It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 820.htm
<< 817  818  819    821  822  823 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Please, do not go back to lurker mode. I will stomp my widdle feets, and pout for a bit, if you do. We need your mind in this think tank. Do not feel that what you bring to the table, in quest for truth, has no value. One never knows, what grain they bring, will turn into the catalyst that was needed, to connect the dots.

Des

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

No, you are not done here. I, me, look forward to your posts. They give me the much needed insight, so desperately needed by I, me. to better form ideas. Ghost, don't you dare let bully, malformed, brain cells, chase you away. I, me, need your VALUABLE insight/input. I appreciate your time, and effort, to bring info from the source/Japan, to our table.

To know, and I do believe you, that Japan has no stockpile of what they need, is flabbergasting to me. All it might take, is the next EQ, to make this info one of the most despicable things I've heard yet from this government. It also makes me wonder, if the reason is, that there are NO MORE SUPPLIES LEFT, for them to stockpile from

Bright Blessings MG...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I think incompetence and negligence was a good chunk of the reason for this unfolding disaster as well. After seeing the way Katrina and the BP spill was handled, I didn't expect much competency.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Some of my memories of being in Japan in the month of May include rainstorms and typhoons. I woke up one morning to see on BBC a super-typhoon Nida in a track towards Tokyo Bay. I told the guys at the plant, but they didn't seem quite as concerned as me about it, but I considered any storm blowing 160mph to be something to worry about. We drove some scary mountain roads in torrential rain that day from Nagoya to Hamamatsu (tip - you can drive thru the toll gates at 72kph OK, but at 73kph you may need a windshield and new teeth) and I caught a train back to the city. I actually made a mental note of the location of the embassy when I got back to Toyko. However it was already turning east (typical path up the coast when crossing in the subtropical area) when I got back to the city. It was just a lot of rain, but the flooding was significant in some areas...

"In Japan, heavy rains produced by the outer bands of Nida triggered flash flooding and landslides in Fukushima Prefecture. Several highways were shut down due to rising waters or debris and a few homes also were inundated.[7] In Mito, Ibaraki, 360 homes were left without power after high winds knocked down electrical wires. A 10 m (33 ft) section of highway in the city also collapsed."

from Wikipedia, Typhoon Nida 2004.

With the significant ground subsidence in the same areas increasing their risk to flooding, typhoon season FAST approaching, and the ground still shaking, its hard to see things getting any better especially with controlling the flow of contaminated water. Mother Nature will be increasing that amount of water by magnitudes above what I believe Tepco is preparing to deal with, as they have proven to make their calculations based on their fantasy of best-case scenario.

My other random thoughts...I first thought that maybe a lot of Japanese might relocate here if the SHTF (it hasn't already???) but the south could be looking a little too familiar to home, we have disaster zones, shocked people wondering around areas that have been blown apart, and with (sadly and unfortunately) dead and missing, and even a reactor in questionable shutdown (by the way, have they got R1 at Browns Ferry in cold shutdown yet?) a little shaking from New Madrid would seal the deal....

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
There is a translation of a Japanese video of Michio Ishikawa, of the Japan Nuclear Technology, discussing Fukushima. He's pretty damning of TEPCO. Here are few excepts:

Fukushima I Nuke Plant: Ishikawa of JNTI Talks about Reactor Core Conditions

Asahi TV on April 29.

About the condition of the reactor cores:

"I believe the fuel rods are completely melted. They may already have escaped the pressure vessel. Yes, they say 55% or 30%, but I believe they are all melted down. When the fuel rods melt, they melt from the middle part on down.

"My old colleague contacted me and shared his calculation with me. At the decay heat of 2000 kilowatt... There's a substance called cobalt 60. Highly radioactive, needs 1 to 1.5 meter thick shields. It kills people at 1000 curies. He calculated that there are 10 million curies of cobalt-60 in the reactor core. If 10% of cobalt-60 in the core dissolve into water, it's 1 million curies."

About "war" at Fukushima I Nuke Plant:

"Take the debris clean-up job for example. They are picking up the debris and putting them in containers, as if this is the peacetime normal operation. This is a war. They should dig a hole somewhere and bury the radioactive debris and clean up later. What's important is to clear the site, using the emergency measures. Build a bridgehead to the reactor.

The show's host says "But wait a minute, Mr. Ishikawa, you are a proponent of nuclear power and we expected to hear from you that everything is going well at Fukushima..."

Mr. Ishikawa answers, "Well, if I'm allowed to tell a lie..."

