It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 724.htm
<< 721  722  723    725  726  727 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
the company said, adding it has yet to determine the cause.

Seems they are very good at NEVER being able to determine the cause. Do they not have any engineers on the payroll or is it all "disposable laborers?"

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Maybe the yellow stuff is pollen.

If the trees are being effected by radiation, and this is killing the trees, the trees natural responses to forestall complete species annihilation may be to produce far more pollen than normal. This might allow these trees to get a few more seasons of viable seeds in the ground that might survive.

The "yellow rain" being pollen is STILL not a good thing.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bitbytebit
If I lived in japan I would be wearing a dosimeter as part of standard equipment, thats prudent and not very invasive.

prudent yes, yet you don't have a fire extinguisher handy in your kitchen or smoke detectors...

Now while you use your kitchen fire as an example of how TEPCO is reacting on a larger scale, that comparison is FALSE..

While it may be okay for an average person to not be prepared and get panicky in a kitchen fire and do all the wrong things, it is NOT acceptable for those in charge of a nuclear plant to be so inept.

What do I want TEPCO to do? Simple... what they should have done in the first few days..

ADMIT that they are in over there heads and they need help... when that help would have made a BIG difference and was TURNED AWAY because their arrogance said they could handle it.

They STILL have not admitted they are way over their heads despite daily reports of it getting worse and them not even knowing where the leaks come from, or what caused a battery fire, or this new fire at the other plant

They CANNOT handle this... yet they are in charge and no one is stepping in to say enough is enough. It is obvious to me that they care more about this #2 plant than they do about the future of Japan...

And everyone is missing the fact that the concentration is on #2... the leaks, the barriers on the INTAKE ports ALL efforts are on #2 and just bare mention of the rest...

WHY?

edit on 16-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by arufon
TEPCO has endorsed/allowed/encouraged 200+/- of their employees to DIE for the company.
what else would you call permitting workers to endure high radiation for months on end??

A couple stories BEFORE the Tsunami hit... #3 plant

"I felt things shaking, and then it went crazy," Nishi recalled in an interview. "I was shouting, Stop! Stop!" Then the lights went out, leaving about 200 workers inside the reactor in near-darkness since the structure has no windows.

A small red emergency light started blinking. "Then some kind of white smoke or steam appeared and everyone started choking," Nishi said. "We all covered our mouths and ran for the door." But the door leading outside was locked, shut down automatically during the temblor to contain any leakage. The workers were stuck. "People were shouting 'Get out, get out!'" Nishi said. "Everyone was screaming." Pandemonium reigned for about 10 minutes with the workers shouting and pleading to be allowed out, but supervisory TEPCO employees appealed for calm, saying that each worker must be tested for radiation exposure.

CRESCENDO TEPCO began testing workers but the crescendo grew. Nishi recalled angry shouts from among the workers including expletives from a couple of Canadians. "We were shouting that the reactor structure was going to collapse or that a tsunami might come," Nishi recalled. Radiation exposure was the last thing on their minds. Eventually, TEPCO workers tested about 20 people before giving up and throwing open the doors.

The freed workers sprinted for their cars or to higher ground. Nishi ended up in his car with a co-worker who also lived in Minamisoma, about a half-hour drive away. They made it out of the nuclear plant in time to avoid the killer tsunami but were hardly prepared for the drive home.

us.mobile.reuters.com...

This was transcribed from an NHK report that I had missed days ago

Here is one of those Canadians interviewed on his return to Toronto...

They lost cooling in the core and fuel rods were exposed by 4 feet BEFORE the Tsunami

Canadian Dan Ayotte gives his eyewitness account

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

While it may be okay for an average person to not be prepared and get panicky in a kitchen fire and do all the wrong things, it is NOT acceptable for those in charge of a nuclear plant to be so inept.

