It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 817.htm
<< 814  815  816    818  819  820 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
We really dont know how extensive any tunnels might be and but they could go on for vast distances under the sea, providing a great deal of empty volume to store waste water.

A few weeks back there was a report of fear of flooding in the subterranean facilities OTHER than the basements... however so far we have not found much more on that. It seemed an odd statement because if the basements are flooded it would seem likely that anything lower would also be flooded. And they did state that the buildings are connected by some tunnels.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
After carefully reviewing the latest video by workers travelling around fukushima dai-ichi plant in a car, I have come to see more in the omissions than what is presented. At one stage on the seaward side of #4 they go past a shack (visible in drone photos) and then are stopped by a barrier with enough signs a blind man couldn't miss it. This region is so important to not enter, that they have also put a layer of bricks and orange plastic roadside barriers on the ground, just past the barrier. It is opposite to poolium falls side, although I have a hunch there is something really nasty on the barrier side - perhaps poolium inside the structure? Also note the colour of the road behind the sign - it's green, they have sprayed that bonding agent there too. They really don't want what's there being spread or coming into contact with people.
They had no trouble driving past the poolium side, when they stopped to do a piece for the camera outside of the vehicle, they did it far away from #4, opposite side to poolium falls and away from the sign/barrier section.

I also noted that #2 and #3 are playing puff the magic dragon, significant amounts of steam being released. Seemed like it originated from the centre of building #3, possibly the reactor but then why is it showing nothing on thermals?

edit2: here is the video the still is from (around 9:20), dancingwithwolves posted it up yesterday www.youtube.com...
Also gotta love the focusing on concrete booms and green goo, none of which stop reactor criticality...
edit on 30/4/11 by GhostR1der because: edit for grammar and original source video link, additional findings

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
after reading this thread I am convinced the best way to deal with nuclear disasters is to prevent them. I know we need energy but energy can come from many sources, not just the big five nuclear, oil, coal, natural gas and hydro.

97 E-Cats In Operation Right Now Accross 4 Countries

Yesterday we found out some amazing information. In one of Andrea Rossi's question and answer sessions on his blog he was asked some questions to which he gave some startling answers.

How many e-cats are in continuous operation today? - 97
How many geographic locations are e-cats running today? - 4
Are there any e-cats running in the US with businesses you own or individuals you trust? - YES

So to recap on this, Rossi is saying that at this moment there are 97 e-cats installed and working accross 4 different countries, with some already installed in the businesses of trusted individuals. The 4 countries are presumably USA (Rossi's Company Leonardo Corp), Italy, Greece and it's anyone's guess what the 4th one is.

Please share this information as far and as wide as possible as we are encountering a high level of resistance in the mainstream media over the non-coverage of this important discovery.

LINK

edit on 30-4-2011 by AlaskanDad because: added hydro to sources, sorry its morning - duh!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Has anyone seen any photographic evidence of the condition of the inside of the independent Common Spent Fuel Pools (No.s 1 & 2) post event?

If I were allowed into those TEPCO briefings as a journalist, that's one point I'd have wanted to have covered way earlier. I know TEPCO seem to say that it suffered a temporary power outage , but having fixed that, they decided to leave it running as was and, understandably, focus all their attention on the other buildings/facilities.

However, having seen the extent of structural damage caused by the 9.0 quake, and the tsunami, I remain very curious about what the inside looks like.

For instance, have they had enough time/manpower to do a full survey for cracks and fractures, electrical circuits?
Do any of the flooded tunnels or channels flow through or under it, is that being monitored?
How did internal stuff like the cranes, etc stand up to the abuse, did anything fall into the pool?

Generally, looking at the number of fuel assemblies in that, and the difficulties now made clear of placing the reactor SFPs so high up, I certainly hope the nuclear industry globally are forced to re-locate such hazards just a little further away from what appear to be more hazardous reactors and their potential ejections?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

I agree, talking of which, in the wake of Fukushima, the Germans certainly appear to be having a revelatory moment and I thought I'd share this article in Der Spiegel:

A Survey of the World's Radioactive No-Go Zones

Semipalatinsk in Kazakhstan, now known as Semey, was host to the main nuclear test site of the former Soviet Union. Some 506 nuclear tests were carried out there during the Cold War. Since the closure of the site, the United States has invested more than $600 million (€420 million) in cleaning up the contaminated 18,500 square kilometers (7,142 square miles). The US has also invested $100 million (€70 million) in trying to better secure the site -- there are fears terrorists could obtain radioactive material there in order to build so-called dirty bombs.