Now, Mr. Tetsunari Iida speaks, agreeing to Mr. Ishikawa's "war" analogy:

"I totally agree with Mr. Ishikawa's assessment of the plant, and that this is a war. The government simply orders TEPCO to "do it". But it is like the Imperial General Headquarters (大本営) on the eve of the Sea of Japan Naval Battle during the Russo-Japanese War [in 1905] ordering merchant ship TEPCO to attack [the imperial Russian navy].

"The government should appoint a commander. TEPCO has a limit as a private business. No one knows what to do. We have to seek the advice from the best and the brightest in the world."

Finally...

Mr. Hasegawa of Chunichi Shinbun jumps in, and says "We took the numbers from the government like 30% core melt as true, and went from there. But then Mr. Ishikawa says it's a total melt."

Then, Kohei Otsuka, the Vice Minister of Health and Welfare and politician from the ruling party (DPJ), sitting right next to Mr. Ishikawa, butts in, and warns everyone: "Since none of us knows for sure the condition of the reactor cores, we shouldn't speculate on a national TV."

Mr. Hasegawa overrides the politician, and says "The real problem is that what no one knows is presented to us every day as if it is a fact, like 30% core melt in the chart."

Full text and video over here: ex-skf.blogspot.com

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This is very, very naughty TEPCO! Protect your workers! No excuses.

Another female worker at nuke plant exposed to radiation above limit

The woman concerned was found to have suffered more internal than external radiation exposure, with the internal exposure reaching 6.71 millisieverts, while she was providing care to workers who had become sick, at a building on-site used as an operation center to deal with the crisis, the utility known as TEPCO said.

TEPCO said that the woman may have inhaled radioactive substances which had been attached to the clothing of other workers in the early days of the crisis because, for some time after the accident, workers were not wearing masks inside the building.

The latest revelation comes after the utility's announcement on Wednesday of the first female radiation worker to be exposed to doses far above the limit for female workers.

The Mainichi Daily

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Important info regarding TEPCO's Fukushima plans:

NISA instruction to TEPCO

NISA, or for those who are recently joined readers, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, has instructed TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) to make a very thorough analysis of various parameters relative to TEPCO's plan to flood the dry well of Fukushima Daiichi No. 1 to a level above that of the active fuel region inside the pressure vessel.

It is beginning to look as if NISA seriously questions this move... not in terms of restoration of core cooling, but rather in terms of building safety and more importantly (and directly) reactor safety in the event of a further earthquake, taking into consideration the large increase in mass that this much water will add to the dry well structure.

This is perhaps one of those watershed moments, because if TEPCO finds that this plan is not safe in this seismic environment (or if NISA doesn't like TEPCO's answer and stops the plan anyway) then this will entirely derail TEPCO's sole plan to restore core cooling in a timely manner.

Atomic Power Review
TEPCO's letter from NISA

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Yesterday in Brief for April 28, 2011
Interfax

www.interfax.com/newsinf.asp?pg=7&id=240160

(...)

*** RUSSIA MUST BECOME GLOBAL LEADER IN NUCLEAR SECURITY - KIRIYENKO

Russia must be one of the global leaders in providing nuclear power security, said Rosatom corporation chief Sergei Kiriyenko, commenting on Russian President Dmitry Medvedev's initiatives to improve the international safety regulations for nuclear power plants.

"There is a set of leading nations in the nuclear power industry with large infrastructure and fundamental knowledge. The Fukushima experience has shown how fundamental knowledge is crucial. In this situation Russia's role is not simply to continue all necessary steps to provide security at its NPPs, but also to be among the global leaders in this area," he said.

(...)

---

Putin criticises Japanese nuclear industry
Agence France-Presse
First Posted 01:03:00 05/01/2011

newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view/20110501-333948/Putin-criticises-Japanese-nuclear-industry

MOSCOW—Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin criticized Japan's nuclear industry on Saturday, questioning the building of plants in seismic zones and its response to the Fukushima disaster.

"The Japanese have a unique situation. I don't know why — it's their choice — they build their plants in seismic zones. The whole of Japan is a seismic zone," Putin said during a meeting of physicists in Penza, south of Moscow.

The premier said he thought that the Japanese authorities should have quickly supplied the Fukushima plant with extra power in order to pump water and cool it down.

"They should have brought in new power generators from other areas of the country in time, but they did not and that's what caused problems," Putin said in a speech published on his official site.

"And you know, these are old facilities, American reactors dating back to the 1970s," he added.

(...)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Yeah let's all do it like the Russians do. Just dump radioactive water in lakes and rivers, doesn't matter when some of those dry up and become exposed and then radioactive material flies off into the atmosphere. Let's build nuclear facilities in the woods and don't worry about forest fires and escaping radioactive waste when radioactive forests burn up in flames. Or just chop down some of those radioactive trees and ship them around the world so unknowing consumers buy radioactive furniture.
edit on 1/5/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

Japan has that many reactors in a seismic zone, and they clearly didn't have ANY safety programs.

