It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 78.htm
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Ah, of course! It's an island after all...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yukio Edano, has said a partial defect has been found inside the containment vessel of reactor 3 at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the Kyodo news agency reports. He has also said the reactor is "not necessarily in a stable condition". Early on Tuesday morning, officials said pressure inside the container had dropped and sea water was being pumped in to cool the fuel rods.

LINK

Sooo, is there a "partial defect" in both Unit 2 & 3?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I think BBC has made a mistake there. All other report point to a crack in the containment for reactor 2 rather than 3. I think if there were 2 reactors with cracked containment the reports would be very clear about that.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by A T K

Hmm, some conflicting messages about another plant as well, though a quick news.google search reveals one should be fine, this article is saying something else

www.erentals.co.uk... - ok read the rest of the site, disregarding
March 14th, 2011
At the Tokai nuclear site, engineers have admitted to having problems with the reactors cooling system. Dangerous levels of radiation are also being recorded at a site in Onagawa.

www.straitstimes.com...
Straits Times - ‎Mar 13, 2011‎
TOKYO - A COOLING pump at Japan's Tokai No. 2 nuclear power plant, 120km from Tokyo, failed but an additional pump was working and cooling the reactor, a plant spokesman said early on Monday

www.reuters.com...

ok read the rest of the site, disregarding (e rentals.co.uk of all things... yeah they should know!)
edit on 14-3-2011 by strangeness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks for the clarification!
What about when they talk about injecting "borates" (or some such), are they talking about the coolant that's circulating inside the vessel? or in the outer cooling system (on the other side of the heat-exchanger)?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Reuters reporting another explosion, at #2 reactor

BREAKING NEWS: Blast heard at 6:10 a.m. at Fukushima's No.2 reactor: gov't
kyodo
edit on 14-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Michelle129th

Far too small to be anything more than a pressure crack, and it appears to be other lines steaming from the heat produced in the explosion.

If the reactor vessel opens up, you will not be able to miss it.

TheRedneck

Thank you all who've tried to keep this Real.

Been driving - - back at the beach. Tried to take MSM news reports with a grain of salt.

Catch up time.

link   
Explosion heard at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi No.2 reactor: Jiji News Agency
live.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Edit:

Originally posted by xavi1000
Explosion heard at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi No.2 reactor: Jiji News Agency
live.reuters.com...

Ooops, looks like someone beat me to it
Glad to know others are closely following this as well!

:edit

Al JAzeera is now reporting that there was an explosion at plant #2 but with no real details as to what was damaged.
edit on 14/3/11 by kithylin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

BREAKING NEWS: Suppression pool may have been damaged at No. 2 reactor: gov't agency (08:07)

kyodo

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by strangeness
reply to post by A T K

Regarding Tokai Nuclear Power Plant, that's new news than.
That is not run by the same company (Tepco) as the two "Fukushima" plants.
It's operated by Japan Atomic Power Company. According to the Wikipedia page for Tokai, it formerly had two reactors, but #1 (the older one) was decommissioned some time ago - and various parts of that operation have been dismantled already. Obviously, #2 reactor still exists, and was still in-use.

I'll dig through JAPC's web site, and see if I can find the "official" / PTB story from them on that status of that plant.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Nice, thanks for digging this up! CNN not even reporting the #2 reactor explosion. Sigh.

ETA: Fox is actually covering this #. I find that so sad that I have to turn to Fox from CNN to get live coverage. CNN used to be THE source.
edit on 14-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kithylin
Al JAzeera is now reporting that there was an explosion at plant #2 but with no real details as to what was damaged.

I think that's Reactor #2 at Plant #1 ("Fukushima Daiichi"), rather than a event at Plant #2 ("Fukushima Daini")
Yeah, I know it get's confusing really fast, especially since the media is apparently not following this thread.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
so is a suppression pool a fancy name for spent fuel pool?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

It just showed-up on CNN too.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator

Originally posted by kithylin

I think that's Reactor #2 at Plant #1 ("Fukushima Daiichi"), rather than a event at Plant #2 ("Fukushima Daini")
Yeah, I know it get's confusing really fast, especially since the media is apparently not following this thread.

Yes it was reactor #2 at plant #1 in ("Fukushima Daiichi"), Sorry for not including that.

They said the suppression pool may have been damaged at No. 2 reactor, and that on-site staff have been evacuated to "1-F" where ever that is, for their own saftey, and only minimal staff remained to operate the pumping trucks.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

BREAKING NEWS: Radiation tops legal limit after blast heard at Fukushima nuke plant (08:16)
english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Boron is a neutron absorber; it is added to the reactor vessel water before it is injected to help control the reaction... sort of like a liquid control rod, if you will.

There is no reason to use boron in the cooling water.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Operators at Fukushima #2 evacuated. Suppression chamber may be compromised means damage to container vessel.
www3.nhk.or.jp
edit on 14-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

OK now they are starting to be a little more honest saying there might be a leak on this explosion on no.2 reactor...I am starting to think about booking a flight to NY...there has got to be quite a bit a radiation flowing outta these reactors and IMHO I think they are all meltdown status and they are beginning not to be able to hide it anymore. Which means we got a h-ll of a lot of radiation heading our way! not to sensationalize this but isn't it sensational?

new topics

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join