It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 748.htm
<< 745  746  747    749  750  751 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
April 19, 2011 10:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Cabot Pledges $500,000 in Contributions to Japan-Relief Efforts

www.cabot-corp.com/About-Cabot

www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110419006302/en/Cabot-Pledges-500000-Contributions-Japan-Relief-Efforts

BOSTON & TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Cabot Corporation (NYSE: CBT) has pledged $500,000 to support earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan, company officials announced today.

“We are grateful for the foundation’s support to our local communities”

At the request of the company’s employees in Japan, Cabot will immediately donate a total of $100,000 to Aizu-Wakamatsu City and the Fukushima Prefecture Social Welfare Division.

In addition, Cabot will donate $400,000 to local organizations dedicated to providing relief or rebuilding communities.

(...)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Depak Chokra hosted a Livestream discussion on 4-16-11 concerning Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant, in relation to the Fukushima disaster, with the following 5 guest speakers:

Paul Gallay
Arnie Gundersen
Duane Peterson
Harvey Wasserman
Irwin Redlener, MD

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Cabot makes tantalum alloys for among other things, the nuclear power industry.

Tantalum is used to make components for chemical plants, nuclear power plants, airplanes and missiles.

Commercial Resources
edit on 19-4-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
One of the good things to come from situation at Fukushima is the renewed attention to Chernobyl.

Governments from around the world today pledged $785m (€550m) to seal the stricken nuclear reactor at Chernobyl within a 20,000-tonne steel shield that would be large enough to enclose St Paul's Cathedral in London. The huge arch is designed to prevent any further radiation from escaping for 100 years.

World governments, which had already raised more than €1.1bn in international funding for the shelter, as well as for a permanent nuclear fuel store for other reactors on the Chernobyl site, said that the current crisis in at the Fukushima plant in Japan persuaded them to respond to the appeal by Ukraine, which estimates the accident has so far cost the nation more than $12bn.

The Guardian

I tended to think of the Chernobyl disaster as being in the past, but the reality is that the plant still poses considerable danger to this day.

"There is almost 200 tons of radioactive material still inside the old sarcophagus," said Dodd, who has worked here off and on since 1995. "And the existing sarcophagus was built in six months in 1986 under, I should say, fairly heroic conditions and it had a design life of 10 years - that’s almost 25 years ago."

Voice of America

This news is a reminder that "cleaning up" after a nuclear disaster is a very, very, very long process - something we will likely to have to leave to our children.

The promotional video on the Guardian site demonstrates the HUGE scale of the work required for decontamination. Hopefully some of this will help the Japanese deal with Fukushima.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
GlobalDirt.org has updated their Google Map of Radiation Readings near Fukushima.

Yes, I'm aware we haven't resolved some questions about their readings.
Yes, I'm aware Rednecks last post was about them.
Yes, I noticed that their website is now... down.

edit on 4/19/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Thank you TEPCO...saying "pellets" have melted....sheesh, they make it sound like bb's decided to melt to a liquid state, all by their little own selves.

April 19, 2011 in Nation/World
Radiation levels keep repair workers at bay

Just because Edano says it...doesn't make it so.

“Even I had expected high radioactivity in those areas. I’m sure (plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co.) and other experts have factored in those figures when they compiled the roadmap,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said.

Officials said Monday that radiation had spiked in a water tank in Unit 2 and contaminated water was discovered in other areas of the plant. They also described in more detail the damage to fuel in three troubled reactors, saying pellets had melted. www.spokesman.com...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)
:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

The very informative and pointed daily posts about the situation at Fukushima by Dr. Genn Saji, former Secretariat of Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission at
www.ambersharick.com...

stopped the day (4/17) this link was first posted to ATS. I hope it's just a "co-inky-dink"

He sure wasn't happy with TEPCO and the Japanese govt response to the disaster.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Tworide because: added date

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
During the past 24 hour period JST

