It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 787.htm
<< 784  785  786    788  789  790 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

So, in the event of the much foretold solar X-flare, etc the whole damn Island will glow like a frakin' night light.

Lovely.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
My Fukushima miniature model demonstration going LIVE in Loviisa nuclear city, Finland, after two hours: webcam

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Japan's tsunami waves top historic heights

By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY

www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-04-24-Japan-record-tsunami-waves.htm

Tsunami waves topped 60 feet or more as they broke onshore following Japan’s earthquake, according to some of the first surveys measuring the impact along the afflicted nation’s entire coast. Some waves grew to more than 100 feet high, breaking historic records, as they squeezed between fingers of land surrounding port towns.

The tsunami was born when the magnitude-9.0 earthquake struck March 11 about 45 miles off Japan’s coast. The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake lifted and then dropped a slab of seafloor 50 miles wide and more than 180 miles long. The force shifted the seafloor nearly 80 feet westward above the quake center.

(...)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Wow guys - I've been poking around on Google using terms in Japanese for this.

There are literally only two sources of Japanese information. The worst types of conspiracy theorists - the ones mixing the concerns with a whole lot of nonsensical spam (and I mean spam in the original usenet Monty Pythonesque way) or the government and Tepco.

That's **IT**.

I'm rather horrified by the level of disdain that this shows. Anyone who is concerned is directed with their concerns to the insane AND useless, or to people who are lying to them by exclusion but with nicer websites.

I'm disgusted.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Styrge

I'll be in bed. Are you going to record and upload?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by AlaskanDad

I would absolutely presume that all seawee/vegetables are contaminated. These are the ocean's filters. Which is why they are excellent sources of nutrition, but also why they are excellent points for accumulation of radioactivity.

A big bloom this year followed by a mass die-off would be handy.

Greetings:

Check this out.

Here's something to think about - an interesting read, to say the least.

March 24, 2011

Radioactive substances and their impact on health

Countries around the world have either banned or stepped up tests on imports from quake-stricken Japan after radioactive substances were found in its food and water following blasts at a nuclear plant.

Exposure to large amounts of radioactivity can cause nausea, vomiting, hair loss, diarrhea, hemorrhage, destruction of the intestinal lining, central nervous system damage, and death.
It also causes DNA damage and raises the risk of cancer, particularly in young children and fetuses.

Below are the three radioactive substances health experts are most concerned about, the detected levels in Japan, and what they mean for human health:

IODINE-131

Leafy green vegetables in Japan were found this week to contain up to 22,000 becquerels of iodine-131 for every kilogram.

Such a level exceeds the limit set by the European Union by 11 times. Becquerel is a measure of radioactivity.

Eating a kilogram (slightly more than two pounds) of such vegetables would give half the amount of radiation typically received by the average person from the natural environment in a year.

Eating this amount every day for 45 days will accumulate 50 millisieverts, the annual radiation limit set for a nuclear plant worker. Millisievert quantifies the amount of radiation absorbed by human tissues.

Exposure to 100 millisieverts a year increases the risk of cancer. That is equivalent to about three whole body CT scans.

If inhaled or swallowed, iodine-131 concentrates in the thyroid gland and increases the risk of thyroid cancer. Children, fetuses and young adults are especially vulnerable.

The risk of thyroid cancer can be lowered by taking potassium iodide pills, which helps prevent the uptake of the radioactive iodine.

However, iodine-131 disintegrates relatively quickly and its radioactivity is halved every 8 days. This means it loses all its harmfulness in 80 days.

Cesium-134 and Cesium-137

Vegetables in Japan have also been tainted with up to 14,000 becquerels of cesium for every kilogram.

That exceeds the EU limit by over 11 times.

Eating a kilogram of such tainted vegetables every day for a month would accumulate radiation equivalent to a full body CT scan - or 20 millisieverts.

External exposure to large amounts of radioactive cesium can cause burns, acute radiation sickness and death. It can also increase the risk of cancer. Ingesting or inhaling cesium allows it to be distributed in soft tissues, especially muscle tissue, increasing cancer risk. It can also cause spasms, involuntary muscular contractions and infertility.

Unlike iodine, uptake of radioactive cesium cannot be prevented once the person is exposed.

This substance is of more concern than iodine-131 because it is very hardy and takes far longer to disintegrate.

