It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 77.htm
<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

It does help to be informed, yes it does. The Mainstream Media is adding insult to injury IMO.

So many people died because when the nine-magnitude Pacific Ocean earthquake struck 80 miles off the coast of Sendai, warnings were issued that a tsunami would hit land in an hour.

But survivors said it struck in nine minutes.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Granted, maybe they did not have an hour to warn people, or maybe they just did not know it would hit so quick.

Point being that its not a good thing to lie and coverup the truth, when lives can be saved.

Here is another offical speaking, it seems we are being lied too.

I fully understand that panic is a bad thing, and can kill. But so do lies.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Oh SNAP! Any of you just see Wolf Blitzer's interview with Pete Dietrich of the nuke plant somewhere in CA? He was all "it could withstand a 7.0 quake" and the reporter's like "what about an 8.9 or 9.0 like Japan?" and the dude's like "oh yeah, it would be fine." Wolf says "but isn't he saying it WOULDN'T withstand an 8.9?" And the reporter asks for clarification and the dude goes into gravitational waves and whatnot, saying they designed it for a 7.0 at 5 miles away. Wolf goes "well, that doesn't pass the smell test, because he's saying 7.0 but we could have a 9.0, but we'll check his facts."

AWESOME! Will link to the video as soon as I find it on YouTube. Sure it will be there soon!

ETA: Just in case, it came from cnn live TV but the website probably doesn't have the piece on video yet----Blitzer is on as we speak.
edit on 14-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Japan radiation leaks feared as nuclear experts point to possible cover-up

Lack of radiation readings echoes pattern of secrecy employed after other major accidents such as Chernobyl

Nuclear experts have thrown doubt on the accuracy of official information issued about the Fukushima nuclear accident, saying that it followed a pattern of secrecy and cover-ups employed in other nuclear accidents. "It's impossible to get any radiation readings," said John Large, an independent nuclear engineer who has worked for the UK government
www.guardian.co.uk...

link   
reply to post by burntheships

I agree with you that cover-ups can kill, as will as misinformation, or lies. However, in the case of the current situation, I think due to the crisis caused by the natural disaster and the nuclear emergency; information is being put out from hundred fifty different directions, some of it good and some of it bad. That alone is what is causing the paranoia about this situation.

Moreover, it seems the MSM is not fact checking or corroborating the information they receive as well. In the world of immediacy and breaking news they are running anything and everything that crosses their path regardless of its merit or usefulness. People just need to relax and sift through the information as we have on here with a rational and reasonable mind. Although you bring up good points though, but I wouldn't call the information being given by the Japanese power company or the government a complete whitewash. They are managing multiple catastrophes, and all in real time.

I am fairly certain they realize this has become an international incident when their reactors went into meltdown mode, and a risk of radioactive dust clouds reaching other regions. It is no use making an already dire situation worse through misinformation, falsehoods, or innuendo. People are struggling with the power shortages, lack of water and food, locating missing family, or burying the deceased. They have plenty on their plate, and to play doom and gloom with this nuclear emergency is adding insult to injury. They say patience is a virtue.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

link   
www.reliefweb.int...$File/full_report.pdf

This is (what I believe to be) the latest REAL DATA update from the nuclear facilities. It contains updates for all 10 plants.

With all the varying info, who knows what to believe!

Peace!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Correct. They may be getting two processes mixed up, one where seawater is being 'flooded' through the heat exchangers for cooling, and the other where water (possibly seawater, since they are out of denatured water) is added to the reactor. The reactor cannot be directly cooled by water without exposing the fuel to open air and creating a massive radiation event.

These are reporters, not nuclear experts. Heck, half of the nuclear experts I have seen interviewed are not nuclear experts.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
BBC Wires are saying 1 minute ago that:

#
2129: Tepco said water levels inside the containment vessel were not immediately rising to the desired level, possibly because of a leak. Nevertheless, an official told a news conference: "We do not feel that a critical event is imminent."
BBC wires on event

A Leak of the cooling water, and its not even rising to cool the melting core, and "a critical event is not imminent" well he is right as its already here and happened already! It looks pretty bloody critical to me! Pumping in seawater with fire engines to cover nucelar material that is melting and its not cooling/working!