The Kazakh government had hoped to make the site available for agricultural use once again. But some areas are still so contaminated with plutonium that they have to be covered with huge, two-meter thick steel plates to contain the radiation.

"so contaminated with plutonium that they have to be covered with huge, two-meter thick steel plates to contain the radiation"

That's a new one on me, add that to the concrete, sand and graphite then...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlaskanDad
So to recap on this, Rossi is saying that at this moment there are 97 e-cats installed and working accross 4 different countries, with some already installed in the businesses of trusted individuals. The 4 countries are presumably USA (Rossi's Company Leonardo Corp), Italy, Greece and it's anyone's guess what the 4th one is.

Nothing personal, and we all appreciate the info AD and the sincere desire to find alternative energy sources- but desperate men grasping at straws are no answer for a country that needs real power, real soon. Rossi's setup sounds less than transparent, which is to say, my money stays in my pocket on this one. There are plenty of ways to get heat out of nickle-copper-iron-water reactions, none of which are cold fusion; in fact the first known battery on earth was a similar device- but generation of heat or electricity can be done in much more efficient ways than catalysis of expensive metals.

Some real answers are here: Rocky Mountain Institute...
edit on 30-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

2 meters of steel for those who can't convert to feet quickly is 6.56', even disregarding the additives that has to be some darned heavy containment plates.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

In the NRC public mullings that question came up relatively early but was not really addressed. The important factors that were mentioned were that the Japanese waste pools were estimated by Randy Sullivan (NSIR) to been able to last over thirty days without boiling out from cooling loss.

IF that can be extended to the common waste pool (located in the building directly inland and uphill from the #4 reactor building) then tepco's basic early strategy seemed to be rotating refilling pools as they evaped (boiled), but they made their estimates on ONLY heat generation figuring they had weeks if not more before they had to worry, and failed to take into account water loss from cracks or other explosive damage(If they went into the reactors in the first few days no one came out with the information on leakages or it was disregarded), so the pool at four became a casualty to leakage , criticality and then explosion damage, twice.

The common storage pool was showing elevated temperatures on the first of the thermal images released on 3-23, but do not seem to be adequately imaged again ( i haven't been able to check in a couple of days though ), So I would guess that the same strategy applied there and they just tried to keep the water levels up until they could get some kind of cooling back on line ( which I believe Tepco admitted about 4-7), but good thinking , passive radiators like giant cpu cooling heat sinks should be stationed over such pools as submerged lids , just in case
edit on 30-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
First I just realized going back over the thermal images that I have been about 90degrees off on where I have been assuming north is ( I needed to turn about 90 degrees counterclockwise )

So the 'other' poolium falls is on the south west south lower corner of the building :

The two insets show the west side under different light and something fluid (water from the pool ?) clearly ran down here , and the lower left blue arrow area under the hole is where a likely (from visual and thermal evidence) poolium fall snow exits. I am digging back through the files to find the one good shot I saw of it ( the orange arrow is the fubarium falls between 3 and 4 )

While searching for the other falls I happened to notice a couple of odd things in the (before clean-up ) pics from between 3 and 4:

First thing that jumped out at me is after watching DWW's awesome video links those things circled (poorly) in green appear to be the crane arms from one of the internal cranes at the #3 building. I think any explosive force powerful enough to have ejected such long thin objects would have leveled the building so it's one more bit of evidence that a mechanical/structural ejection mechanism propelled them to the spots we see them in (remember the bonk bonk bonk sounds)

Now while looking at that I notice that our pre-moved vent pipe looks like something shot out of building #4 and did the damage we see. Incidentally the angel and direction necessary to do the damage we see to the vent pipe imply an angle that would have the projectile leaving #4 from the hole where the fubarium falls are. Also that vent/area is the place the Tepco people were very keen on cleaning up and removing stuff from . I would certainly like to know what shot out of four and why it was so important that they sent guys near that poolium for it
(now I think SF noticed some of this stuff but I couldn't find those posts , so apologies to all if I am chasing tails :-)

