It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 790.htm
<< 787  788  789    791  792  793 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

indeed... & i think that needs to be addressed, openly, by CRAPCO... my fear is that the current workers will be worked - harshly - to death... pressured, & with no get-out clause, despite increasing physical & mental health problems

i expect a sense of national/cultural duty & responsibility in the workers will keep them going for so long, but for how long?

their living conditions & (i'm guessing) treatment by TEPCO must surely be breaking them down steadily & at quite a rate by now ... my profession is in mental health, & i keep finding myself morbidly obsessing over how the workers are doing... locked in the belly of it's hell, with the weight of such a crisis on ones shoulders for such a sustained period of time doesn't bode well at all, does it?

so yea, who's gonna want to be next in line when they "wear out" the current workers?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Information about the faulty (means lying) radiation reporting system being done to workers. Sorry it took me a bit to find this link again. It is also documented extensively in this thread.

Source

Emergency workers, engaged in desperate efforts to contain the crippled nuclear reactors in northeastern Japan, are lashing out at the government and contractors for their inconsistent handling of data on their exposure to radiation.

Some emergency workers say the government has been inconsistently and vaguely applying a "special measure" governing the maximum permissible level of radiation workers are allowed to be exposed to, allowing some workers to avoid the requirement to register their radiation exposure.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
there is an old saying..."don't worry about things that are out of your control". whatever radiation that is in the atmosphere from this will eventually come down to earth in an indiscriminate way. no amount of hand-wringing is going to stop it. and until they encase it in a thick cement tomb we all are going to recieve very small doses. frankly, people that work in radiation labs have more to worry about than this.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
frankly, people that work in radiation labs have more to worry about than this.

People in radiation labs don't eat food grown in the lab. Radiation accumulates in food.
Exposure from the air is the least of our worries, it's the food chain.

edit on 26-4-2011 by ppk55 because: changed foot to food

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

I have personally thought, the poor workers being fed very small amounts of food, and only twice a day, is due to radiation sickness, nausea/vomiting. We already know, they are in radiation suits, that reach horribly high temps inside.

March 30th article that "exposed" TEPCO'S extreme lack of concern and outright cruelty.

'Crying is useless': Fukushima 50 put lives on the line and get dry biscuits, rice and one blanket
Glenda Kwek
March 30, 2

Read more: www.theage.com.au... l#ixzz1Kdm7jhcv

Fast forward to April 26,th...well after a lot of press on the workers at Fukushima, and TEPCO goes into damage control...

TEPCO to improve tough working conditions at Fukushima nuclear plant
Workers are pictured at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant on March 23. (Photograph courtesy of the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency)
Workers are pictured at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant on March 23. (Photograph courtesy of the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency)

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Tokyo Electric Power Co. is expected to improve the tough working environment of its employees and other workers who are trying to bring the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant under control, industry minister Banri Kaieda said Tuesday

His remarks came after an official of the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency reported on the actual working environment at the radiation-leaking plant, saying that workers were only eating two meals per day, such as crackers and dried rice, and sleeping in conference rooms and hallways in the building. mdn.mainichi.jp...

To today...we only hear snippits of anything regarding the poor workers...I suspect a lot of the original ones are dead

Doctor warns Japan nuke workers are at their limit

By ERIC TALMADGE — Associated Press
FUKUSHIMA, Japan — Workers battling the crisis at Japan's stricken nuclear plant suffer from insomnia, show signs of dehydration and high blood pressure and are at risk of developing depression or heart trouble, a doctor who met with them said Wednesday.

It's all very, very ugly...Dr. in article states, the workers are not even given the basic human rights afforded by the constitution of Japan.

The nuclear workers have been toiling around the clock to stabilize the plant. Tanigawa said they get little rest, no baths or fresh food and are under the constant threat of exposure to radiation, which remains so high in many places that robots are being used to take measurements.

In a telephone interview, Tanigawa said the work conditions don't meet the basic rights guaranteed workers by Japan's constitution. During their breaks at the Fukushima Daini plant, they often sleep on the floor of a gymnasium, "wrapped only in blankets and with no privacy," he said.

Read more: www.kentucky.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

i've asked one of my fb friends to translate the vid... for some reason i'm thinking it's in german

if it's not, i have other friends around europe who may help with it

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

The readings this high would be everywhere - except if the R&D project / enchancement was partially about containment. They might be everywhere, but everywhere is being slightly less than honest about turning on and off their charting.

