It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 843.htm
<< 840  841  842    844  845  846 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Your Sunday morning oldies dose of cartoons brought to you by General Electric in 1952.

A is for Atom

A Is For Atom is an artifact of an era characterized by a strong narrative of belief in science and in technological progress. The potentially threatening nuclear technology is presented to the public in a “humanized” fashion, with elemental forces being depicted as humanoid figures such as Dr. Atom, who has an atom for a head. In a key sequence, the film introduces the five atomic “giants,” which “man has released from within the atom’s heart”: the warrior and destroyer, the farmer, the healer, the engineer and the research worker. Each of these giants is depicted as a majestic figure, towering over the earth, bringing progress and limitless growth to the world. The viewers are reassured that ”all are within man’s power and subject to his command,” that our future depends “on man’s wisdom, on his firmness in the use of that power.”

Source

And the sequel that brought a little reality to the earlier version.
A is for Atom Sequel

Google Video Link

The British 45-minute documentary A Is For Atom was named after the 1953 animated short of the ‘Atoms for peace’ campaign with the same title. The final installment of a BBC-2 series about politics and science, called Pandora’s Box, the film tells the story of the development of peaceful nuclear technologies in the United States, Britain and Russia, and how political and business forces of the time contributed to these transformation. In order to make the production of nuclear power plants profitable, for example, private corporations like Westinghouse and General Electric pushed for the construction of bigger plants in order to utilize economies of scale. However, with growing reactor sizes, safe operation could no longer be fully guaranteed. The film shows that despite repeated warnings by senior scientists from the Atomic Energy Commission and the industry itself, the corporations succeeded in avoiding costly changes to the plant design.

Morning all.

edit on 8-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It seems that we have a new camera view. Guess they don't want us to see the damage that was done to 3 and 4. I feel so sorry for the people now that the wind has changed. JapGov/TEPCO et at should be ashamed of themselves. If the truth is ever told, we might be witness to they're/our own, "Nuremberg" trials.
edit on 5/8/2011 by gr82m8okdok because: (no reason given)
The wind has moved the camera. The angle is now the same as always. Sorry.
edit on 5/8/2011 by gr82m8okdok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Good morning fellow collective brain cells.

M 4.8, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan

Sunday, May 8, 2011 13:28:42 UTC
Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:28:42 PM at epicenter

Depth: 40.70 km (25.29 mi)

Posted on 8 May 2011 | 1:28 pm

The one below was 34 miles NE of Fukushima Daiichi...ouch

M 4.8, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan

Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:42:54 UTC
Sunday, May 8, 2011 07:42:54 PM at epicenter

Depth: 53.50 km (33.24 mi)

Posted on 8 May 2011 | 10:42 am

newsblogged.com...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by gr82m8okdok

It's back to showing all 4 R's WOW...R-4 has lost a lot of structure overnight...just wow. And, R-3 is a lost cause. Try full screen mode for more detailed views.

Some lighting, no work appears to be in progress.

news.tbs.co.jp...

Des

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
North side of #4 does look like it has collapsed further.

Kind if hard to pick out any details, especially with the graininess and poor lighting but it does look seriously degraded from yesterday.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

...Delurks...

heya .....

this just keeps getting worse doesn't it.....

I am just shocked at the absolute silence from over in Japan..... this is world changing and not a peep.... shame on them.... they may hide the news but the after effects will not remain hidden. This must go down as one of Japans darkest times.... the EQ/ tsunami and now the complete melt down at that plant.... those poor poor people...

Thank you ALL for such wonderful work in here..... thank you for caring enough to get this out....
you should pull the info you all have on this thread and put it into book form
The untold story !!!!...

peace

...relurks ......

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Des, sure glad we're all on the same team. I'm waiting for the video of the release of radioactive smoke and the ensuing damage to 3 and 4. Keep up the great work.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
North side of #4 does look like it has collapsed further.

Kind if hard to pick out any details, especially with the graininess and poor lighting but it does look seriously degraded from yesterday.

Morning SFA...

Mind you, this is my "gut" speaking. I personally feel, R-4 had a major event night before last, my time. I feel probably a fire event. Yes, I too see the further collapse of the N. side. A good amount of the recent EQ.s have been very close to Fukushima Daiichi. All that movement, has taken a dire toll, on the integrity of all the structures.

What's really sad for me, four to five weeks ago, I held onto hope, that maybe, just maybe...they could, in some miraculous turn of events, turn things around. TEPCO would come to their senses, and get outside help. I hate this sinking feeling of doom and dread.

Add to that, watching with my own eyes, on a daily basis, the apparent, slow-mo implosion, of deadly killing machines.

Where is the hope SF...we should have some kind of hope...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I just keep looking at it from the perspective of how bad it could have been.

Granted TEPCO have been lying their butts off, concealing the true scope and magnitude of this event and flat-out abusing their workers but they have managed to pull some rabbits out of hats and managed to keep the djinn from fully exiting the bottle.

In that I find hope. Maybe whatever they are planning is going to work and mitigate the damage. Maybe they will find a solution to the constant production of various nasty "iums". Maybe they will be able to contain these beasts before they become an extinction event for the Japanese people and the northern Pacific.

The downside is they have to get lucky every single time just to keep the status quo. Those reactors only have to get lucky once and we are screwed.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Then I too, shall grab onto your hope...it's the only one left I suppose.

Des

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

TEPCO opens doors of troubled No. 1 reactor building

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Tokyo Electric Power Co. said the doors of the No. 1 reactor building at the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant were opened Sunday, paving the way for the utility to proceed with efforts to stabilize the damaged reactor.

The move came after the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency gave the go-ahead, saying it has assessed that opening the double-entry doors at the troubled facility would not have serious impact on the environment.

