It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 784.htm
<< 781  782  783    785  786  787 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

These people want to move their stuff?

Get your pictures, get your papers, and MOVE. Your couch isn't that goddamn important.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Communicater

There is no way you can achieve thyroid saturation with iodized salt, kelp or any other natural product.

Saturation doses are:

130mg/day for adults
65mg/day for children 3-18
32mg/day for children 1 month-3 years
16mg/day birth-1 month

Iodized salt has 400ug/teaspoon so you would need to consume 400 teaspoons of salt (about a kilogram) daily for the duration of the emergency or 10 days (maximum saturation levels). This would kill you quicker than any radiation would. As for kelp the average is 1000-1500ug/pill. I'm not going to be eating 100-130 pills a day either.

There is NO substitute for KI or KI03. Period.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

These people want to move their stuff?

Get your pictures, get your papers, and MOVE. Your couch isn't that goddamn important.

I'm afraid that is exactly what it will come down to. As the time limit for getting out runs head-on into the Gov't deadline, so many will lose the last vestiges of the only life they know. It doesn't help, that Japan is saying, all is fine out of one side of their face, then telling them, get out, you can't live here now, out of the other side.

Des

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Anybody want to tell me what the daily dosage and substance that is necessary to stop uptake of cesium, plutonium, uranium, strontium into my children's bodies is for the next 30 - 10,000 years?

Thanks.

Please sense the irony here. But hey, if you got an answer put'er up.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
We are not alone...censor this Japan

Physicians for Social Responsibility to Host Press Conference on Lessons from Fukushima and Chernobyl for U.S. Public Health

WASHINGTON, April 25, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR), Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass) and the Institute for Policy Studies' Robert Alvarez will hold a joint press conference on Tuesday, April 26 on the ongoing impact of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster to public health 25 years after the accident, the continuing nuclear catastrophe in Fukushima, Japan, and the lessons from both for U.S. public health and safety. PSR will be unveiling a new online interactive Evacuation Zone Map.

PSR doctors will outline how accidents such as Chernobyl and Fukushima pose a threat to the public's health and the real challenges of implementing evacuation plans in the event of an accident, especially near major metropolitan areas. Speakers will cover the latest findings regarding radiation exposure, the medical response to nuclear reactor accidents, and the implications of Fukushima and Chernobyl for US energy policy. .

WHAT: "Radiation, Nuclear Power and the Risks to Public Health: Chernobyl, Fukushima and the Future of Nuclear Energy."
WHEN: Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
WHERE: National Press Club, First Amendment Lounge

ABOUT PHYSICIANS FOR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY (PSR)

Founded in 1961 by physicians concerned about the impact of nuclear proliferation, PSR shared the 1985 Nobel Peace Prize with International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War for building public pressure to end the nuclear arms race. Since 1991, when PSR formally expanded its work by creating its environment and health program, PSR has addressed the issues of global warming and the toxic degradation of our environment. PSR educates and advocates for policies to generate a sustainable energy future, curb global warming, ensure clean air, and prevent human exposures to toxic substances. More information is available at www.psr.org.

www.prnewswire.com... ublic-health-120595299.html

Des

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Anybody want to tell me what the daily dosage and substance that is necessary to stop uptake of cesium, plutonium, uranium, strontium into my children's bodies is for the next 30 - 10,000 years?

Thanks.

Please sense the irony here. But hey, if you got an answer put'er up.
That would be nice, if there was something, I don't think there is anything.

The only thing that they hand out to the people that live near Three Mile Island (in case of emergency) are the Iodine tablets, and that only works with radioactive iodine.

Unlike iodine, uptake of radioactive cesium cannot be prevented once the person is exposed.

SOURCE:

Reuters

This link covers cesium and iodine.

Then I found this site, don't know how much faith I would have in it...

