It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 758.htm
<< 755  756  757    759  760  761 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoAngel2u
reply to post by imlite

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to get them downloaded, uploaded to youtube and provided for us here.

Ditto.

Good work imlite.

Much appreciated.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
How nuclear and haarp went together, for the only way to study the magnetic field, was to inject ionized particles everywhere.

One day when the holes in the magnetosphere get larger or it fails altogether YOU will be lining up to thank HAARP for the shield they put up to save your butt.. you heard that here first

The food supply from Mexico to Canada is destroyed.

Really? Well in that case we are all dead and nothing matters anyway...

I think I will go have a quart of ice cold milk

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

He reiterated that the Bushehr nuclear power plant complies with the latest safety rules and standards, and said, "Our up-to-date knowledge assures us that what happened to Fukushima will not occur at the Bushehr nuclear power plant."

Is it Israeli rocket proof too?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Greetings:

Here are some screen shots of the India protest from NHK World today.

This is the river site of the proposed nuclear plant.

This is what the local people do not want.

This is the region of India where the nuclear plant is proposed to be built.

This is the actual site where the nuclear plant is proposed to be built.

This is a local chanting,"Hell no - we won't glow!"

These are the village people marching in protest of the nuke plant.

These are more of the protestors - I think they look serious.

Who says anti-nuke protests have to be dull?

Billboards protesting the plant.

The caption says it all.

More billboards protesting the plant.

S. K. Malhotra, of the Indian Department of Atomic Energy, says that the nuclear plant will go forward regardless of the public opinion "because there is no other energy choice available."

Enjoy.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

edit on 20/4/2011 by thorfourwinds because: color tag?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoAngel2u
reply to post by imlite

Is this footage you took of your computer screen while watching the video, or is this the actual footage they took of their screens?

Their screen... full feature is here

福島第一原子力発電所 2号機の原子炉建屋内をPackbotで撮影

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by imlite

To bad you were not around to catch the interview/grilling of NISA spokes person on NHK last night

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by NoAngel2u

TY Angel, and no, you are not paranoid. I can't access any way in either. I'll try several different back doors, and keep trying. It's a very informative site. I made sure to delete all the personal info on the folks in Japan/phone #s, before posting here. Wish I had copied that data and kept it now.

Des

Greetings:

Not sure what you were referring to, unless this might be it.

Points of Contact in Japan:

Dr. Fumitoshi Matsuno, matsuno@me.kyoto-u.ac.jp

Points of Contact in US:

Dr. Robin Murphy, CRASAR, murphy@cse.tamu.edu, via Kimberly Mallet

Joshua Chamot, National Science Foundation, jchamot@nsf.gov, (703) 292-7730

Tim Schnettler, Texas A&M, tschnettler@tamu.edu, 979-458-2277

Vickie Chachere, University of South Florida, (813) 974-6251

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I know we have talked about groundwater before and the reports of units 5 & 6 flooding..
anyone have any ideas about this?

Meanwhile, at Reactor No. 6, one of the two units that have survived the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, workers Tuesday pumped 100 tons of water from the basement of the turbine building into the reactor's condenser unit. NISA said underground streams are a possible source. Before the crisis, streams beneath reactors No. 5 and 6 were pumped to divert water, a process that hasn't been conducted since the quake.

link

If there is a underground stream running under the site..and it is shallow enough to seep groundwater into 6...any ideas of where it starts and stops?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Hi, been a while since I've posted having been busy with other things but I have been trying to catch up and just wanted to say a huge thank you to those who continue to contribute analysis, collate data and reports from around the world here on this valuable thread.

RE: Clean up/14 years for TMI, consider this:

Chernobyl new radiation shield funding fall short

An international conference called to raise funds for new safety measures at the site of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster has fallen 25% short of its goal.

The Ukrainian government said it had raised 550m euros of the 740m euros ($1bn; £600m) it needed to finance a massive new radiation shield.