The common spent pool building is imaged partially at the bottom of this page and it does not appears as before and has lots of blacked out spots...

edit on 30-4-2011 by Silverlok because: not is a perfectly reasonable word

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
While looking for news regarding the electricity outage at BP's Texas City refinery I came across the following:

BP plc (NYSE:BP)’s shipping unit has added radiation risk clauses in Japan-related voyage contracts. The oil and gas company BP plc (NYSE:BP)’s shipping unit has taken radiation risk measures and diversion clauses in its Japan-related contracts, as the Fukushima nuclear plant had been destroyed by the earthquake.

These clauses allow the ships to deviate from the shipping line if they experience high radiation levels and they will be paid for the damages caused by any radiation-related problems. “BP Shipping introduced the clause into vessel contracts…vessels on BP Shipping business are routed on a journey-by-journey basis, operating only so long as it is considered safe to do so,” BP plc (NYSE:BP) said in a statement.

Source

Which dovetails with a report made by a poster earlier (Des I think) about shippers introducing radiation clauses in thier contracts. It would seem as though BP can pollute the Gulf of Mexico with impunity but does not want to deal with radiation even though there is "no immediate threat to health".

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Does anyone remember this?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted already:

'Fukushima - gross miscarriage of radiation science'

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Tepco has been covering up data about Fukushima

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Would the thing we have least of in our universe...anti-matter cause a reaction like that?

Justa guess, I'm not a nuke expert. I learned that from Professor Michio Kaku on history channel.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
GhostR1der, I totally agree with you about the video concealing more than it reveals , but I do like the semi all jammed against the front of that building with it's wheels in the air

Wertwog I do not remember that abc thing , it's kind of an admission of criticality , I guess they figured no one would notice if they renamed it 'flash of light and heat'

It appears RT picked that last fellow as they though they could trip him up on the 'dome' or draw him out on Tepco 'lying' , seems like he kind of caught the news caster off guard by not stepping in those holes or playing along I can't tell which

And while searching for the other one , I believe I have a reason for the 'sheet' from the pakbot pic:

I assembled that inset picture of a rod bundle from the video DWW posted and it certainly looks like the thing circled in red that someone tried to hide behind the sheet . I still don't understand this photo from Tepco's perspective though why release it ? it seems to show part of a semi-intact fuel rod assembly and the RPV cap...
edit on 30-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It's not looking good for #3.

link

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Still lurking here - thank you everyone for the continued research and insight - very much appreciated!

I wanted to bring this forward to the current pages because I read AlaskanDad's dilemma about planting this year. Hope the info below is helpful.

Originally posted by 00nunya00
adding potassium to the soil that seems to reduce cesium intake by 2 to 14 percent
www.oecd-nea.org...

Originally posted by zorgon

decreased the uptake of radiocaesium by a factor of 2 to 14, as well as increased crop yield.

I would say the potassium is absorbed before the cesium... so the plants would have less uptake of radiocesium.

I also see that they did soil removal/exchange to help restore the area

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Ah that... well I have been working on that.. just finished the Tsunami and Quake pages save a few updates on latest measurements. The Nuke situation is harder though because the info keeps changing.. I needz a sexatary to help out

Somehow I don't think you'd get much work done if you had a sexatary.

I know I wouldn't.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been mentioned before... this thread moves at a rate.

The Redneck is okay!

Redneck is fine and still dealing with his personal issue's at this time. Thread closed. edit on 30-4-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

I was worried about TRN and enquired. I miss his incitive and precognitive views.
Mrbillshowoff has ruined the integrity of this thread since his absence IMHO.
With a disaster on this scale we should all team together. People make mistakes. We are all speculating so we are all in the same boat. So personal judgements should cease.

This thread says everything good about ATS and its a shame when it gets derailed.

Well done everyone who is actively contributing to this thread. I am learning loads.
Peace.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Today on tv during a Japanese government Diet debate, a government official said the Japanese government currently has only 500 potassium iodide pills. Only 500 pills for a country of 128 million people! Can you say FAIL?

edit on 30-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 814  815  816    818  819  820 >>

join