It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 812.htm
<< 809  810  811    813  814  815 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Yeah that is a lot of weight, no wonder the island is sinking.
Thanks for the in depthness , so maybe 1/10th - 1/100th is evaporating ?

edit on 29-4-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by pattonisit
new pics from cryptome...

cryptome.org...

WHY are they using those robot machines to clean up THIS area?

edit on 29-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
reply to post by Silverlok

Yeah that is a lot of weight, no wonder the island is sinking.
Thanks for the in depthness , so maybe 1/10th - 1/100th is evaporating ?

edit on 29-4-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

It's hard to say , but the pool probably had close to half a million gallons of water in it to start with and it boiled off over half of that in four days ( to expose the rods and create the hydrogen ) so if the pool was not leaking to begin with it was steaming out 60,000 gallons of water a day , or about 40 gallons a minute , water is about 1000 times denser than air but water vapor takes up about ten times more space per unit volumne , so it would have been producing perhaps 400,000 cubic feet of steam every minute ,

I don't think it was doing that , so a good guess is that the quake caused a leak at the pool and that number they are quoting is probably mostly how fast it is pouring out as it should putting out perhaps 100,000cubic feet of steam per minute, and that does not appear to be the case, so yeah perhaps ten percent of that is leaving as steam , of course it's possible that only 10% of the pool is in any shape to even hold water .
edit on 29-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

and notice the foot stool on our side of the truck in the fore ground , that must be because people are walking in and out of what is obviously where they are remote controlling from ( the mobile 'command center' ) , so why would they need the foot stool if it's too hot to work there ? I think you have the Tepco photo op "look at us doing stuff to solve the problem " of the day

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

That link is messy, hard to see which text is relevant... can you translate the amount of radiation this guy was exposed to? I think that would give us a reference... Thanks

ETA Nevermind... saw Vox's link after

Dozens of emergency workers and nearby residents were hospitalized and hundreds of thousands of others were forced to remain indoors for 24 hours.[9] At least 667 workers, emergency responders, and nearby residents were exposed to excess radiation as a result of the accident.[6]

A dose of 50 millisieverts (mSv) is the maximum allowable annual dose for Japanese nuclear workers.[5] For context, 8000 mSv (800 rem) is normally a fatal dose and more than 10,000 mSv is almost invariably fatal. Normal background radiation amounts to an annual exposure of about 3 mSv.[6] There were 56 plant workers whose exposures ranged up to 23 mSv and a further 21 workers received elevated doses when draining the precipitation tank. Seven workers immediately outside the plant received doses estimated at 6–15 mSv (combined neutron and gamma effects).[10] The three operators' doses were far above permissible limits at 3,000, 10,000, and 17,000 mSv; the two receiving the higher doses later died.[6] The most severely exposed worker had his body draped over the tank when it went critical. He suffered serious burns to most of his body, experienced severe damage to his internal organs, and had a near-zero white blood cell count.[6]

The cause of the accident was said to be "human error and serious breaches of safety principles", according to the International Atomic Energy Agency.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

The direct cause of the criticality accident was workers putting uranyl nitrate solution containing about 16 kg of uranium, which exceeded the critical mass for the precipitation tank. The tank was not designed to hold this type of solution and was not configured to prevent criticality.

Really make you wonder who is minding the store at these plants... scary
edit on 29-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Initiatives of the Russian President to develop an international system for safe and secure operation of nuclear power facilities

April 26, 2011, 17:00

eng.news.kremlin.ru/news/2135

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev put forward proposals to further improve international legislation on the safety of nuclear power stations.

The proposals are the result of analysis of events at the Fukushima-1 NPP in Japan and are a response to the rapid growth of civil nuclear power facilities around the world.

The initiatives propose supplementing the existing conventions and the IAEA statute with a number of provisions stipulating:

(...)

---

2011/04/27 14:16 KST
S. Korea urged to boost nuclear emergency readiness

english.yonhapnews.co.kr/techscience/2011/04/27/37/0601000000AEN20110427004900320F.HTML

SEOUL, April 27 (Yonhap) -- South Korea needs to learn from Japan's recent nuclear crisis and take concrete steps to strengthen its emergency readiness posture, local atomic safety experts said Wednesday.

The call comes as public concerns have grown over nuclear safety following the release of radioactive materials from Japan's Fukushima power station, which was hit by a March 11 earthquake and tsunami that knocked out its cooling systems.