The new structure will be the largest of its kind in the world - an arch more than 100m (328ft) high, 250m (820ft) wide and 160m (524ft) long.

It will be assembled away from the Chernobyl site and then slid into place over the damaged reactor, before the ends are blocked up. It is expected to give Ukraine 100 years to dispose of the nuclear waste.

Link to article posted 19 April 2011 by BBC news

OK, so Europe is reported in the same article as coughing up another chunk to get close to the budget target on this, but really it has taken 25 YEARS for mankind just to secure the funding to build an adequate containment structure there??? For just $1bn....25 years??? To prevent a further nuclear catastrophe/discharge from Chernobyl...I know, I've read about what may happen if that shoddy structure collapses...

I agree, this is one of the most worrying things, (and the UN know it), just how hapless the world really is at sorting out who will pick up the tab and get round to paying for the cleanup, in anything like a reasonable time-frame.

Just think of the things any sane person may have chosen to forego where they in a position to, as say world leaders are (meant to be), to sort this out as the priority it is. Any one of us could pick a few funding areas I'm sure. What about SOME of the money spent on hosting the Olympics in those 25 years? I've seen estimates of upwards of $3 billion on average spent by each city to host a games, and that doesn't come close to the total actually spent by mankind plc. on them once you factor in TV coverage-rights payments...there have been 7 summer (if you include the pending London 2012) and 7 winter Olympics - 14 all in since 1986...the world somehow found the cash for all those massive construction projects, all delivered on time (more or less), but not a measly $1bn to sort out this 25 years later? I know, the structure was perhaps found wanting several years on, but, really, look at it's importance...

I hope none of you think I have anything in particular against the olympics, but it was simply the first example of global co-operative spending on a comparable scale...something that somehow a global nuclear catastrophe doesn't appear to catalyse our glorious leaders into action on, and is essentialy a non-essential, recreational budget.

And that's just the Chernobyl plant site, remember the whole surrounding area is another matter, and I know work has been done, but would you live there yet?

I agree, I'm afraid we're in for the long haul, and I'm afraid we'll have seen at least one more catastrophe before even the plant clean up is sorted at Fukushima?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
If there is a underground stream running under the site..and it is shallow enough to seep groundwater into 6...any ideas of where it starts and stops?

Where is stops is the ocean... but it's soaking up rads on its way through the plants...

Since they say they installed pumps to divert it, seems they knew about that during construction... Hmmm but lets keep building anyway, its not like this water will ever cause issues...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

I'd love to see some hard-fact data on how much the site itself sank* in the wake of the 'event'. As has been discussed earlier we have seen reports of that area being thought to have sunk up to - what was it - 75cm - down against sea-level...so they may not just be fighting the fact that they stoppped pumping/diverting sub-terrainian water flows, but that the entire topography and flow model for that area may have significantly changed/been rearranged, and that may not yet have stabilised, or peaked...I mean that's yet another reason to be anxious about their coming storm season...isn't it?

[*Also - distortion or tilt, and the new relationships of the geology/topography/erosion in relation to the plant site and it's foundations...from what I've seen so far I thought it was possibly going to on average have an increased rake down towards the sea, that may not be good for stability or seperation of drainage and the plant structures/foundations etc...Remember at Chernobyl they're talking 25-30 years to build a proper containment structure and then 100 years clean up...so you won't want the water flowing underneath to be possibly rapidly altering the stability of things there - just another complication over and above the Chernobyl to-do list I'm afraid]
edit on 20-4-2011 by curioustype because: *Added thought - linked

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
High radioactive levels detected in reactors

Robots have detected high levels of radioactivity inside the reactor buildings of the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant. The plant operator says the radioactivity must be reduced to allow work inside the buildings to bring the crisis under control.

Tokyo Electric Power Company surveyed the interiors of 3 reactor buildings on Sunday and Monday using robots equipped with dosimeters and cameras.

