des

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Oh my.U.S. workers being looked for by head hunters...G.E./TEPCO look for subcontract workers..Mary does a lot of her Japan uploads to utube, She adds her own opinion in these vids..but worth a watch.

Alert :TEPCO Lies To Get U.S. Workers To Nuclear Plant (JAPAN FUKUSHIMA) May 8, 2011

Des

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Yes people are here to see the current news and see what interesting hypothesis others may come up with. Not to read some nambies opinions of the other posters in this thread.

I think dancing with joy would be a more fitting description of what the many readers and those posting in this thread will do upon your leaving us!

I found Silverloks post interesting, even if it left me with many questions, it was surely a prod for myself and others to think about and it shows a need for us further research his hypothesis to our own satisfaction and conclusions.
This thread is not a place to opinionate against those who are posting their theories!
edit on 9-5-2011 by AlaskanDad because: typo

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Insert Zorgon's smelly fish image here. (Need to save that image because it continues to apply.)

Well I guess they have to lie... because by now it seems there would be no other way to get workers. Had they been honest from the start, they might have been able to get people with a desire to save Japan, but after all the lies to locals, who in their right mind would go knowingly at this point?

Maybe they could go to prisons and make a deal like we did in WWII... so many weeks work in return for a pardon

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

Well I guess they have to lie... because by now it seems there would be no other way to get workers. Had they been honest from the start, they might have been able to get people with a desire to save Japan, but after all the lies to locals, who in their right mind would go knowingly at this point?

Maybe they could go to prisons and make a deal like we did in WWII... so many weeks work in return for a pardon

There are tens of thousands of Americans sitting on death rows in US prisons, we should send them in, could expedite their death sentences and save the American taxpayers billions.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

But it is ATS and I guess there are core reasons why people choose to spend time here.

Um...I am simply here (in this thread) as it is one of the best sources of news and info regarding the situation at Fukushima.

Moving on...

The consistently excellent ex-sfk blog has some further info on radioactive sewage.

Yesterday:

At one facility in Horikawa-machi in Fukushima City, 446,000 becquerels per kilogram of radioactive cesium were found. At Koriyama, it was 26,400 becquerels per kilogram.

They say they'll have to find out where the sludge has gone. And at one of them, the facility in Fukushima City above, radioactive sludge may have nowhere else to go but spill into the river as soon as May 20.

Today:

According to the letter (in Japanese) from Yuhei Sato, governor of Fukushima, to Akihiro Ohata, Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, dated May 2, there are 62 sewage treatment facilities in Fukushima Prefecture.

So they tested 20. There are 42 more. Oh boy. The result of the test is here (in Japanese). Pages 4 and 5 are the sludge analysis; they tested only cesium-134, cesium-137, and iodine-131. (They should have tested for strontium and plutonium, too.)

Further info over at ex-sfk's blog.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

To each his own. There are now quite a few sites to get good information. For those who desire an adult discussion you might want to try here.

www.physicsforums.com...

top topics

<< 843  844  845    847  848  849 >>

join