It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 789.htm
<< 786  787  788    790  791  792 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
A little insight behind the forced "So Sorries" Expect no admissions.

How did Japan's nuclear industry become so arrogant?

What has stood out at the countless press conferences by Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), and the Cabinet Office's Nuclear Safety Commission (NSC) of Japan that I've attended in covering the crisis at the Fukushima nuclear plant, is the rampant use of cliches such as "unanticipated state of affairs" and "unprecedented natural disaster."

The excuses made by the organizations involved go to show that so-called nuclear power experts have no intention to self reflect or admit their shortcomings. It was this self-righteousness -- evidenced over the years in the industry's suppression of unfavorable warnings and criticisms, as well as in their imposition of the claim that the safety of nuclear energy was self evident -- that lay down the groundwork for the accident at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant.

At press conferences, TEPCO officials repeatedly express their "deep apologies" for the trouble caused to the Japanese people. However, as soon as reporters' questions turn to the actual safety of nuclear power stations -- about which they had long boasted a multilayered safety system referred to as "defense in depth" -- they begin to act coolly. Their speech may feign civility, but they never admit to any wrongdoing and merely keep insisting the righteousness of their own claims. When particularly unflattering questions are posed to them, some TEPCO executives glower at the reporters who dared to ask and give only a brusque response.

A good read and look back at the nuclear MO in Japan

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
April 26 news bits of truth...Notice when WE start discussing R4...Tepco "leaks" (pun intended) some type of info on it...

High concentration of radioactive water found in Fukushima's No. 4 reactor

IIRC, the tunnel height is approx 15 feet.

A concentration of radioactive water in the basement of the No. 4 reactor's turbine building at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant became abnormally high, reaching a maximum of 250 times normal monthly levels, according to Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) on April 26.

The utility found that the samples contained 8,100 becquerels of cesium-137 (half-life about 30 years) and 7,800 becquerels of cesium-134 (half-life about 2 years), up about 250 times from the previous survey on March 24. Also found in the fresh samples were 4,300 becquerels of iodine-131 (half-life about 8 days), about 12 times higher than the March probe.

The depth of water as of 7 a.m. on April 26 stood at 1.15 meters, up 25 centimeters from April 13.

And this bit of data, confirmed what we've thought all along...

The turbine buildings of the No. 3 and 4 reactors are connected through an electric product room, where power panels and other equipment are located, leading TEPCO officials to speculate that water being pumped into the No. 3 unit is believed to be leaking into the No. 4 unit through a cable gap and other reasons.
mdn.mainichi.jp...

ETA: So, even though TEPCO has been mum on R4...that pesky reactor just won't cooperate..

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
More ripples, and "you'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers..."attitude from TEPCO pres.

TEPCO president to resign over scandal

English.news.cn 2011-04-26 12:33:20

BEIJING, April 26 (Xinhuanet) -- TEPCO's President has hinted that he will resign in order to take responsibility for the Fukushima disaster, but an exact timeline has not been decided. TEPCO President Masataka Shimizu was grilled by minority party lawmakers in a debate dedicated to the response to the nuclear crisis.

TEPCO has been accused of downplaying the dangers and ignoring warnings about the risk of a quake and tsunami striking the plant, as well as reacting poorly to the disaster. When asked whether he planned on resigning, Shimizu confirmed he would be stepping down.

Masataka Shimizu,President,Tokyo Electric Power Company(TEPCO), said, "In terms of taking responsibility, I do believe there should be some sort of punishment. However, we are still in the midst of trying to deal with the current situation and there are quite a few obstacles still ahead. As such, I am still unsure of when this would happen."

(Source: CNTV.cn) news.xinhuanet.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

The Board of Directors should not accept his resignation. They should reassign him to the fire hoses alongside workers aiming water at the SFPs and reactors and scraping up debris. If he wants to take responsibility then that is how you take responsibility. Shame on him. Shame on the Board of Directors. Shame on TEPCO. Shame on Japan if they allow him to simply walk away to greener unradiated pastures. Allowing him to just walk away is the exact opposite of taking responsibility.

So sorry Masataka Shimizu. Your resignation is NOT accepted. You ARE needed to replace the workers you have already put to death.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Very honest take on TEPCO lying, and things are much worse than is being told. Says, Japan is at great risk.
If you have not seen this vid. approx 10 mins...you really should...JMOHO though.

Professor Christopher Busby: Can't seal Fukushima like Chernobyl - it all goes into sea.

