It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 751.htm
<< 748  749  750    752  753  754 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

and

notice the relative scale and shape correspondence (in the lower picture there is a door frame to the left and a stair railing in the background, I'm not saying that's the deal but the resemblance is uncanny (if the sheet isn't a red hearing, it may be to hide the latch/lift hooks )

also

The 'cube' thing is a monster, probably about 1-1/2 times teh size of a mini-van but those fittings on the side sure make it look like...

the steam dryer or separator ...

take it with a grain of salt but it is huge and seemingly out of place ( and not easily dragged of and hidden either)
come to think of it that thing is probably way too huge to fit under that cap , so I must be wrong on the big thing, perhaps I have the scale wrong.

edit on 19-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoAngel2u
Seriously I feel like my head is going to explode,,, gonna out in the sunshine and take a walk with the dogs before my brains become poolium.

Speaking of Poolium mine is now a nice shade of green and I swear it looks like it's breeding the Swamp Thing
I think I need to drain about 35,000 gallons into the environment and dump in some fresh water

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

No need to warn the neighbors just throw the hose over the fence, on the new share and share alike (except the money) Tepco program waste management plan
edit on 19-4-2011 by Silverlok because: six thumbs it's a southern thing

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Also who took this picture? the second bot? And why can't it drive on the clear spot next to the rubble pile

seems like the second bots job was only to take pictures of the first bot..(only tepco would do something like this)

the steam inside was so dense that a robot mounted with a camera was unable to get a clear image of a radiation sensor carried by the other robot, Japanese officials said.

The radiation sensors are not part of the robots’ original equipment, and must be carried separately without the capacity to store readings, officials said.

NY TIMEs

this is so sad.....I could fix that problem under 100 bucks

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
TEPCO BUSTED! I felt a chill when I put this together. Theres an old adage that says when a crime is committed "Look for the woman or the money"

I FOUND THE MONEY

Please bear with me and follow this trail.

Our story starts at the last few days of March when Tepcos stocks did this:
ktwop.files.wordpress.com...

Nose dived to 1/3 their value

On 9th April I posted this on ATS
"Now nuclear companies all over the world must be looking and thinking "You know what? even if we have an accident, lie about it, and completely mismanage the disaster. MSM will stop reporting in a month. So we can make more money by buying up public shares when our stocks dip (using the cover story that we need to protect out stock price) and sell them back a couple of months later when it all blows over."

On 11th April this was widely MSM reported
"Tokyo Electric Power Co. has received a combined 2 trillion yen in loans from financial institutions as it faces damage to its generation facilities, including the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, in the wake of the killer earthquake and tsunami, it said Monday." 2 trillion yen is $700 million

On 18th April Leo Straus posted this:
"TOKYO — Japanese regulators and executives of the Tokyo Electric Power Company are asking questions about a seemingly coordinated series of stock purchases two weeks ago that led to an undisclosed buyer or buyers acquiring a large bloc of the utility, which owns Japan’s dangerously damaged nuclear power plant.
Regulators want to know whether the trades, valued at up to $600 million and placed from Hong Kong during the week of April 3, were structured to circumvent Japanese securities laws, which require the owner of more than 5 percent of a publicly traded company to file disclosure papers identifying the shareholder.
Depending on the prices at which the buy orders were executed, they could add up to nearly 10 percent of Tepco’s shares."

Watch for the final step which will be TEPCO getting gov't help to maintain/improve its share price.

So TEPCO execs borrowed the money using TEPCO as collateral, then used the money to buy shares at 1/3 value. They are guaranteed to get their money back at least when govt maintains price. And if the stock improves in the med term they can sell it at massive profit long before the investigation is complete. Then like a certain Kaiser Sozeg poof! the money is gone......

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
SDF personnel sent to nuclear zone flees in panic

A Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force member who'd been assigned to work near the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has been dismissed for fleeing in panic.

The Defense Ministry says the 32-year-old sergeant was sent from Tokyo to Koriyama city, in Fukushima Prefecture, 2 days after the March 11th earthquake and tsunami to help decontaminate local emergency shelters.

