It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 841.htm
<< 838  839  840    842  843  844 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Another... 25 miles SW of Fukushima Daiichi...

M 4.6, eastern Honshu, Japan
37.128°N 140.654°E

Saturday, May 7, 2011 22:11:12 UTC
Sunday, May 8, 2011 07:11:12 AM at epicenter

Depth: 50.50 km (31.38 mi)

Posted on 7 May 2011 | 10:11 pm

newsblogged.com...

ETA:...take a look at LIVE WC...R3 is almost all gone...USE FULL SCREEN MODE FOR DETAIL. news.tbs.co.jp...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Hi Des,
I just have a comment...

When I pulled-up the wc on full screen, I couldn't see too good, so I pressed my laptop screen further open to change the contrast, and I noticed something glowing at the unit #2 on the right side, looks like it is from a building hidden by unit #2? It flickers unlike a normal steady glowing lamp/light.

Your avatar kinda makes me want to offer you a tissue...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Hey Love,

Yeppers...there is that bright light on the lower right of R-2. Someone else, sorry can't remember who, posted a shot of that same, or similar light, a few nights back. It is pretty intense for daytime, that's for sure.

Des

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by kdog1982

Awesome links and a very good read.
Thank you!

You are more than welcome.I don't know as much as you peeps do,but when ever I come across something
from other sources,I feel that I need to let you guys know.
We are all in this together,the world that is.

edit on 7-5-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Photos from last night wc on twitpic. Yes lots of action. Scary action.

photos

lead to source

Live feed web cam is now down.
edit on 7-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: added pic

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Photos from last night wc on twitpic. Yes lots of action. Scary action.

Yea the cam is down and I wan't able to get into ATS earlier.
Could anyone tell me what is going on or they think is going
on with the pics, your opinions of course.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

TY DWW...plus, it was all blowing inland. Contrary to a certain poster's insistence that all he could "see" was the everyday blah blah blah...I think, along with others here...this is indeed, a significant, and very scary event. BTW, I've not been able to access the WC for the last 15 mins.... news.tbs.co.jp...

Des

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
www.dhhs.nh.gov/media/pr/05062011water.htm

DHHS Releases Latest Drinking Water Radiation Test Results

Public Information Office
(603) 271-4051
Twitter: NHDHHSPIO

Division of Public Health Services
Publish Date:
May 6, 2011

Concord, NH – The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Division of Public Health Services (DPHS) Radiochemistry Laboratory has completed additional testing and analysis of surface water samples to determine if radiation related to the nuclear crisis in Japan was present. The samples were collected from the cities of Berlin, Concord, Keene, Laconia, Manchester, Nashua and Portsmouth. Results reveal that no radioiodine and/or any other nuclear power plant related radionuclides were identified in any of the water samples.

“These results further assure us that our drinking water is safe,” said DHHS Public Health Director Dr. José Montero. “At this point, we will not be announcing any further test results if they continue to be below the limit of detection for our lab equipment. However, we will continue our increased surveillance and testing until the situation in Japan subsides.”

Staff from the Department of Environmental Services (DES) collected the water samples and worked with DPHS staff to report the results.

DPHS routinely collects and analyzes hundreds of environmental samples each year around the 10-mile emergency planning zones of both VY and Seabrook Station nuclear power plants to monitor air, soil, ground and surface water, and plants. No radiation levels above what occurs naturally in the environment have been found.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Good find!
I took it upon myself to grab and post this pic;

Pardon me, DWD is on top!!

edit on (5/7/1111 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

TY jjjtir...I think/hope testing was done, due to requests from people wanting to know if their water is safe. Good for folks in keeping the pressure on the agencies, who's job it is to do testing. We should all be going to the home sites of our respective States, and letting them know, we are watching them. Better safe than sorry...imo.

Des

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Good job Love....Live WC is still inop, hope we get it back, as today is still the 8th in Japan. I don't trust those lying sacks of sh+t... Excuse my harsh language. But, that is just the way I feel. At least other Folks have screen shots and vids. TEPCO can't take those back.

Des

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This site has comparison shots from the live cam - May 7 vs. May 3. They're not great but maybe some of the experts can get something from them. Does anyone here have saved shots from before May 7?

lucaswhitfield

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yes I'm watching this. They weren't wrong, eh. The 8th, so 7th for us.