5.1M, depth: 58km 19/4 23:10
4.7M, depth: 10km 19/4 15:53
4.9M, depth: 21km 19/4 14:05
5M, depth: 48km 19/4 13:04
4.7M, depth: 25km 19/4 06:33

This may not appear as any good news, but until about a week ago the daily average was just over 29 every 24 hours.
My only take is that a reduction is probably good news, if there actually is anything perceived as good by anyone about this whole situation in Japan.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Communicater because: comment added to fact

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
U.S. Department of Energy Blog

The Situation in Japan (Updated 04/18/11)

Last month, the U.S. Department of Energy released data recorded from its Aerial Measuring System as well as ground detectors deployed along with its Consequence Management Response Teams.

Today, the Department provided the following update on the information gathered by the AMS.

edit on 4/19/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tworide
reply to post by Destinyone

The very informative and pointed daily posts about the situation at Fukushima by Dr. Genn Saji, former Secretariat of Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission at
www.ambersharick.com...

stopped the day (4/17) this link was first posted to ATS. I hope it's just a "co-inky-dink"

He sure wasn't happy with TEPCO and the Japanese govt response to the disaster.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Tworide because: added date

Perhaps the site owner just hasn't updated with the latest report from Dr Saji? It's only been a couple of days
Here is her twitter account. Amber Sharick It has not been active since then either. Would be nice to know where she gets ahold of his reports.

The last update from Fairewinds took 5 days and I was eagerly (impatiently) cking for it daily.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Here's hoping cooler heads prevail in N.Korea.

N. Korea TV reports seriousness of radioactive leaks at Japan plant

PYONGYANG, April 18, Kyodo

North Korea's state television has reported the seriousness of continued radioactive leakages at a Japanese nuclear power plant hit by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that devastated northeastern Japan.

In a Korean Central Television Station program broadcast Sunday night, experts voiced concern about the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant.

''What is most serious is that even a month after the accident, we see no prospects of getting radioactive leakages under control,'' an expert said. english.kyodonews.jp...

Areva to the rescue....maybe...maybe not.

Fukushima: Areva responsible for decontaminating radioactive water

Tags: Areva, decontaminating, Fukushima, radioactive, responsible, water
89751 europe economy 5430706359 d05ed7c383 m Fukushima: Areva responsible for decontaminating radioactive water
by European Parliament

Fukushima: Areva responsible for decontaminating radioactive water
French nuclear group Areva will provide a system for decontaminating radioactive water from the site of the Japanese central Fukushima, announced Tuesday, April 19 President Anne Lauvergeon.

The operator of the nuclear accident, Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO), “has accepted our proposal,” said Ms. Lauvergeon at a press conference in Tokyo.
60,000 tons of radioactive water on the plant site

“This is a method for treating contamination: we will inject chemicals into the contaminated water and this technology should allow radioactive substances to settle to the bottom”, separating these materials contaminated water, has detailed the groups president. economicsnewspaper.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NoAngel2u

I'm not sure everyone is aware of this:

In my own snooping around on numerous websites, I have personally found that when you first look for something that has several pages showing, and after not finding what you are looking for in recent activity; the site will ask you after you search all the pages do you want to repeat the search and include duplications...click yes, then you will see things pop up that were not there before (apparently its a form of lightly masking a sites information without removing it entirely).

Perhaps that will help you and anyone else having difficulty in finding items on search...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moonbeams771
Another vague information release posing more questions than answers?

Fukushima plant not to have meltdown if cooling continues: Edano

''Compared with before, should I say stabilizing, or it can be said at least that we have been able to do cooling to a certain degree. If we can continue this cooling, such a thing is unlikely,'' Edano said at a news conference, when asked about the possibility of a total meltdown of the plant.

Kyodo

"Total meltdown of the plant" ? - Is anyone really expecting the whole plant to melt down to a giant blob? Not even Chernobyl did that - in fact, despite the problems at reactor four, Chernobyl kept operating reactor three for years following the incident.

