It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 772.htm
<< 769  770  771    773  774  775 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
APRIL 23, 2011
Reactor Team Let Pressure Soar

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703922504576273234110896182.html

By PHRED DVORAK

TOKYO—The operator of Japan's stricken nuclear plant let pressure in one reactor climb far beyond the level the facility was designed to withstand, a decision that may have worsened the world's most serious nuclear accident in a quarter century.

Japanese nuclear-power companies are so leery of releasing radiation into the atmosphere that their rules call for waiting much longer and obtaining many more sign-offs than U.S. counterparts before venting the potentially dangerous steam that builds up as reactors overheat, a Wall Street Journal inquiry found.

Japan's venting policy got its first real-world test in the chaotic hours after March 11's earthquake and tsunami knocked out cooling systems at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear-power complex. By the first hours of March 12, an emergency was brewing inside the plant's No. 1 reactor.

(...)

—Rebecca Smith and Peter Landers contributed to this report.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Agence France Presse - TEPCO mulls sinking walls around Japan reactors: TV
Sat Apr 23, 2:04 am ET

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110423/wl_afp/japandisasteraccidentnucleartepco_20110423060501

TOKYO (AFP) – The operator of Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant is considering installing underground walls around its crippled reactors to prevent radioactive water seeping out, according to a broadcaster.

Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) is studying the measure to contain contaminated water leaking from the plant's reactors which were damaged in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, TV Asahi said on Saturday, citing unnamed sources.

Workers would have to dig to a depth of 15 metres (50 feet) to reach an impervious layer to build the walls on, it said.

TEPCO has dumped a massive amount of water into reactor containers and overheating pools containing spent nuclear fuel rods, after the magnitude 9.0 quake triggered monster waves which knocked out the plant's cooling systems.

Workers battling to stabilise the battered nuclear facility later found highly contaminated water submerging turbine buildings and underground tunnels, with some running off from a cracked concrete pit into the Pacific Ocean.

They sealed the crack but have faced a challenge in trying to ensure no underground water seeps out of the plant.

The report came a day after former construction minister Sumio Mabuchi, who is now one of Prime Minister Naoto Kan's advisors, suggested the plan.

(...)

edit on 23-4-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
APRIL 23, 2011
Reactor Team Let Pressure Soar

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703922504576273234110896182.html

By PHRED DVORAK

TOKYO—The operator of Japan's stricken nuclear plant let pressure in one reactor climb far beyond the level the facility was designed to withstand, a decision that may have worsened the world's most serious nuclear accident in a quarter century.

Japanese nuclear-power companies are so leery of releasing radiation into the atmosphere that their rules call for waiting much longer and obtaining many more sign-offs than U.S. counterparts before venting the potentially dangerous steam that builds up as reactors overheat, a Wall Street Journal inquiry found.

Japan's venting policy got its first real-world test in the chaotic hours after March 11's earthquake and tsunami knocked out cooling systems at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear-power complex. By the first hours of March 12, an emergency was brewing inside the plant's No. 1 reactor.

(...)

—Rebecca Smith and Peter Landers contributed to this report.

Yeah, and back on the 13th of this month it was reported that the pressure in #1 was far beyond the designed maximum, by over double!

Thanks to ATS members, actual data confirming it was found...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So when did they 'vent' it that time?

Edit: According to this link the pressure is still very high:

I can't believe they haven't blocked access to that page yet.

edit on 23-4-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
2011/04/22 18:02 KST
Japan's tourism minister calls for S. Koreans to tour Japan

english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2011/04/22/57/0501000000AEN20110422008900320F.HTML

SEOUL, April 22 (Yonhap) -- The Japanese tourism minister called on South Koreans Friday to travel more frequently to Japan, saying his country is safe from radiation released from the damaged Fukushima nuclear plant.

"South Korean tourists to Japan will be a great economic and psychological encouragement to the Japanese people who are struggling to recover," Hiroshi Mizohata, chief of Japan's Tourism Agency (JTA), said in a meeting with reporters.

According to the Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO), the number of South Koreans who visited Japan fell 47.4 percent on-year in March, when a devastating earthquake and tsunami hit the country.
He stressed there will be no chances of Japanese and foreign tourists being exposed to contaminated food as Japan has imposed a strict ban on shipments of food that contain radiation exceeding the permissible level.

