It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 746.htm
<< 743  744  745    747  748  749 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Nuclear refugees facing years in exile

By Hayden Cooper

www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/19/3195184.htm

Thousands of nuclear refugees in Japan's north are facing months, and more likely years, before they can return to their homes.

The Fukushima plant's operator, TEPCO, is offering compensation, but that has done little to quell the anger of people who just want their lives to return to normal.

Some of the evacuees are being housed in an evacuation centre at a gymnasium deep in the north-eastern suburbs of Tokyo.

Hideki Miura, 21, has been living in the centre for a month.

"It was hard in the beginning, but I've made some friends now so it's more fun," he said.

He is one of about 150 nuclear refugees living in the evacuation centre after fleeing the area around Fukushima.

(...)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ALTERNATECH

Thanks for the link.

I really appreciate this thread and the contributors.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
A few days after "head of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan, Takashi Sawada", now another body confirmed it.

Japan Agency Admits Fuel Melt at Fukushima N-Plant

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011041900018

Tokyo, April 18 (Jiji Press)--The industry ministry's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency on Monday acknowledged that nuclear fuel rods have melted at the No. 1 to No. 3 reactors of the crippled nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture, northeastern Japan.

(...)

On March 12, officials of the nuclear agency noted that nuclear fuel may have melted at the No. 1 reactor, where radioactive cesium was found.

According to the agency, such radioactive materials as technetium-99m were detected in the No. 2 and No. 3 reactors. Technetium cannot be released unless fuel pellets in nuclear fuel rods melt, the agency said.

(2011/04/19-00:43)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Good evening, morning, afternoon, where ever you may find yourself. It would seem as though the armor is beginning to show some chinks:

Concerns have been raised by Japanese media about close ties between Tepco, which has been accused of safety breaches and cover-ups in the past, and other ex-bureaucrats who have taken posts with the company. Mr Ishida, who retired from the agency in August of last year, was hired by Japan's largest power utility firm in January. -- AFP

From an article here

A bit earlier in the same article is this tidbit:

Mr Ishida's career move, although legal, has been criticised as an example of a practice dubbed 'amakudari' or 'descent from heaven' in which retiring officials take well-paid posts at companies they previously supervised.

This is a direct response to the recent policy change that is meant to discourage government officials from taking posts in corporations which they had formerly been responsible for overseeing. I want you to look at the wording there of the phrase that is used to describe a practice which has been so ingrained that it's become a colloquialism.

"Descent from heaven" meaning to say that they feel as though they are gracing our presence merely by deigning to exist within our world. The government believes it is above the people to such a degree that retirement from it is characterized as returning from the celestial realms. Think about that for a bit.

How many examples do we have of arrogance coupled with ignorance that have been displayed throughout the course of this monster (and continually growing) thread?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

More stirrings from Gulliver:

Kazuyoshi Sato, a member of Iwaki city assembly, gave his eye-witness report to the meeting, personally one of his aunts being missing due to the tsunami. He came to Tokyo as a representative of the Fukushima Network for Denuclearization in order to file the denuclearizing demands with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry the next day.

Here is a report from a member of a local government that has been affected directly by this tragedy. Let's take a look at some more of what he has to say:

Iwaki City has a population of 340,000, and one third of the population is presumed to have evacuated voluntarily. In my neighborhood, there are not many houses with electric light on at night. The mass media ran away from the city all together after the explosions and radiation leakage at the Fukushima nuclear plant.

I might be tempted to say half or possibly more have left, but he's there and probably has a bit better grasp that we would.

More

There are 20,000 people at the evacuation sites, and relief goods do not reach those sites. The official countermeasures operations have not corresponded to the actual local realities.

This does not surprise me and is further direct evidence of Tepco's uninspired attempt at sugar coating an unimaginably horrific problem.

Won't anyone please think of the children? (my best Mrs. Lovejoy impression)

Our group has demanded the municipal board of education to introduce radiation meters into all the schools, too. However, the board of eduction has refused our proposal of two-month suspension, and its position on the radiation meters is to leave the matter to the discretion of each schoolmaster/mistress or principal. Usually the board of education decides on anything by itself and does not allow any discretion of each school.

