It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 828.htm
<< 825  826  827    829  830  831 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

yes and ...

O.k. Tepco has added a newish list of numbers to it's reactor data , we now have a dual rating for Temperature on the drywell (going back to april 25, there are number before April 25th but I still haven't ferreted them out ) , which may indicate dry well upper and lower , but if the basements are flooded the 2nd temp may represent sc ( or the sc is the same temp as the lower CV cause they in a hot tub together .)

So we can now make a couple of important observations and guesses:

1) the RPV at #1 has some kind of obstruction and is creating differential pressure zones inside the RPV. whatever is creating the blockage seems to be slightly above where the steam water return line would have re-entered the reactor

The drywell temperature is exactly the same as the bottom of the RPV and indicates something is in the bottom of the drywell heating like mad and boiling near the interface so the water is clearly getting into the rpv from the bottom and leaking out a point that is most likely the water refill line level ( so that water would be probably be ending up in the turbine room or it's basement )

The most likely scenario is that on 3-12 the RPV cap shot upward broke it's flange and fell back down into the RPV with a couple of hundred pounds of fissionable material trapped above it somewhere about mid way down the RPV
The difference in the RPV pressure top and bottom had me scratching my head but this explains it: molten material has kind of sealed the upper portion and the heat/pressure generated in the lower portion cannot fully circulate ( or possibly not circulate at all ) above the blockage(like turning a glass full of air upside down and pushing it under water ) .

The upper pressure (or the RPV) is kind of capping out at .5+ because the upper end of the RPV(core) is opened to the drywell ( CV) which starts leaking at .5 , the fissionable material is hot but not enough to really cook criticality wise that's why we have high temperature low pressure on top and low tempurature ( relative ) high pressure on bottom

simple, so they have to cut a hole in the TDC of the CV cap (thermite) or run water backwards through the steam pipe ( the one that goes to the top ) to get coolant to the upper part of #1 RPV

2) It appears that fissionable material is continuing to build up in the floor / torus area at #2 , and that the addition of seawater to #2 is the cause of the blow-out of #2's SC (torus) as salt water separation in what was probably a still partial core added a rapid increase of hydrogen to the SC where aerosolized fission materials had accumulated and probably dried out the water in the torus ( so a sudden burst of hydrogen gas sprayed onto some hot coals, boom )

It also appears that the RPV and CV are open to atmospheric pressure at or near the top of both structures ( both cap flanges or seals may have failed ) and the pressure in both is entirely from steam ( as it is lower than air pressure and consistence with steam at those temperatures), this is consistant with Tepco's report of the #2 building having 90% humidity (near ground level)

Also it seems as though the pool at #2 is finding a way to discharge poolium down through the core at periodic intervals where it is accumulating either at the bottom of the CV or in the basement of the structure and is responsible for the periodic radiation flares ( like April 25th)

3) three appears to not only have corium and poolium in the basement/torus (boiling the water happily away) but also a mass of fissionable material appears to be getting ready to go critical in the bottom of the CV, I speculate the pool at three has found it's way into the CV and is the cause of this most recent heat-up . if it continues at this rate I'd say another burst of radiation is due no later than Cinco De Mayo (5-5), the empty RPV 'tube ' continues to act like a thermal chimney with low (1/10th) air pressure and high temperature , so I cannot attribute the releases entirely to steam , certainly we are getting hydrogen, and hcl steam , but I believe we may be getting some more exotic low vapor pressure rapid expansion gas out of that one too , what I haven't figured yet ....
edit on 4-5-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

The ministry of defense has failed to update their thermal imagery page since teh 26th. I do not think this is a co-incidence as it appears the pool at four was heading for another criticality ( probably happend 29/30th), and #3 has been adding stuff to the floor of the CV like mad ( we might see something exciting there in the next couple of days ) , and clearly they haven't figured #1 out yet so are sitting on the pictures , i bet we get some tomorrow or thursday at the latest

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

3) three appears to not only have corium and poolium in the basement/torus (boiling the water happily away) but also a mass of fissionable material appears to be getting ready to go critical in the bottom of the CV, I speculate the pool at three has found it's way into the CV and is the cause of this most recent heat-up . if it continues at this rate I'd say another burst of radiation is due no later than Cinco De Mayo (5-5), the empty RPV 'tube ' continues to act like a thermal chimney with low (1/10th) air pressure and high temperature , so I cannot attribute the releases entirely to steam , certainly we are getting hydrogen, and hcl steam , but I believe we may be getting some more exotic low vapor pressure rapid expansion gas out of that one too , what I haven't figured yet ....