"Cooling to a certain degree"? - Are we talking a little or a lot here?

"If we can continue" - Did they intend to use of "if" instead of "when"? "If" suggests an amount of doubt in the ability to continue.

"Unlikely" - But not impossible? A lot of "unlikely" things seem to keep happening at Fukushima, despite these reassurances.

Basically it's what we have been saying here for a while , since they had to FINALLY stop using the ocean as a coolant and waste storage dump ( I'm sure they still are , they have to be , at some level ) they cannot get rid of the heat from 3 core melts in various stages and a bunch of melted poolium, and the recirculation of water is not going so well because of the insanely high levels of radiation and heat that are staying trapped in it . So basically I think he is laying the ground work ( or trying to) to get away with another sea dump...I mean they thought they got away with the open core and #4 pool scams, so hey why not , right?
edit on 19-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by Silverlok

NP,
, it's impossible to catch everything in this monster thread. Also, I notice the data shows some pressure in the RPV of #3, now how would this be possible if the lid has blown off as Redneck and a number of others here have speculated? Were we wrong?

well I also misquote it was #2 that was melting on the 23rd when it was actually #1( which fits the night cam glows ), so anything is possible , but I see no number higher than .42 on the 14th , and then a steady decline from there so I would say that we can reasonably say that pressure is due to HIGH temperatures ( as whatever was left in the core juiced ) , Anything over a hundred degrees C would produce some pressure, dispersal would depend on how air is convecting out of the chamber , and we have seen steam occasionally so I am reasonably sure that's what we're seeing

and at first (from the visual evidence) I didn't think the cap popped , but close study ofhte explosion and debris field , with a good deal of team work from people on this site has me 100% certain that at the very least the concrete and steel (yellow caps are off ) and about 99% the primary cap (core or RPV) is off or severely compromised

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Out of my intense respect for the honest, caring, self-sacrificing executives running TEPCO, I've been collecting their quotes.
I'm including translations for those who have trouble understanding TEPCO-ese.

TEPCO Talk

(January 31st) "Known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors may cause TEPCO's actual performance to be materially different from the forecasts above."
= And you thought nuclear power was cheap, safe and reliable! Muahahaha.

(March 12th) "Currently, there is a possibility of a release of radioactive materials."
= If you think this outpouring of radioactive gases is bad, just wait to see what Reactor 3 is about to do!"

"We announced the increase in reactor containment vessel pressure, assumed to be due to leakage of reactor coolant. However, we do not believe there is leakage of reactor coolant in the containment vessel at this moment."
= There was water leaking out of a reactor, but not any longer now that it's empty.

"Some fuel may have been damaged at reactor"
= There's this bloody great hole in the bottom of a now-empty reactor!

"Nuclear steam had been cooled by the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling system."
= We run water from the reactor core through pipes in the ocean, and the earthquake busted them open, so now we're pretending the cooling system is isolated from the reactor core.

"The current operating status is unclear."
= Help! I want a one-way ticket out of here!

"We've also lost ability to control pressure at some of the reactors at our Daini plant nearby."
= We've really only got trouble at one plant; you can trust us.

"Indication of monitoring posts installed in the site boundary is not different from normal."
= We haven't manned those posts for years.

"One of our employees working in the Unit 1 was irradiated at over 100mSv level(106.3mSv). Because of absence of industrial physician, so he will be diagnosed at a later day."
= We'll be able to diagnose him ourselves tomorrow. Dead is dead.

"1 subcontract worker at important earthquake-proof building was unconscious and transported to the hospital by an ambulance."
= We're sworn to secrecy about the weapons research going on in the "important earthquake-proof building".

"Presence of 2 TEPCO employees at the site are not confirmed."
= We'll find them as soon as we can trace where the smell is coming from.