Well they are only human too, not perfect .. BUT

They STILL have not admitted they are way over their heads despite daily reports of it getting worse and them not even knowing where the leaks come from, or what caused a battery fire, or this new fire at the other plant

They CANNOT handle this... yet they are in charge and no one is stepping in to say enough is enough. It is obvious to me that they care more about this #2 plant than they do about the future of Japan...

I concede at this point. saving face, stubborness, pride ..whatever this is, you are right its past time for them to admit they need help. I don't think any of us realize how deeply ingrained japanese pride is.

And everyone is missing the fact that the concentration is on #2... the leaks, the barriers on the INTAKE ports ALL efforts are on #2 and just bare mention of the rest...

WHY?

There could be many reasons:
it could be a translation issue where INTAKE is a catch all term
it could be because #1 is more or less under control, and #3 is long since beyond control so focus on #2
it could be because .. well I don't have any other ideas

I know I said I hate speculation, but I am curious if you have any ideas about the whole intake thing.

Oh yeah and when they say they have no idea where the leaks are coming from, Im pretty sure they realize that its water from somewhere and that by pumping in more water, more water leaks .. I mean thats obvious to anyone. What they probably mean is they don't know the particular path of the leak .. like its not running on the ground visible to all. But it does make for a funny post to say 'duh maybe from all the water they are pumping'

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

U.S. offers unmanned chopper to help remove Fukushima spent fuel

The U.S. government has told Japan that it can use a U.S. unmanned cargo transport helicopter to set up cranes to remove spent fuel rods from storage pools at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant, Japanese and U.S. sources close to the matter said Saturday.

The K-MAX helicopter, developed jointly by Lockheed Martin Corp. and KAMAN Aerospace Group of the United States, is being considered to set up the huge cranes.
LINK

Interesting; I watched two cranes reassemble a very large crane (D-MAG) that was moved from Los Angeles to Anacortes Wa., while I was working a shell refinery shutdown.

But assembling cranes with a RC helicopter sounds like quite the show...
edit on 16-4-2011 by AlaskanDad because: grammar

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyinghaggis
JPubb probably have other news items which might be relevant to this thread.

That place is loaded with good reports... Where were YOU a few days ago

Gold mine here... but after over one month of this crisis, the stats released for the 16th... this is all they have done?

Press Release (Apr 16,2011)
Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 11:00 am, April 16)

Unit 1 (Shut down)
-Explosive sound and white smoke were confirmed after the big quake
occurred at 3:36 pm on March 12th. It was assumed to be hydrogen
explosion.
-At approximately 2:30 am on March 23rd, seawater injection to the nuclear
reactor through the feed water system was initiated.
-From 3:37 pm on March 25th, we started injecting freshwater and are now
injecting fresh water by a motor driven pump powered by the off-site
transmission line.
-As it is suspected that hydrogen gas is accumulated inside reactor
containment vessel, we commenced the valve opening operation concerning
injection of nitrogen gas into the reactor container vessel at 10:30 pm
April 6th and commenced injection at 1:31am April 7th.

Unit 2(Shut down)
-At approximately 6:00 am on March 15th, an abnormal noise began emanating
from nearby Pressure Suppression Chamber and the pressure within the
chamber decreased.
-From 10:10 am on March 26th, we started injecting freshwater to the
reactor and are now injecting fresh water by a motor driven pump powered
by the off-site transmission line.
-From 7:35 pm on April 12th, we started transferring the high level
radioactive accumulated water in the trench of the turbine building to
the condenser by an underwater pump. At 5:04pm on April 13th, the
scheduled transfer was completed.

Unit 3(Shut down)
-Explosive sound and white smoke were confirmed at approximately 11:01am
on March 14th. It was assumed to be hydrogen explosion.
-From 6:02 pm on March 25th, we started injecting fresh water to the
reactor and are now injecting fresh water by a motor driven pump powered
by the off-site transmission line.

