It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 752.htm
<< 749  750  751    753  754  755 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I see this as a sign that covering up or lying about radiation levels in Japan may be coming to and end soon...

known as the iGeigie, this particular device is a portable Geiger counter in disguise that will dock with your iPhone. Truly, there is an app for just about everything, including making sure nuclear disasters can be cleared up soonest possible in the most efficient manner.

This particular set-up will be able to compute Counts Per Minute while letting you make use of your iPhone to listen to the amount of clicks which will correspond to the current radiation level. Would you want to carry this around with you to your favorite sushi bars to make sure that whatever morsels that go down your throat is safe from radiation?
LINK

I found this to be a interesting story...

More help is on the way for Pendleton Oregon's ravaged sister city of Minamisoma, Japan. Monday night, the Sister City Support Project agreed to purchase 10 radiation detecters at $850 each and get them to Minamisoma City Hall.
LINK

Earlier in this thread there was talk of building a Geiger counter this one is a kit...

This DIY project will require some assembly knowledge, using the Arduino chipset to turn it into a low-cost alternative to current devices.

You will be able to get it done with a compatible geiger tube for €95 ($135) or sans one for €30 cheaper.
LINK

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Yet another study gathering dust on TEPCO's bookshelves from just last year. Fukushima should have cracked open the book they have now become the poster child for.

Nuke plant meltdown warning went unheeded

Japanese nuclear power plant operators were totally unprepared for the potential long-term loss of power supply, a lifeline to help cool nuclear reactors, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Meanwhile, the Japan Nuclear Energy Safety Organization (JNES) released last fall a simulation in which a nuclear reactor would have a core meltdown and other consequences only 100 minutes after losing its cooling capabilities.

The study shows that a meltdown began about one hour and 40 minutes after the water- pumping function stopped. About 3 hours and 40 minutes later, the pressure container broke down and about 6 hours and 50 minutes later the containment vessel also ruptured.

At the Fukushima nuclear plant, the pressure within the containment vessel of the No. 1 reactor abnormally surged at 1:20 a.m. on March 12, about 8 hours and 40 minutes after the reactor's water-filling function failed. Radioactive steam was vented from the containment vessel and a hydrogen explosion occurred at 3:36 p.m. the same day.

In the No. 3 reactor, the water injection function malfunctioned, prompting the release of radioactive steam and triggering a hydrogen explosion shortly after 11 a.m. on March 14. The reactor's cooling function equipped with the reactor's pre-warning device was believed to have been still operative for some time after the loss of its power source.

Source

More evidence they knew what was happening this entire time. And they are still getting away with it. So sad and so wrong. And it's not just TEPCO. Thanks all for the reading materials this evening. Very helpful.

There has been so much discovery in this disaster recently, I'm still trying to wrap my head around exactly where this plant stands and what this carnage says about the social structures we have allowed to exist. It is so far beyond the cold shutdown verbage on Tepco's website....Where is truth and honor in our modern business model?

Wait a minute...it's here. Where a virtual here can have more truth and honor and reality than a RW here, So grateful to all the beautiful minds on ATS. It gives some hope for tomorrow. Thank you so very much for sharing your thoughts and ideas and inklings. At least people have a place to come and follow along and find out what is really happening. A place to begin to fit the pieces together. A place to assemble and share and compare.

I sleep better knowing the ATS night crew/day crew/afternoon crew you name it are on duty. There are people who care deeply about what we are doing to our world and why this is being allowed to happen.

Thanks again. Everyone.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
And they really expect us to believe that the two robot thing they tried is the best they can come up with??

Auq 9, 2001

The Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute (JAERI, President Kenichi MURAKAMI) has developed a "radiation-proof robot", which is designed to collect information in the high radiation environment in an accident at a nuclear facility.

The new development has a radiation resistance of about 105 Gy, which is 1000 times loger than that of RESQ. This feature makes the robot capable of continual information and sample collection at an accident site in a high radiation environment.

source

Really tepco??

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Since this latest seismic activity could have a considerable effect on Japan, and possibly the world, some of you may be interested in viewing this thread just posted:

The Final Warning to Tokyo

A new quake has occurred on the southern subduction zone, and combined with the other recent seismic activity creeping up on Tokyo, I feel it is pertinent.

What is your education, training and experience in seismology?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow

Since this latest seismic activity could have a considerable effect on Japan, and possibly the world, some of you may be interested in viewing this thread just posted:

A new quake has occurred on the southern subduction zone, and combined with the other recent seismic activity creeping up on Tokyo, I feel it is pertinent.