This is a sickening situation. I have five children of my own from 4 to 15 and cannot imagine having to consider that my children would be forced to attend a school which did not know if there were radiation hazards present due to some bureaucratic nitpicking. I think I would be seriously considering the infliction of grievous bodily harm upon someone.

And this just adds a bit more poison to the apple:

The electricity that is generated at the Fukushima nuclear plants is transmitted to the greater metropolitan area, and it is not consumed at all in Fukushima prefecture.

The people who have the worst end of this deal aren't even the ones whom this plant is serving. How much worse could it get? I probably should not ask that...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Kyodo - U.S. anti-radiation team to leave Japan next week after not being called in
Tuesday 19th April, 12:14 PM JST

www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/u-s-marine-anti-radiation-team-to-leave-japan-next-week-after-not-being-called-in

TOKYO —

A 150-member anti-radiation team......ectric Power Co, announced Sunday its schedule to bring the situation under control over a period of six to nine months, the official said.

(...)

So six more months of leaking radiation and a shaky ( at best ) plan and it's 'happy ending' , wait did I say happy ending I meant hand job.

Now on a finer note
If they are real those reactor and pool temperatures DO not show decline and path to stability ...wow, looks like when It's our turn here in the U.S. we can know what to expect.

and I got a finer crop on the camera as a radiation tool dealio;

I found the ccd square areahere, as it turns out that 1/2.7 weird ass number is a standardized size for ccd which equates to 20.869mmsq or .03234 insq,

Also it would seem that the charge out in that particular ccd is not 'charge up' dependent so the only lengthening of the exposure time may be to weirdness in the charge read-out , but due to special software and hardware that is designed to keep that very thing from happening under normal conditions can be (for now ) disregarded

( the red orange and other color spots are probably the gamma energies passing through the shudder and everything and effecting the read-out , so with a closer analysis of the charge readout for that particular ccd those 'extra' not white pixels could help us determine a better rate to time )

So anyway we now have enough to run the number with a bit more reasonable chance of correct calculation:

45hits in 1/12 the image ( I am too lazy to actually count all of them so ai am using the average )

45*12=540

540 hits * 100 = 54000 hit/s ( to get us up to one second)

now according to our navy doctor we multiply it by ten

540000 hits/s

1in divided by .03234sqin = 30.915 ( to get us up to a full square inch )
so
30.915 * 540000 hits/s = 16,694100 hits per second per square inch

or 16,694,1000 Bq/s/sqin

Now I am not sure how the weighting factor fits with absorption or surface area but I am sure this thread has taught us about that a billion times I just can't find it
, so for the nonce:

The unit gray measures the absorbed dose of radiation (D), absorbed by any material. The unit sievert measures the equivalent dose of radiation (H), supposed to have a damaging effect equivalent to the same dose of gamma rays.

If someone else wants to make a tear at it...
I oddly enough am sleepy and find my brain finally needing sleep

edit on 19-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Indian police kill anti-nuclear protester in rally

Indian police have opened fire on anti-nuclear protesters, killing one person.

Hundreds of people rallied around the construction site of the Jaitapur nuclear power plant in Maharashtra, western India, on Monday.

The state government said police shot their guns because demonstrators went wild and set a police station ablaze.

Residents in the area have intensified their movement. They have held massive gatherings since the accident at Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant.

India aims to increase nuclear power generation from the current 3 percent to 25 percent in 2050. The move is to meet the rising demand for electric power following its economic growth.

The central government is planning to build many plants across the country. But some Indian experts are calling for caution in the wake of the crisis in Japan.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 05:43 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
TEPCO to check if plutonium leaked to seabed

The operator of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says it will examine the seabed off the facility to ensure that no plutonium has leaked into the ocean.

Tokyo Electric Power Company said on Monday it will conduct the inspection as plutonium is heavier than other radioactive materials and could have accumulated on the floor.

Plutonium is a radioactive substance that could cause lung cancer if inhaled.

TEPCO detected earlier small quantities of plutonium in the soil around the plant. But it said the amount is too small to harm human health.

So far, no plutonium has been found in the air and sea water samples from around the plant.

