It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 764.htm
<< 761  762  763    765  766  767 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Here are some recent videos featuring Dr Helen Caldicott. She certainly tells it like it is.

This first video appears to have been recorded on April 18th at a conference in Montreal "On the Dangers of Nuclear War."

This is video is from a democracy now broadcast where Dr Caldicott debates anti-coal advocate and british journalist George Monbiot.

The following is a very informative and indepth interview with Dr Caldicot on the nuclear industry then & now

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
TY NoAngel, she does tell it like it is. Lack of info from Japan is making a few ripples...

Retired nuclear engineer worried by lack of news from Japan
By Gale Rose
The Pratt Tribune
Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 03:11 PM

The recent silence from Japan about conditions at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility that was damaged in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami has a local man wondering just how severely the facility has been damaged.

The one thing he does know is that whatever is going on inside the reactors is very serious.

“It’s been kind of quiet out of Japan. This is not good,” said Eddie Petrowsky, nuclear engineer, area farmer and former employee of the Morris, Ill., Dresden No. 2 Nuclear reactor. “They’ve got some major problems.”

Petrowsky worked for two and half years as the lead nuclear engineer at the Morris facility, which is of the same type as the Fukushima facility, so he is familiar with its construction and operation.

When the aircraft flew over the site and dropped boron on the facility they were trying to absorb the neutrons from the explosion. Boron rods absorb neutrons and are used to control the nuclear reaction. The more the rods are pushed into the reactor, the slower the reaction, the more they are pulled out, the greater the reaction.

The use of boron also told Petrowsky that the plant was using plutonium in the reactor. Most countries are prohibited from using plutonium because it is easy to use it to make nuclear weapons www.pratttribune.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
uh oh...Glow in the dark autos being shipped from Japan...to Russia 49 so far...

Radioactive Japanese cars seized in Russia's Far East

English.news.cn 2011-04-15 14:28:10

VLADIVOSTOK, April 15 (Xinhua) -- Forty nine cars shipped from Japan were held Friday in Vladivostok in Russia's Far East after tests showed they had radiation levels six times the legal limit.

The cars were stopped at the customs checkpoint in Vladivostok ten days ago and are now packed into boxes, waiting for authorities' decision on whether to use or abandon them.

The Far Eastern customs checkpoints have been equipped with radiation detectors and portable radiation meters to check imports. Customs inspectors found traces of the radioactive isotopes cesium-127 and uranium-238 on some of the used cars.

Imports from Japan are being closely monitored by Russian authorities for a possible radiation contamination as its neighbor is struggling to avert a major nuclear leakage. news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Deutsche Presse-Agentur - France's EDF aims to learn lessons from Fukushima nuclear disaster

Apr 21, 2011, 16:08 GMT

www.monstersandcritics.com/news/business/news/article_1634461.php

Paris - The world's largest nuclear power operator, EDF, said Thursday it aimed to learn lessons from the recent disaster at a power plant in Japan.

At its headquarters in Paris, the state-run French company said it would create a rapid reaction taskforce, to be deployed in cases of emergency.

It would be able to react within 24 to 48 hours to work on possible power outages or breakdowns in cooling systems, EDF bosses said at a press conference.

At the moment EDF is only prepared for such incidents if one reactor is affected...

(...)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Kan Criticized as He Visits Fukushima

By TOKO SEKIGUCHI And MITSURU OBE * ASIA NEWS
* APRIL 21, 2011, 11:48 A.M. ET

TOKYO—Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan came under renewed criticism Thursday as he visited the area around Japan's damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex and unveiled tightened limits on the plant's evacuation zone, as frustrations mount over the government's handling of the nuclear crisis.

To my knowledge, they have not plugged the leak to date...

Meanwhile, plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. released further details about the accidental release of highly radioactive water from the plant earlier this month, saying it totaled 520 tons and had concentrations of radioactive material of about 100 million times Japan's legal limit, underscoring the scramble to plug the leak.