Before you get destroyed by those who are going to in this thread., if trueamerican felt it necessary to come in this thread, if I were you I would go check it out. Of course do your research, but this guy is like a geo god around here. Instead of asking (and it sounded demanding), just go read his threads and make up your own mind.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

Before you get destroyed by those who are going to in this thread., if trueamerican felt it necessary to come in this thread, if I were you I would go check it out. Of course do your research, but this guy is like a geo god around here. Instead of asking (and it sounded demanding), just go read his threads and make up your own mind.

well said! ..yeah TA's track record is such that right or wrong I would at least take a look at what he is saying just in case

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

reply to post by bitbytebit

I have read a fair amount of his recent posts, I just wanted to put those opinions in a little more context. I wasn't going to jump on him, if he said seismology has been a 20 year hobby that he takes seriously, that would mean something, plus he doesn't have anything to lose like if he worked in the industry or was Univ prof, that's a bonus to me, I would trust him more.

If you've read "a fair amount of his posts" then you would know full well the answer to your questions and not need a reason to attempt a thinly-veiled undermining of his credibility. Merely trusting someone who sits behind a desk or has a degree is a symptom of a singular lack of the ability to question those in authority.

Trust is something that is earned, in a way similar to a degree, and,unlike a degree, is easily damaged. Giving trust to someone and not considering the disservice being done to those who earn it is also symptomatic of shallowness.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Just so this won't be completely off topic I add the following for your consideration:

Denis Flory, deputy director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said in Vienna that the agency would send its first fact-finding mission to the stricken Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station before a high-level meeting on nuclear safety at the end of June in the Austrian capital.

Here it is over a month and the IAEA just now decides to send a team. Remember, they have no real authority over any country's nuclear industry, all they can do is suggest guidelines With that in mind, one has to wonder what purpose they serve at all.

The agency hoped that the team would make proposals to improve the situation so those who had evacuated from an exclusion zone around the plant because of radiation leaks could return home as soon as possible, Flory said.

Flory also said the amount of radiation released by the plant was expected to decrease substantially if efforts to bring it under control go as planned.

emphasis mine

This displays either a profound lack of understanding of nuclear contamination or a willing program of sadistic negligence if people are allowed to return to certain areas anytime within our lifetimes. It also shows continued admitted uncertainty in regards to Tepco's "countermeasures."

Flory also said it would be necessary to assess the condition of other Japanese nuclear plants, including the nearby Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station and the Onagawa Nuclear Power Station in Miyagi prefecture, both also affected by the March earthquake. The quake prompted the two to shut down automatically.

'There will be a need to assess if they are in a good condition after the earthquake or if there are measures which need to be taken,' he said. 'This will be our role, to help assess the situation based on IAEA safety standards.'

Standards which no group has any means to enforce. What good are rules if they have no teeth?

edit on 19-4-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: clarified thought

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
i have been following this thread since the begining and dont say much..just read cause most of my questions are answered thru reading 3 to 5 pages of this thread. what i am amazed at is the level of ignorance here in america about what is happening in japan..'out of site or MSN' ..out of mind. most people i have talked about this have know idea what is happening..they know the beginings but not what is actually happening now...no news in the main stream..

MRBILLSHOW..since you have been on ATS www.abovetopsecret.com... &display=posts
227 post in this thread..... and this thread only..since you started here on ATS on march 16. 2011.(by the way this is a function on ATS..to see all of the posts and threads a member has contributed to...just saying).to me that makes me question your motives on ATS...as i read thru only some of your recent posts, you seem to be taking TEPCOs side ..not that is an entirely bad thing..but it makes me question your reason and begin here on ATS..you tend to re post others ppost and give 1 or 2 lines of nothing..........just makes me question why you have 227 post in this forum and only in this forum.......oooops way off topic sorry

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
i have been following this thread since the begining and dont say much..just read cause most of my questions are answered thru reading 3 to 5 pages of this thread. what i am amazed at is the level of ignorance here in america about what is happening in japan..'out of site or MSN' ..out of mind. most people i have talked about this have know idea what is happening..they know the beginings but not what is actually happening now...no news in the main stream..

MRBILLSHOW..since you have been on ATS www.abovetopsecret.com... &display=posts
227 post in this thread..... and this thread only..since you started here on ATS on march 16. 2011.(by the way this is a function on ATS..to see all of the posts and threads a member has contributed to...just saying).to me that makes me question your motives on ATS...as i read thru only some of your recent posts, you seem to be taking TEPCOs side ..not that is an entirely bad thing..but it makes me question your reason and begin here on ATS..you tend to re post others ppost and give 1 or 2 lines of nothing..........just makes me question why you have 227 post in this forum and only in this forum.......oooops way off topic sorry

if he gets kicked I get kicked, let me be clear on that I am with you clear mind and thanks for the research
edit on 19-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

edit on 20-4-2011 by mrbillshow because: ref post excised

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Hello All,

I recently stumbled upon a blog that I think some of you might like to check out. It is written by a retired geophysics engineer who worked for a big utility company. He writes about nuclear power and geology. I don't know this person and I don't understand much of what he writes, but I think some of you super smart ATSers might enjoy it.

ontario-geofish.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

Originally posted by jjjtir
Agence France Presse - Radiation release from Fukushima won't increase much: IAEA

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110419/sc_afp/japandisasteraccidentnucleariaea

VIENNA (AFP) – The overall release of radiation from Japan's tsunami-hit nuclear plant will not increase much between now and when it is finally brought under control, the UN atomic watchdog said Tuesday.

