It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 780.htm
<< 777  778  779    781  782  783 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALTERNATECH
was just looking at these charts here, www.ic.unicamp.br...seems reac 2's torus has rads of over 200 sieverts as we speak, and another thing, if you see any video with a counts per minute geiger at chernoble and then another at fukushima, I mean wow, big difference, and not in a good way, soooooo neways, video I saw showed in & around 10,000 cpm 4.5 kliks from zee plant. My converter won't convert cpm's to anything. sadface on toooooo many levels. Be nice to know what that 10,000 means, because with all the business goin' on and on I finger that'll make your hair fall out.

Greetings:

...10,000 cpm 4.5 kliks ...

Easy one first: 4.5 kliks is 4.5 kilometers, or 2.79617 miles or 2 mi. and 1401.2 yards

Now, this will be of interest and assistance.

The following is courtesy of modernsurvivalblog.com.

We are presenting it without tags so to be as clear as possible. We take no credit or responsibility for the information.

modernsurvivalblog.com...

Given the recent events in Japan and the nuclear reactor damage and radiation entering the atmosphere there, the following information may help to understand the units of measurement being discussed, and how it may correlate to Geiger Counter readings such as those being displayed around the country on the Radiation Network.

Units of Measurement (Radiation)
1 rad = 0.01 gray (Gy)
1 rem = 0.01 sievert (Sv)

1 gray (Gy) = 100 rad
1 sievert (Sv) = 100 rem

Rad and Gray are ‘absorbed dose’ units.
Rem and Sievert are ‘equivalent dose’ units.

Why a Rem and a Sievert?
They relate to biological damage done to human tissue and factor the differences between types of radiation. A multiplication factor is used that represents the ‘effective’ biological damage of a given type of radiation. This is the main reason for these units – to factor the differences in damage that is caused from one type of radiation to the next.

Radiation Factor (QF Quality Factor)
(1) Beta
(1) Gamma
(1) X-ray
(10) Nuetron
(20) Alpha

For example, the list above shows that a ‘rad’ or ‘gray’ unit of ‘Alpha’ energy that is absorbed by soft human tissue does 20 times more damage than a ‘rad’ or ‘gray’ of Gamma, X-ray or Beta radiation.

Measuring Radiation with a Geiger Counter CPM
What is CPM (also the ‘number’ used on the Radiation Network )?

CPM (counts per minute) is a measure of radioactivity, a unit of measurement for a Geiger counter. Technically, “It is the number of atoms in a given quantity of radioactive material that are detected to have decayed in one minute.”

Most Geiger counters are calibrated to Cs137 (Cesium).

1,200 CPM on the meter (for Cs137) is about 1 mR/hr (milliRad per hour).
120 CPM on the meter (for Cs137) is about 1 uSv/hr (microSievert per hour).

How many CPM of radiation is bad?

Answer:

It depends on how long you are exposed at any given level. The Radiation Network website, for example, uses a threshold warning level of 100 CPM, mainly because it is unusual to observe levels of 100 or higher without something more going on in the area than just background level.

Having said that, how could one figure out the ‘badness’ of a given level? How bad is bad? All we need to do is put in terms that makes sense.

First, we must understand a few radiation facts and numbers regarding dosage. There tend to be lots of conversions and it can be confusing, but by plodding through the math, you can determine a better idea and relationship of the Geiger counter numbers versus the risks to your health.

Radiation Dosage
Radiation dosage is a measure of the risk of biological harm that the tissues receive in the body.

The unit of absorbed radiation dose is the sievert (Sv). Since one sievert is a large quantity, radiation doses normally encountered are expressed in milliSievert (mSv) or microSievert (µSv) which are one-thousandth or one millionth of a sievert. For example, one chest X-ray will give about 0.2 mSv of radiation dose.