Unit 4 (outage due to regular inspection)
-At approximately 6:00 am on March 15th, we confirmed the explosive sound
and the sustained damage around the 5th floor rooftop area of the Nuclear
Reactor Building.
-At this moment, we do not consider any reactor coolant leakage inside the
reactor happened.

Unit 5 (outage due to regular inspection)
-Sufficient level of reactor coolant to ensure safety is maintained.
-At 5:00 am on March 19th, we started the Residual Heat Removal System
Pump (C) in order to cool the spent fuel pool.
-At 2:30 pm on March 20th, the reactor achieved reactor cold shutdown. At
around 5:24 pm on March 23rd, when we switched the temporary Residual
Heat Removal System Seawater Pump, it has stopped automatically. At
around 4:14 pm on March 24th we replaced the pump, and restarted cooling
of reactor at around 4:35 pm.
reactor happened.

Unit 6 (outage due to regular inspection)
-Sufficient level of reactor coolant to ensure safety is maintained.
-At 10:14 pm on March 19th, we started the Residual Heat Removal System
Pump (B) of Unit 6 in order to cool the spent fuel pool.
-At 7:27 pm on March 20th, the reactor achieved reactor cold shutdown.
-In relation to the two seawater side pumps of the Residual Heat Removal
System, we switched the power source from temporary to permanent at 3:38
pm and 3:42 pm, Mar 25 respectively.
reactor happened.

www.jpubb.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
TEPCO ignored tsunami warnings for years

About 1,100 years ago, a gigantic earthquake caused tsunami that hit a wide swath of the coast of what is now Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, according to the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, which oversees the Active Fault and Earthquake Research Center. Called the Jogan Tsunami, the waves reached about three kilometers or four kilometers inland in the Sendai Plain and other areas, according to the institute, but TEPCO's new plan made no mention of this historic natural disaster. The expert panel compiled a report the next month, but this also failed to refer to the Jogan Tsunami and concluded it was acceptable to put off making nuclear plants more able to withstand tsunami.

www.yomiuri.co.jp...
edit on 16-4-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
A journalist worth following:

Many members on ATS have learned to cry wolf when we see the teeth come out. TEPCO is showing its teeth. TEPCO is using it's teeth, not to inform or save people, but to bite back and control the media, suppress information, and buy their way to the news headlines they want run. No. I don't trust them. Neither does this journalist and for people like him, many of us are thankful.

Yes, he is taking the hits and losing jobs on controlled media. Just yesterday there were calls to remove a member of the Japanese government who dared say it could be years before people could return to their homes near the plant. Tell the truth and you will be bitten. Fortunately the internet now allows people across the world to talk to one another and share information.

In a nuclear disaster: a company with a vested interested in downplaying the crisis should never be allowed to control the dispersal of information. What we can't see can hurt us.

Next time you see the words none detected - know that this also means they didn't test for a radioactive substance at all.

Takashi Uesugi: The Interview
Time Out meets the journalist who TEPCO love to hate

One of the most influential members of this group of dissenters is Takashi Uesugi, a former New York Times journalist and, in an earlier incarnation, aide to Liberal Democratic Party bigwig Kunio Hatoyama. The author of books including The Collapse of Journalism, Uesugi is a vociferous critic of Japan's 'Kisha Club' system – a network of exclusive press clubs that, he says, nurtures excessively close relationships between reporters and the organisations they are supposed to cover.

Obviously a lot has happened over the past couple of weeks, but what are the main things you've learned?

Basically, something that I knew from the beginning, but has become more blatant yesterday and today [March 27-28], is this terrible situation where the government and TEPCO are suppressing information. To be more specific, I thought it was strange that there was nothing written about plutonium when the data about reactor 3 was given out at the TEPCO press conference on the 27th, so I asked them if it was true that no plutonium had been detected in reactor 3, and for how long it had not been detected. TEPCO answered: 'Plutonium hasn’t been detected.' To confirm what they were saying I asked if perhaps it wasn't that none had been detected, but that they hadn't actually taken any measurements. They were alarmed, and it turned out that it wasn't even that they hadn't taken any measurements, but that they didn't have the instruments to do so in the first place.