Cesium-137 has a half life of 30 years, meaning it takes that long to reduce its radioactivity by half. It will take at least 240 years for this contaminant to exhaust all its radioactivity.

Cesium-134 has a half life of 2 years, which means it will take about 20 years for it to become harmless.

Below are the effects of short-term, high-level exposure to radiation, as published by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Unlike cancer, these effects from acute radiation exposure usually appear quickly, causing what is known as radiation sickness, which includes symptoms like nausea, hair loss and skin burns. If the dose is fatal, death usually occurs within two months.

- Exposure to 50-100 millisieverts: changes in blood chemistry.

- 500: nausea, within hours.

- 700: vomiting

- 750: hair loss, within 2-3 weeks

- 900: diarrhea

1,000: hemorrhage

- 4,000: possible death within 2 months, if no treatment

- 10,000: destruction of intestinal lining, internal bleeding and death within 1-2 weeks

-20,000: damage to the central nervous system and loss of consciousness within minutes, and death within hours or days.

Sources: Taiwan Atomic Energy Council, World Nuclear Association, US Environmental Protection Agency, Japan's Ministry of Health, Hong Kong's Center for Food Safety

(Compiled by Tan Ee Lyn, Editing by Daniel Magnowski)

source

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by commercialoligarchy
When they said weeks ago that the ground water was 15 million times normal
then retracted it, and now again the suppression chamber reading at 5000 seiverts, we should expect
a recalculation Tuesday, much lower, then in 2 weeks we will find out it was true

its a formula
edit on 25-4-2011 by commercialoligarchy because: whatever

The last 3 words should become in the thoughts of all humans a message...

The message should read something like this: this is the formula of the Powers that be for their plan of destruction of 90% of earths population-------mods I assure you this is very much "on topic".

Their reasoning would be that TPTB know beyond any doubt they can no longer create a hold on this large a population...and they must get rid of billions as soon as possible...they can no longer have a substantive hold on earths population's spiritual awakening to the truth...

Every "real human" on our planet is then left with the thought; how do we get rid of them, before they get rid of us?

I had been looking for some time for a nexus to many things on this site...

Any ideas welcomed...
edit on 25-4-2011 by Communicater because: addition

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
news.163.com...

Interesting excerpt - and much to my horror, apparently even the CHINESE are more liberal with their information.

Reactor one isn't under control - it is drowned. Not the same damn thing.

Nuclear power plant "water coffin" high-temperature operation down.

According to Japanese news network reported that the first nuclear power plant in Fukushima No. 1 nuclear reactor is implementing the "Water coffin" operation. Furnace atomic fuel rods there since most of the phenomenon of melt-down, high temperature diminished, so plan to atomic furnace all filled with water in order to implement artificial cooling. To 23 so far, atomic furnace has a depth of 6 meters of water.

Tokyo Electric Power Company said the No. 1 furnace atomic reactor fuel rods, 70% have injuries, and this is the first nuclear power plant in Fukushima 6 reactors, fuel rods, one of the largest nuclear reactor damage. So far, the staff has been injected into the furnace to 7,000 tons of water atoms, so that the furnace temperature at low temperature.

East Power Company hoped that through this "water coffin" operations, to prevent further increase in furnace temperature atoms.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Deutsche Presse-Agentur - Levels of radioactive water rise at Japan's damaged nuclear plant

Apr 26, 2011, 0:51 GMT

www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asiapacific/news/article_1635100.php

Tokyo - The levels of radioactive water in reactors at the damaged Fukushima nuclear power plant have risen and the levels of radioactive caesium and iodine have multiplied over the past month, a news report said Tuesday.

Those were the latest developments in the weeks-old struggle by plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) to bring under control what has become the world's second worst nuclear plant crisis.

The levels of caesium-134 and 137 increased about 250-fold and iodine-131 increased about 12 times compared with one month ago, NHK said, citing the operator. That level of contamination requires TEPCO to prioritize the transfer or disposal of the rapidly rising water, the operator said.

(...)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
As for the 4000 Sv/h, although I am not saying you guys are all full of crap, but the fissioning reactor of Chernobyl that blew up only reached 300 Sv/h.

Those two numbers do not add up as the Chernobyl core was in the process of fission when it was exposed, so unless this plant is doing something funny the numbers are not adding up.