On average, our annual radiation exposure due to all natural sources is about 300 milliRem, which is equivalent to 3 milliSieverts (3 mSv). Adding man-made sources (medical procedures, and others) the average annual U.S. radiation dose is about 600 milliRem, which is equivalent to 6 milliSieverts (6 mSv).

Average annual human exposure to radiation (U.S.)
600 milliRem (mRem)
6 milliSievert (mSv)

Radiation dose for increase cancer risk of 1 in a 1,000
1,250 milliRem (mRem)
12.5 milliSievert (mSv)

Earliest onset of radiation sickness
75,000 milliRem (mRem)
750 milliSievert (mSv)

Onset of radiation poisoning
300,000 milliRem (mRem)
3,000 milliSievert (mSv)

Expected 50% death from radiation
400,000 milliRem (mRem)
4,000 milliSievert (mSv)

What do the Radiation Network CPM numbers mean with regards to health risk?

With the examples of radiation dose listed above, we can correlate how long it would take to experience those effects based on a hypothetical Geiger counter CPM number.

So, let’s use the number 100, since this is the threshold that the Radiation Network website has chosen. The Cs137 calibration factor listed above (120 CPM) was converted to obtain the proper factored results listed below (0.83x). Higher CPM numbers are also listed for relevancy.

Days compared with the avg. annual human exposure (U.S.)
207 (at 100 CPM)
42 (at 500 CPM)
14 (at 1,500 CPM)
2 (at 10,000 CPM)

Days to receive dose for increase cancer risk of 1 in a 1,000
432 (at 100 CPM)
86 (at 500 CPM)
28 (at 1,500 CPM)
4 (at 10,000 CPM)

Days for earliest onset of radiation sickness
25,937 (at 100 CPM)
5,187 (at 500 CPM)
1,729 (at 1,500 CPM)
259 (at 10,000 CPM)

Conclusion: Regarding the radioactive fallout from Japan reaching here to the U.S., the metered Geiger Counter CPM that we see on the Radiation Network can be compared to the equivalent ‘what-IF’ scenarios listed above. Not saying though that anything less would not be ‘bad’ for us, there are lots of theories out there regarding long-term effects of various types of radioactive ionized particles making it into the food chain, etc…

Interesting fact:

All food sources combined, expose a person to around 40 millirems per year on average.

Many foods are naturally radioactive, and bananas are particularly so, due to the radioactive potassium-40 they contain. The equivalent dose for 365 bananas (one per day for a year) is 3.6 millirems (36 μSv).

Other foods that have above-average levels are potatoes, kidney beans, nuts (especially brazil nuts), and sunflower seeds.

Ways to limit radiation exposure:
1. Time (limit exposure time)
2. Distance (intensity decreases sharply according to the inverse-square-law)
3. Shielding:

(alpha: nearly anything… a sheet of paper will stop it)

(beta: wood, water, plastic-acrylic, aluminum)

(gamma: water, concrete, lead)

Disclaimer: Do not rely upon this information for life or health, it is only one person’s estimation based on a several hours research and punching calculator buttons. We have no affiliation with the Radiation Network, who may or may not agree with these numbers.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I can't find the link to the acticle I had seen before yet...but the base problem is..Japan didn't ask for help so perhaps they are feeling put out?? dunno but I will keep looking...

but take a look at this..

In the coming weeks, the American Red Cross expects to make additional contributions to support the humanitarian response. Donations received from American Red Cross and other Red Cross partners will aid Japan's relief and recovery efforts through the Japanese Red Cross and possibly other organizations as experts on the ground determine the best way forward. Donations received by the Japanese Red Cross from people within japan will be pooled and managed by an independent grant disbursement committee, which will include the Japanese Red Cross. The grants will be disbursed in installments in order to responsibly and effectively respond to the country's evolving relief and recovery needs.

source

according to the japan red cross site itself.. they just held the first meeting on april 8th to decide where they plan on using the 600 million U.S. dollars..