And still...evacuees ask for the bare basics...like food.

"We don't think the government is making enough of an effort," said Shinichi Suzuki, deputy mayor of the town of Naraha, citing what he said was a lack of information about the crisis, as well as the fact that a nearly a quarter of his town's 8,000 residents are still in shelters.

"Many people are still living in a gymnasium without any privacy, more than a month after the evacuation," he said. "The government should have built more temporary housing. Food is also a problem. There are many elderly among the evacuees." online.wsj.com...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: sp

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: link

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

awesome that sort of half answers my question. How'd they do that so quick as far as I know having zeolytes of those characteristics are definitely in limited quantity and are somewhat expensive too. So now they are saying they designed the material eh? Ok how about more information on this? Again more hollow information without any real meat to the subject. I pointed this out a many pages ago and I'll say it again, these generic answers are indicative of something which they are hiding (perhaps the actual crudeness of what they are doing versus what some people can imagine could be done with a well designed material for this purpose).

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Found this bit of info. If the scientist is accurate, it could be a boon to aiding TEPCO in this mess of a crisis. Alas, the poor man is not making progress in dealing with TPTB.

By Yoree Koh

French nuclear engineering company Areva SA will lend its services to treat the pools of radioactive water at the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, lifting a crucial obstacle hindering repair efforts. But a Japanese chemist claims he has developed a powder substance in less than a month that he says could decontaminate the toxic water 20 times faster than the French method, thereby significantly accelerating progress toward the ultimate goal of cold shutdown.

Tomihisa Ohta, a professor at Kanazawa University’s graduate school of natural science and technology, says his white powder, made up of an assortment of natural minerals and chemicals, would essentially capture the radioactive materials from the contaminated water in a process that could treat 1,000 tons of water in an hour. Areva’s treatment system can remove radioactive material from 50 tons of water an hour.

Mr. Ohta said he reached out to Fukushima Daiichi operator Tepco and the government about a week ago when he finished developing the radioactive bent powder. Discussions are ongoing, he said. Relevant Tepco and government officials couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. blogs.wsj.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Another new one...right off Fukushima, 18 mile to N.E. Those buildings have got to be crumbling by the hour.

M 5.6, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan
37.508°N 141.268°E

Thursday, April 21, 2011 16:11:16 UTC
Friday, April 22, 2011 01:11:16 AM at epicenter

Depth: 36.60 km (22.74 mi)

newsblogged.com...

P

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Nuclear Agency Speaks

Okay I was hoping this report would show up again on NHK and I figured out where they hide the older stories DOH!

You need to listen to these questions and answers...

www3.nhk.or.jp...

For some reason the video won't play for me on this page.. but sound works. If anyone can copy this to youtube would be appreciated

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Cesium-134 in Northern California topsoil more than double previous test

All is well uh?

edit on 21-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonbeams771
I am going to assume that everything that TEPCO tells us, may possibly be questionable.

The figures change every report... it's a good thing we have kept all those previous reports
When things settle down a bit I will start the history collection on my site. Will take a while though... lots of data to sort

Letting TEPCO do the environmental impact study on the ocean and fish is STUPID... that needs to be done by an independent agency...

And if TEPCO is to do it, I want to see them catch and eat fish off the coast of the plant

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen

Originally posted by okiecowboy
you see what is going on already..only a few diehard posters remain here already...how many will be left after we get nothing out of japan to work with at all?

Just wanted to let you know something here. I started posting on the 8.9 thread back in the beginning hours of the event and when people much more capable and knowledgeable than me came along, I gladly stepped away. Then everyone one was funneled here to contain the number of threads.

That said, I have read every single post on every single page of this thread since day one and will continue to be here every day, reading along. The posters who have given us the constant updates and intel are shining examples of the brilliance of ATS and I for one and proud to be in their company. I am positive that there are many folks still here, still reading, still disgusted and dismayed and so thankful to you regular posters here for keeping us updated. We don't post because we can't offer anything of substance to the topic.