Could it be gassified sodium or chlorine? They stopped using seawater because of the salt buildup, and have been using fresh water since, right? Or have they switched back to salt water?

Either way, what I'm wondering is, would it be hot enough near whatever monster is going critical in that mess to strip the salt down to it's component elements (NaCl) and boil it off? Do either of these two present the phsycial nd chmeical profile you're wondering about, ie rapidly expanding gas etc?

Or am I utterly clueless here, it's ok if I am.
edit on 4-5-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typos, ugh

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Full article from english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/05/89167.html now on Mainichi.
-
Seabed radiation 100-1,000 times normal level off Fukushima plant
(Mainichi Japan) May 4, 2011

mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110504p2g00m0dm009000c.html

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Radiation readings have risen to 100-1,000 times the normal level on the Pacific seabed near the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the operator said Tuesday.

The high levels of radioactive materials were detected in samples collected Friday from the seabed at two points 20-30 meters deep in the first contamination probe of the seabed by Tokyo Electric Power Co., it said.

The seabed samples collected 3 kilometers from Minamisoma and 3 km from Naraha, both in Fukushima Prefecture, contained 98-190 becquerels of radioactive iodine per kilogram and 1,200-1,400 becquerels of radioactive cesium.

(...)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

NO not off at all, I am wondering that although I do not think the salt build up at #3 was as bad , but...seawater could have been trapped in the bottom of the CV this whole time , I think the worst we'd see is surface boiling creating chloride compounds in rapid cycles ( mostly HCl ) which would rapidly react with the water ( once it left the suface boil zone and the oxygen sodium reactions simply lowering the boiling temp of water and adding lots of heat energy to the corium heat-up process until the sodium metals migrated to regions that could form naoh, which should re-disperse the salt no explosively ...

I think some of the exotics are perhaps hydrochlorofluorocarbons ( taking some of the clhoride, or 'gasified ' as it were ..these would be extremely bad as they will definitely get to high altitudes )
)

damn I think we may be getting methyl chloride :

"Most chloromethane is prepared by reacting methanol with hydrogen chloride, according to the chemical equation

CH3OH + HCl → CH3Cl + H2O

This can be carried out either by bubbling hydrogen chloride gas through boiling methanol with or without a zinc chloride catalyst, or by passing combined methanol and hydrogen chloride vapors over an alumina catalyst at 350 °C.
A smaller amount of chloromethane is produced by heating a mixture of methane and chlorine to over 400 °C. However, this method also results in more highly chlorinated compounds such as methylene chloride and chloroform and is usually only used when these other products are also desired.

Further reaction of chloromethane with chlorine can produce dichloromethane, trichloromethane (known as chloroform) and tetrachloromethane (also known as carbon tetrachloride)." -wikipedia

this is the difference mox heat makes

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Good timing as this could answer why #3 hadn't burned off all it's salt yet ..... if three and four are sharing flooded basements then it's likely we have either ground cracks or a break in the seawater heat exchanger ( my bet ) that is allowing constant fresh supplies of salt into #3 (and 4).
Which means this thing is still polluting the ocean ( no wonder greenpeace is not being let within 12 miles) and may have been pumping out methyl chloride since as early as 3-21
edit on 4-5-2011 by Silverlok because: n for no good reason

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by Moonbeams771

your re posting old stuff and or ripping off other peoples work.
Please bring in new information or at least read the thread before you post.
Thank you

Sorry, didn't mean to "rip off" anyone's work. I thought I was just helping to provide some info but I guess not. I will leave it to the rest of you.