A committee established to distribute the donations--comprising a number of major fundraising organizations, including the JRCS and prefecture governments of 15 disaster-affected prefectures--announced April 8, 2011 how the first 50 billion Yen (US$ 600 million) in Japanese donations would be used.

Once the distribution to prefectures is made to prefectures and municipalities, local government level committees, whom the JRCS is also a member at the chapter level will identify beneficiaries and distribute the money as agreed

source

so it looks like they may be getting ready to use it at last

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Destinyone
I bake you a virtual Chocolate Souffle for that post

Des

I never got one of those

Des baked you one, Zorgon, but your ferrets ate it.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by xxPUSH0Noo

Wert, the unfortunate thing is that mechanical propulsion or destruction is almost immaterial to the size of the particles formed ( from the governments own testing on 'waste' fuel rods by 'explosive' and compressive 'disintegration' or destruction by explosion), but even then the particles from these materials seem to form very small particles ( less than ten microns ) almost entirely.

The research indicates a secondary process wherein hi-energy chemical interaction during and immediately after explosive decomposition is like an automatic aerosol particle generator. The tell tale indicator that this being a chemical thing should be especially temperature dependent ( although I have yet to find the study relating to further tests in this area ) but , the range of temperature tests done DO CONFIRM ( by whatever mechanism ) that at temps as low as 60C almost complete aerosolization of things like cesium and around ten percent for things like uranium ( I have not found 100% peer review data on plutonium yet, but being more reactive I would assume higher numbers )

Since we are talking temps in the 1000C+ range for starters and 100C-400C almost every day since, we can count on a very high level of single digit micon sized particles , that would ( even heavy as uranium ) act very much like a gas and have extremely long legs ( pacific league boots so to speak ), also uranium at these types of temps and environs will form UO3 which (uranium tri-ozide) O3 is ozone,

I think RedN was thinking the size of the explosion did matter (mainly how high), but what you are saying makes sense, the size of the particularization is more important. I hadn't made the connection between aerosolization and gasification. If this is what has occurred the situation is MUCH much much worse than we are being let to believe. THIS could be the reason for the massive coverup, and so many folks need to connect the dots here. OMG. I should have left the West Coast when I wanted to, but by the 18th it was too late. We've had so much rain since then as well it's been rained out pretty heavily. I'm no weather expert, but have been doing some research on the troposphere and found that weather patterns over the pacific vary heavily as per time of year. There are so many uptakes at this level it is highly likely that much of this "plutionium gas" will have made it to the US/Canada. Also, we are heading into tropical upper tropospheric trough (cyclone season - May to Sept) what continues to spew out will enter into these highly dynamic weather patterns.

Think of it as a lot of really hot little hot air balloons like weather balloons ( the same kind the japanese used during WW2 to cross the pacific )

Between November of 1944 and April of 1945, the Japanese launched about 9300 balloon bombs against the US.
Out of that number, only about 1,000 actually made it to the US and Canada,

The first balloons were launched on November 3, 1944 and began landing in the United States on November 5th, off San Pedro, California, and by the following day were landing as far away as Thermopolis, Wyoming.

...The balloon then would rise again to approximately 38,000 feet, and be carried along by the higher winds. It would sink to the minimum desired altitude-around 30,000 feet-as the gas slowly escaped or was cooled.....

I didn't know about the balloon bombs, wow, that's amazing.

Even as they start to cool they can use the O3 hooks and ladders to get high and stay so by using a variety of tricks including tagging onto water vapor. I am not trying to be alarmist but the problem is somewhat worse than one would hope for ... I am sure it's one of the reasons for silence on certain isotopes on the US side, it would spell the death bell tolling for the NUKE industry if people realize just how much pollution and over how large an area ONE Nuke plant can spill.

THIS IS VERY BAD. This is the reason there is no data folks.