At a seminar on nuclear safety, Chang Soon-heung, a nuclear engineering professor at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), said Seoul should improve systems related to emergency power vital for cooling reactors, devise ways to safeguard spent fuel rods, and remove hydrogen buildups inside reactor cores that can lead to explosions and the release of radioactive materials.

(...)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
reply to post by jjjtir

April 27, 2011
Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.

Fuji Electric Provides Solar Power Systems to Disaster Areas Affected by the
Great East Japan Earthquake

www.fujielectric.com/company/news/2011/11042703.html

Fuji Electric extends its heartfelt condolences to those affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake, and wishes for the quick recovery of affected areas.

Fuji Electric Co., Ltd. is involved in a series of initiatives at disaster areas in Miyagi, Fukushima and Iwate prefectures, and will provide 500 Mobile Solar Units that employ Fuji Electric solar cells. A total of 300 units will be donated to the disaster countermeasures headquarters in Miyagi Prefecture, and 100 units to each of the disaster countermeasures headquarters in Fukushima and Iwate prefectures, respectively.

It strikes me as highly ironic that a nuclear power station needs solar panels. Such is the strangeness of this whole energy mess we are in.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Apr 28, 11:31 PM EDT

NRC chief says 4-hour requirement may not be enough for reactors to cope with blackouts

By DINA CAPPIELLO
Associated Press

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NUCLEAR_PLANTS_BLACKOUTS?SITE=CAFRA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The nation's top nuclear regulator cast doubt Thursday on whether reactors in the U.S. are prepared for the type of days-long power outage that struck a nuclear power plant in Japan.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has only required plants in this country to cope without power for four to eight hours. After that time, it assumes some electrical power will be restored.

NRC chairman Gregory Jaczko on Thursday questioned whether four to eight hours is enough time, even though it's unlikely a nuclear power plant would lose power from both the grid and emergency diesel generators as the Japan plant did. Requirements put in place after the September 11 terrorist attacks could lengthen plants' ability to withstand a blackout.

"Four hours doesn't seem to be a reasonable time to restore offsite power if you lost the diesels immediately," Jaczko said at a commission meeting at the NRC's Rockville, Md., headquarters. "In the event there is a station blackout that is externally driven, I'm not convinced that in that situation four hours" is enough time to restore offsite power.

An Associated Press investigation last month examined the risk to the nation's 104 nuclear reactors to a complete loss of electrical power. In the U.S., such a "station blackout" has only happened once, at the Vogtle Electric Generating Plant in eastern Georgia in 1990. There, power was restored in 55 minutes.

(...)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Brings home the horror of radiation. If people want to see further evidence, google "radiation burns" and switch to images.

Also, I won't post them here but a simple google of "radiation mutation", switch to images. Some of them are movie images, but many are the real thing. Horrifying.

Mutations Can't Produce Upward Evolution!
edit on 29-4-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I am reading through that NRC report , and I am just blown away at how clueless some of those guys are : no info , having to use news reports, and google earth , they don't even have the plant lay-out , or design drawings( and don't want to bother the ever so busy Tepco people while they are busily trying to 'solve the problem')

A couple of things caught my attention :

page 21 line 18 :

" Member Corradini: And so the reason -- the public reason given for this injection is?"

wow , the 'public reason' would seem in that circle something that needs to be clarified, and is obviously something they are use to being different from the real reasons

page 22 line 3:

Member Banerjee: "Can you explain that to me ? I was also puzzled by that . How does injecting nitrogen--"

Mister Thorp: "It's not clear to me. I don't wan to dwell on it .It was --"
Mister Ruland: " what was the question ?"
Mister Thorp: " It was a discussion of partial pressures. He doesn't understand why injection of nitrogen would necessarily be a mitigating factor for the potential for explosion."

