It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 74.htm
<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
found this on Toronto Star
www.thestar.com...

At 5,000 millirem to 10,000 millirem, lab tests can pick up changes in blood chemistry, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission reports.

Nausea starts after 50,000 millirem, hemorrhaging at 100,000 millirem. At 500,000 millirem, half of the people exposed will die within 30 days. At 2 million millirem, a person can die within days or even hours.

So far, one employee at a nuclear plant in Japan has been reported to have had an exposure of 10,000 millirem, not enough to produce obvious symptoms.

The annual dose limit for workers at nuclear plants in North America is 5,000 millirem.

Here is your link: www.thestar.com...

you'll have to scroll to the very end of the article.

Thanks

Vader

edit on Mon Mar 14 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

This is like the "Perfect Storm" of disasters; all the poor Japanese need now is a damned comet strike or an ebola outbreak.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I am sorry if this has been answered, but I have a question.

I have been trying to find at what temperature the fuel rods will start to melt. I have been looking everywhere and I cannot seem to find an accurate temperature at which the fuel rods will begin to meltdown. Does anybody have this info handy.?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Work resumes to inject seawater into troubled reactor unit #japan #tsunami #fukushima

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
lh6.googleusercontent.com...

Redneck, this is an overhead picture of the Fukushima Plant post apocalypse. I believe we are seeing the Number #1 Reactor here, but don't quote me on that. What do make of the white plume?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

I think redneck said 3000 C is the melting point, but it's a long thread and I could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
just heard on bbc that the wind direction is about to change and send
anything in the air towards tokyo not good source bbc audio

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Click back one page, towards the top.

TheRedneck gives all the temperatures.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AstraCat
RSOE EDIS posted a few information updates. Like a nice overview of the latest events -

Situation Update No. 25
On 14.03.2011 at 16:24 GMT+2

Technicians are battling to stabilise a third reactor at a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear plant, which has been rocked by a second blast in three days. The fuel rods inside reactor 2 at the Fukushima Daiichi plant have been fully exposed on two separate occasions, raising fears of a meltdown. Seawater is being pumped into reactor to try to stop the rods overheating. A cooling system breakdown preceded explosions at the plant's reactor 3 on Monday and reactor 1 on Saturday.

Shortly after the blast, Tepco warned that it had lost the ability to cool Fukushima Daiichi's reactor 2. Hours later, the company revealed that the fuel rods inside had been exposed fully at one point, reportedly for about two-and-a-half hours. It said a fire pump that had been used to pump seawater into the reactor had run out of fuel. The company is now trying to inject sea water into the reactor to cover the fuel rods, cool them down and prevent another explosion. Initially, water levels continued to fall despite the efforts, as only one of the five fire pumps was working, officials said. The other four were believed to have been damaged by the blast at reactor 3.By Monday evening, the water level inside the reactor had risen to 2m. But later, Tepco officials said the fuel rods had again been fully exposed. Air pressure inside reactor 2 rose suddenly when the air flow gauge was accidentally turned off. That blocked the flow of water into the reactor, leading to the water level dropping and the rods being exposed at about 2300 local time (1400 GMT). "We are not optimistic but I think we can inject water once we can reopen the valve and lower the air pressure," a Tepco official told reporters. Exposure for too long a period of time can damage the fuel rods and raise the risk of overheating and possible meltdown.
Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said workers were also battling rising pressure within the reactor. They have opened vents in the containment vessel, which could release small amounts of radiation. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said there were signs that the fuel rods were melting in all three reactors at Fukushima Daiichi. "Although we cannot directly check it, it's highly likely happening," he told reporters.

Emphasis added.

Thanks so much for this report. There are very dangerous mistakes being made in what I have no doubt is a very confusing situation - I highlighted just a few from your post. So essentially there is a fire hose between where we are now and a full melt down - and that's if they can reopen the valve - which they are not optimistic about.

Very disturbing report.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I share your optimism about them winning the battle, but this is not simply latent heat. There have now been three meltdowns, and even a minor meltdown decreases the efficiency of the control rods; a significant one makes the control rods basically useless.

We are looking at three controlled meltdowns, not three units stabilizing.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by JohnySeagull

The fuel rods (uranium anyway) melt at 1132 degrees C.Source
The zirconium cladding over the fuel melts at 1852 degrees C.Source

They have already seen those temperatures in the core. The authorities have admitted to partial meltdown.

edit on 14-3-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

I answered my own question if this info is correct. I searched everywhere on google and found different reactor temperatures but no true melting points.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The fuel rods melt at about 3000°C

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
***ATTENTION***

The staff have noticed that there has been an increase in posts, specifically updates about the events in Japan that are going un-sourced.

It is not ok to copy/paste from breaking news, twitter or any other source without providing a link to that source.

Please review the following links:

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Terms & Conditions of Use – Please Review This Link.

Moving forward any posts that are proven to come from an outside source and do not have have the appropriate links will be immediately removed.

Thank You.

~Keeper
ATS Moderator

reposted for visibility

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
WTF is this???

(Reuters) - The risk of a major radiation leak in Japan is subsiding as stricken nuclear reactors cool, but there will be major clean-up costs and three reactors will probably be written off, experts said on Monday.

How are they reporting that they're cooling? Exactly WHICH reactors are cooling? This is a total lie!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
radiation levels have doubled at the front gate of the plant source cnn
audio

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Just so no one thinks we're the only ones freaking out a little bit about this:

1844: Mikan in Tokyo writes: "There is a growing sense that the Japanese government is not telling us the true story. On one end, there is the Japanese media that plays down the nuclear drama and focuses on human drama, and at the other, the foreign media is up-playing the nuclear disaster. In my company I heard at least half the essential staff is being sent to Hong Kong, Singapore or even Sydney. I am preparing to leave Tokyo and/or Japan. So are many of my friends. There is a sense of deserting Tokyo as soon as possible."

BBC

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Thank you! I was wishing I could see a blow-up of that shot!

Those plumes are steam. Now, that could possibly be from a pressure crack like I mentioned earlier, but it could also be from damaged water lines elsewhere in the plant, fire protection lines for instance. At this time I am gonna say it's not from the reactor itself.

Judging from the arrangement of the buildings, it appears the reactors are housed underneath the exploded area in both Units 1 and 3. That's good news, because it means the concrete floors protected them from the hydrogen explosions. I cannot see the tops of the reactors at all, so they are probably farther underneath the building. Based on that picture, I would say there is a good chance that the reports are accurate and the reactors are still intact.

That was a major explosion on #3, though... sheesh, had me seriously worried for a while last night.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The radioactive threat is serious. This is not fear mongering. If the US military is stopping all aid missions because of the radiation then you know it's for real and dangerous. They would not stop if it was just low level exposure.

US military breaks off Japan aid mission amid radioactivity fears

Tokyo - A US aircraft carrier has abandoned its assistance mission to Japan in the aftermath of last week's quake due to concerns over radiation leaks from damaged power plants, Kyodo News reported Monday.

An earlier report in US media said the USS Ronald Reagan had already sailed through a patch of radioactivity apparently released from the quake-stricken Fukushima power plants, around 250 kilometres north-east of Tokyo.

www.monstersandcritics.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

www.ryocentral.info...

What do you think about this redneck...I haven't seen this overhead yet it seems to show the present damage...and that looks like your white smoke/steam steadily pouring out.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
two seperate times today rods were not cooled and rods were dry
they are not able to cool them now , picture them as a car radiator
if you have no water in your radiator what happens source cnn audio.

top topics

<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join