It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 728.htm
<< 725  726  727    729  730  731 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Keep us updated please. Stay safe.

Yeah TrueAmerican has a thread on it... weird things... its in an area that has no known faults, but close to Long Valley Caldera...

Probably just the military digging a new bunker

edit on 16-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tworide

Originally posted by makeitso
reply to post by imlite

Wow. Just wow.

The videos make it clear just how decimated those buildings are.

Why is steam coming out of the center of number 4? I thought the reactor was empty?

The videos and still shots are from Tepco's website

edit on 4/16/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

Those vids are from the T-Hawk ROV. In vid #3, it's reactor #3 that has condensation clouds. At ~1:00 shows the top of reactor #1. Unfortunately hey didn't show any of the Poolium AKA Fubarium Falls, you know that they've looked at those for sure!

edit on 16-4-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

Yep and they failed to show the other potential spot on the lower section of the east side of the south east corner of #4, also in the third video you can clearly see the flying bridge used to load the rods has fallen from it's earlier location and is now laying in the support building closer to the ground.

So we have an important question ... why is the cool little drone thing not taking systematic analysis of each side of every building in a scan and pan cover everything and move to the next one way ? the Tepco site suddenly has TONS of photos and crap, but another interesting thing comes to mind why now? and why has the drone SUDDENLY acquired much better imaging capabilities?

So on my growing wish list of things from tepco I want to see the fubarium falls area , and the lower east side of the south east corner of #4 , also they could fly that thing into the northern side of #3 and we could see the state of the core ( which they claim still has pressure or rods right? ) . I'd like to see these things before they get some hapless lunk to crack that poolium off packed into a blue crate and dropped into the sea ( probably with the poor fellows body). I would imagine that by now they have smuggled the caps out of the turbine building .

Now I e-maiedl a camera expert about the actual time for the lens speed but being outside it is probably 1/1000 or 1/2000 of a second which is scary because in just this one section :

I count 45 gamma strikes ( the orange circles are probably gamma strikes but I am not 100% on those so they are merely circled for your consideration ) which at 1/1000 of a second and given the section of photo relative to the size of the ccd ( 1/12 th) then that equates to 13,500,000 hits per second on one square inch
Now those are back of the napkin calculations but even at 1/10 that that is one hell of a lot of exposure
edit on 16-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
NHK reporter says people are anxious to know when TEPO will have this under control and want to know when they can go home

Holy cow, they STILL don't get it. They can NEVER go home. Hasn't anyone told them that yet? Do they not have the internet in Japan? Isn't this common knowledge, or at least information available to people with a minimum of research?

People still think they can go home. The zone around those plants will be uninhabitable for 20 - 30 years, maybe a hundred.

What is wrong with the government and TEPCO? Why don't they just tell these people the truth, they can never go home, and get on with the task of permanent relocation. Are they really that clueless?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Increase in iodine, which has an eight-day half-life, could signal a possible new leak or could it mean an increase in the fission taking place in the ruined reactors?

Hidehiko Nishiyama of the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said the level of radioactive iodine-131 spiked to 6,500 times the legal limit, up from 1,100 times over the limit the day before. Levels of cesium-134 and cesium-137 rose nearly fourfold.
LINK

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

As the TEPCO comedy tragedy continues...

They keep saying that they don't know where the leak is coming from...

then they show THIS
with water pouring out of the torus?

Looks to me like they sure as heck DO know where the leak is from

And this plan makes ZERO mention of the spent fuel pools
edit on 16-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

I think we can count this as a hit , yesterday we talk about the Torus leaking today they are showing it leaking, it means that they do and have known and have as we have been guessing needed to use the ocean to cool the meltdown stuff in the 'basements' . I'll put a dime against a doughnut that the 'filter' is for radionuclides .This also means that they are going to have near term problem ( as we surmised earlier in this thread ) with heat and SOARING RADIATION LEVELS

I wonder when we get to find out about the heat exchanger leaking too , and of course spent fuel pools multiple problems . You know those drone video clearly show them trying to comfort someone about all that fuel that was in the pool.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

These tweets by someone in Japan show the frustration with the Japanese government's handling of the crisis:

twitter.com...

# The Fukushima nuclear accident processing method is a top secret of Japanese Government. less than a minute ago via web #

Japanese Government doesn't explain what work you do on the site of the nuclear accident in the fear of the criticism to the method. 2 minutes ago via web #

Japanese Government says while always investigating. Moreover, it doesn't explain the processing situation of the nuclear accident in detail 8 minutes ago via web #

Japanese Government is worrying about the people. It is always announced, "It is safe". It doesn't explain a concrete reason for the people. 13 minutes ago via web #

It is mysterious. Overseas media know the truth of the Fukushima nuclear accident more than Japanese citizen. 18 minutes ago via web #

福島原発事故は放射線を日々出し続けている。間違いない。状況は急激に悪化しないだけで、良くなっていな 。間違いない。 25 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I just thought of a new word. I had originally proposed something similar as an alternate name for Poolium Falls (Fuku-poo), but now I have a better idea.

Fukuku: TEPCO equivalent of seppuku: TEPCO executives realize they have dishonored their country and throw themselves into what's left of the #3 RPV or one of the spent fuel pools.

