It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 726.htm
<< 723  724  725    727  728  729 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Slow news day i guess. Zeolite sandbags on the way.

--

Fukushima seawater radioactivity rises inside containment fence

TOKYO, April 16, Kyodo

The level of radioactive substances in seawater increased sharply overnight inside a containment fence installed near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Saturday.

The utility said the rise suggested that the fence is helping to curb the spread of contaminated water, but the government's Nuclear Industrial and Safety Agency remained cautious, citing the possibility that radioactive water could still be seeping from the complex.

The company said the level of radioactive iodine rose Saturday morning to 260 becquerels per cubic centimeter in seawater inside the fence near an intake leading to the No. 2 reactor.

The figure, 6,500 times the legal limit, was around six times the 42 becquerels detected the previous day, the company said, adding the reading of radioactive cesium had also jumped by four times.

TEPCO also said it plans on Sunday or later to throw sandbags containing zeolite, a mineral that absorbs radioactive materials, into the sea near intakes leading to the Nos. 1, 2 and 3 reactors to reduce the levels of contamination.

Meanwhile, the utility is considering installing circulating water cooling systems for reactors and spent fuel storage pools outside the reactor buildings at the plant in a bid to bring it under control, sources familiar with the matter said.

The new systems would cool nuclear fuel inside the reactors and spent fuel pools in a stable manner. They would involve heat exchangers and circulation pumps to drain reactor coolant water from the containment buildings, cooling it with seawater and then sending it back to the reactors, the sources said.

TEPCO appears to have already placed orders for dozens of gasketed plate heat exchangers -- each measuring 3 meters high, 1 meter wide and 2 meters long -- for such systems, the sources said.

The existing circulating water cooling systems at the plant were crippled by the March 11 earthquake and ensuing tsunami.

The utility has been pumping water into reactors and storage pools in a desperate bid to cool them. But the move has created large puddles of water contaminated with high levels of radiation inside the reactor containment and turbine buildings, as fuel rods in the reactors and storage pools have been partially damaged.

The presence of the large puddles in the buildings has blocked restoration work at the plant.

TEPCO has therefore determined that it is necessary to cool the reactors and storage pools with new circulating water cooling systems to be installed outside the containment buildings, they said.

It is impossible to sufficiently cool the reactors and storage pools simply by pumping water into them without circulating water through the reactors and pools. The pumping operation has also had the negative side effect of raising the water levels of the radiation-contaminated puddles.

It would be necessary to secure five or six heat exchangers to cool one reactor, but the cooling efficiency of the gasketed plate heat exchangers is twice that of conventional heat exchangers for nuclear plants, according to the sources.

Radiation levels inside the containment buildings remain high. TEPCO plans to utilize the pipes that it has been using to pump water into the reactors in the new circulating water cooling loops, so it can minimize the need for work inside the dangerous buildings.

---

english.kyodonews.jp

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Thanks

I believe the video has been taken from a camera attached to the putzmeister crane probably just before they tested the spent fuel pond. If you notice it cuts off when getting interesting.

edit on 16/4/11 by imlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
New Video From Fukushima Shows Containment Vessel Dome Amid Debris

This article contains a video that claims to show intact containment dome for reactor 4. Footage taken by unmanned micro helicopter on Friday.

blogs.forbes.com...

What the article doesn't mention is that the containment dome is not on the reactor pressure vessel; unit 4 was already shutdown and undergoing inspection prior to re-loading the RPV when the quake hit; so, yeah, the dome is intact; the freshly removed "hot" spent rods and the new rods waiting to be installed sitting in the fuel pool are the issue...

seeker

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Latest video from putzmeister or drone in 3 parts including the interesting part from the previous video (which isn't as interesting as I thought it would be!)

The most detailed reactor is number 4 but it does show the other reactors (although I note reactor 3 only has a few second on camera?)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Pumping tons and tons and tons of water in daily..

has to go somewhere..

why can TEPCO not tell us where that water is going?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Sea contamination levels at 30km as of April 15.

Mostly surface but increasing:

Sea Contamination PDF

link   

Originally posted by imlite
reply to post by Maluhia

Thanks

I believe the video has been taken from a camera attached to the putzmeister crane probably just before they tested the spent fuel pond. If you notice it cuts off when getting interesting.

edit on 16/4/11 by imlite because: (no reason given)

Uploaded by OshaDavidson on Apr 16, 2011 The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, Reactor 4, shot on April 15 from an unmanned T-Hawk micro-helicopter. Near the end of the video, the bright yellow dome of the steel containment vessel surrounding the reactor is visible. The steel containment vessel is 60-feet high and 16-feet wide and is between four and eight inches thick.

link   
reply to post by imlite

Wow. Just wow.