We lurking posters should post more often that we appreciate the hard work and tireless efforts of the regular posters of this thread and let you know that we very much appreciate you and hope you continue to do the great work you are doing.

Yes me to, im still here ....although i never have anything to post, just still in shock by it all...

A slight worry here in the UK today though....have no idea if it has anything to do with whats going on in Japan..did you guys have 'smog' in the states ?
We have been told to stay indoors over the weekend ?? weird...

Smog alert in UK

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Japan asks OECD to help stop fears of radiation

Finally some good news
On the Japanese government trying to stop info on radiation... OECD says;
Gurria replied that using the Fukushima nuclear accident as an excuse for introducing protectionist measures is unacceptable

apan has asked the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, or OECD, to stop other countries' curbing of Japanese imports based on unscientific fears of radiation.

Japan's trade and industry minister Banri Kaieda made the request at a meeting with visiting OECD Secretary-General Angel Gurria in Tokyo on Thursday.

Kaieda said European and other countries are restricting imports of farm products from northeastern Japan, and that some countries are also rejecting Japanese industrial products for fear of radioactive contamination.

Gurria replied that using the Fukushima nuclear accident as an excuse for introducing protectionist measures is unacceptable, and that the OECD will work with the World Trade Organization to discourage such moves.

Kaieda told the secretary-general that Japan faces a grave situation following the March 11th disaster and nuclear accident, and that Japan wants the OECD's advice on rebuilding the country's economy.

Gurria said the OECD will cooperate in confirming the safety of other Japanese nuclear power plants and testing radiation levels of agricultural and marine products.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 16:48 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Another Blow to TEPCO workers

TEPCO plans wage cuts to fund damage payments

The operator of the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is to cut annual salaries of its workers by around 20 percent as part of efforts to fund compensation payments over the nuclear accident.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company has reportedly informed its labor union of the plan.

The company says it will make temporary damage payments worth more than 600 million dollars to 50,000 households subject to evacuation orders or indoor evacuation advisories.

Total compensation payments, however, are expected to balloon to tens of billions of dollars, as damage is spreading to agricultural and fishing industries.

Sources say 32,000 employees will see their monthly wages slashed by 5 percent, and their bonuses cut around by half. Bigger cuts are expected for corporate executives and mid-level managers.

The firm also plans to reduce the number of its new recruits, which stood at about 1,000 this spring, by more than 100 each year for the next 5 years.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 20:14 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks for the link! I did find it on youtube.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

edit on 4/21/2011 by gr82m8okdok because: (no reason given)
This guy
Pull his toupee off and feed him some eel and wash it down with rain water. Oh even better, Tepco and Edano should go play in the sand to show how safe it is!
Lunacy.
edit on 4/21/2011 by gr82m8okdok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

The country with the largest percentage of nuclear power in the world can only handle ONE reactor in distress?!?!
Yikes!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Radioactive Japanese cars seized in Russia's Far East

English.news.cn 2011-04-15 14:28:10

VLADIVOSTOK, April 15 (Xinhua) -- Forty nine cars shipped from Japan were held Friday in Vladivostok in Russia's Far East after tests showed they had radiation levels six times the legal limit.

Customs inspectors found traces of the radioactive isotopes cesium-127 and uranium-238 on some of the used cars.

oh I want a radioactive car, t'would be cool and the legal limits already have a huge built in safely margin so 6x wouldn't worry me.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

I've heard those cars recieved glowing reviews...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Tworide

It seems so, more on EDF(Electricité de France ), somewhat translated from French :

Agence France Presse - EDF veut créer une force d'intervention rapide en cas d'accident

translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.charentelibre.fr/2011/04/21/edf-veut-creer-une-force-d-intervention-rapide-en-cas-d-accid ent,1032269.php&act=url

top topics

<< 761  762  763    765  766  767 >>

join