And I am not sure whom you are kidding but that spaghetti makes me think of sex EVERY time , without fail, and it makes me hungry which is about how that normally works anyway. (oh and Jaded found the waste rod aerosol pdf I just was able to slog through it ;-)
edit on 24-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

Um, ok, a little TMI but funny! Spagetti fetish.... ok, well! Didn't mean to make you feel frisky every time you saw my avatar, but I think I will keep it up and get a private giggle from your reaction, but after all food and sex are two of the mostest awesome things in the whole world so no harm done!

edit on 24-4-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

CPM is practically useless since you need to know what that GC is calibrated to and if they are all calibrated to something different there is no standard of comparison - RedNeck pointed this out at great length a while back. All it can do is tell you whether that GC is experiencing more, or less, clicks than it did before.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

And for Zorgon

RED CROSS information posted by Des on pg. 625.

Originally posted by Destinyone
Good Morning, Fellow Collective Brain Cells. I find it deplorable, Japan's Red Cross has not used any of the donated funds...1.2 billion yet...WHY NOT? Guess they're saving it for a real emergency huh.

By Don Lee, Los Angeles Times

April 9, 2011
Reporting from Tokyo—
The calls came into Tokyo's metropolitan government soon after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. What can we do to help, some asked. Others, seeing shocking television video of people homeless and desperate for food, urged officials to take up a collection.

"Many people said, 'I have a child too. I want to do something,'" recalled Kazutoshi Matsuura, a department head at Tokyo's Welfare and Health Agency.

But it was a full week after the initial devastation when the first truckload of donated diapers, bottled water and other essentials gathered by volunteers and municipal workers left central Tokyo for the worst-hit areas along the northeast

Time had ticked away as 20 metropolitan department chiefs put their heads together; half a day was lost just getting approval for storage space for donated goods. Rules on how to pack boxes cost precious more hours.

"It's not typical in Japan to help each other this way," said Eiichi Honda, a retired Nestle marketing executive in Tokyo, referring to personal donations to be distributed to strangers.

"We work together, but for your own group," said Honda, who is pastor of an evangelical church in the Tama ward of greater Tokyo.

Despite that, Japan's Red Cross has collected about $1.2 billion since March 11 to help in quake and tsunami relief, but has not yet paid out any money

After driving up and down Japan's battered northeast coast in the first week after the tsunami, Miyamoto couldn't help but express frustration over the dearth of supplies that had reached survivors. Other foreigners in a hurry to get to hard-hit areas complained that their driver wouldn't go faster than the 50-mph speed limit, even when the highway was almost empty.

www.latimes.com...
Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: addition of content

edit on 24-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Aye, woggy, that is going to be the crux of the matter; look at the situation in Germany, and their reaction to all this fertilizer being spread by Inepco and the rest... I imagine that a lot of citizens might actually not only get a little pissed but might possibly raise mortal hell if they ever did get a clue as to how easily it can get really bad (is bad) and break out the pitchforks and goon boots world wide;

mine are 13 EEE and hob-nailed.

seeker

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Periodic health checkups mulled for Fukushima residents

mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/national/archive/news/2011/04/24/20110424p2g00m0dm010000c.html

or

www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/periodic-health-checkups-likely-for-fukushima-residents

FUKUSHIMA (kyodo) -- The Fukushima prefectural government is considering implementing regular health checkups of its residents, while examining the health of children in the long term, in the wake of the nuclear emergency there, its officials said Saturday.

(...)

The local government has received 10,373 inquiries so far about if or how radioactive materials affect health of pregnant women or babies.

These people are living science experiments.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Historical news :

Associated Press - Apr 24, 4:03 PM EDT

Atomic archives: Remembering the Cold War

By PHIL PARKER
Albuquerque Journal

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NM_ATOMIC_ARCHIVES_NMOL-?SITE=NMALJ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

or

www.therepublic.com/view/story/637a69db532e46dab4dbdfe0d495f24a/NM--Atomic-Archives

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- Citizens move underground, walking single-file on a wooden plank. Elsewhere, they make an orderly evacuation from a damaged building, headed the direction pointed out by an officer nearby. They're all wearing gas masks.