On the next day, he drove away without permission in one of his unit's trucks. He was later arrested by a Self-Defense Force police unit on suspicion of theft.

The sergeant has reportedly told investigators that fear of the nuclear accident made him panic. He was dismissed on disciplinary grounds on Tuesday.

The commander of the Ground Self-Defense Force's First Division, Yoshiaki Nakagawa, expressed regret at what happened while so many SDF personnel are working hard in the disaster zone. He pledged to tighten discipline and prevent a recurrence.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 18:54 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

So what did they do? Chose to use the robots LEAST LIKELY to do the job? Doesn't Areva have super radioactive emergency response robots?

You know... Japan is supposed to be a world leader in robotics...

Amazing Actroid female robot

Now look at THIS ONE

But there must be something robots can do at Fukushima?

There's plenty robots can do -- and are already doing. Perhaps the most important job at the moment is monitoring radiation. Dangerous levels of radiation prevent emergency personnel from accessing the buildings, so we need robots that act as our eyes in and around them. Only by gauging the damage can authorities devise effective plans to control the situation.

Prof. Tadokoro says theres already at least one robot on site equipped with cameras and sensors to measure gamma and neutron radiation [see photo above]. (The authorities are also measuring radiation with non-robotics methods, of course, on the ground and using airplanes and helicopters in Fukushima and elsewhere.)

Developed by the Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute after a nuclear accident at a fuel processing facility in Tokai in 1999, the tank-like robot is 1.5 meters tall and weighs in at 600 kilograms. The robot moves at about 40 meters per minute and can operate at a distance of 1.1 km from its controller. Researchers designed this robot for several missions, including opening doors, turning valves, and drilling a hole on pipes. These capabilities could be useful inside the Fukushima reactors, but it all depends on whether the robot would be able to navigate inside treacherous spaces.

spectrum.ieee.org...

edit on 19-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well, I am somewhat relieved to hear this:

When I last chatted with NRG Energy CEO David Crane, he explained to me how the nuclear disaster in Japan had created an environment of uncertainty for U.S. nuclear projects, and specifically for the expansion of NRG’s own South Texas nuclear plant. That’s partly because Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), the beleaguered utility that owns the damaged nuclear plants in Japan, was supposed to be an investor in NRG’s nuclear project.

Knowing how Tepco has a documented history of willfully ignoring safety protocols and sidesteppIng regulations, I had some serious personal concerns that they may become involved, even tagenitally, with a nuclear power plant just a few miles down the coast.

We've already got BP in the Gulf of Mexico and I've posted before that they are a huge part of the town in which I reside; to add Tepco into the region would give me a whole other level of motivation to want to leave.

And that saddens me as my family has been here for at least three generations prior to mine and can be traced through the Ellis Island Lists into Italy back to the early 1700's and to have to consider leaving is a blow to my heart.

Further in the same article is this:

The NRC is reviewing all nuclear projects built and under construction in the U.S. to see if there could be any lessons learned from the Japanese nuclear incident.

I'd say there are several lessons to be learned from the situation:

• Don't build nuclear plants in areas if known high seismicity
• Don't ignore safety violations and gloss over structural problems
• Don't place back up systems where they may be damaged at the same time as the primaries they are meant to replace
• Do develop a realistic plan based on the worst of the worse case scenarios you can imagine
• Do maintain open and honest communication to thos who's lives would be affected should a thing go wrong
• Do accept any and all assistance as soon as it is offered when it migt make the difference between accident and utter disaster

And I bet many of you here could add to this list a great deal.

But what do I know? I don't even have a degree of any kind and am largely self-taught, although my voracious reading has encompassed an increadibly wide range of topics fueled by an insatiable curiosity to gain knowledge.
Source for above quotes.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

The 'cube' thing is a monster, probably about 1-1/2 times teh size of a mini-van but those fittings on the side sure make it look like...