Inspirednutrition.com

* Melatonin: Studies in Oncology and Mutation Research suggest melatonin helps protect from “lethal effects of acute whole-body irradiation”. (Vijayalaxmi et al. 1999) "As melatonin administration reversed oxidative organ injury, as assessed by biochemical and histopathological findings, it is suggested that supplementing cancer patients with adjuvant therapy of melatonin may have some benefit for successful radiotherapy." Melatonin protects against ionizing radiation-induced oxidative damage in corpus cavernosum and urinary bladder in rats. These results allow us to draw the following conclusions: adaptive response (to radiation) can be prevented by a radioprotector such as melanin, and melanin is capable of completely removing low-dose radiation effects. Melanin decreases clastogenic effects of ionizing radiation in human and mouse somatic cells and modifies the radioadaptive response.

edit on 25-4-2011 by butcherguy because: to add.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I feel so badly for everyone. Except PM Kan, who is always a day late, and a dollar short, implementing anything beneficial to anyone, but him. Part of me also says, reading between the ripples here, there has been a lot of concern about the leaving of dead bodies, and warmer temps, creating a whole new Pandora's box to deal with. I can't imagine the horror, those poor worker/soldiers are going through. How many of them must be worried about radiation. When even the moving firms won't come to the areas to move people out...what must be going through their minds.

Global
After robots fail, Kan sends 25,000 troops to search for Japan tsunami victims

Prime Minister Kan sent troops, helicopters, and planes to the northeast coast to recover bodies still missing from the Japan tsunami. Kan has come under attack for his handling of the disaster.

By Justin McCurry, Correspondent / April 25, 2011
Tokyo

Japan on Monday launched its biggest search yet for thousands of bodies yet to be recovered more than six weeks after a powerful tsunami wrecked the country’s northeast coast. With much of the area still in tatters and the government's approval rating at an all-time low, the cabinet of Prime Minister Kan faces mounting pressure to perform – or to let someone else take the nation's helm.

The operation follows last week's five-day search mission that involved underwater US and Japanese robots. It failed to uncover any bodies, but officials were hopeful that the latest attempt would be more successful since water levels have receded. They warned that corpses would be unrecognizable and their age and gender difficult to determine due to decomposition.

Here's that pesky anger issue again...

Prime Minister Kan is facing withering criticism for his handling of the triple disaster of an earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear crisis. Opinion polls show falling public support for the leader, and his Democratic Party of Japan fared miserably in local elections held over the past two weeks.

Most judgment has been focused on his handling of the situation at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, where at least a partial meltdown and radiation leaks have led to a 12-mile-wide evacuation zone and forced at least 80,000 residents out of their homes, with no indication of when they will be able to return.

"I am absolutely not thinking about abandoning my responsibilities," he told the upper house budget committee Monday, as Japanese troops mobilized their search operation off the northeast coast.... www.csmonitor.com...

Translation: "I've got power. You'll have to pry it from my dead little money grubbing fingers"...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoAngel2u
Unfortunately the site is not cooperating with me when I try to upload and image it just loops me back to log in, so was only able to provide the link.
Would be lovely if someone else would post the image.

problem is you can't post a pdf image
But its much better to view the PDF. I see also that they have other maps with readings taken from earlier in the event. Interesting

Nice find
Saved them all

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

IFAW Convenes Nuclear Radiation Experts for Landmark Animal Rescue Summit in Japan

www.prnewswire.com...

Thanks Des

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Agence France Presse - Thousands in France mark Chernobyl with protests

By Arnaud Bouvier (AFP)

www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g-RY6At4kvtH2P31Nk5xiUeIr8mw

STRASBOURG, France — Thousands staged anti-nuclear protests around France on Monday, demanding reactors be closed on the eve of the 25th anniversary of Chernobyl and after Japan's Fukushima nuclear accident.

Between 6,000 and 9,000 mostly German activists took to different bridges on the Rhine between Germany and France, AFP journalists reported, with the main Easter Monday demonstration involving hundreds in a so-called "die in" at Strasbourg.

The protest at the midway point on the Pont de l'Europe joining Strasbourg in eastern France and Kehl in Germany aimed to show that "radioactivity knows no borders," said organiser Remi Verdet.

"We're here to remind people that zero risk does not exist," he said.