Something smells like rotting fish, and Frenchmen.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

They have a map of the dispersal pattern. Stand inside the radius, but outside the known dispersal area....voila, hedged readings.

Lying - easier than you think.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Ummm....ya...are these...

Schematics?

Morning crew out. Great work all - thank you.
edit on 26-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

Ive managed to translate the text, no pics carried over. Its about earthquake proofing these types of reactors.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Digitalglobe satellite image analysis of reactor failure Fukushima Daiichi March 2011.

DG_Analysis_Japan_Daiichi_Reactor_March2011

The two things I note from these images are the lack of damage to Reactor 4 post Reactor 3 blast and the hot steam/smoke coming from the Reactor Well of Reactor 3 not as supposed from 3's Spent Fuel Pool. Interesting that the images of R3 are so close to the blast time!

edit on 26/4/11 by imlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Japan farmers rally against nuclear plant company

TOKYO, April 26, 2011 (AFP) - Hundreds of angry Japanese farmers protested Tuesday outside the Tokyo head office of nuclear plant operator TEPCO, taking with them vegetables, milk and and even two cows affected by the atomic crisis.

Some 350 people, mainly farmers from the region around the radiation-leaking Fukushima Daiichi power plant, flocked to the heavily-guarded headquarters of embattled utility Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) in the capital.

Chanting anti-nuclear slogans, they waved in the air cabbages and spinach that had not been sold due to fears of radioactive contamination from the plant, which was hit by a powerful earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

They also brought two live milk cows on pick-up trucks, as well as milk in aluminum containers, from their dairy farms near the plant, which is some 250 kilometres (155 miles) north of Tokyo.

"TEPCO must stop the radiation leak! TEPCO must pay compensation! TEPCO must give us our hometown back!" demonstrators yelled in unison.

MySinchew link

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Disclaimer: Everyone has been contributing to this thread and without the regular contributors, I believe we would know a lot less that we do right now. I was bored this morning and thought I would put together this graph.

TheRedneck continues to be visibly absent on this thread. I present this graph only because newcomers to this thread will not know the contribution TRN made early on and his overnight disappearance, which I continue to find odd. If you visit his profile, you will see that he visited as recently as today, with no post.

The trendline that has been added is a 16 day moving average, which is the number of days he has been absent. Statistically speaking, it has no value other than showing that his posts should have trailed off. The "red" data point is the day of the Japanese EQ, the "orange" data point is the date of his last post.

edit on 4/26/2011 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

good post...

Off topic:

I think we need to get a Where's The Redneck Gone - Silenced or just Silent ........topic started

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Interesting graph. I think it's quite a curiosity, but still think he's likely just buried up to his redneck in rl and who knows what else. Perhaps he'll contribute again, perhaps not, either way I'm grateful for his contributions to date and sincerely hope he's not buried in a mountain of disorganization with a broken keyboard.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Dr. Michio Kaku's report on April 7th. Regarding his thoughts on TEPCO...

Is it Time to Appoint a Body of Top Scientists to Succeed the Fukushima Utility and Treat them as Consultants?
Michio Kaku on April 7, 2011, 6:42 PM

Given the fact that this international team of scientists and engineers have given us the clearest indication of the true extent of the damage, perhaps it is time for the Japanese government to remove the utility from leadership, treating them as consultants, and appointing a body of top scientists to succeed the utility.

This new international body would then be given access to the military in order to end the agony of this tragedy.

The recent 7.4 magnitude earthquake and tsunami to hit northern Japan on April 7 underscores the delicate situation at the Fukushima reactors. Although workers had to evacuate the site, preliminary reports show that damage was minimal. This time, the damaged reactors dodged the bullet. But time is not on the side of the utility as it scrambles to contain the damage. It is a race against time, with the utility trying to stabilize the situation even as the reactors degrade with time.

The basic problem was revealed by the NRC's (Reactor Safety Team), which drafted a report that combined the collective assessment of nuclear physicists and engineers around the world. Contrary to the rosy press releases by the utility, this report revealed the true depth of the nuclear accident.

assessment at link bigthink.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Here we see a repeat of what ATS members have been saying all along:

Chernobyl recovery officer criticises Japan's efforts at Fukushima

Soviet efforts to contain the Chernobyl nuclear disaster a quarter of a century ago were far better than Japan's "slow-motion" response to the disaster at Fukushima, a leading member of the 1986 recovery effort said.

In a rare interview on the eve of the 25th anniversary of Chernobyl on Monday, Col-Gen Nikolai Antoshkin said he was shocked at how poorly Japan had coped with its own nuclear disaster.

