It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 83.htm
<< 80  81  82    84  85  86 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

yes at first he said spent fuel rods on fire a couple of times....then he said building was on fire...so who knows

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

They were venting the gases from inside the reactor to keep it from blowing up under pressure.

There was hydrogen in the gas that was released, and it flashed/ignited when venting out (as hydrogen is very volatile). That's about the simplest way to put it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I'd like to offer my utmost respect for those poor sorry sob's who are still fighting for time cooling those reactors.

That plant is swiftly becoming hot as hell, and I'd have to say those still there are going to be very sick soon, perhaps dead.

They are fully aware of this, most likely scared pissless, and yet they stay and fight for more time and a miracle that won't happen.

They've got guts.

I wish them luck and hope people remember who bought them time, and at what price.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

You beat me to it. If #2 is breached then radiation levels will rise to the point where nobody can stay and work. Now the spent fuel in #4 is burning adding even more radioactivity to the mix. I think the whole plant is lost & now we're along for the ride.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Remember that it's a translation of what he is saying.

But it's bad news big time.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Originally posted by For(Home)Country

Originally posted by Konah
Radiation levels were incorrectly released as microsieverts. They were just confirmed to be millisieverts.

Yup, Japanese Prime Minister just confirmed this. He said radiation levels were hazardous to human health near the nuclear plants.

Did he provide a number with that? Earlier I posted it was 8,217 milli-Sieverts (8.2 SV), but the kyodo news website actually said 8,217 micro-Sieverts (0.0082 SV).

If it's actually milli-Sierverts then I will update my post and get the right information out.

He clarified that it was milli, not micro.

just verified.

www.livestation.com...

8 siervert is very deadly.

en.wikipedia.org...

The remaining 50 people are heroes.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Deathstarr54054 because: (no reason given)

link   

Japan PM Says Radiation Has Spread From Damaged Reactors

From Foxnews

link goes to a video interactive.foxnews.com...

link   
guys im scared

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcatcatcatxx

how close to the plants are you? are you able to travel away from the area?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
They're saying that 400 mSv is the largest detected right now... Seems kind of contradictory.

However, they stated that 100mSv is enough to sterilize males, and 500mSv is enough to start a decrease of leukocytes (basically killing your immune system).

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Those guys will stay to the death and a next one will volenteer to do his best or die trying...I agree with you...can I remember how to spell Honor and does Valor look right?

link   
Radiation Levels Up,
4th Reactor On Fire

www.cnn.com...

link   

edit on 14-3-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
theyre saying 30km is the safe zone, i'm waaaaaaay far south of tokyo but i dont know what way the winds blowing etc, will this stuff carry?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Highground

No, they are reporting 400 milliSv, which is 400,000 microSv.
I hope they are OVER-heeding the evacuation area.

I think it's safe to say that the 50 guys staying are giving their lives (literally) right now to try and minimize the damage. My thoughts are with them.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcatcatcatxx

the more distance between you and the plants the better...If you can't travel...stay indoors if the wind is blowing your way from the plants..keep doors and windows closed

link   
reply to post by burntheships

Here's the big thing. I have been screaming at the roof tops for the past several days how the shareholders of the US backed and Internationally funded plans for Nuclear plants both new and the security of the old ones are in the forefront of discussion even after the Japanese situation with the cooling units on these plans in the event of a natural disaster.

Just caught on PBS how Switzerland as well as Germany have put a halt on all plans for their part in building new facilities based on current information on the cooling systems and their vulnerabilities.

US still plans to move forward!

BTS this is the ultimate in Stupidity and far beyond irresponsibility and lack of concern for the lives of millions of people who will be affected when San Andreas and New Madras not to mention impending situations based on the upcoming Solar maximum, Tornadoes, Tsunamis, hurricanes to mention just a few possible threats to National Security.

I will stop here but God knows I have so much more to say on this, Japan was a wake up call, and only those with the highest of calling and responsibility are paying attention rather than blindly moving forward with these asinine plans which you know as well as I the funding has already been promised and spent.

link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

Yes, I very much agree. Much like Chernobyl, there are no doubt people who are now exposing themselves to deadly doses - making their best effort to limit the exposure to people and environment outside the plant. I suspect there may be many more over the next few days. Unfortunately, we probably won't know all their names until days or weeks from now.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Sounds like reactor 4 causing most concern at the moment as the spent fuel rods in it are no longer covered by coolant.

This could mean a further meltdown scenario

live on NHK now

NHK

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Greyling2012

I'm aware.

m = milli
u = micro

400 mSv = 400,000 uSv

new topics

top topics