Keep up the good work anyway ATS - its' important that Fukushima is not completely forgotten.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

In an 828 page thread information is bound to double by all of us from time to time. Please continue to bring in the nuggets of information. Much of what we are learning bears repeating several times. I, for one, have absolutely no problem when one of us repeats information or forgets or fails to remember a specific link posted "somewhere" in this thread. Information is not exclusive. Please reconsider. No one posting now or following should be told to go back and read the thread. We are all trying to remember a vast amount of information and are going to forget. We are not only reading and following this thread we are scanning the data outside to bring here for analysis and to add to our intelligence soup. Remembering what we read where (here or beyond) is sometimes impossible. The enemy is those reactors that no one knows how to bring under control. Not anyone here bringing information to share with other focused researchers. Peace.

edit on 4-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm sorry but this is just man(woman)slaughter. This building is where some workers have been sleeping on floors and are spending most of their time when not out on the grounds. This building was "the shelter" and is was not being checked for radiation levels? Lies, lies, lies and willfully putting workers in harms way.Someone checked the levels and didn't reveal the data to the workers. If these two women were exposed - they all have been exposed to these levels and beyond inside their own designated safe building.

TEPCO neglected radiation checks in building where two women absorbed high doses

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) failed to check the levels of radiation inside a key operation center at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant before two female workers were exposed to high levels of radiation there.

The two workers have recently been exposed to radiation higher than the legal limit for female workers -- lower than that for men -- of 5 millisieverts over a three-month period. For about two weeks after the March 11 earthquake, the utility did not check the radiation levels inside a special quake-resistant building where the two workers were exposed. About 200 workers use the building on the premises of the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant each day as a base to deal with the ongoing crisis.

Link

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Japanese graffiti artist adds Fukushima disaster to famous A-bomb mural

One of the most famous pieces of art in Tokyo is "Myth of Tomorrow," a mural by Picasso-influenced artist Taro Okamoto, depicting the horrors of the atomic bomb. Over the weekend, someone added a new panel to the mural.

The new addition depicts the towers of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant melting down. And whoever did it, they managed to copy the style of the original mural pretty closely. The new panel was on display for a few hours, before the police took it down — it caused no damage to the original mural, just added to it.

Source
Taro Okamoto
Source
Source

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
A 30 minute documentary looking inside the lives of exploited workers in Japan's nuclear industry. Subtitled in English.

FILM: Nuclear Ginza (1995)

Röhl, Nicholas. 1995. Kakusareta Hibaku Rōdō: Nihon no Genpatsu Rōdōsha. 隠された被曝労働 – 日本の原発労働者 物語 [Nuclear Ginza]. YouTube video, 30 min, posted by “aikoku369”, Mar 30, 2011, from www.youtube.com...

Nicholas Röhl, a student of Japan’s master director Imamura Shohei, produced this 30-minute documentary in 1995 for Channel 4. The film exposes how Japan’s nuclear energy industry used disadvantaged people in the 1970s and ’80s to carry out highly dangerous manual labor inside their power stations. The story follows the photojournalist/ anti-nuclear activist Kenji Higuchi as he exposes the exploitation of the “untouchables” who were pulled out of the slums of Tokyo and Osaka in order to work while exposed to radiation, often without their knowledge. Referring to the tacit cooperation and close ties between the Japanese government and the country’s nuclear industry, a man notes in one scene that “democracy has been destroyed where nuclear power stations exist.” The film shows how Japan, having suffered nuclear attacks in the past, remarkably transformed itself within a few decades into one of the most “nuclearized” nations worldwide. This documentary film has special significance in the light of the recent Fukushima nuclear crisis, in which media reports about the exploitation of unskilled laborers in the plant spawned a major controversy.
– Christian Dimmer

Teach 3/11
Bold added

Part 1 of 3

Part 2 of 3

Part 3 of 3

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Art statements kick ass when executed perfectly like that.

Forgive my ignorance of chemistry, it's one thing I never clicked with at school, however I'm wondering why salt in the reactors would not dissolve, with fresh water being sprayed in after a while? Or is it a temperature/pressure issue? Thanks.
edit on 4/5/11 by GhostR1der because: commar

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Latest radiation readings and maps from Speedi...in pdf format linked.

The wind is no longer going off shore.

Link

Link to all readings (in Japanese)

Morning shift clocking out.