This Banerjee character is on the NRC and doesn't understand the nitrogen injection, and the Thorp fellow says it's not clear to him?, seriously ? did they all come to the meeting in the same clown car.

but this is the best :

page 19 line 20:

Mister Thorp: "...TEPCO...has announced publicly that they estimated the core damage in Unit 1 as 70%, Unit 2 as 30%,and Unit 3 as 25%. These figure were based in their statements on radiation levels that they measured in the units on March 14th and 15th"
Member Bley: "We don't know what that means right..." (laughter) "...I certainly don't know what that means "
Member Corradini: " just to give you a historical connection, if I remember correctly, the few days following TMI a number of laboratories were asked to do analysis, and all came in with damage based on a zircwater reaction on something on the order of 50 to 70 percent. Is that -- I am trying to understand what that means. Is it a zircwater reaction analysis? Is it a radioisotope analysis? What is it ?
Mister Thorp; " We really don't know. They said it was based on radiation levels that they had --"

Hillarious , Tepco even has The NRC laughing at the utter ridiculousness, but since the TMI incident lasted less than 3 hours of 'dry time' and all three fukushima reactors had more than 7 hours , it's reasonable to assume large if not total core loss , just from that fact

The scary thing comes on l page 36 line 1:

Mister Sullivan states that the Japanese storage pools are stacked in a way different from U.S. pools and that where one would suspect a U.S. pool to boil off in about 6 to eight days , the calculations for the Japanese pools show it would have taken 30 to possibly 100 days.

That is rather frightening as it implies that U.S. pools would dry-out and have a problems 5 to 10 times faster than the fukushima pools ( except four )

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
I think you have the Tepco photo op "look at us doing stuff to solve the problem " of the day

Yeah all the other images of that set are devoid of life. Whenever they talk about injecting water into #4 we see the same old photo of the pump... file footage...

Today again more delays and cancellations... it's just one big merry go round. What are they waiting for? All the fuel to melt into the earth? Maybe that would be best for the rest of the world, no more air release?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Fukushima news conference revealed Israeli and Syrian politics...

IAEA Confirms Syria Secretly Building Nuclear Reactor
April 28, 2011

www.voanews.com/english/news/middle-east/IAEA-Confirms-Syria-Secretly-Building-Nuclear-Reactor-120884309.html

The head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog agency has said for the first time that a target bombed in Syria in 2007 was a secretly built nuclear reactor.

Yukiya Amano Thursday told a Paris press conference that the facility destroyed by Israel in an air strike was a "nuclear reactor under construction." As such, Amano said, it was not producing plutonium.

(...)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Add that to suspicious EPA monitoring network...

WA state pulls back on radiation testing
By VANESSA HO, SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF
Published 05:00 p.m., Thursday, April 28, 2011

www.seattlepi.com/local/article/WA-state-reduces-radiation-testing-due-to-1357457.php

Radiation from Japan has been so miniscule in Washington that health officials announced Thursday that they're ending regular rainwater tests and reducing daily air tests for radioactive material.

(...)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Seabed rose by 7m near quake focus

Updated stats on the quake...

Researchers have found that the seabed off northeastern Japan surged by as much as seven meters, and shifted about 50 meters southeastward, in the March 11th earthquake.

The Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology, or JAMSTEC, sent a deep sea research vessel, 'Kairei,' to the focus area after the quake.

The ship probed the seabed using sound waves.

Earlier, the Japan Coast Guard, using GPS data,
concluded that the seabed had surged about three meters while a research team from Tohoku University said it rose by about five meters based on data from a water-pressure gauge installed on the seabed.

JAMSTEC says the seven-meter surge shows the earthquake and subsequent tsunami were more powerful than the earlier estimates.

The agency says it will further analyze the data and expand the research area to find out more about the mechanism behind tsunami.

Friday, April 29, 2011 13:34 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Silverlok
I think you have the Tepco photo op "look at us doing stuff to solve the problem " of the day

Yeah all the other images of that set are devoid of life. Whenever they talk about injecting water into #4 we see the same old photo of the pump... file footage...

Today again more delays and cancellations... it's just one big merry go round. What are they waiting for? All the fuel to melt into the earth? Maybe that would be best for the rest of the world, no more air release?

Yes both two and three are showing below normal air pressure in both the the RPV and dry-well , three seems to exactly equal unrestricted ( in open air )steam pressure at the temperature shown and two is the same way , below normal air temp , the difference is that the torus on two has no readings ( probably blown open ) , but three shows 1.7 atmospheres in it's torus which if that's from saturated steam should make the temperature about 115C, and we have a temperature of about 109 at the 'bottom' of #3's core and 86C at the spray nozzles higher up so it looks like something is generating steam in the torus (sc) and it is funneling up and out the open containment there( the upper and lower temps have been fairly consistently 30-40 degree C apart which seems another indication that the top of three is open , If the temp number can be trusted it also looks as if something in the torus or basement of three was undergoing a criticality on and off between the 18th and 21 of this month )