The videos make it clear just how decimated those buildings are.

Why is steam coming out of the center of number 4? I thought the reactor was empty?

The videos and still shots are from Tepco's website

edit on 4/16/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by imlite

Out of sight, out of mind. TY for posting video updates. They are much needed if only for the simple reminder of this ongoing tragedy.

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
reply to post by imlite

Wow. Just wow.

Why is steam coming out of the center of number 4? I thought the reactor was empty?

Friend, when the RPV is open, it is flooded with water that is connected directly to the spent fuel pool; therefore, if the water in the pool is not circulating and is boiling...

plus there is the possibility that the core was in the process of being re-loaded when the feces hit the air movement device; if so, then those rods already in place are being affected also...

seeker

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

All the fuel from #4 reactor vessel was removed and stored in the spent fuel pool. The steam is coming from the spent fuel pool

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hi.
In the video where we see the containment vessel amid the debris, we should take note that the bolts going around it; a good number of them are not fastened tightly. To me this speaks of at least two possible scenarios.

1-The dome lid is removed and placed wherever they put it when they change fuel rods, or

2-That's where it is resting after the hydrogen explosion.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Watch all three vids closely; you can see not only the containment dome of #4, but also steam coming from the Spent fuel pool and see the opening to the RPV; also notice that in the overhead shot of #3 you can see the whole blasted thru the containment amongst the rubble, also a glimpse of what might be left of the fuel pool in #3...

seeker

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Three of the four buildings are in shreds. I've been reading since about page 400 but can't recall if we have official confirmation as to how many of them actually blew up due to a hydrogen explosion. Two? What is the official vs unofficial explanation of the third?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tworide

Uploaded by OshaDavidson on Apr 16, 2011 The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, Reactor 4, shot on April 15 from an unmanned T-Hawk micro-helicopter. Near the end of the video, the bright yellow dome of the steel containment vessel surrounding the reactor is visible. The steel containment vessel is 60-feet high and 16-feet wide and is between four and eight inches thick.

That statement comes across as an attempt to convince the less informed that everything's ok. . It's already been explained the yellow dome had been removed from the containment vessel before the tsunami hit. According to TEPCO the reactor was empty at the time. (Not the spent fuel pool, it contained ~40 years worth of old (plutonium containing) fuel, a reactor-load of newly-pooled old assemblies, and presumably extra new assemblies also.)

Now if they could show us the yellow dome of reactor 3 ...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by the seeker_713g

You're right - I had forgotten that about number 4. Since this is the reactor about which so little has been mentioned officially - I thought ok, finally, they are showing that it is intact. I fell right into their trap!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

It would be very interesting to see that yellow dome from #3; as was posted earlier, IMO it was part of what we saw screaming skyward in the video of #3 popping it's cookies, just as I have the suspicion that the hole in the roof of the turbine building was caused by the concrete cap plug; perhaps they( Tepco) will use the T-Hawk to give us an inside look at what came down through the roof...

seeker

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
reply to post by imlite

Wow. Just wow.

Those vids are from the T-Hawk ROV. In vid #3, it's reactor #3 that has condensation clouds. At ~1:00 shows the top of reactor #1. Unfortunately hey didn't show any of the Poolium AKA Fubarium Falls, you know that they've looked at those for sure!

edit on 16-4-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by the seeker_713g

That'd be the day.

TEPCO will only give out damaging information if they're sure it's already public knowledge or if they have not realised the implications themselves.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by someoneinnyc
Three of the four buildings are in shreds. I've been reading since about page 400 but can't recall if we have official confirmation as to how many of them actually blew up due to a hydrogen explosion. Two? What is the official vs unofficial explanation of the third?

Officially, from Ineptco, #1 was a hydrogen explosion that also damaged building #2; there was a hydrogen explosion at #4, and supposedly at #3; but the vid clearly shows 2 distinct detonations at #3, and considering the amount of damage sustained compared to the others,, all I can say is hydrogen my Native American Arse.

seeker

new topics

top topics

<< 723  724  725    727  728  729 >>

join