I understand the spent fuel, sure, but there is a reason why it is "spent". It is not close to being as reactive as the enriched uranium in the fissioning core.

Maybe I'm missing something though, which I very well could be.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Agence France Presse - Chernobyl survivor warns of 'bombshell' in Japan
Posted: 26 April 2011 1016 hrs

www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1124886/1/.html

TOKYO: A survivor of the Chernobyl disaster says people exposed to radiation from Japan's crippled nuclear plant will spend the rest of their lives fearing the "bombshell" of cancer and other dire illnesses.

Tuesday marks the 25th anniversary of the world's worst nuclear calamity and coincides with efforts to stop radiation seeping from the Fukushima plant after its cooling systems were knocked out by an earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

"The Fukushima accident is like the twin brother of Chernobyl," said Pavel Vdovichenko, 59, who had already accepted an invitation from Japanese anti-nuclear groups to join a rally marking a quarter-century since Chernobyl.

"People in the two places have to suffer long-time hardship," Vdovichenko, a Russian, told AFP through an interpreter. "People in Chernobyl suffered from cancer after the accident. A similar thing may happen to Fukushima."

(...)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I suspect four was being used as storage for spent fuel. Lots of it. More than there should have been. Plus, I suspect four is the site of the not-a-weapons-program "knowledge transfer" collaboration between the Japanese, some other country/organization/agency with the French as brokers in the deal.

Anyways - that's what I suspect.

The numbers aren't MINE. They are published at the site that okiecowboy gave. I screenshot them, so that you can see them. He's right, the graph for four isn't available a the main page, but when viewed directly the graph is there and it clearly shows it.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 9:00 AM
www.tepco.co.jp...
wanted to post the image of the graph.... to show that the readings are steadily going down at all check points.
I'll figure it out when no one is awake.

edit on 25-4-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
see below

edit on 26-4-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Press Release (Apr 25,2011)
Out flow of fluid containing radioactive materials to the ocean from areas near intake canal of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 2 (continued report 21)

On April 24th, 2011, we collected samples from the water in the pit and
the seawater in front of the bar screen near the pit, and conducted
nuclide analyses of radioactive materials in the water. As a result,
some radioactive materials were detected as described in the exhibit.
Accordingly, we have reported the result of the analyses to NISA and
the government of Fukushima Prefecture.

* pit: a vertical shaft made of concrete

They go on to link the other information on the above page.
I love how they have to describe what a pit it is

edit on 26-4-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Yeah, I knew the numbers were not yours, I should have been more clear about that.
I was questioning the source.

The idea of 4,000 Sv/h is very, very high. With chernobyl's fission core at 300 Sv/h and depleted fuel being, well, depleted, it would be harder for it to reach criticality. Even if it reached criticality the enriched uranium is so depleted that it could be no where close to that output in Sv/h. Not even the molten fuel reached that high.

If they were doing something r&d it would be a big deal to reach that number as it is closer to a nuclear bomb radiation.

It's just weird, wish there was more than one source.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Arnie takes a look back over the last 6 weeks of the Fukushima disaster to discern what lessons learned should be applied to the future of the nuclear industry in US.

"Clearly what we thought on March 10th was worst case, is in fact not worse case at all." Arnie Gunderson

"USNRC says containments don't leak. Says there is 0% probability that containments will leak." AG

Well I guess we are all just dillusional

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
now want to try to explain those readings from a reactor that was shut down since nov 2010 and a slightly damaged spent fuel pool?

Explanation is simple they lied and hid this data

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
ETA: Would be interesting to also track the tide action, high low, and compare it to rates of radiation data for those same time periods....If what we all think is true, high tides should correspond with much higher readings.

5000 SIEVERTS per hour errr just how much higher you want to see it?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Yikes, 5 Kilo sieverts per hour. It'll be great to find out how reactor 4 is sustaining that type of number. The good news is, #4 is still supposedly contained...
EDIT: oops, I originally put 5 mega sieverts, which is 5,000,000 sieverts. Luckily it's not that high or I think we'd all be dead

edit on 4/26/2011 by Gumshoe because: Typo

edit on 4/26/2011 by Gumshoe because: I'm a dummy

new topics

top topics

<< 784  785  786    788  789  790 >>

join