The hand-drawn and cartoonishly colored images are surrounded by Russian text, and they're freaky, particularly in light of ongoing events in Japan, where fears of radiation poisoning and a meltdown at the earthquake-crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant sent mothers tearing through grocery stores after bottled water because government officials warned that tap water in Tokyo is too contaminated for babies.

The gas-mask-laden drawings are part of an enormous collection of nuclear materials at the more than 100-year-old Fray Angelico Chavez History Library, part of the Palace of the Governors.

(...)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Heat exchanger for No1 reactor considered

So they admit now that the fuel rods in the reactor of #1 are 70% damaged..

6 TONS of water being pumped in per hour into the reactor... and its going WHERE exactly?

Well it's not like we didn't expect and predict that weeks ago, I wonder what the actual amount of radioactive pollution dumped in the ocean has been since 3-11-2011?, and rods only 70% damaged after weeks and weeks my what tough rods, but HOW exactly are they making that assessment ? , and what is the status of the pool ( that we saw melting on the night web-cam several weeks ago ) ?

Now here are a couple of interesting things to consider:

Mox , according to duke university has been known to have a problem with deformation of the rods , which could interfere with emergency shut down ( or any shut down ) known as a S.C.R.A.M. . When a scram happens at the Fukushima reactors the control rods are shot into place by hydraulics from underneath ( bad design if you ask me on top they could drop in in an emergency) IN ABOUT FOUR SECONDS . that's twelve fee in four seconds , much slower than gravity could have done it

At any rate the fission process should 'stop' almost immediately :

Most neutrons in a reactor are prompt neutrons... On average, it takes about 13 μs for the neutrons to be slowed by the moderator enough to facilitate a sustained reaction, which allows the insertion of neutron absorbers to affect the reactor quickly. As a result, once the reactor has been scrammed, the reactor power will drop significantly almost instantaneously. However, a small fraction (about 0.65%) of neutrons in a typical power reactor comes from the radioactive decay of a fission product. These delayed neutrons, which are emitted at lower velocities, will limit the rate at which a nuclear reactor will shut down.[3]

So we should immediately see a change in numbers and then perhaps 7% of the heat as decay heat , with a very rapid decrease in pressure of the RPV ( REACTOR CORE )

So if what we have here is a true representation of the actual events then #3

Notice the line at the bottom 14:42, March 11th . The first two numbers represent the pressure in the RPV ( inner core where the rods are ) measured in MPa (absolute) ( this is important as absolute pressure is from 0 or vacuum ) 7.3MPa
Next we have the pressure in the 'dry-well' ( secondary containment with the yellow cap ) and the suppression chamber (torus) 0.10 MPa ( about one atmosphere, which is high as these are suppose to be kept at .06 in the G.E. drywell to help in the event of emergency, but ass all three running reactors are at this pressure it must not be Tepcos policy to do that ( which leads me to believe THE dry-well or torus had LEAKS WELL BEFORE THE ACCIDENT ).
The next two numbers are basically top and bottom temps in the RPV (core) 286C and the last two are water level measured in meters above the top of the rods n/a and 1 meter.

So according to the sheet these are NORMAL operating parameters (note that at those high pressures water would still be liquid in the bottom of the device so both of the detectors for I assume are under water )

O.k. now we are told that the reactors scram as soon as an earthquake happens , so the power should have been on for quite a good deal longer than the four seconds required to scram the reactor before the power failed ( which probably actually happened when the Tsunami hit several minutes later )

Now the quake hits at 14:42 , 3-11th power is reported as down one hour later , so plenty of time for scram, but twenty hours later a warning for increase dry-well pressure/ auto venting and approximately 16 hours later (08:00 3-13-11) we see slightly over full pressure in the RPV (core) near maximum overload pressure in the dry-well and torus (overload at .50MPa) and -3.00 meters at the core rods!!!