They've literally done something that will hurt everyone on the planet, and cause major harm over a lifetime to their own people. Out of Arrogance.

The Japanese government is still doing more to protect the company than the people. A thousand I'm sorries doesn't change that.

What they've done is a crime.

What they are continuing to do is a crime.

And someone needs to look at the Japanese people of today as a warning sign of what happens when a populace is not capable of innovation. I'm sure some people would love it if all people were as unquestioning as the Japanese populace is turning out to be. They are like a dysfunctional family saying that the pedophile Uncle is okay, and hush up.

Somehow, the government of Japan has managed to make a populace of "in-the-box" robots, utterly lacking in innovation or the urge to question.

When I compare Japan to Malaysia or even China, I'm rather horrified. Chinese will do what their are told, but they'll often do it against their better judgement. They at least have the URGE to question. Malaysia embraces innovation to the hilt.

Japan has fostered a culture of checklists. Yep, everything's okay, we checked all the little boxes on the safety form off. Reality doesn't matter when the form is filled out properly. Maybe they can show the form to the radiation atoms currently poisoning their people. "See Mr.Uranium Atom, the checkbox is filled in, you can't give them cancer. I filled it in in TRIPLICATE."

They are either intentionally stalling, or they are massively incompetent.

I think we need to start looking at reasons why they would intentionally be stalling.

edit on 2011/5/1 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

There are iodine pills on stock in shelves at the health food store I go to, and very little of the product is moving.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I am sick and tired of this kind of crap. You and Mr.Bill enjoy your thread. I'm done here.

No!

Don't fall for this or penny ante schoolyard manipulation.

You're smarter than this and a tremendous resource to the thread, it would be a travesty if you let this drive you away.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by loveguy

NO, no, do not go back to lurking.. there is some extremely interesting info there , don't be shy, but the tech is what arnie asked for so it will come under extreme scrutiny , Ill take the frame but I need to understand the source/filters
Thanks.

I used a kodak easy share C143 to record from the TV. I cropped the photos, then sized them down to 975 pixels...As far as filters go, I use windows 7 paint to edit in text and crop after I use windows photo viewer to select auto correct. I wish I hadn't deleted the sd card upon importing it to laptop, so as to upload untouched pics...

"

If you have not taken any films with that sd card, (overwriting it) since you deleted it, if you use a file recovery program you can get those images / movie back.

I've done the same thing a while back. I'm sure some of the more techy folks could point you in the right direction.

M.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

I am sick and tired of this kind of crap. You and Mr.Bill enjoy your thread. I'm done here.

No!

Don't fall for this or penny ante schoolyard manipulation.

You're smarter than this and a tremendous resource to the thread, it would be a travesty if you let this drive you away.

[off-topic] Jumping off the tread is the aim of Mrbill and his cronies, stay and make them lose that bonus check they were promised by TEPCO [/off-topic]

Today's eq off the coast of Japan, not big but REAL close to Fukushima Dai-ichi!
They want to add how much water to the reactor buildings?!?!?
Magnitude 4.5
Date-Time

* Sunday, May 01, 2011 at 02:48:48 UTC
* Sunday, May 01, 2011 at 11:48:48 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.419°N, 141.085°E
Depth 43.5 km (27.0 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances
7.5 miles NNE of Fukushima Dai-ichi
44 km (27 miles) NNE of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
62 km (38 miles) E of Koriyama, Honshu, Japan
66 km (41 miles) SE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
226 km (140 miles) NNE of TOKYO, Japan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 19.4 km (12.1 miles); depth +/- 10.5 km (6.5 miles)
Parameters NST= 82, Nph= 82, Dmin=275 km, Rmss=0.74 sec, Gp=122°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=4
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0003324
edit on 1-5-2011 by Tworide because: grammar

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
And so the new Merry month of May begins...

Asia
Home > Breaking News > Asia > Story
May 1, 2011
Japan unions in May Day call to end nuclear power
Protesters hold anti-nuclear signs during May Day march in Tokyo May 1, 2011. Hundreds of union workers and activists took part indemonstration and demanded a halt to nuclear power plants in Japan. The slogan on the banner reads, 'Stop and dismantle all nuclear power plants'. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

TOKYO - JAPAN'S left-leaning labour confederations on Sunday called for an end to nuclear power generation, in May Day rallies held as emergency workers toiled to bring a quake-hit nuclear plant under control.