TEPCO says that over 50 minutes the robots found18.9 millisierverts of radioactivity in reactor Number 1 and 6.46 millisierverts in Number 2. The levels are hazardous to humans even over a short period. Levels of radioactivity were not available in the Number 3 reactor.

Video footage also suggests various difficulties that could hamper operations inside the buildings.

Footage of the Number 3 reactor shows steel plates and other debris scattered on the floor following the hydrogen explosion of March 14th. The doors of the circuit box were open, raising fears that the power system has been damaged.

TEPCO says humidity inside the Number 2 reactor was 94 to 99 percent, fogging up the robot's camera lens.

The company says the humidity indicates that radioactive steam leaked into the building. It says it will need to install air conditioners to ventilate and clean the air of radioactivity before people can work there.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 06:08 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

on April 17th they said this...

fears that the power system is damaged? Really? You didn't know? And the debris '"could hamper operations inside the buildings"
go figure. I guess they expected to find the lights on and a clean floor... sheesh...

Funny that a robot made to climb stairs couldn't get over that low rubble pile...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Levels of radioactive water rising despite efforts

The operator of the troubled Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant continues to transfer highly radioactive water near a reactor to a storage facility.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says work has been underway since Tuesday to move 10,000 tons of highly contaminated water accumulated in the turbine building of the Number 2 reactor to an on-site waste processing facility. The water has been pumped into the facility at a rate of 10 tons per hour.

TEPCO says the toxic water level in a tunnel near the turbine building was 2 centimeters lower as of 6 PM on Wednesday. But it says because there was no change in the water level in the basement of the turbine building, the leaking of toxic water into the basement appears to be continuing.

The utility company also says the water level in a tunnel linked to the Number 3 reactor has been rising several centimeters a day for the past week. The water is expected to rise to about one meter below the ground level soon.

The company says water levels are also rising in the Number 5 and 6 turbine buildings.

TEPCO says an estimated 67,500 tons of contaminated water are now in the Number 1, 2 and 3 reactors alone, hampering efforts to restore the reactors' cooling systems.

The utility says at the Number 1 reactor, some cooling water poured in has likely evaporated.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 06:08 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

I'd love to see some hard-fact data on how much the site itself sank* in the wake of the 'event'. As has been discussed earlier we have seen reports of that area being thought to have sunk up to - what was it - 75cm - down against sea-level...so they may not just be fighting the fact that they stoppped pumping/diverting sub-terrainian water flows, but that the entire topography and flow model for that area may have significantly changed/been rearranged, and that may not yet have stabilised, or peaked...I mean that's yet another reason to be anxious about their coming storm season...isn't it?

from what I gather the platform of the plants is about 10 meters above sea level..with the torus or basement level about 10 meters below ground..If the sub-terrainian water source is close enough to seep 100tons of water into the basement of the plants..It can't be that much deeper...and with the feed and bleed that has been going on in the area I would imagine that the ground is pretty soft....does not bode well for storm season like you say

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

TEPCO says that over 50 minutes the robots found18.9 millisierverts of radioactivity in reactor Number 1 and 6.46 millisierverts in Number 2. The levels are hazardous to humans even over a short period. Levels of radioactivity were not available in the Number 3 reactor.

and yet info from TEPCO's own gauges show radiation levels of 103 Sv/h. ( sievert, not millisievert.) at the Torus level of unit 2...so yeah I think # 2 is hazardous

source

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Also, it was a massive area affected by that land movement, and there appears to be higher ground (hills) surrounding that site...so if all of it tilted further towards the site, could it be that this storm season there will be more water draining in that direction than has done previously?

Think of how our town planners now understand the cumulative effects of many new paved areas substantially tipping an area towards unprecedented flooding incident rates, and you see what I'm driving at, there may be more surface area feeding those channels...above and under ground?

Just a theory but I certainly think this ought to be on the check list for their guys to watch/deal with in their short and long-term plans...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Short term plan...get air conditioning so glowing fog from heat goes bye bye. Long term plan...ZILCH.