Japan has been working feverishly to bring the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, 250 kilometres (155 miles) northeast of Tokyo, into safe shutdown since it was hit by a 14-metre (46-foot) tsunami on March 11, triggering the world's worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl.

(...)

That's pretty good , a French (*cough* areva lost 1.62billion* cough*) watch dog says, "The overall release of radiation from Japan's tsunami-hit nuclear plant will not increase much between now and when it is finally brought under control", wow . pretty amazing , what are they sending huge rolls of swan wrap , and corks to to fukushima. Perhaps France has those pixies and unicorns we were needing a while back finally ready go ...
how do you say massive FAIL in french? and what does 'disconnected' mean?

Still catching up, but since you asked:

massive fail = massif échouent

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by OuttaHere
They need one of these:

Remember that story when NASA spent millions to make a pen that works in space and the Russians said "A pencil works just fine..." ?

Well...

At Chernobyl Russia went and got one of those RC toy tank models, strapped a camera and a detector onto it and sent it right up to the corium (Elephants Foot) to take photos and readings...

They go for around $37.00

And that one even shoots ammo!

Hey...maybe after they send it in and get it all radioactive-like, they could shoot the "enriched radiation" rounds at the TEPCO and JapGov execs!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
And where is THIS one hiding?

Mitsui's 600-kilogram Moni-Robo is reportedly on site at Daiichi. The one-armed robot is designed to be operated remotely—from as far as a kilometer away—and includes a camera that can take video as well as 3-D thermographic images. The 150-centimeter-tall Moni-Robo rolls along on tracks and also features sensors for measuring radioactivity and detecting combustible gases.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Thisi article was dated March 24, 2011

edit on 19-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

They're using THAT one to perform colonoscopies on the TEPCO executives.

They're trying to find out where their heads are at!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Silverlok

You've become very verbose as of late. Do you really think people want to read all the bullshine you put out?

Clear trolling.

I too went back and looked at your previous posts and discovered a pattern that was evident and unsubtle.

First few posts were agreeing with general tone and contained a tiny bit of sarcastic humor to attempt to ingratiate yourself. It took a while, you've got 12 pages invested in this thus far, so you didn't come right out with what you were trying.

You've posted very few links and very many simplistic and manipulative-laden verbiage comments that have added very little progress or insight into any of the various facets of this disaster.

You say we've gone off topic chasing rabbit-hole subjects and attempt to rail against it in this post:

reply to post by zorgon

snip

And I certainly won't be able to compete with the great "skull caper". It's just too damn sexy.

You even try to give it a cute little name. You're trying to plant the idea that there can be only one line of inquiry into this subject.

If you were to spent the time an go back looking through this thread at the links that have been supplied to support arguments made on these pages you would be astonished at the range of subjects that have been discussed.

Seismology
Nuclear Physics
Structural Engineering
Digital Hardware
Robotics
Image Analysis
News Article Deconstructions
Social Psychology
Biology
Nutrition
Geo-magnetics

To name only a few.

Certainly, there have been a few that even here are considered too fringe. But you would find that there as also rational answers and substantive lines of study suggested to lead to a more rounded answer.

This thread is a treasure trove of information/opinion/updates/mind soothing to SO MANY people you'd probably be astonished (I wonder how many people read this and don't post for whatever reason?). It's being quoted worldwide, demonstrably monitored by the people "in charge" of the nightmare over there, it's made predictions as to actions and consequences on the bares of information.

It will withstand your puny attempt to destroy the discussions about this subject.

My apologies to everyone.
[/relevant]
_______________________________________________________________________________________

[relevant]

The government says those living near the nuclear plant won't likely be able to return home for six to nine months or maybe longer.

source

This is the first inkling that I've seen mentioned anywhere that it may be longer than 6 months for a return home.

I suggest spending some time browsing google earth around the shoreline of Japan and look at the stretches of devastation caused by the tsunami and try to grow your heart some because there's a lot going on and adding this nuclear beast to the mix is beyond anything we've encountered before.

Their ongoing plan is to smother it with water and try too keep it cool, manage the meltdown so that it doesn't get too visually out of hand. As long as nothing goes boom, they've got it made while they poison the Pacific!

edit on 20-4-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: sourced, got my temper riled and forgot my etiquette.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pforkp

Here's their "logic":

North Pacific fish are so unlikely to be contaminated by radioactive material from the crippled nuclear plant in Japan that there's no reason to test them, state and federal officials said this week.

Perhaps it's because there hasn't been enough time for that cesium to get into the North pacific and be taken up by fish... yet

ocean dispersal

Gonna see if I can find a video

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Please let people say what they wish. It is your choice to believe them or not. This is a conspiracy web site, not CNN. Chill, and move on. Then everyone will be happy, including those that tire of enduring sarcarstic posts.

new topics

top topics

<< 749  750  751    753  754  755 >>

join