For more info to keep up to date on twitter the UN released a Twitter Who Who to follow on the evnts in Japan:
United Nations Twitter List who's who's Japan Disaster

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129th

Far too small to be anything more than a pressure crack, and it appears to be other lines steaming from the heat produced in the explosion.

If the reactor vessel opens up, you will not be able to miss it.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
imo the media is downplaying it all in the name of money, if they let out all the truth and true situation instead of all this "everything under control" "bad things are not imminent".....
what way do you think the stock market will react, as much as they have watered down the info already the jap stock has bien down 6% today alone. europe was nearly all down too and as for the companies that have make parts and the energy company that ownes the plants, i seen it down as much as 25% today.
it would be a lot worse if the truth be told and a LOT of more money lost to add to the damage already caused!
not to mention panic among the people and how prowd the jap people are(and rightly so, they are fantastic people) that they dont want to see themselves as defeated or being beaten!!

this is just my opinion tho!!

edit on 14-3-2011 by scoobyrob because: typo

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Wouldn't any crack be releasing something (steam/water) and wouldn't that be highly radioactive? Isn't that kinda major...not to mention a sign that the vessel is weakening.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

More conflicting reports... another report indicated the injection was successful.

If there is a leak in the vessel, this is a very bad thing...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Here is a bit of positive news coming from a US nuclear scientist from the watchdog group Union of Concerned Scientist Nuclear Safety Program (UCS).

Japanese nuclear reactor update: Amid signs of progress, new problems

"Units No. 1 and No. 3 seem to be trending to more stable conditions and increasing safety margins," said Dave Lochbaum, a nuclear engineer and director of the Union of Concerned Scientist Nuclear Safety Program (UCS), a US nuclear safety watchdog group, in a conference call with reporters. No. 2, however, remains in an unstable, volatile situation, he said.

Notice the quoted text said he made a conference call. I am only speculating here, but that could mean he is on site or nearby? This is mildly reassuring considering the crap heap those engineers are having to trudge through at this time. Hopefully, No. 2 can reach a more stable condition, and safety margins. Just a little bit of positive to alleviate some of the pressure caused by the negative.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
GMT 9.45

the Kyodo news agency reported that Mr Edano had told reporters that although engineers had been able to pump sea water into reactor 2 at Fukushima Daiichi, it remained unstable.

BBC

So is it cooling down or not?

As far as I can tell from multiple sources this core has spent at least 4 hours out of the last 12 with no cooling and open to the air.

The pressure caused by the steam was so great they could not pump in the seawater to cover the core from fire engines and fire houses!!

They lowered this and have started pumping in the water but it is not rising but coming staright back out from the core, as the level is not rising.

Therefore full stop thre is a breach!

If there was no breach the water would rise in the core.

As the pressure was so high before they started opening valves to vent steam etc, and tried to hook up fire engines to nuclear reactors the breach crack must have been caused by either rapid decompression of the internal pressure when vented or with the valves opened to vent, or tinkering with hoses.

Many msm reports have stated earlier that they could not rely on their instruments, as they were not working damaged, so therfore the controls for valves etc are liable to be in a similiar situation.

Either they have no control of the valves, and that is how the water is leaving the core area or it is breached already, that is why they are asking for help.

To surmise imho the core was partially melted already in the 4 hours of exposure to air only, and it is now totally melting down with the container breached, or just as bad it is still contained but the highly reactive water is just leaking "somewhere".

They are not being honest on this, as the above I reckon its gone already or is will over the next hour or two, if so we will know only when they get some of control then tell us.

Tell me if the containment is secure where is the water going?

Elf

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

A crack would release radioactive steam/water, as well as make it impossible to cool the core further.