TEPCO senior official Junichi Matsumoto said there is little doubt that plutonium has leaked from the plant during the accident. The soil samples have been found to be contaminated with a small amount of the material.

He said the company will continue with the examination so that residents can feel safe.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
New photos show reactor building interiors

For the first time after the accident at the Fukushima plant, TEPCO has released photos of the inside of the reactor buildings. Remote-controlled robots took the pictures on Sunday and Monday to check the interior of the buildings housing the No.1, No.2 and No.3 reactors.

This photo of the first floor of the No.3 reactor building shows a sheet-like object hanging from the ceiling and what appears to be equipment for moving the control rods. TEPCO says it cannot identify whether there are any pools of water on the floor.

The bright area at the innermost part of the building is an entrance for vehicles to bring in large machinery and materials.

The company says the double-door of the entrance is supposed to be closed and that it cannot determine when and how it opened.

This photo of the first floor of the No.1 reactor building shows the remote-controlled robot and what looks like concrete rubble on the floor.

The utility says a part of what appears to be a switchboard is also shown in the photo. It says the floor of the No.1 reactor building was dry.

And in this picture of the first floor of the No.2 reactor building, the robot's camera lens, pointed toward the reactor, captured a large-diameter vertical pipe.

The company says the robot was not able to move further inside as its lens became clouded in the high humidity of up to 99 percent. But it says it found no pools of water on the floor.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 14:50 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Just got back on so I don't have the photos yet... Now to catch up the thread

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

One more, from Indian press

---

Jaitapur N-plant protest turns violent, 1 dead in firing
HT Correspondent
Mumbai, April 19, 2011

First Published: 01:20 IST(19/4/2011)
Last Updated: 01:24 IST(19/4/2011)

www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/mumbai/Jaitapur-N-plant-protest-turns-violent-1-dead-in-firing/Article1-686937.aspx

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Transfer begins of highly contaminated water

The operator of the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has begun transferring highly radioactive water from the No.2 reactor to a waste processing facility.

Ahead of the operation, Tokyo Electric Power Company, known as TEPCO, sealed cracks in the walls of the facility and ensured that other measures were in place to prevent contaminated water from leaking.

After the government's nuclear safety agency checked procedures and safety measures, TEPCO began the operation on Tuesday morning.

About 25,000 tons of highly contaminated water has accumulated in the basement of the turbine building and a tunnel connected to the No.2 reactor. The water must be moved quickly, as it could escape into the ocean.

TEPCO says it plans to move about 480 tons of the water a day and it will take about 26 days to move about 10,000 tons to the waste facility near the No.4 reactor.

The utility firm estimates that about 67,500 tons of radioactive water has accumulated at the plant.

With more water being pumped into the reactors to restore the cooling system, the quantity is expected to rise and further hamper operations to bring the crisis under control.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:48 +0900 (JST)

So 25,000 tons in #2 67,000 tons in the plant... they dumped 10,000 tons into the sea from the waste facility to make room for the 10,000 tons that they will now pump into the waste facility and that will take 29 days

Progress

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
O.k one last thin wafer mint:

I believe the first two numbers are pressure reading for the RPV ( core - RP-A and RP-B/C) and the next two I think are secondary containment and the last two temps

So if the site these came from is for real some how it totally proves #3 has had no pressure (blown containment since the explosion) since the 13 of march

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
TEPCO to check if plutonium leaked to seabed

The operator of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says it will examine the seabed off the facility to ensure that no plutonium has leaked into the ocean.

Tokyo Electric Power Company said on Monday it will conduct the inspection as plutonium is heavier than other radioactive materials and could have accumulated on the floor.

Plutonium is a radioactive substance that could cause lung cancer if inhaled.

TEPCO detected earlier small quantities of plutonium in the soil around the plant. But it said the amount is too small to harm human health.

So far, no plutonium has been found in the air and sea water samples from around the plant.

TEPCO senior official Junichi Matsumoto said there is little doubt that plutonium has leaked from the plant during the accident. The soil samples have been found to be contaminated with a small amount of the material.