"Right at the start when there was not yet a big leak of radiation they (the Japanese) wasted time.

And then they acted in slow-motion," he said.

The Soviets had evacuated 44,600 people within two and a half hours and put them up in "normal comfortable conditions" on the same day, he recalled.

"Look at advanced Japan," he said. "People are housed in stadiums and are lying about on the floors of sports halls in unhygienic conditions."

Telegraph link

edit on 26-4-2011 by AlaskanDad because: fix code

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
found these 2 paragraphs interesting, apologies if anyone's posted it before....

Nuclear Fuel Cycle Issues

Japan increasingly relies on nuclear power for its electricity needs, and has a highly developed civilian nuclear sector. With almost no indigenous energy sources, Japan's nuclear energy accounts for over 30% of the country's total electricity production, and Japan plans to increase this to 41% by 2017 and 50% by 2030. Currently, Japan has 54 nuclear power reactors in operation across the country (the third largest number of power reactors after the United States and France). Two more new reactors are under construction and 11 additional reactors are planned. Japan has a controversial program for recycling spent nuclear fuel that has produced large quantities of plutonium in the form of metal-oxide nuclear fuel. [11] As of January 2008, Japan possessed 38.0 metric tons of spent fuel stored at reprocessing plants in Britain and France, along with a domestic stockpile of 8.7 metric tons. [12] All of the nuclear fuel stockpile will ultimately return to Japan for use in domestic nuclear facilities. The original plan called for consumption of the stored fuel by 2010, but due to technical and safety issues, this timetable has been delayed and the return of the stored fuel to Japan is proceeding slowly. Some argue this material could provide Japan with a latent nuclear weapons capability. This amount of plutonium, if further processed for use in nuclear weapons, would be sufficient for approximately 10,000 warheads.

Japan's strong commitment to the development of a self-sufficient plutonium-based nuclear fuel cycle led to the construction of the Rokkasho spent fuel recycling complex in Aomori Prefecture (Northernmost prefecture of Japan's Main Island). This will be the first commercial nuclear fuel reprocessing plant in Japan, and the first one in an NPT non-nuclear weapon state. Despite strong criticism and opposition both domestically and internationally, the reprocessing plant started active testing on 31 March 2006. Once the reprocessing plant moves beyond the testing phase to become commercially operational, it will separate and stockpile up to eight megatons of plutonium annually. The Rokkasho reprocessing plant was originally scheduled to become operational in November 2008, a date subsequently pushed back to October 2010. [13] However, complications during test operations caused Japan Nuclear Fuel Ltd. to postpone this date again by approximately two years, resulting in a new estimated operational date of sometime in 2012. [14] This is the 18th postponement so far. [15]

www.nti.org...

"due to technical and safety issues"

&

"complications during test operations"

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
"No isotopes of iodine, cesium from Fukushima NPP found in Sea of Japan"

No isotopes of iodine or cesium from Japan’s Fukushima-1 nuclear power plant damaged by the March 11 earthquake have been found in the Sea of Japan, Alexander Sevastyanov, a member of an expedition launched by the Russian Geographical Society, has told reporters. The aim of the expedition is to monitor radiation levels in the water and air and to study the effects of radioactive contamination on the ecosystem and sea inhabitants. The expedition followed the dumping of highly radioactive water from the Fukushima plant into the ocean.

none? ...huh?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
French System For Cleaning Fukushima Water Blamed For Leukemia, Polluted Beaches In Europe

The process a French firm will use to clean Fukushima’s radioactive water has been blamed for a leukemia cluster in France and for polluted beaches and irradiated waters from the English Channel to the Arctic Sea.

Areva SA has promised to remove up to 99.99 percent of the radioactive contaminants in 67,500 tons of water flooding the crippled Fukushima-Dai-ichi nuclear plant. It will use a co-precipitation method employed at its La Hague nuclear fuel reprocessing facility in Normandy.

That process has been documented in detail by a French nuclear expert and by the U.S. government, which has shunned France’s fuel reprocessing method because of “a nonproliferation concern and environmental concerns,” in the words of Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko.

Forbes link
[/EX]

edit on 26-4-2011 by AlaskanDad because: fixed missing link added comment

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

The dumping is into the Pacific Ocean. The Sea of Japan is essentially a strait, and likely the tides pull the radiation out into the Pacific, so little recirculates to the Sea.

Picture of current.

edit on 2011/4/26 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 787  788  789    791  792  793 >>

join