Tokyo Electric, also known as TEPCO, said it plans to have workers go inside the reactor building at around 4 a.m. Monday to measure the levels of radioactivity inside.

Source

Hope they are measuring the levels outside Unit 1 as well now. What doors are these exactly? TEPCO makes it sound like the building doors, but that does not compute as this building is already open air since the hydrogen explosion. These doors must be to a containment area maybe? Of course, that is leaking too so....

TEPCO information has a half life of five minutes...as compared to other things coming from this plant.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Looks like Ma Nature is going to stir the pot in Japan in about 5 days....
We'll need to keep an eye (pun intended) on that forecast...

More info at:
www.usno.navy.mil...
edit on 8-5-2011 by Tworide because: added text

edit on 8-5-2011 by Tworide because: new map

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
In thinking about the events hat have happened and hose yet to come I have felt moved to write these few haikus. Apologies for my abuse and probable mutilation of the form.

The globe has shaken
Wrath of the sea was made known
The wound is gaping

Horror has a name
Fukushima Dai-ichi
Monster awakened

The Tepco execs
Masters of double speaking
Lies are obvious

Vision averted
Nothing to see here, move on
Watch what we tell you

Cannot silence us
ATS will not falter
The drumbeat rolls on

Again my most abject apologies if any of these rub anyone the wrong way but these have been rattling around my head for a while and I felt some here could appreciate them.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Do you think that could be part of the red concrete pump putting water into the SFP? If you look closely at you're unenhanced photos there appears to be an arm coming up from below. Looks like they decided to just stick it through an open panel then through the top of the building. I always wondered why they didn't do that at the beginning. Maybe they were concerned about damage to the nozzle section from falling debris.

As for the apparent destruction of the building, I've compared before and after photos and I just don't see it. #4 looks pretty much as it did before. Second, can someone tell me how you're seeing the north side of the building? From this vantage point I can only see the south and west. I assume people understand we're only looking at the top 3 panels (out of 6?), the parts that sustained most of the damage in the explosions. The bottom half of the buildings are cut off by a ridge or hill.

edit on 8-5-2011 by mrbillshow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by imlite

If this is the pool that caught fire on May 7 they refilled it pretty fast! Something is not squaring here. I call BS on this video - not #4, maybe taken from another intact pool.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

After taking some time off to fix my computer, I opened my message box and found only one reply and it needs to be put to rest.
Simply put, I found the paper backed up and clarified many of things talked about here.
I also found it to be the often asked for compact version people ask about.
It is to bad there are a few that just won't read something that they did not publish them selves or came from Rush Limbaugh.
I come here for the links, so I can judge things for my self and use it to justify or debunk those who get so caught up in posting their opinions that they forget or don't have time to read what the experts in the field are publishing.
I did not come here to join a faturinty, I came here to support the cause and get information.
I will do so at my leisure and continue to do so until this thread is dead.
By the way, thanks for the stars and keep up the fight, but let's keep the personal attacks to a minimum.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm following this thread for last 200 or so pages. I would like to express many thanks to all contributors. There is nothing more what I can say. Keep good spirit, because you are beacon in this dark time.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad2
I'm following this thread for last 200 or so pages. I would like to express many thanks to all contributors. There is nothing more what I can say. Keep good spirit, because you are beacon in this dark time.

This.
I've followed the crisis here from page 1, although i rarely post, this is the most dynamic source of information out there.
This thread has managed to stay vibrantly alive thanks to all of your contributions.
Much appreciated.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by imlite

If this is the pool that caught fire on May 7 they refilled it pretty fast! Something is not squaring here. I call BS on this video - not #4, maybe taken from another intact pool.

Now - there was a problem with this video. When looking for information for uploading to YouTube I found that this video had all references to May 8 but no confirmation of it being taken on May 8 - standard denyability tactic. I suspect it is the next part of the video taken on April 28.

Looking at the video has anyone noticed at 0.13 - 0.14 (bottom left ) the 'object' (hand) moving with the camera and above that another object moving again with the camera?

The gate to the reactor well 0.18 to 0.27 is intact. It was supposedly damaged in the hydrogen blast allowing water to enter the pool from the reactor well quenching the melting rods?

I don't think the amount of damage to the fuel rods is enough to create the hydrogen blast?

If this is the SFP4 we will need other theories as to what caused the problems in unit 4. I wonder if the reactor was being reloaded (or unloaded) during the power out?, and the problems unit 4 has had are from rods remaining in the reactor well?

Then again maybe this isn't SFP4

edit on 8/5/11 by imlite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
reply to post by Hellhound604

Do you think that could be part of the red concrete pump putting water into the SFP? If you look closely at you're unenhanced photos there appears to be an arm coming up from below. Looks like they decided to just stick it through an open panel then through the top of the building. I always wondered why they didn't do that at the beginning. Maybe they were concerned about damage to the nozzle section from falling debris.

As for the apparent destruction of the building, I've compared before and after photos and I just don't see it. #4 looks pretty much as it did before. Second, can someone tell me how you're seeing the north side of the building? From this vantage point I can only see the south and west. I assume people understand we're only looking at the top 3 panels (out of 6?), the parts that sustained most of the damage in the explosions. The bottom half of the buildings are cut off by a ridge or hill.

edit on 8-5-2011 by mrbillshow because: (no reason given)

here is the latest enhanced pic, and it appears as though the red pump has been moved by somebody..... or maybe it is invisible during daytime :

and zoomed into the damaged building

seeing that I don't see those glowing spot (or is it the red concrete pump), I must assume that it has been moved .... or if it was a fire or something glowing hot, it has cooled down
edit on 8/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: added a zoomed out pic for clarity

top topics

<< 840  841  842    844  845  846 >>

join