(...)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Dr. Saji's diary has been updated through the 24th, even though the top still says "last update april 17". sorry I don't have time to go through it right now, but I wanted to let you all know.

ambersharick.com

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Chernobyl: radioactive jungle...and new tourist hot spot
Nearly a quarter of a century has passed since the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl. The ill-fated power plant lies abandoned in a jungle of overgrown weeds and forest, like an apocalyptic sci-fi movie set. Yet the site of the world’s biggest nuclear catastrophe is attracting a growing number of tourists.

observers.france24.com...

France 24 just was on with a story about the people returning and growing vegetables and eating contaminated foods out of nessecity, very sad.
I saw children playing too.
Hopefully I can get the link to work that leads to more info.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

A good morning to you!
Thanks for your kind words and your inquiry!

Originally posted by thorfourwinds
As a person in the bull's eye, in the closest state to the crippled reactors, perhaps you can share with us the prevalent feeling regarding USGOV/EPA/FDA response (or not) to the developing situation in your lovely state.
Does the average citizen understand the stance of those who are expected to actually care for the citizens of Alaska - and - by extension - the citizens of the world who consume food from Alaska fisheries?

I think this sums it up nicely and moves it away from being just my opinion:
One of our Alaskan political blogs Progressive Alaska ran a poll asking:

Do You Trust Alaska's Leaders to Protect Us from Radiation from Japan?

The poll closed with 120 responses 18 said yes - 112 said no they do not trust our leaders response to protect us.

To tell you the truth, here on Prince Of Wales island most of the locals are business as usual. They talking of the up coming fishing season and busy with spring chores. Very few people here are thinking about FU-shima, I guess it could be said out of sight out of mind. Even a couple of my buddies who are survivalists with bug out bags at the ready, had no idea as to what is happening.
Myself I am at a loss as what to do, its springtime I should be gathering kelp to add to my garden and starting my spring planting. Seaweed in BC, WA, and Oregon are radioactive, so I am sure we have radiation in our kelp also.... I must say I am confused!

There is something about the below chart that leaves me with doubts:

Juneau EPA LINK

Sorry I did not get around to answering your questions last night, I was taking some time to watch movies with the family and escaping from our current reality.

AD

edit on 25-4-2011 by AlaskanDad because: added EPA link

edit on 25-4-2011 by AlaskanDad because: code added to adress whom I was quoting

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

I would absolutely presume that all seawee/vegetables are contaminated. These are the ocean's filters. Which is why they are excellent sources of nutrition, but also why they are excellent points for accumulation of radioactivity.

A big bloom this year followed by a mass die-off would be handy.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

Hey Alaska... I'm just as confused/worried because the same story here.
I again cancelled a bike ride into town to go do errands and an appointment because of the rain.
When I cancel an appointment I get the feeling people think i'm lazy.
Very depressing when it rains anyhow, muchless having the knowledge of what it conatians.
As for idodine uptake, I take my multiple vitamins religoiusly along with my other supplements and i'm going to raise the dose of Iodine to a higher level when I get to the vitamin store.
I would suggest purchasing these suppliments in bulk that have processed dates prior to March 11.
Keep them cool and in a dark place and they will last a long time.
Check this out also.
www.forbesnutritionalservices.com...

edit on 25-4-2011 by rbrtj because: aded a link

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

Government approval rate not so hot...

Kan approval rate rises to 27% from February

Prime Minister Naoto Kan's Cabinet has seen a bounce in its approval rating according to a recent NHK opinion poll.

About 1,130 people responded to the survey, conducted from last Friday to Sunday.

27 percent of respondents said they approve of Kan and his Cabinet, up 6 percentage points from the previous poll conducted 2 months ago. The disapproval rate stood at 59 percent, down 5 percentage points.

When questioned about the government's aid to victims of the March 11th quake and tsunami disaster, 42 percent approved, while 55 percent did not.

On the government's handling of the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, 27 percent gave it a positive rating, while 68 percent indicated disapproval.

When asked about the future of nuclear power plants, which supplies 30 percent of Japan's energy, 7 percent replied that more plants should be built. 42 percent indicated that the country's present energy policy should be maintained as is. 32 percent said the number of plants should be reduced, while 12 percent called for a complete halt of operations.

Those polled were also asked whether they support a plan for the ruling Democratic Party to join hands with the main opposition Liberal Democrats to form a grand coalition for the reconstruction from the March 11th disaster.