Professor Christopher Busby, the Scientific Secretary of the European Committee on Radiation Risks, believes that the Japanese have been very lax in the way they evacuated people from the exclusion zone. He thinks that the zone should be expanded to a 60-70km radius.

Busby thinks that if a sarcophagus is put over Fukushima-1, the nuclear fuel might go underground and get washed away by the sea. The US has already started picking up contaminated material with high concentrations of uranium and plutonium washed up on its coastline, he says.

Christopher Busby also thinks that TEPCO has concealed the fact that one of the explosions at Fukushima was not a gas blast, but a nuclear reaction.

“The nuclear industry has a history of duplicity and cover-up. I believe it probably was a nuclear explosion, not in the reactor, but in the tanks that contains the spent fuel. It seems almost certain now that there was some kind of nuclear explosion in the tank that contained the plutonium fuel rods. Anyone who saw that enormous explosion on the video would not have believed that it was a hydrogen explosion,” says Busby.

www.youtube.com...

ps, if some kind soul could embed this vid, would be of great help TIA.

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

hi DWW,

i agree wholeheartedly about the poor unnamed workers... i fear, however, that our wishes may not be granted... i posted a link quite a while back, with a short vid of a TEPCO rep being interviewed... the interviewer mentioned that the workers are heroes & the rep responded, to paraphrase -

"they are not heroes, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing"

i can find the link if it's required... (however, an article in one of my other links that i retraced a couple of days ago had been replaced with a totally different article
)

i think of the workers every day... the conditions they are working in, & "living" in, how this will be affecting their physical & mental health, as well as their (own, personally perceived) spiritual health

sadly, i cannot help but regard them essentially as "prisoners" there now... other than thoughts & fears of their loved ones, every waking moment must be an inconceivable, non-stop nightmare of work rotas, with no foreseeable end... i was very concerned, though not surprised, that a physician was given so little time to assess them, considering that these are some of the people japan & the world is depending on to try & resolve the problems

eta - actually, i'm gonna go find that link anyway
edit on 26-4-2011 by pattonisit because: michaelschmichael

eta - found it, just for posterity, link to vid still works - www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 26-4-2011 by pattonisit because: der golum

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

The Board of Directors should not accept his resignation. They should reassign him to the fire hoses alongside workers aiming water at the SFPs and reactors and scraping up debris. If he wants to take responsibility then that is how you take responsibility. Shame on him. Shame on the Board of Directors. Shame on TEPCO. Shame on Japan if they allow him to simply walk away to greener unradiated pastures. Allowing him to just walk away is the exact opposite of taking responsibility.

So sorry Masataka Shimizu. Your resignation is NOT accepted. You ARE needed to replace the workers you have already put to death.

DWW, I agree with you...but, it won't happen. What I surmise will happen, now that TEPCO has announced that all top execs will have their pay cut by 50%, is, a lot of them will take early retirement. If they get out fast enough, they'll probably be able to get a nice severance package to boot. Makes me sick to even think about.

Des

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

here u go des

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Radiation Expert: “Sr-90 and Uranium and Particulates Will Be Building Up in the USA and Europe … For Now I Think It Prudent To Stop Drinking Milk”

Professor Busby:

I attach my “don’t panic” paper. However, since then I have re-thought this advice as the thing is still fissioning and releasing 10 to the fourteen becquerels a day. This will mean that Sr-90 [strontium 90] and Uranium and particulates will be building up in the USA and Europe. I will assess this later but for now I think it prudent to stop drinking milk. I also attach the particulates note.

Fukuparticles2 link

Meanwhile, in the good ole U.S. of A.:

Someone needs to nudge the needle (kick some butt) at the EPA monitoring. They are stuck on rinse and repeat. No mention of the plutonium and the other iums being detected. Their complicity needs remembering in the times to come. Useless (non)data posted below.

April 25, 2011

As of 9:00 am (EDT) EPA's RadNet radiation air monitors across the U.S. show typical fluctuations in background radiation levels. The levels detected are far below levels of concern.

Today, EPA also released new data for precipitation and milk. Results for precipitation have detected low levels of radioactive material consistent with estimated releases from the damaged nuclear reactors. These detections were expected and the levels detected are far below levels of public-health concern.

To view the most recent sampling and monitoring data, go to www.epa.gov...
April 22, 2011

As of 9:00 am (EDT) EPA's RadNet radiation air monitors across the U.S. show typical fluctuations in background radiation levels. The levels detected are far below levels of concern.