...and...canceled plans...

Tepco Cancels Reactor Plans
| Wed, 04/20/2011 - 13:24

Tokyo Electric Power Co. has cancelled plans to build two 1,380-megawatt reactors at its damaged Fukushima Daiichi plant.

Tepco will submit a new plan for the plant in the near future, company president Masataka Shimizu said Monday in his testimony to Japanese Parliament, according to Tokyo news sources. Tepco had planned to build the No. 7 and No. 8 reactors in 2012 and 2013.

Consumed with radiation crisis control at the facility, Tepco officials said they have not yet considered alternatives to replace the lost capacity. No timetable has been set for a revised electricity supply plan.

The company will put Fukushima Daiichi in cold shutdown within six to nine months.

In related news, Tepco officials have said they must reassess the company’s overseas investments in nuclear power plants, which would include Tepco’s planned joint venture with NRG Energy to build a nuclear plant in south Texas. www.breakbulk.com...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I want to know more about said, "white smoke". below in April 20, update. And that pesky R4, keeps gulping water....tsk tsk tsk...

Plant Status
Work to strengthen the electrical power system between Units 1 - 2 and Units 3 - 4 was completed on 19 April. White "smoke" continues to be emitted from Units 2, 3 and 4.
In Unit 1 fresh water is being continuously injected into the reactor pressure vessel through the feedwater line at an indicated flow rate of 6 m3/h using a temporary electric pump with off-site power. In Units 2 and 3 fresh water is being continuously injected into the reactor pressure vessel through the fire extinguisher line at an indicated rate of 7 m3/h using a temporary electric pump with off-site power. In Unit 4 fresh water continues to be sprayed onto the spent fuel pool using a concrete pump truck.

IAEA Briefing on Fukushima Nuclear Accident (20 April 2011, 16:00 UTC)
by International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 at 2:10pm

On Wednesday, 20 April 2011, the IAEA provided the following information on the current status of nuclear safety in Japan:
1. Current Situation
Overall, the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant remains very serious, but there are early signs of recovery in some functions, such as electrical power and instrumentation.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

JMA - Japanese Meteorological Agency advisory briefing - link

Increase of the risk of the submergence and flood during the spring tide associated with the ground sink caused by the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake

Therefore, it is necessary to pay special attention to the tide level and to prepare for the submergence and flood in these regions, especially during the spring tide, when the flood tide level becomes higher than usual. Special attention should be paid to the tide level around spring tides (until the end of April);

from 18 to 26 March, 2011
from 1 to 11 April, 2011
from 16 to 24 April, 2011

Now I imagine that if they were unlucky enough to get significant rainfall on land (from say a cyclone, or just cumulative) coinciding with a storm surge, the newly 'tipped-and-dropped' terrain would quite probably cause even more significant problems for the site.

Plus, I know that the fact they built this site, the reactors, ON bedrock, digging down to it, but I read this and had another thought:

In the earthquake affected area, the risk of sediment disaster is higher than usual because the soil in these areas has been shaken and loosen. For the risk reduction of such multiple hazard, we adjusted accordingly the criteria of warning and advisory on heavy rain and associated sediment disaster. Please see here for the details.
The 2nd Message from Dr. Hatori, Director-General of the Japan Meteorological Agency on "The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake"

So, the reactor/main structures may be ON rock (albeit with a new, raised and invasive water flow pattern) but are they (or power lines/infrastructure) surrounded or in the path of any potential new mud slide hazards from higher ground/floods in the wake of the quake?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Can't remember who wanted this, oh well, don't get old...it sucks. Here it is.

Japanese Government Interactive TV
11ch Press Conference
Press Conference
2011/04/20

Press Conference by the Chief Cabinet Secretary (April 20th, 2011, at10:57) nettv.gov-online.go.jp...

Des

new topics

top topics

<< 755  756  757    759  760  761 >>

join