"Unit 1 (Boiling Water Reactor, rated output 460 Megawatts) and Units 2 and 3 (Boiling Water Reactor, Rated Output 784 Megawatts) that had been operating at rated power automatically shutdown due to the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake."
= None of these reactors shut down successfully and we're shidding our pants and selling our stocks while awaiting the meltdowns.

"The measured value revamped and the radiation dose measured at site boundary exceeded the limiting value again."
= Facts? You couldn't handle no stinkin' facts.

"Radiation at Fukushima No. 1 plant has surpassed legal limit"
= Not for long though. We'll have that limit changed before you can say "meltdown"!

"We have not confirmed an exposure of nuclear fuel rods"
= Cameras couldn't find anything looking like a fuel rod in the lumpy lava mess.

"Top of MOX fuel rods 3 meters above water at Fukushima plant"
= The 4 metre-long fuel rods are standing in a little puddle of salty water. Walking near these uncovered rods is immediate death.

"Afterwards, in Unit 3, High Pressure Core Injection System has been automatically shut down. Re-activation of Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System was attempted but failed, and as we were unable to confirm the level of water injection to the reactor by the Emergency Core Cooling System, at 5:10 on March 13th, it was determined that a specific incident (Emergency Core Cooling System water injection inability) stipulated in article 15, clause 1 has occurred."
= Therrre she blows, matey.

"We are working around the clock."
= You've seen the clock we work around. We showed it in a photo of a non-working, (but lit,) control room.

"There is a falling trend (in water levels)".
= The cooling pools have no bottoms or walls.

"Contaminated water containment facility"
= Pacific Ocean

"We measured low levels of radiation."
= We held the Geiger counter close to the floor.

"Radiation of 100 Sieverts per hour was measured."
= We used a dosimeter which measure up to 100 Sieverts per hour.

"Radiation levels were low enough that workers might be able to re-enter the building for short periods of time."
= Someone's got to do it and 2 minutes in there has already killed the robots.

edit on 19/4/11 by Kailassa because: formatting

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

I'm sure you are just attempting to be continually informative as you have been through this, but just a thought.

Negative thought waves are by their nature inherently destructive.

Positive thought waves are the 180 degree reciprocal; creative.

Perhaps a lot of the information here is in kind of a middle window [ ] so to speak.

To my understanding of words/thoughts/expressions/creativeness/destructiveness in that middle window can be likened to treading water, not really ascending or descending; or going forwards or backwards, perhaps likened to an aircraft in a headwind whose actual speed over ground is absolute zero because the two forces are in equal and opposite reaction to each other.

I'm not trying to be critical of people posting; just attempting to express my thoughts in an understandable way.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Communicater

There's nothing negative about facts or honest, intelligent speculation.

If you find such things negative, the negativity exists in your own mind.

Is a fireman being negative when he points out your house is burning down?

edit on 19/4/11 by Kailassa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

"Descent from heaven" meaning to say that they feel as though they are gracing our presence merely by deigning to exist within our world.

After reading the article after reading your quote I came to the following decision and or opinion
Simply put.....

Public sector jobs like a ministry position are very honorable because you represent the entie country not some greedy ass power company's stock holders.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I see your point; negativity does not exist from my perspective.

What I do feel is that it could, may, might, or has had that effect on some reading the discussion.

I wasn't trying to deter discussion on the topic at hand; maybe at times I'm a little too receptive to others thoughts.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Radiation at No. 2 spent fuel pool 30,000,000 times above normal & 15,000 times more than troubled No. 4 pool

… Monday night, Tepco said it detected high radioactivity coming from the spent fuel pool of the No. 2 unit, indicating that either the fuel rods in the pool were damaged or steam containing radioactive materials that rose from the reactor dissolved in the pool water.

Some 160,000 becquerels per cubic cm of cesium-134, 150,000 becquerels of cesium-137 and 4,100 becquerels of radioactive iodine-131 were detected in a water sample extracted from the storing pool on Saturday.

new topics

top topics

<< 745  746  747    749  750  751 >>

join