Today, EPA also released new data for drinking water, precipitation and milk. Results for precipitation and drinking water have detected low levels of radioactive material consistent with estimated releases from the damaged nuclear reactors. These detections were expected and the levels detected are far below levels of public-health concern.

To view the most recent sampling and monitoring data, go to www.epa.gov...
April 21, 2011

Useless link to the EPA

edit on 26-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: Removed dup video

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

Pattonisit and DWW...you both rock

Thank You both for embedding the important vid.

It keeps amazing me, This monster thread embodies the true spirit of cooperation.

Des

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Mama Nature won't cooperate either...

M 5.0, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan
36.124°N 140.068°E

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:12:00 UTC
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 09:12:00 PM at epicenter

Depth: 51.70 km (32.12 mi)

Posted on 26 April 2011 | 12:12 pm

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
As the available information gets scarce - searches in Japanese may help find nuggets before they are deleted. I found this helpful list on a forum of nuclear physicists also digging...hope this helps.

Fukushima: 福島
Daiichi: 第一
Nuclear power plant: 原子力発電所 or just 原発

Tokyo Electric: 東京電力 or 東電

Reactor: 原子炉
Pressure vessel: 圧力容器
Containment vessel: 格納容器
Spent Fuel Pool: 使用済み核燃料貯蔵プール

Unit 1: 1号機
Unit 2: 2号機

Hydrogen: 水素
Explosion: 爆発

Radioactivity: 放射能
Radiation: 放射線
Radioactive: 放射性
Contamination: 汚染

Earthquake: 地震
Tsunami: 津波

source
edit on 26-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by pattonisit
i think of the workers every day... the conditions they are working in, & "living" in, how this will be affecting their physical & mental health, as well as their (own, personally perceived) spiritual health

sadly, i cannot help but regard them essentially as "prisoners" there now...

How long are these workers allowed to operate in worse than Chernobyl like conditions?
Obviously the same guys can't just keep going in day after day. There must be a limit.

What I'm wondering is, where are the next tranche(s) of workers coming from, and just how many will be needed to eventually sort out this mess to at least some degree.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This video shows how radiation readings can be "controlled" by exactly how and where the readings are taken in and around Fukushima. I imagine TEPCO knows this and uses this "technique." Not in English, but numbers are the universal language.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

aaaaa i almost forgot to actually watch your vid! i was momentarily lost in a pile of my old posts looking for an old link

cheers for reminding me

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Greetings:

And the beat goes on.

LiveLink

April 6th, 2011

Confidential U.S. document reveals “new threats” at Fukushima:
Risk of explosions inside containment structures…
“Likely no water” in No. 1 reactor core
“Could persist indefinitely”

U.S. Sees Array of New Threats at Japan’s Nuclear Plant

United States government engineers sent to help with the crisis in Japan are warning that the troubled nuclear plant there is facing a wide array of fresh threats that could persist indefinitely, and that in some cases are expected to increase as a result of the very measures being taken to keep the plant stable, according to a confidential assessment [dated March 26] prepared by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The Times’ article spotlighted several items of extreme importance:

• “Semimolten” fuel rods and salt are “impeding the flow of fresh water meant to cool the nuclear cores” in ALL THREE REACTORS

• The water flow in reactor No. 1 “is severely restricted and likely blocked“

• Similar problems exist in No. 2 and No. 3, although the blockage is probably less severe

• “There is likely no water level” inside the core of reactor No. 1

• There is a possibility of “explosions inside the containment structures”

Read the article here.

We believe you read it first on ATS ... great job, team!

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
"POSSIBLE" (review by ATS needed) photos/video of #4 explosion.

9:50 in this video is the explosion on video referring to SPF in Unit 4.

source

ETA: Can anyone translate this part or find a subtitled version of this video? I really, really, really want to understand this entire video. What I wouldn't give for a babel fish right now.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

wow, excellent vid & excellent find, thanks... i like him, & i like his snazzy dress sense even better

seriously though, it's getting beyond frustrating trying to get this message through to people i personally know - as i know other members have been/are experiencing too... it's almost like living in a duel-world sometimes... life goes on with heads in sand kinda thing, not that i can't fully blame people for that, but i could SCREAM

my own input here is minimal, which bothers me really... i guess my class report is saying "must work harder"

i really appreciate there are people here who are understanding & on the ball... i keep saying this, but thank you everyone, for your time & great work

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

that is the first time Ive seen those pics......

.. thank you everyone.... your hard work is SO SO appreciated.....

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Ummm....ya...are these...

Schematics?

Morning crew out. Great work all - thank you.

top topics

<< 786  787  788    790  791  792 >>

join