Which means the core was under FULL PRESSURE AND THE RODS WERE COMPLETELY EXPOSED ( RODS ARE ABOUT 12 FEET ) , so the reactor started melting down sometime before 06:00 on march 13th

the core manages to maintain integrity unitl 09:10 , but right before that at 08:56 "radiation...exceeds limits", so we know at this point we have a criticality , probably in the bottom of the RPV which mean s it took it about 15 minutes to burn through six inches of steel .

also IT BECOMES OBVIOUS that to maintain such a high pressure (above 100% of normal operating ) for alomst two days (42-44 hours)

THE SCRAM FAILED OR WAS NEVER DONE TO BEGIN WITH

edit on 24-4-2011 by Silverlok because: days not minutes or some crap

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
I have seen a report a little over a week ago that the Japanese Red Cross has not used any of the donated money yet...I will try and find that link

That STINKS but it's as I suspected... what is up with that?

What the hell are they waiting for?
edit on 24-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

Charity will make the central govt lose face. Look how much help they initially turned down early in the crisis. How much donated materiel sat on the tarmac awaiting clearance. Gets too many mid level bureaucrats panties in a wad. The downside of central planning

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj
Howdy folks... has anyone checked out the TEPCO home sight to match what is being said with what we think is going on.
Maybe there are some clues to pick up.

www.tepco.co.jp...

This sight is in english and has a lot of information to "analize".
Peace out

edit on 23-4-2011 by rbrtj because: had to make a better point to read this and not surmise the worst all the time.

Greetings:

Interesting find.

You asked for tidbits ... how about these?

However, ...

-Starting and ending time of blackout periods may slightly differ.

-Depending on supply and demand conditions on the actual days, blackouts may occur at times which were not previously announced.

-We are taking all measures to restore power, however, we expect extremely challenging situation in power supply for a while. We kindly ask our customers to cooperate with us in reducing usage of power.

-Starting and ending time of blackout periods may slightly differ.

-Depending on supply and demand conditions on the actual days, blackouts may occur at times which were not previously announced.

-We are taking all measures to restore power, however, we expect extremely challenging situation in power supply for a while. We kindly ask our customers to cooperate with us in reducing usage of power.

tepco

measures to conserve energy at your home
Conservation by each individual will lead to large energy conservation. We kindly ask our customers for continuous cooperation in energy conservation.

We wonder if the bills for March have been sent out with this greeting ...?

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

I believe redneck was hedging his bet on standard particulate 'areosolization' , which would include particles perhaps as larger than 100 microns, and if thrown above about 500 meters would have a small percentage low in the upper atmosphere , unfortunately these things , from experimental evidence done directly to waste rods tend to form gases and water and air loving particulates under ten microns

( human hairs range from 40 to 120 microns ) form almost nothing until a small percentage ( almost negligible) around 30 microns , or they stayed part of the larger assembly .

In the case at fukushima the explosion (*edit*at three) probably localized a lot of the material ( to within a couple of hundred kilometers) because the explosion rapidly cooled and separated at least one mass , unlike 2, 1, and the pools at 1,2,4,5,6, which liberated things as either poolium , corium , or aerosol

oh yeah and it's not me I don't even particularly like meat balls , I think perhaps there is a subliminal naked person in there somewhere

edit on 24-4-2011 by Silverlok because: because again it's three sir not five

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Just adding to your post, I believe it was chr0naut who proposed that the reactor was intentionally being run in a "breeder" configuration (he might have just been talking about #3), was being run beyond safety limits and was too hot. The shut down was NOT successful ... the reactors were too hot resulting in re-criticality after shut-down. Apparently it is common practice for TEPCO to "overclock" their reactors, a very dangerous practice with the potential for exactly this sort of outcome.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Yes, I agree Silver Soldier.Me too

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

at this level it is highly likely that much of this "plutionium gas" will have made it to the US/Canada. Also, we are heading into tropical upper tropospheric trough (cyclone season - May to Sept) what continues to spew out will enter into these highly dynamic weather patterns.