I also have a new proposal for the scale on nuclear accidents:

0 – Deviation (no safety significance)
1 – Anomaly
2 – Incident
3 – Serious incident
4 – Accident with local consequences
5 – Accident with wider consequences
6 – Serious accident
7 – Major accident
8 – You're Fooked

edit on 16-4-2011 by OuttaHere because: spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
Do they not have the internet in Japan?

On that note... NHK showed a story of one family of refugees... When the NHK interviewed them they showed the family where there home usewd to be... this was the first time they had seen what was left of their home and factory... nothing.

Don't forget the evacuees left with nothing and are living in make shift shelters. They truly are isolated

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Do they not have the internet in Japan?

Don't forget the evacuees left with nothing and are living in make shift shelters. They truly are isolated

You are right, I thought about that after I posted. Oops.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

TEPCO to use robots to examine reactor building conditions

The inspection by remotely operated robots at the No. 3 reactor will be carried out to gauge whether it is safe to allow workers to enter the building and determine what work will be required to bring the crippled reactor under control.
LINK

I fear TEPCO is doing to little to late...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlaskanDad

The inspection by remotely operated robots at the No. 3 reactor will be carried out to gauge whether it is safe to allow workers to enter the building and determine what work will be required to bring the crippled reactor under control.
LINK

The utility, known as TEPCO, will consider examining the Nos. 1 and 2 reactors in the same manner, using two U.S.-made robots equipped with moveable arms.

In other words NO ONE has been in any of the three buildings if they are just now sending in robots to see if it is safe to send in workers

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

In other words NO ONE has been in any of the three buildings if they are just now sending in robots to see if it is safe to send in workers

The four buildings ...

Correct. I thought everyone knew that.

Reactor buildings 1,2,3,4 have been inaccessible since they blew. No one goes in them, much to dangerous and to high a rad level (+1 Sv/hr). They have entered the turbine buildings but they seem to be increasing their rad levels as well. #2 seems to be getting worse.faster.

Robots may be the only option for the turbine buildings as well by the end of the year. Admittedly that is worst case.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus
Robots may be the only option for the turbine buildings as well by the end of the year. Admittedly that is worst case.

Can they swim?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlaskanDad

LINK

The utility, known as TEPCO, will consider examining the Nos. 1 and 2 reactors in the same manner, using two U.S.-made robots equipped with moveable arms.

No, in other words NO ONE has come out of any of the three buildings again.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
I'll put a dime against a doughnut that the 'filter' is for radionuclides .This also means that they are going to have near term problem ( as we surmised earlier in this thread ) with heat and SOARING RADIATION LEVELS

Yup...

To best deal with the present circumstances, TEPCO plans to first pump contaminated wastewater outside the turbine buildings where it can be more safely cooled and filtered. Radioactive substances and salt are removed and a continuous supply of treated water is circulated to gradually cool down the reactors.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

So what ever happened to that big floating sport barge anyway? They just forgot about it?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I just thought of a new word. I had originally proposed something similar as an alternate name for Poolium Falls (Fuku-poo), but now I have a better idea.

Fukuku: TEPCO equivalent of seppuku: TEPCO executives realize they have dishonored their country and throw themselves into what's left of the #3 RPV or one of the spent fuel pools.

I also have a new proposal for the scale on nuclear accidents:

0 – Deviation (no safety significance)
1 – Anomaly
2 – Incident
3 – Serious incident
4 – Accident with local consequences
5 – Accident with wider consequences
6 – Serious accident
7 – Major accident
8 – You're Fooked

edit on 16-4-2011 by OuttaHere because: spelling

Shouldn't number 8 be "You're Fuku'd"?

And Fukuku for these guys would be great, but they don't have the courage to do it. The Code of Bushido is almost dead (though I did train with a clan of "ninjas" there that actually followed it pretty well. The martial art was Budo Taijutsu, under Grandmaster Hatsumi. He, and the person I trained under (prior special forces guy) were BAD!).

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
That pesky INTAKE port again...

Radioactivity rises again in sea near No.2 reactor

The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says levels of radioactive substances in seawater have risen again near the water intake of its No.2 reactor.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company, known as TEPCO, says it detected 260 becquerels of iodine-131 per cubic centimeter in samples taken on Friday. That is 6,500 times the legal limit.

In the same area, levels of iodine-131 had been declining since April 2nd when 7.5 million times the limit was detected. On Thursday, the level was 1,100 times the safety limit.

TEPCO says the level of radioactive cesium-137 was also up in the same area. It detected 130 becquerels per cubic centimeter, 1,400 times the legal limit.
The firm also says that on Friday, radioactive iodine measured 30 kilometers east of the facility rose to 4 times the legal limit.

TEPCO has installed underwater barriers and metal boards near the intake to prevent contaminated water from leaking into the sea.

The power company says no new sources of leakage have been found.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 23:55 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
TEPCO Press release NOW

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

Shouldn't number 8 be "You're Fuku'd"?

I was trying to avoid violating the T&C too much, hence the awkward spelling.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

KYODO

* BREAKING NEWS: Reactors to be stabilized in around 6-9 months: TEPCO (15:02)

* NEWS ADVISORY: Japan to strive to contain nuke crisis, welcomes U.S. aid: FM Matsumoto (15:01)

* NEWS ADVISORY: U.S. to provide every possible support for nuke crisis: Clinton (14:56)

* NEWS ADVISORY: Clinton pledges firm U.S. disaster relief for Japan (14:55)
KYODO

new topics

top topics

<< 725  726  727    729  730  731 >>

join