Did someone mention a gigantic robot in that picture? Robbie the Robot on steroids?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Knowing how Tepco has a documented history of willfully ignoring safety protocols and sidesteppIng regulations, I had some serious personal concerns that they may become involved, even tagenitally, with a nuclear power plant just a few miles down the coast.

I gotz it
TEPCO is the chosen form of the Anti Christ

Sorry couldn't resist... Devil made me do it... I go away now and clean my toxic waste Poolium...

Later...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

So what did they do? Chose to use the robots LEAST LIKELY to do the job? Doesn't Areva have super radioactive emergency response robots

Of course if they use Robots suited for the job then real radiation numbers might actually be found out...ruining the story that it's not harmful to human health

If I remember right they were offered the use of KHG robots back in march..like these KHG

but of course they turned down the offer....

so why cant they duct tape the monitor to a stick in the view of the first robots camera....???

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
More robots to the rescue...

PRESS RELEASE 4/18/11: Underwater Robots to Help Japan Recovery
Posted by Dr. Robin Murphy on April 18th, 2011 at 9:58 am UTC

A team of experts and four state-of-the-art small underwater vehicles led by Texas A&M with funding from the National Science Foundation will be working with their Japanese counterparts to help with inspect damaged bridges, docks, and pipelines, as well as with victim recovery. Restoration of utilities, transportation, and shipping typically depend on inspections by manual divers, who must work in murky waters and in fear of debris being washed into them by the high currents. Advanced underwater vehicles have been used in the aftermath of Hurricanes Wilma and Ike and the Haiti Earthquake, but little is understood about how these robots can be used for disasters or how they can be designed to be more effective. In order to learn more about these technologies while helping local townships, the International Rescue Systems (IRS) institute in Japan invited the team to assist with an intense five-day effort from April 19-23 around Sendai and Minami-sanriku-cho.

The five person team consists of industry experts from AEOS and Seabotix and researchers from Texas A&M and the University of South Florida’s Center for Ocean Technology. The team is being led by Prof. Robin Murphy, director of the Center for Robot-Assisted Search and Rescue (CRASAR) at Texas A&M University, and Dr. Eric Steimle from AEOS, a Florida start-up company specializing in marine environmental monitoring. The team members are donating their time and equipment through the CRASAR humanitarian Roboticists Without Borders program. CRASAR is the leading organization in the world and has deployed land, sea, and aerial robots to 11 previous disasters including the 9/11 World Trade Center Collapse and Hurricane Katrina.

Welcome to the Center for Robot-Assisted Search and Rescue (CRASAR) at Texas A&M University

CRASAR’s mission is to improve disaster preparedness, prevention, response, and recovery through the development and adoption of robots and related technologies. Its goal is to create a “community of practice” for rescue robots that motivates fundamental research, supports technology transfer, and educates students, response professionals, and the public.

CRASAR makes a wide range of small land, sea, and air robots available for use by responders at no charge through the Roboticists Without Borders program.

It helps organize and sponsor conferences such as the annual IEEE Safety Security Rescue Robotics conference and workshops such as the recent NSF-JST-NIST Workshop on Rescue Robots.

A good overview of rescue robotics is Chapter 50 of the award-winning Handbook of Robotics.

CRASAR now in Japan with the International Rescue Systems institute, heading to Minami-Sanriku-Cho
Posted by Dr. Robin Murphy on April 18th, 2011 at 9:55 am UTC

Our five person, four marine robot team has arrived in Japan to assist the International Rescue Systems Institute (IRS) with inspecting damaged bridges, docks, and pipelines, as well as with victim recovery for five days. We’ll be experimenting with four different suitcase-sized remotely operated vehicles (ROV), smaller versions of the tethered ROVs used at the BP Oil Spill but just as capable.