That's one example.

TEPCO are such an important advertiser that the television and newspapers are completely silent. Even now, they're running TEPCO commercials on the television, aren’t they? This week, there are also full-page advertisements in the newspaper. Despite the fact that they've caused such a scandal, TEPCO are still putting ads in the newspaper. If they have such enormous sums of money, they should send it to the areas hit by the disaster.

We on ATS, will also continue to call it like we see it. TEPCO is suppressing information and lying.

Link

From his website:

Freelance, online reporting discouraged on nuclear threat

Source

The Japanese government upped the danger rating for the disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station to its highest level, 7, on Tuesday, a month after an earthquake and tsunami devastated the country. It was not yet clear whether the administration or the Tokyo Electric Power Company, which runs the plant, withheld the extent of the risk. But the local media’s habitual allegiance to officials who arrange press conferences and companies that buy advertising makes it hard to tell, and freelancers who are eager to probe deeper say their questions have been suppressed.

Takashi Uesugi, an author and freelancer with an active website and Twitter page, has been asking just that. He told The New Yorker and Time Out Tokyo that the government excluded Internet and foreign media from official press conferences after March 11, effectively avoiding tough questions. His complaint has not been well received in Japan.

“I have been frustrating TEPCO, government and all the Kisha Club media,” Uesugi told CPJ by email. Appearing in his weekly guest slot on the local TBS radio station on March 15, he launched into a strong criticism of the power company. The station asked him not to come back. “I was removed from my slot on the TBS program permanently,” Uesugi wrote.

Why the caution? Japanese journalist Makiko Segawa writes that journalists are hoping to preserve their portion of the $120 million TEPCO lays out annually in media advertisements.

On April 6, she told CPJ by email, the Ministry of General Affairs announced a task force to enforce guidelines for Internet sites deemed to be spreading false rumors. Gossip about the risk increased as public trust in official sources of information declined, international news reports say.

The Telecom Services Association, one of the Japan’s leading internet providers, revealed April 8 that they had complied with some of the task force’s requests, resulting in the removal of prohibited information, such as images of corpses, from the Internet, Segawa wrote. “The media has not covered this story,” she told CPJ.

The people on the ground are the ones the government should be working to protect–not TEPCO’s interests, or its own grip on information./ex]

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by arufon
TEPCO has endorsed/allowed/encouraged 200+/- of their employees to DIE for the company.
what else would you call permitting workers to endure high radiation for months on end??

A couple stories BEFORE the Tsunami hit... #3 plant

"A small red emergency light started blinking. "Then some kind of white smoke or steam appeared and everyone started choking," Nishi said. "We all covered our mouths and ran for the door." But the door leading outside was locked, shut down automatically during the temblor to contain any leakage. The workers were stuck. "People were shouting 'Get out, get out!'" Nishi said. "Everyone was screaming." Pandemonium reigned for about 10 minutes with the workers shouting and pleading to be allowed out, but supervisory TEPCO employees appealed for calm, saying that each worker must be tested for radiation exposure.

To the above: Procedures are created for a reason, to standardize a particular response right? So the doors lock automatically and supervisors immediately start to follow protocol as they should. If they hadn't there would have been consequences (remember at that point no one knew what was going on or how bad it was/would get)

Eventually, TEPCO workers tested about 20 people before giving up and throwing open the doors.

Procedure breaks down (probably because the supervisors themselves started to fear what was coming (either from the crowd or the sea or the plant)) and everyone is allowed to leave.

They lost cooling in the core and fuel rods were exposed by 4 feet BEFORE the Tsunami

Yeah I thought it was already established that the quake broke the plant/reactor before the tsunami hit. I don't know what relevance that has to the overall disaster. I know that tepco is claiming that its the fault of the water flooding the pumps and generators and that it was the tsunami that was the cause, but does it really matter? I consider the quake and tsunami one event anyway.

