It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 815.htm
<< 812  813  814    816  817  818 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

I think it's already been posted back on the 27th. Just use the youtube link at the top of the URL on your browser. Then remove everything bold www.youtube.com...://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3psFiJUinrA

I've got a question though.

Browns Ferry Unit 1 reactor......Are all rods fully inserted? What is the water level in the reactor? The reactor has still not been shut down and it appears they lost all power for 15 mins...........

Is 15 mins enough to cause 2 days worth of shut down problems?

edit on 29-4-2011 by Procharmo because: Additional info

edit on 29-4-2011 by Procharmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

More on the Fukushima adviser resignation.

TOKYO: A senior nuclear adviser to Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan submitted his resignation Friday, saying the government had ignored his advice and failed to follow the law.

Toshiso Kosako, a Tokyo University professor who was named last month as an advisor to Kan, said the government had only taken ad hoc measures to contain the crisis at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant.

In a tearful press conference, he said the government and its commissions had taken "flexible approaches" to existing laws and regulations, and ignored his advice after he was named an advisor on March 16. "I cannot help but to think (the prime minister's office and other agencies) are only taking stopgap measures... and delaying the end" of the nuclear crisis, he told reporters.

Tokyo officials had drafted measures to deal with the accident that were not in strict accordance with the law, and the decision-making process had been unclear, he said. "There is no point for me to be here," as the Kan administration had failed to listen to him, said Kosako, an expert on radiation safety.

Channel Asia

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Think I got it this time gang I typed in the ULR, instead of copying and pasting. It seems to change to the April 13th interview, when I copy and paste.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Toshiso Kosako, a Tokyo University professor who was named last month as an advisor to Kan, said the government had only taken ad hoc measures to contain the crisis at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant.

In a tearful press conference, he said the government and its commissions had taken "flexible approaches" to existing laws and regulations, and ignored his advice after he was named an advisor on March 16.

"I cannot help but to think (the prime minister's office and other agencies) are only taking stopgap measures... and delaying the end" of the nuclear crisis, he told reporters.

www.channelnewsasia.com...

Quite a damning statement, but I wish he could have been a little more specific, I wouldn't bet he'll be allowed the chance to elaborate for some time now given the reports on "anti rumour" policing by the Japanese government...but it would be great if he turned whistleblower, or hooked up for a chat with one...
edit on 29-4-2011 by curioustype because: forgot any link/accreditation oops

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Criticalities at unit 2?

Data released on April 28, 2011 by TEPCO is now unequivocal in showing ongoing criticalities at Unit 2, with a peak on April 13.

TEPCO graphs of radioactivity-versus-time in water under each of the six reactors show an ongoing nuclear chain reaction creating high levels of "fresh" I-131 in Unit 2, the same reactor pressure vessel (RPV) with a leak path to reactor floor, aux building, and outdoor trenches, that is uncontrollably leaking high levels of I-131, Cs-134, Cs-137 into the Pacific Ocean.

instead of seeing that expected decrease in I-131 levels relative to Cs-134 and Cs-137 in the regular TEPCO press releases, I-131 was seen to be increasing, instead of decreasing as the physics said it should.

Until the April 28 press release with accompanying graphs and table, I discerned that something strange was happening with the elevated I-131 levels, but until this latest news, it was impossible to know where, exactly, was the source of the high I-131 levels.

The answer is clear if you look at the graphs of groundwater radioactivity measurements from all six reactors. "Outlier" Unit 2 has I-131 levels roughly 20 times its levels of Cs-134/137.

The only possible source of I-131 would be "pockets" of molten core in the Unit 2 RPV settled in such a way that the boron in the injected water is insufficient to stop the localized criticalities.

GLG Group

TEPCO Results of Nuclide Analysis of Sub-drain
TEPCO Radioactivity Density of Sub-drain
edit on 29-4-2011 by Moonbeams771 because: ...to add some more info.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Evening shift coming on board...