Dr. Eric Steimle, AEOS, and Karen Dreger of the University of South Florida’s Center for Ocean Technology have brought a Seamor ROV with advanced imaging sonars and a smaller-than-a-soccer-ball AC-ROV with video. Sean Newsome and Jesse Rodocker have brought two Seabotix ROVs, the SARbot which is optimized for responders to put in the water in 3 minutes to save crasar.org...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Real-time, worldwide earthquake list for the past day
M 5.1, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan
34.061°N 140.124°E

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 23:07:02 UTC
Wednesday, April 20, 2011 08:07:02 AM at epicenter

Depth: 90.20 km (56.05 mi)
Posted on 19 April 2011 | 11:07 pm
newsblogged.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Thought this news might interest some:

FDA Refuses to Test Fish Radioactivity - Government Pretends Radioactive Fish is Safe

You may say, "Wait WHAT? Why wouldn't they test fish on the West coast since we know for a fact TEPCO has been dumping radioactive water into the ocean???"

Here's their "logic":

North Pacific fish are so unlikely to be contaminated by radioactive material from the crippled nuclear plant in Japan that there's no reason to test them, state and federal officials said this week.

DeLancey, the FDA spokeswoman, said "We have not been doing any testing. We've been working with NOAA to keep an eye on U.S. waters, to see if there is any cause for alarm, and we do have the capability to begin testing if that does occur."

Asked to explain what kind of monitoring was taking place in the ocean, DeLancey said, "You would have to talk directly to NOAA ... I don't really want to speak for another agency."

But NOAA fisheries spokeswoman Kate Naughton declined to answer questions and referred a reporter back to DeLancey and the EPA.

DeLancey said that so far, there's no reason for concern about Fukushima. The radioactive materials in the water near Fukushima quickly become diluted in the massive volume of the Pacific, she said. Additionally, radioactive fallout that lands on the surface tends to stay there, giving the most unstable ones isotopes like iodine time to decay before reaching fish, she said.

Guess they forgot about Cesium 137... And that ocean currents head from Japan to the US that are reported to be delivering tsunami debris... They still say not to worry - this is from the Wallstreet Journal:

U.S. public-health officials sought Tuesday to reassure consumers about the safety of food in the U.S., including seafood, amid news that fish contaminated with unusually high levels of radioactive materials had been caught in waters 50 miles from the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan.

No contaminated fish have turned up in the U.S., or in U.S. waters, according to experts from the Food and Drug Administration [which isn't testing], Environmental Protection Agency and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They expressed confidence that even a single fish sufficiently contaminated to pose a risk to human health would be detected by the U.S. monitoring system. [But would the government announce such detection?]

They also dismissed concerns that eating fish contaminated at the levels seen so far in Japan would pose such a risk. [Alexander Higgins points out that Japanese fish exceed federal radiation limits by 2400%]

Thomas Frieden, head of the CDC in Atlanta, said he expected continued detection of low levels of radioactive elements in the water, air and food in the U.S. in coming days, but that readings at those levels "do not indicate any level of public health concern."

Downplay, dodge, parry, THRUST - I guess the new spin should be "x amount of radiation is good for you", since you can't deny radiation is reaching the food chain for long.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pforkp

No problems with the fish, the extra eye is value added if you like fish head soup...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
A big Kudos to you guys running this thread!

"Tokyo Electric Power Co. has received a combined 2 trillion yen in loans from financial institutions

What I would like to know, who is backing them? Is it a global government backing to quell the actual problem?
I don not see the return on the investment?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALTERNATECH
I don't know how or why this server has near live reactor data, but it does and I'm greatful.
www.gyldengrisgaard.dk...

Great link. Thanks.

On the April 18th 6am Fukushima webcam shot, there was a lot of steam coming out...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
On top of that the government recently had a meeting saying they would have to impose a new "recovery tax" to help rebuild the Japanese economy...the video link was way back in this thread.

Tokyo Electric hedged its bets just to make sure all the bases were covered.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Since this latest seismic activity could have a considerable effect on Japan, and possibly the world, some of you may be interested in viewing this thread just posted:

The Final Warning to Tokyo

A new quake has occurred on the southern subduction zone, and combined with the other recent seismic activity creeping up on Tokyo, I feel it is pertinent.

top topics

<< 748  749  750    752  753  754 >>

join