Fukushima Daiichi Possible Reactor Fires - May 7th 2011

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
This site has comparison shots from the live cam - May 7 vs. May 3. They're not great but maybe some of the experts can get something from them. Does anyone here have saved shots from before May 7?

lucaswhitfield

Just to repost a cashed page;
source

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I'm hoping Silverlok and others get a chance to view these images and videos and weigh in. To me? Just an observer like many others on here from day one...I would lay down a bet that three and four just went way south in an "event" Those were not benign happenings overnight. Many have been saying it was coming. Temps were rising in three. The SPF in 4 was also a ticking time bomb. Something went very wrong. Just an untrained opinion. Look forward to our experts. If they did have criticality events, fires, etc., there should have been an immediate notice to the press and neighboring countries as required when major radiation releases occur. Where is that notice? ^again with the TEPCO crickets*

I think we REALLY need to understand what happened there last night. There is no way that was minor radiation. It's hard to imagine how truly horrible that steam and smoke must be. No immediate threat verbage just does not ring true by my way of hearing - we will see what they say...very late and several yen short.

Like you...I'm asking what others think may have happened. Can't be good.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Fires, that is not good at al!!. That
had to cause damage and radiation
flow. I was hoping it was
steam but I can tell now that it is
smoke.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
As you know, I follow utube posters...this is one re: the 8th of May date and radiation release memos. We've all heard of the memos in the past few days, but what I find interesting with this vid, is the poster talks about the censorship he, and other utube Japan posters he knows, are having their vids yanked off utube with no warning, nor reason given...you should give a listen to the end of this vid....he's already had 18 vids pulled in the past few days, and doesn't know how long, nor if this one will remain.

Des

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
LIVE WC back online...lot of light action at base of R-3...

news.tbs.co.jp...

ETA: use full screen mode, and tilt monitor back a little for excellent contrast image detail angle.

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: link

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
hi everyone,

i watched it all as it happened, in horror & disbelief, to the point where i almost forgot to get screengrabs... i managed a couple, but those already posted, & of course, the vid are far superior in demonstrating the full extent of what was happening

initially, as it was very windy, it was difficult to ascertain if it was steam or smoke... then it got worse, at both 3 & 4... i debated with my boyfriend about what we were seeing... the way the wind was carrying the plumes, just didn't fit right with the thought that it was steam, the plumes carried on for too long(?) just as can be seen in the vid & pics

as time went on, the plumes appeared much darker, & very smoke-like... i was convinced by then it was indeed smoke, & my bf agreed

at one point, the whole of reactor 3 & 4 were totally obscured by a dark area - it's especially visible on #'s 27 & 28 of the pics DWW posted... it was super-scary to see this, not knowing what the hell was gonna happen next, after a minute or so (?) the reactors were visible again, but still with massive belching plumes

i'm so grateful to whomever caught it all with the vid & screenshots

i'll still post mine if you want.... i also have a couple from may 5th where there's white plumes from reactors 2, 3 & 4, & a close-up of #3 from a few hours ago

not a very good analysis, but i thought i'd let you know what i thought as it was happening
edit on 7-5-2011 by pattonisit because: mikey

edit on 7-5-2011 by pattonisit because: shpelling

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
^5 kdog for that caltech article, excellent find! Between work and home I haven't had the chance to dig into this just yet, but I will and I'll bring back any interesting bits.

Des, I noticed the light action right away (have a 42 in ch plasma I sit across the room from with pretty good resolution and can zoom in a fair ways without too much distortion) while watching the live feed for a bit; I need a setup like Ozymandias has:

So I can do some proper analysis on events.

As to the images and video from last night's release. I would say that it was steam rather than smoke because it was dissipating, although it did persist for some time. I believe that it was only reactors 3 & 4 that were boiling off water furthermore I believe that what you are seeing from #2 is actually the steam coming off and being blown "behind" 2 and then out to sea. It's readily apparent that the wind was blowing at a good clip.

I live near some of the USAs top petroleum refineries and know what steam versus smoke looks like, and what we're seeing is steam.

I will say that was a LOT of steam that was visible and that it was very thick.

If we knew the temp, humidity, and barometric pressure I bet we could figure out how long it would take a given amount of steam to evaporate also allowing us to figure out how much water was lost in the time the video ran for. That would, in turn, lead us to the temperatures being generated to cause that amount of boiling.

I am guessing (complete layperson's assessment throughout this by the way, in case anyone needs it pointed out) that the true measurements of radiation that Tepco has has been telling them that there was a criticality event brewing within these reactors that no amount of water would be able to quell, resulting in the aforementioned release of radiation.

If they know the amount of corium that's at the base of these wells, they will have a pretty accurate reading on the amount of activity they can expect and the outcome of that activity; heat, radiation, possible further structural degradation, etc. This would give them a reasonably precise way of determining when and how much radiation will be forthcoming from the beast they've been trying to tame.

But what do I know?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Isn't steam normally white?

top topics

<< 838  839  840    842  843  844 >>

join