I think the reason they stopped the water injection at one is because it started a criticality as soon as something in that dry-well or core got submerged for the first time in a longish while and the 'drop' in pressure is hydrogen gas accumulating . The morning web cam pic has a gamma strike on it, at a guess I would say the higher water concentrations and temperature should allow some of the accumulated salt to dissolve and I bet that happened and let the water crack up a mass of corium and start it kicking again,

It didn't occur to me but the Japanese use metric tons right? and if so the conversion is about 7 to 1 to standards tons which means that for #4 to be boiling off 119,000 gallons of water a day it would be steaming like crazy (which it is not) and would require insane heat levels ( criticality ) , it also means that pump truck has to put out almost 5000 u.s. gallons of water and hour or about 82 gallons a minute...

I need to catch a little sleep but I think I'll tackle the number on that tomorrow

(hey that pump truck can be controlled remotely from 2 miles (3.2 km) away, didn't Tepco claim that guys had to manually do that)
, and In this image here the feeder hose is unfilled (the blue thing running off the truck) so it's not pumping

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
www.interamer.com... if any one was looking for ki pills or radiation detectors this site has some stuff and its not too pricey

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Apologies if these have already been posted;

Milk samples 2600% above EPA limit in California

Radiation Readings in Fukushima Reactor Rise to Highest Since Crisis Began, Bloomberg article

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Fukushima Prefecture starts taking custody of pets left in 20-km no-entry zone
(Mainichi Japan) April 29, 2011

mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/national/news/20110429p2a00m0na003000c.html

FUKUSHIMA -- The Fukushima Prefectural Government has started taking into custody pets left behind in the deserted evacuation zone around the disaster-crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant.

The initiative, based on the Rabies Prevention Act, mainly covers stray and unconfined dogs in the area. Whether to take chained dogs, cats and other animals will be decided by veterinarians after examining their health.

(...)

---

45 children still in town where high levels of radiation have been detected
(Mainichi Japan) April 29, 2011

mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110429p2a00m0na007000c.html

IITATE, Fukushima -- There are 45 children still staying in three areas of this village, where high levels of radiation have been detected following the crisis at the tsunami-hit nuclear power plant, local government officials said.

Local officials have urged the children's guardians to take them out to less radioactively active areas, but a 41-year-old woman living in Nagadoro said she is hesitant to evacuate her son, a second-year junior high school student.

(...)

---

2011/04/28 16:21 KST
S. Korea finds no radioactive materials in air, rain

english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2011/04/28/87/0302000000AEN20110428009900320F.HTML

SEOUL, April 28 (Yonhap) -- No radioactive materials have been found this week in the air and rainwater in South Korea amid a steady decline in fallout blowing from Japan, a state nuclear safety body said Thursday.

It marked the first time in a month that Seoul has not found traces of radioactive iodine and cesium in the air. In the previous check of which the results were announced Friday, no contaminants were found in the air, but rainwater on Jeju Island contained minuscule concentrations of cesium-134.

(...)

KINS added that natural ambient radiation reached a high of 182 nanosieverts (nSv) per hour, which is well within usual levels that moves between 50 nSv to 300 nSv per hour.

(...)

edit on 29-4-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Dalai Lama tells Japan to look to future

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110429/wl_sthasia_afp/japandisasternucleardalailamatibetchina_20110429103343

TOKYO (AFP) – The Dalai Lama offered a renewed prayer for disaster-hit Japan Friday, and urged the nation to look to the future.

"What I can do is to pray and offer my sincere condolences to the victims," he said on his first visit to Japan since the nation's biggest recorded earthquake and tsunami ravaged the northern Pacific coastline on March 11.

The disaster left more than 25,000 dead or missing and crippled a nuclear power plant, which has been releasing radioactive materials into the environment and forced the evacuation of tens of thousands living nearby.

(...)

---

Friday, April 29, 2011
Tepco Chief Holds Out Hope For Compensation Exemption

e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110428D28JFA17.htm

TOKYO (Nikkei)--Reacting to the first set of government guidelines for payouts to victims of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear accident, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501) President Masataka Shimizu said Thursday that the firm will move ahead "fairly" with the compensation process.

(...)

(The Nikkei April 29 edition)

edit on 29-4-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Not much to add to that other than OUTSTANDING!

You did a much better job of being clear and concise than I would have. I just haven't got the patience for it anymore

top topics

<< 809  810  811    813  814  815 >>

join