ETA: Crimeny (see below)

Owners of Nine Mile Point Unit 1 probing Monday night's automatic shut down

Link to ATS thread

edit on 4-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Greetings Fellow collective brain cells...I've been only reading for a bit the past week, busy IRL. Great work done here. Kudos to all keeping a candle in the window.

At least there are kindred minds still bubbling to the surface.

Japan’s Fukushima Power Station Now Beyond Anyone’s Ability To Control

| Theodora Filis | May 4, 2011 12:30 pm

In an attempt to preserve some credibility for the nuclear power industry, Japanese authorities tried to use reassuring language in their statements, and were hesitant to compare what was going on at Fukushima to Chernobyl.

Japan is heavily invested in nuclear energy, so it is not surprising that they would want to play down the damage. However, considering the danger this situation poses to the Japanese people, and those in the region, the Japanese government had a duty to be honest about the seriousness of this situation.

Considering a 2005 report, from the National Academies of Science, that any level of radiation, however small, can cause cancer, Japan’s situation is now considered deadly and will be for decades.

The Japanese people have displayed incredible courage, order and decorum in the face of unmitigated disaster. Journalists, volunteers and aid workers from around the world have gone beyond the call of duty to extend help to the hardest hit zones, but this crisis is now beyond anyone’s ability to control.
www.ukprogressive.co.uk...

Good to be back.....

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

Art statements kick ass when executed perfectly like that.

Forgive my ignorance of chemistry, it's one thing I never clicked with at school, however I'm wondering why salt in the reactors would not dissolve, with fresh water being sprayed in after a while? Or is it a temperature/pressure issue? Thanks.
edit on 4/5/11 by GhostR1der because: commar

I think we are getting renewed salt thought seawater getting into 3/4's basements from the ocean , and salt tends to precipitate to high heat (surface boiling would allow this and keep the sodium meltal trapped in the water (naoh) and corium /poolium while freeing the chloride ions, it's basically a chemical bonds strength versus an energy and water solubility balancing trade off act ... and after all I am only guessing)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is the reason for continuing to put innocent people in harms way...money
TEPCO is smack dab in the middle of the biggest power grab in Japan's recent history. Across the board, to the absolute detriment of the people of Japan. By the time all the power grubbing combatants pull their teeth out of TEPCO, to see who ended up with the largest bite...Japan, as we know it, will no longer exist.

By Ashby Jones Wall Street Journal

blogs.wsj.com...

Here's the problem. Tokyo Electric Power Co., which supplies Japan with more than one-third of its total power, is on the hook for damages stemming from the post-earthquake-and-tsunami nuclear accident.

But the damages, which are still mounting, could reach tens of billions of dollars.

It’s a sum that Tepco simply doesn’t have. At the same time, letting the company go under isn’t an option, given its role as a regional monopoly that provides all of Tokyo with its power.

And, here below are the greedy beasts in the fight, and what they are fighting for...

The argument pits numerous stakeholders against each other, including executives at the utility hoping to reduce the company’s liability, bankers and investors wanting to protect their balance sheets, and politicians worried about reactions from voters who may be hit with higher tax and electricity rates

Not anything about people, about farmers, about fishermen, or...about the children. Money and Power. uh huh...and not telling the truth about anything to anyone.

Des

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Here are some of the comments on that article;

[staff removed off site content that is not linked]

edit on 5/4/2011 by tothetenthpower because: Remvoed conted

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Since TEPCO went for our diaper fix on the leaks...I'm feeling in a kinda silly mood. Here's another idea TEPCO. It came to me while thinking about cleaning a cat box today...yup...clumping kitty litter mixed with boron. Think about it TEPCO. Mix boron with clumping kitty litter. Pour in areas you think might be leaking...viola, it forms hard clumps, our little robot friends could scoop up, place them in a robot bin, and trundle it away to be replaced by more clumping mixture. .Hell it's at least an idea.

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Glad to see you read my last contribution and used it.

"They can make the thing look like a piece of art like the pyramids."

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Seriously, that is not a bad idea and original.
Glad you took time away and got RL things done.
Great post....

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

You spell it out very well and I hope "Tepco" gets on the same wave length soon.
What do you think of Des's kitty litter idea?

edit on 4-5-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 825  826  827    829  830  831 >>

join