He said the company will continue with the examination so that residents can feel safe.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

In the interest of personal responsibility, efficiency and cost-cutting, I believe we should learn from our Japanese friends and apply our new-found understanding to the courts.
Why should we do criminals the favour of paying for a judge to try them? After all, who knows more about the crime, some random judge or the perp who committed it?
From now on, we should demand that criminals try themselves!

I can guarantee this will immensely shorten trial times and sharply decrease the number of people crowding out our prison system.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
o.k just one more but this is too hot ...
If that stuff is a forgery it looks damn good . it appear a Tepco has had no press in any of those reactors since day one ( no containment ) , and they damn well knew it..

Three open cores for over a month, remember how things kind of dried up about the 23 well look what #2 was doing about then :

on the 23rd temps exceed 400 (max out the sensor ) , melt down huh?

the other bit shows one popping the first day

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Latest word from Arne...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Also, this post was from the same data source a while back. Seems nitrogen injection was useless?

Previous ATS post

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
good ol redneck, boggles me how he got that

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Based on the complex chemistry involved I believe the nitrogen was partially a feign, the partial reason was to mitigate hydrogen but if they got ammonia in there, it is the best heat transfere element on the planet, AND it improves uranium oxides ability to become molten , so they were mostly like trying to force the core to melt into the ground (in other words desperate craziness)

On another note Arnie just hit Tepco a crippling blow: it's either Chernobyl ( with the roof on) or #4 pool having gone critical , haha, go arnie . Oh yeah and proof positive for 2 being in melt /open condition , what that sound , uh-oh Tepco's cryin
edit on 19-4-2011 by Silverlok because: stupid 3 am , where did that extra hour go

IS it just me or did they not go all the way back the the 11th in the beginning?

My apologies to both you and the redneck for not being careful with that information first time around

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Agence France Presse - Don't stigmatise nuclear evacuees, says Japan govt
2011-04-19 17:10

www.mysinchew.com/node/56409

TOKYO, April 19, 2011 (AFP) - The Japanese government on Tuesday urged local authorities, businesses and citizens not to discriminate against evacuees from the area around the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.

The call came after some evacuation centres demanded radiation-free certificates from people who lived near the plant, and following reports that hotels have turned them away and their children have been bullied.

"I cannot stress enough how regrettable it is that some heartless people have acted like that," said Koichiro Genba, a state minister for national policy, reacting to the instances of discrimination.

(...)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Another vague information release posing more questions than answers?

Fukushima plant not to have meltdown if cooling continues: Edano

''Compared with before, should I say stabilizing, or it can be said at least that we have been able to do cooling to a certain degree. If we can continue this cooling, such a thing is unlikely,'' Edano said at a news conference, when asked about the possibility of a total meltdown of the plant.

Kyodo

"Total meltdown of the plant" ? - Is anyone really expecting the whole plant to melt down to a giant blob? Not even Chernobyl did that - in fact, despite the problems at reactor four, Chernobyl kept operating reactor three for years following the incident.

"Cooling to a certain degree"? - Are we talking a little or a lot here?

"If we can continue" - Did they intend to use of "if" instead of "when"? "If" suggests an amount of doubt in the ability to continue.

"Unlikely" - But not impossible? A lot of "unlikely" things seem to keep happening at Fukushima, despite these reassurances.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Associated Press - Hawaii officials: No risk from trace radiation

thegardenisland.com/news/state-and-regional/article_9e3137fd-8b9c-51e5-98b8-b1a0bdd40313.html

HONOLULU (AP) — Tiny amounts of radiation detected in Hawaii milk and rainwater don't pose a public health threat, state health officials told senators Monday.

Radiation traveled through the air to Hawaii following explosions at three nuclear reactors in Japan last month, but it falls far short of dangerous dosage levels, even after extended exposure, members of the Department of Health said.

"The levels we're seeing are very low. There's no public health risk to the drinking water and to the milk," said Lynn Nakasone, administrator for the department's Environmental Health Services Division.

The department reported last week it found 18 picocuries per liter of iodine-131 in Big Island milk, significantly below the 4,700 picocuries per liter at which the U.S. Food and Drug Administration would take steps to safeguard the public, such as removing milk from store shelves. Rainwater tested in Hawaii had two picocuries per liter.

(...)

new topics

<< 743  744  745    747  748  749 >>

join