M 5.3, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan

Friday, April 29, 2011 22:19:32 UTC
Saturday, April 30, 2011 07:19:32 AM at epicenter

Depth: 51.30 km (31.88 mi)

newsblogged.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
reply to post by zorgon

All this information you've collected here could be organized, maybe chronologically and by subject, so it's useful to a much larger audience (maybe the Japanese) to people who might hear about this thread, who are linked or even wander in.

Where I work, if you squawk it, you fix it...

In other words, Mr. Bill, please do it! If you start a thread and organize this one on it, it would be appreciated.

edit on 29-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Um...Dalke started this thread about reactor 4:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

6100Sv/H. Is that right?

I went back the last several pages and didn't see anything on this, though I know a few days ago there was something about it being in the 4000's.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Lower Levels of Radiation = Greater Danger?

The Petkau Effect

The Petkau effect is an early counterexample to linear-effect assumptions usually made about radiation exposure. It was found by Dr. Abram Petkau at the Atomic Energy of Canada Whiteshell Nuclear Research Establishment, Manitoba and published in Health Physics March 1972.

Petkau had been measuring, in the usual way, the dose that would rupture a particular cell membrane. He found that 3500 rads delivered in 2¼ hours (26 rad/min) would do it. Then, almost by chance, he tried again with much weaker radiation and found that 0.7 rads delivered in 11½ hours (1 millirad/min) would also destroy the membrane. This was counter to the prevailing assumption of a linear relationship between total dose or dose rate and the consequences.[1]

The radiation was of ionising nature, and produced negative oxygen ions. Those ions were more damaging to the membrane in lower concentrations than higher (a somewhat counterintuitive result in itself) because in the latter, they more readily recombine with each other instead of interfering with the membrane.

The ion concentration directly correlated with the radiation dose rate and the composition had nonmonotonic consequences.”

Petkau effect has been hidden from public.

The assumption that lower radiation levels are safer, is being actively promoted by those who support the nuclear industry.

The public’s ignorance of the Petkau effect is being exploited, to justify the existence of low level exposures to radiation on a worldwide basis. “If it is low,” they say, “it is safe.”

Source

2nd Source

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Notice anything missing in CNN's Top Asia stories list? Again?

Top Asia Stories

* New Delhi: Fire in shoe factory kills 10
* U.S. challenges China's human rights record
* FBI warns of Chinese cybercrime scheme
* Pakistan PM urged Afghans to seek new allies
* Kim Jong Il offers dialogue with South
* Arrests made in Afghan jailbreak
* India rejects U.S. for Europe in big jet order
* Roadside bomb kills five in Pakistani city
* China's population swells to 1.3 billion

CNN

EPIC FAIL. Four nuclear reactors in some stage of meltdown or pool poolium and leaking massive amounts of radiation that is spreading around the globe - is not news.

Guess they got the Japan memo and are being good corporate citizens.

Note to CNN: Japan's human rights record isn't looking so good either. Ask the workers at Fukushima and those without a home from the evacuation home.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

You confuse me! but hey, I guess that is the idear -

All this information you've collected here could be organized, maybe chronologically and by subject, so it's useful to a much larger audience (maybe the Japanese) to people who might hear about this thread, who are linked or even wander in.

Maybe to TEPCO as they don't have a clue?

It's about time You and Yours came here and asked for help!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by imlite

Uploaded Video

Spent Fuel in Spent Fuel Pool Reactor 4

Seems they lost some assemblies through melt. if you notice the distortions of the racks and different sized rods assemblies I would say that it was in full meltdown when they refilled it with water - just in time to stop total failure.

Hope the glowing areas in the upper right of the video are just reflections and not low level criticality.

I note they put the camera in quick and take it out just as quick - keep it in any longer and it would fail through heat and radiation.