45 percent were in favor of the proposed grand coalition, while 17 were opposed. 33 percent were undecided.

Monday, April 18, 2011 18:42 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Kan facing difficult political situation

Prime Minster Naoto Kan faces a difficult political landscape as his ruling Democratic Party suffered setbacks in nationwide local elections on Sunday.

Many members of the Democratic Party blame him for losing ground in the elections. In the Lower House by-election in the Number 6 electoral district in Aichi Prefecture the Democratic Party could not even field a candidate.

Some members of the party say that Kan's poor handling of the recovery from the March 11th earthquake and tsunami contributed to the defeat.

On Sunday evening, former leader of the Democratic Party Ichiro Ozawa criticized Kan for his handling of the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

Opposition parties say that the defeat demonstrates the anger the Japanese people feel toward Kan.

The head of the largest opposition Liberal Democratic Party, Sadakazu Tanigaki, said on Sunday evening that the defeat shows that voters have doubts about Kan's dealing with the earthquake and tsunami twin disasters.

An NHK correspondent says that Kan will attempt to compile a reconstruction plan and a second supplementary budget but he faces a tough road due to his loss of influence and resistance from opposition parties, who have been encouraged by the election results.

Monday, April 25, 2011 06:00 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Bu bye Kan... can't say it's been fun

edit on 25-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonbeams771

A sign advises visitors not to stay for more than an hour a day in this park in Fukushima City on April 25, 2011, due to high radiation levels resulting from the nuclear crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. The sand pit is covered by a blue sheet to prevent children from playing there.

Seriously, they should just shut the park.

Was just about to post that... One HOUR and not in the sand, and don't eat the dirt...

Fukushima restricts park use

Fukushima Prefecture is restricting the use of 5 of its public parks due to high levels of radiation, causing concerns among nearby residents and park visitors.

The prefecture announced on Monday that it would limit the use of the parks to one hour a day, as radiation readings at the 5 facilities were at or above the safety limit set for outdoor activities in schools.

The safety limit set by the central government last week is 3.8 microsieverts per hour.

In Fukushima city, officials put up notices warning park users about the one-hour restriction at parks subject to the measure. They also covered children's sandboxes with plastic sheeting to prevent the spread of dust.

The prefectural government is urging visitors to prevent their children from putting sand or dirt in their mouths and to wash their hands and gargle after visiting the parks.

A mother of a 4-year-old said that since small children love to play outdoors, she's worried about the affects of radiation on her daughter.

Monday, April 25, 2011 15:16 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Seriously... anyone in their right mind going to let their kids play in those conditions? "No immediate risk... so long as you only stay one hour"

5 facilities were at or above the safety limit set for outdoor activities in schools. The safety limit set by the central government last week is 3.8 microsieverts per hour.

So even with the new limits set... the parks are still higher

OH but its all under control... no worries

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by imlite
Maybe why they are looking to add under support to the pool

Yup that is the plan... BUT who ya gonna get to build supports under a radioactive pool being doused by water. Nuke Shower, anyone?

Besides TEPCO is cutting salaries

TEPCO to halve executive pay amid Fukushima nuclear reactor crisis

TEPCO, which pays its executives an average of 37 million yen ($452,074), is seeking government help to foot a massive bill to compensate local citizens and businesses surrounding the plant, according to Reuters.

$452,074
while workers get what PEANUTS? and on top of that... "It would it would cut the annual salary of general staff by 20 percent."

www.globalpost.com...

Oops sorry beat me to it

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 25-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

LOOK! Apparently Japan can do graph charts with numbers over time.

I was under the impression that this technological innovation of visualization of numbers was beyond them....you know, because they never use it with radiation readings.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Part of me also says, reading between the ripples here, there has been a lot of concern about the leaving of dead bodies, and warmer temps, creating a whole new Pandora's box to deal with. I can't imagine the horror,

The area that was damaged by the Tsunami smells very strongly of rotting fish, according to one NHK reporter that went to the area.

Around the plant we have the humans not found to be sure, but also HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of chickens, pigs, cows and other animals.

NOT a good thing at all

new topics

top topics

<< 781  782  783    785  786  787 >>

join