Perhaps but much like silver-iodide dusting (done out in the central valley in cali ) the heavier ionized bits will tend to precipitate and I believe the interior mountains and the water tables there will tend to collect more than their fair share

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

The research was already done. They are worse than experiments. They are the "control group."

Certainly neither the media nor governments are making their calculations on the extreme vulnerability of newborns, young children or those still gestating in the womb but they are not voters so why worry about our children getting cancer in a few years or in a few decades? Yes there are people whose assumptions terrorize our children’s futures.

They are secret psychopaths, the ones that modern psychology is reluctant to come to grips with because they are the elite. It is sad that we have so much human evil running around at the top of the human heap—drunk on riches and power. We can only weep.
Babies born of mothers who had a series of X-rays of the pelvic region during pregnancy were nearly twice as likely to develop leukemia or another form of cancer as those born of mothers who had not been X-rayed.

Dr. Ernest J. Sternglass, former professor of radiation physics at the University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine, in his book Secret Fallout – Low-Level Radiation from Hiroshima to Three-Mile Island, indicated that the risk increased with each additional exposure. This clearly implied that there was no significant healing of the damage and that the cancer-causing effects of radiation were cumulative.

Safe Radiation Winds Don’t Exist

The U.S. Department of Energy has testified that there is no level of radiation that is so low that it is without health risks. That is official US policy. The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) published a report in 2006 titled Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation (BEIR) report saying, “The committee concludes that the preponderance of information indicates that there will be some risk, even at low doses.” The concluding statement of the report reads, “The committee concludes that the current scientific evidence is consistent with the hypothesis that there is a linear, no-threshold dose-response relationship between exposure to ionizing radiation and the development of cancer in humans.”

This means that the sum of several very small exposures to radiation has the same effect as one large exposure, since the effects of radiation are cumulative. And this means millions and eventually billions of people are going to be affected by this multiple reactor disaster in Japan.

Sternglass concluded that all the research led to the tragic conclusion that the unborn fetus was hundreds or thousands of times more sensitive to radiation than anyone had ever suspected. According to the now antiquated “threshold” theory, there was a certain low-level of radiation exposure, a “threshold” below which no damage would be caused. If this threshold was about the same as the yearly dose from background radiation or from exposure to typical diagnostic X-rays, as various supporters of nuclear programs maintained it was, then doctors were not doing us harm.

But Dr. Alice Stewart’s study implied that if there were any safe threshold for unborn children and infants, it would have to be less than the dose from a single X-ray picture.
bold added. This was from the following article with more important information.

Dr. Mark Sircus: Radioactive Currents and Winds

There are all kinds of nuclear materials coming out of that Japanese plant but only a few of them are being measured. We hear about radioactive iodine and caesium but nothing about tritium, uranium and plutonium particles, which are especially dangerous because they are alpha emitters. It’s kind of like the official weather services reporting on hail but never on rain, snow or sleet.

In fact things are so bad in Japan you have to hunt for news about it. The main news outlets are covering it up, I imagine, so as to not cause a panic.

. Two hundred miles away radiation levels in Tokyo have gone up by a factor of 2.5.

That means people who live there will now get, in ten years, what they would have gotten in 25 and that is only if the contamination does not get worse. The radiation detector above marks 0.6 micro-sieverts, exceeding normal levels near the Shibuya train station in Tokyo.

Radiation “dose rate” is important as is “dose density.”

Radiation causes death not only through cancer but also
through heart disease, diabetes and other chronic conditions.