And from Moonbeams771 post:

TEPCO assumes that a series of incidents occurred in the following way:

-- The water level inside the pool decreased and parts of the spent fuel rods became exposed.
-- Metal covering the overheated fuel rods reacted chemically with water and discharged a large quantity of hydrogen gas.
-- The gas was ignited and exploded, damaging the gate.
-- As a result, hundreds of tons of water entered the pool and the overheating of fuel rods ended.
(Apr. 29, 2011)

So it was luck that the blast broke the gate between the reactor well and the pool allowing water in the reactor well to flood the pool.

Adjusting and analysing the video the important section is the upper right area which are the Reactor 4 core rods. These are active and showing some criticality with Cherenkov radiation being emitted. There is also much heat being generated from these with distortions in the water around these through convective turbulence. The amount of melt that is visible is limited but they do appear to have damage - probably from degradation of the zirconium casings.

As to the increasingly rapid lowering of water in the pool:

The flaw in TEPCO's reasoning in that the water is flowing out of the pool into the reactor well causing lowering of the water level is that there should be a clearly defined level at which the height of the water in the pool and well will be equal. If the water is lower than the gate into the well than there must be additional activity in the pool. This could be through increased heating through additional criticality or through degrading walls in the pool causing leakage - or it could be both. I suspect that unless SFP4 is shored up quickly they will have a major failure.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

The abstract for that study, appears not digitised, so it won't be easy to get fulltext of it in the near future...

On Medline www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5015646

journals.lww.com/health-physics/Abstract/1972/03000/Effect_of_22Na__on_a_Phospholipid_Membrane.4.aspx

Effect of 22Na+ on a Phospholipid Membrane

Petkau, A.

Abstract

Radioactive 22Na+ has been used to irradiate model phospholipid membranes. It was found that the membranes rupture after irradiation periods varying from 20 to 600 min, depending on the dose rate. It was further found that both the membrane duration and the absorbed dose at which the membrane ruptured could be correlated with the dose rate by both power and exponential functions. The phenomenon is discussed on the basis of radiation-initiated oxidation and polymerization reactions.

(C)1972Health Physics Society

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by Moshpet

Not much to add to that other than OUTSTANDING!

You did a much better job of being clear and concise than I would have. I just haven't got the patience for it anymore

Thanks, it took a bit of brain cells rubbing together to make sure it was understandable to everyone who would read it. Which accounted for it taking me a goodly amount of time to write it as clearly and concise as I could. My side of the tree isn't analysis perse, but it was in the 'make it happen' side of the coin. I had some damned good teachers for that sort of thing. You know, the 'useful types.'

I gave it my best effort, in the hope that the 'anon' readers of the forums with fancy initials, would be able to see what I saw and heard. Of which they know who they are. >.> It is my hope that with enough eyes on the subject that the various agencies would start filling in the blanks and answer the questions I posed. (Or that they would hint strongly enough others could figure it out here.)

Then there are others who read, and don't care to learn or understand. Once I figure out how to set them on ignore, they won't matter or offend my synapses with their continued blathering and ignorance.

M.

If a mod could PM me with the tips on how to block a persons posts from my view of the forum, I'd appreciate it.

edit on 29-4-2011 by Moshpet because: It needed it.

edit on 29-4-2011 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2011 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2011 by Moshpet because: Request to mods.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Here is a current map of Fukushima of radiation at the plant
from 4/20 to 4/26

blogs-images.forbes.com...
edit on 29-4-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Download helper comes in internet explore beta also.
I installed it with no problem.
Thank you hopefully it solved a problem I was having.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

If a mod could PM me with the tips on how to block a persons posts from my view of the forum, I'd appreciate it.
reply to post by Moshpet

Apparently there used to be an ignore button. I know this will tick some off but I would pay to be able to use one. It has taken me two weeks to finally get caught up. My time is too valuable to read the ramblings of a shill or troll.

There is only one on this thread whom I now ignore but I also ignore all replies to this poster so if you have some new info please use a seperate post.

(Hint: They specialize in personal attacks)

new topics

top topics

<< 812  813  814    816  817  818 >>

join