(...)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Good Morning. Just a little bit here...but a big little bit. I posted this in the censorship thread also.

Here is the MIC, ministry of communication , Government of Japan's new censorship directive letter in original form Japanese: www.soumu.go.jp...
www.soumu.go.jp...

And, here is the same Gov't document translated to English:
translate.google.com... s%2F01kiban08_01000023.html&act=url

ETA: FYI, if you go to the second/translated link above, you will find another "active" link on that page. Click on that link, it will take you to translated internal memos in the MIC agency. Keep finding any active links in pages to dig deeper. I think you will be shocked, now that's a mild word, to see what is in this document.

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Seven-Eleven To Buy More Rice From Battered Tohoku
(The Nikkei April 23 morning edition)

e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110422D22JFF05.htm

TOKYO (Nikkei)--The nation's largest convenience store chain will use more rice from Tohoku starting in mid-May, throwing its market clout behind the region's down-on-their-luck farmers.

Seven-Eleven Japan Co. will raise the content of Tohoku-grown rice in its "onigiri" rice balls to around 60% from around 50% -- an increase equal to 150 million onigiri a year. It plans to keep up the heightened level of procurement for one to three years.

The Seven & i Holdings Co. (3382) unit ranks among the country's biggest buyers of rice, taking nearly 2% of the domestic harvest. It used some 150,000 tons in the year through February. Much of it goes into the annual 1.5 billion or so onigiri it sells.

(...)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Good morning gang. Correct me if I'm wrong, here. Basically this article says, they would like to build a wall, 50 ft deep, on the beach side, to keep this mess from leaking into the ocean, but they can't commit to it,
[ Because it's too hot ?]. Also Arnie's new video, is on u-tube now, but one of you cleaver folks will have to bring it over. I have no idea how. It is also very cryptic. Thanks

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Sorry gang. It was this article, I was referring too. I replied to the wrong article.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
...ripple...ripple...

Right on the coast. 53 miles from Fukushima, 78 from Tokyo.

M 4.6, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan
36.629°N 140.632°E

Saturday, April 23, 2011 14:31:29 UTC
Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:31:29 PM at epicenter

Depth: 41.80 km (25.97 mi)

Posted on 23 April 2011 | 2:31 pm

Des

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Have they no shame
They couldn't pay me to vacation in Japan right now. The blatant twisting of data to further boost their flailing economy, is a crime. Why should S,Korea believe a word they say. I certainly don't.

Des

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I can not get your addresses to open. Could you please post the link for me?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

(((((((Kailassa and Beautiful Son)))))))

TY for an inspirational post. May the "shame" of a 1,000 lifetimes, fall on the heads of TPTB, that, in the name of greed, failed the people, they've been entrusted to protect.

Des

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

scary... its just so wrong......

God only knows if the truth will ever come out .....

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96

I can not get your addresses to open. Could you please post the link for me?

So sowwy...I must be channeling Elmer Fudd this morning...

Original Gov't document on implementing censorship: www.soumu.go.jp...

Translated to English same document Link translate.google.com... kiban08_01000023.html&act=url

TY for letting me know of my mind fart...I'll fix it in the OP also.

Des

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Engineers have to flush 170 cubic metres through the pond each day, creating a radioactive outflow into the sea. The operators say they need three more months for getting on top of the trouble.

Well there it is..finally stating that the daily flushing IS going directly to the sea, as we saw with the continued volume pouring out the outflow ports...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

TEPCO venting #3 Reactor...

oopsy...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If this has already been posted, please delete. TIA

Have found some uploaded videos...you've got to see this one Folks, listen to the radiation monitors going off...men screaming for help. Total chaos.

Full on-site video by first responders at Fukushima nuclear plant

www.youtube.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Actually there was an imbedded sub link that had auto start Des; quite enlightening one might say...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Communicater

Actually there was an imbedded sub link that had auto start Des; quite enlightening one might say...

Can you explain what the auto start means. I'm not getting the meaning...Thank You Communicater. I really do appreciate your help. Oh, and what do you mean by enlightening...TIA.

Des

new topics

top topics

<< 769  770  771    773  774  775 >>

join