How high are radiation levels at the nuclear plant? According to data obtained by remote-controlled robots that explored inside the No. 1 through No. 4 reactors on April 18, radiation readings inside these buildings were between 4 and 57 millisieverts per hour. “To be honest, I was startled to see the figures. The results make it really hard for me to ask repair workers to go inside and do their jobs,” said Haruki Madarame, chairman of the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan, during a press conference the same day.

The plant operator of Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) said Thursday the 21st of April that some 520 tons of runoff that reached the sea from April 1 to April 6 through a crack in a storage pit had reached about 4,700 terabecquerels—20,000 times above the plant’s legal annual limit.

That means that in six days the planet vomited out into the sea what it normally should take 20,000 years to do. Of course they say no problem, nuclear power is beautiful and safe but let’s see what Greenpeace says about it once their Rainbow Warrior flagship takes up station to test seawater and marine life near the badly leaking tsunami-hit Fukushima nuclear plant.

Much more here

With each passing day, the medical leadership in the United States and around the world is looking more monstrous. Our medical leaders are failing us spectacularly when it comes to both chemical toxicity and the lethal dangers of radioactivity—they could hardly do a worse job.

Added to the ATS reading list. Glad someone is starting to talk about this online. Echo.
edit on 24-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thorfourwinds
Will America's Nuclear Power Plants Fail in an 8.0 Earthquake?

yes

Is This the Beginning of the End of Nuclear Power in the U.S.?

No not yet... not until we get our own Fukushima

And in this third one, we will continue to update daily the new radiation map that we, the people, are posting to compare with what the USGOV/EPA is telling us.

Repeat after me the mantra "Radiation is good for you and there is no immediate risk to health"

And by tomorrow, don't worry because we will have upped the safe limits and you will have forgotten what they were yesterday...

Now I have a question... You use 'we' a lot... when I use the 'We" it is the Royal 'We" what is your story?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Fukushima to Cull Dying Animals in No-Entry Zone

Really?
In typical 'lets get to it" fashion , they will do this after the animals have mostly all starved to death already

Nice guys... I think I need to re-evalute the Japanese honor system... especially in the light of the scandal of the Sumu wrestlers fixing fights

Three sumo wrestlers admit fixing bouts

“If there really was bout-fixing, it would be a grave act of betrayal against the Japanese people,” Prime Minister Naoto Kan told a parliamentary panel, urging the sumo association to launch an investigation.

www.dailytimes.com.pk...\02\04\story_4-2-2011_pg2_18

Police reportedly found text messages on confiscated cell phones that implicated as many as fourteen sumo wrestlers and stablemasters in match-fixing. Japanese broadcaster NHK reports that wrestlers were buying wins for as much as 500,000 yen (over $6,000) and that matches had even been choreographed.

Former Pride FC and current K-1 World GP broadcaster Fuji TV immediately reacted to the news by pulling the plug on the Feb. 6th Tokyo sumo tournament and NHK also canceled the programming of a charity sumo event.

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan even weighed in on the issue, calling the allegations, "a very serious betrayal of the people," during a parliamentary session on Thursday.

The news has dominated the headlines locally and further tarnishes the credibility of the struggling sport as it attempts to recover from exposed yakuza (Japanese mafia) ties, public brawls, the forced retirement of its top athlete and further match-fixing allegations throughout the 2000's.

www.mmafighting.com...

So much for honor...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by Wertwog

at this level it is highly likely that much of this "plutionium gas" will have made it to the US/Canada. Also, we are heading into tropical upper tropospheric trough (cyclone season - May to Sept) what continues to spew out will enter into these highly dynamic weather patterns.

Perhaps but much like silver-iodide dusting (done out in the central valley in cali ) the heavier ionized bits will tend to precipitate and I believe the interior mountains and the water tables there will tend to collect more than their fair share

Where I live, close to Vancouver, we draw our water directly from reservoirs fed by mountain glaciers and lakes/run off. Up until now it has been some of the best water in the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 777  778  779    781  782  783 >>

join