Bad. Very bad.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

BREAKING NEWS: Partial defect found in No.2 reactor's container: Edano (06:58)

NEWS ADVISORY: No sharp rise seen in radiation from No. 2 reactor: Edano

Kyodo

Holy sh.......
edit on 14-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

www3.nhk.or.jp...
US Navy: helicopter crew exposed to radiation

The US Navy's 7th Fleet says 17 crewmembers have been exposed to low-level radioactivity released from a stricken nuclear power plant. The crew was aboard helicopters flying in relief missions in a quake-affected area of Japan.

The 17 were on 3 helicopters from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan, flying in rescue operations outside Sendai City

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Slight correction to the amount of japanes reactors = 55. Even if half of them are offline among with many geothermal and hydro-plants, it's not as bad as it sounds: Japan produces only 20% of the electricity it uses. Most of the power comes from abroad anyway.

About the information and panic: for me it would be an ease if authorities would say: "now the worst has happened and we have to prepare for fallout" (well, here in Finland it's easy to say). I mean; would it do harm if people were instructed to seal of some shelter even if the radioactive cloud wouldn't eventually hit them? I'd prefer instructions to being told "it's okay".

Hmm, but does the general public actually trust officials so much that they could "die happy"? Common propaganda is to say that nuclear power has not killed so many - but I guess people have some clue how much these disasters affect their lives in other ways than immediate mortality. Whole world has to watch where the plume goes and start to take samples from food and so on.

Somebody asked about plutonium emissions from the MOX fuel. They emit alpha radiation witch is wery bad inside the body, but doesn't show on geiger counters. Uranium emits alpha too, but is less intensive, doesn't go into bones AND emits strong gamma at the same time so it's easier to detected when its present.

I recorded and carefully edited a presentation to youtube, where anti-nuke physics professor from Canada (Gordon Edwards) explains these things. Part five (out of five) is about plutonium. Part 4 is about meltdowns. And the rest are off topic:3 2 1

A piece of information from the plant also: According to finnish radiation authority (news in finnish) some reactor hall walls have been torn down in unit #2 to prevent explosion in there too.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by strangeness

i posted a link to this on facebook several pages back

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Styrge

I think you're confusing oil/coal imports with electrical production. Japan doesn't import electricity.

Japan lacks significant domestic sources of energy and must import substantial amounts of crude oil, natural gas, and other energy resources, including uranium for its nuclear power plants. In 1999, the country's dependence on imports for primary energy stood at more than 79%. Oil provided Japan with 52% of its total energy needs, coal 15%, nuclear power 15%, natural gas 13%, hydroelectric power 4%, and renewable sources 1.3%. About half of Japan's energy is used by industry and about one-fourth by transportation, with nearly all the rest used by the residential, agricultural, and service sectors. Japan's energy intensity (energy use per unit of GDP) is among the lowest in the developed world.

Japan generated 1,018 billion kilowatthours (Bkwh) of electricity on 226 gigawatts of capacity in 1999. Of Japan's total generation in 1999, about 59% came from thermal (oil, gas, and coal) plants, 30% from nuclear reactors, 8% from hydroelectric dams, and less than 3% from geothermal, solar, and wind. Due to the country's desire to enhance its energy security, Japan has developed a large nuclear power industry. Despite its relatively high cost, natural gas, mainly imported as LNG, also is likely to experience considerable growth as a fuel for electricity generation. Renewables, chiefly hydropower and geothermal energy, also are expected to grow, and both coal and nuclear are projected to grow in absolute terms (although nuclear power's share of the market is expected to drop). An accelerating decline is projected for oil-fired generation, which is still more significant in Japan than in most other developed countries. In the short-term, Japan's economic slowdown had resulted in a sharp downturn in capital spending by utilities, which has delayed several new power plant projects.

www.geni.org... an/index.shtml

If they lose any more generating capacity, things could magnify horribly.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kithylin

Ops, sorry, im getting back up to speed on this, news seem to have slowed though.
af.reuters.com...
Japan's Edano: damage seen at Fukushima No.2 reactor

But still what is radioactivity doing that far away. I guess the chopper operated outside what they thought was a safe limit to the plant according to the info they had.

edit on 14-3-2011 by strangeness because:

top topics

<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join