'Let us stop the government from promoting nuclear power generation and seek a change to its energy policy,' Sakuji Daikoku, head of the National Confederation of Trade Unions (Zenroren), told a rally in Tokyo.

Japan Communist Party chairman Kazuo Shii also told the gathering at Yoyogi Park: 'We will strongly demand the government make up its mind to withdraw from nuclear power generation and set a programme to reduce nuclear power plants to zero.'

The rally was attended by some 21,000 people, according to the confederation which claims a membership of 1.2 million workers.

Another rally held in Tokyo on Sunday, sponsored by a smaller labour confederation named Zenrokyo, also raised the nuclear issue.

'Let us join our hands in switching Japan's society off from nuclear power,' Social Democratic Party leader Mizuho Fukushima told the Zenrokyo rally at Hibiya Park outside the Imperial Palace. -- AFP www.straitstimes.com...

A principle of mine is...A mind blown is a mind shown. Blown minds in Japan, are leading to unheard of before, actions.

Des

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Today on tv during a Japanese government Diet debate, a government official said the Japanese government currently has only 500 potassium iodide pills. Only 500 pills for a country of 128 million people! Can you say FAIL?

edit on 30-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

I think the question concerning your post wasn't so much the unsual comment by the guv official as much as your conclusion that if the JapGuv had only 500 pills in their immediate possession that those would be the only ones available in the entire country.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Some things just won't go away like TEPCO wants...

Japan nuke workers nearing max exposure

Published: May 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

TOKYO, May 1 (UPI) -- Some nuclear workers at Japan's damaged Fukushima power plant are approaching the maximum allowable annual radiation exposure, power officials said.

Prior to the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that badly damaged four of six reactors at Fukushima, Japanese labor law said the maximum radiation nuclear workers could be exposed to per year was 100 millisieverts. Four days after the disaster, the maximum exposure was increased to 250 millisieverts.

The Tokyo Electric Power Co., which runs the nuclear plant northeast of Tokyo, announced Saturday two male workers who were treated for radiation burns to their feet March 24 were each near the annual maximum of 250 millisieverts, Kyodo News reported. The men had unknowingly been standing and working in radioactive water before they were hospitalized.

Read more: www.upi.com...

In another May 1sst. article...this biting TEPCO'S butt...those pesky feet, keep walking back into the picture...

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- As the nuclear crisis continues at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, two workers, who were previously hospitalized for possible radiation burns, turned out Saturday to have been exposed to radiation levels close to the limit of 250 millisieverts while seven women in affected areas were found with slightly contaminated breast milk.

THIS PART BELOW,from same article, DESERVES ALL CAPS...

n a related development, the government's advisory Nuclear Safety Commission was found the same day to have endorsed a controversial antiradiation measure proposed by the education ministry in just two hours without proper procedures on April 19, government sources said.

Under the measure, schoolchildren and kindergarteners would be limited from outdoor activities when the radiation level reaches 20 millisieverts per year -- 20 times the limit for people to be safely exposed.

The commission's endorsement of the measure was one reason Toshiso Kosako, professor on antiradiation safety measures at the University of Tokyo's graduate school, said he would resign Friday as an adviser to Prime Minister Naoto Kan on the ongoing nuclear crisis.

(Mainichi Japan) May 1, 2011 mdn.mainichi.jp...

"20 times the limit for people to be safely exposed." Read that again folks...it's babies and children they set this limit for.

To put unknowing, innocent children, in the cross hairs....is thinkable to a normal human being.

Des

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks for once again posting important and relevant information to our thread, there are many great posters on this thread and I can not thank all of you enough for your hard work and the time you have spent sharing your informative links, observations, opinions and working hypothesis here!
Many Thanks!
AD

Those that are being disruptive and here to cause problems are just losers..
Nuff said!
edit on 1-5-2011 by AlaskanDad because: made sure there was no mistaking that I was thanking all of the great posters in the thread :-)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
There are iodine pills on stock in shelves at the health food store I go to, and very little of the product is moving.

yeah it was the initial scare that sold out and made people pay $300.00 a bottle on ebay... No problem stocking up now. I just got mine about a week ago. Its just one of the things I hadn't replaced in my kit
Not that they would do me any good anyway

What I am waiting for now is when people start dumping those Geiger counters cheap. I want to upgrade my old NAVY field model... too darn bulky. Hard to lug around while mineral hunting

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

I think incompetence and negligence was a good chunk of the reason for this unfolding disaster as well. After seeing the way Katrina and the BP spill was handled, I didn't expect much competency.

This is actually BIG NEWS... the vice president of TEPCO admitting this is likely unprecedented in Japan

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 817  818  819    821  822  823 >>

join