Is it just one more lie by tepco (for what reason?) or could it be that at the time tepco spokespeople didn't know that there was an issue before the tsunami and havn't corrected the statement since. In the long run does it matter?

I just saw that you quoted arufon first and thats actually what you were pointing out, well to that statement .. every worker at that facility right now is free to leave, Tepco isn't holding a gun on them, they don't have their families hostage. Sure maybe management pleaded with them to stay and work, but they don't have to. I know for a fact that if I worked there and they said you must stay and help for your honor and your countries honor and the honor of the company .. I would say 'nope, im outa here' and leave ..unless everything and everyone I knew and loved was washed away by the tsunami, then what would I have to lose?

.. so there are many reasons the 'fukishima 50/300+' are working there. Tepco forcing them and committing murder is not one of them.
edit on 16-4-2011 by bitbytebit because: formatting issues - maybe better now

edit on 16-4-2011 by bitbytebit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Well they are only human too, not perfect ..

Granted... BUT they should have had experts on staff to handle emergencies, not keep saying a month later they don't know what is happening. Initial shock factor I will grant them...

There could be many reasons:
it could be a translation issue where INTAKE is a catch all term

As you say ... the facts... No translation issue because they showed images clearly dealing with #2 intake like the one below. And the steel plates were being inserted into the intake of that one as well

I know I said I hate speculation, but I am curious if you have any ideas about the whole intake thing.

I don't know... and even Redneck before he vanished was curious about that. The only thing I have that might be... is that they are still pumping seawater into the plants and if that water is 'hot', the radiation from that hot water going IN make things worse.

And my point is that ALL THE WHILE NHK shows us HUGE volumes of water coming out of the plant from both 1-4 exit ports and 5-6 exit ports. TONS of water being pumped in to keep cooling... HAS to be going somehwere

NHK shows radiation levels measured at the EXIT ports

Yet INEPCO is constantly harping on the intakes

And according to that press release I just posted it seems they ARE using the feed water system still

-At approximately 2:30 am on March 23rd, seawater injection to the nuclear reactor through the feed water system was initiated.

www.jpubb.com...

But it does make for a funny post to say 'duh maybe from all the water they are pumping'

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
TEPCO ordered to catch Fish...

Receipt of instruction document from NISA regarding discharge of drained water with concentrations of radioactive materials exceeding discharge standard to the ocean

1. Regarding the impact due to the discharge to the ocean, TEPCO should
conduct detailed evaluation including the impact of ocean currents based
on the actual data of discharged volume and the monitoring results and
submit the evaluation result by May 2nd, 2011.

2. In order to understand impacts in broader areas and on a longer term
basis, TEPCO should increase the number of monitoring points, conduct
monitoring and periodically announce results.

3. TEPCO should catch or collect the fish and shell fish in the
surrounding ocean area of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station,
measure radioactive dose, evaluate impacts and periodically announce
results.

www.jpubb.com...

Seems all the orders from the government sound like 'requests' or 'strong suggestions'... I guess that is their way

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this has been posted previously.

Here's a link to the Taiwan Radiation Level Network in English. Oddly enough the "Taiwan off-shore Island Link" 404's.

Here's a screen grab of the Radiation Network in TW:

Link:

www.trmc.aec.gov.tw...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

The smoke detector is sitting on a shelf somewhere in the house with no battery (ok maybe I am an idiot
)

In the example you gave you equate yourself to TEPCO trying to put out a fire. You admit you should have had a smoke detector and thought of using the fire extinguisher, but believe that because all turned out well the example is sound. In this case all is not turning out well and thousands will be impacted. That kind of negligence by a nuke plant operator is far more concerning.

Using your own logic by way of this example you've admitted TEPCO's idotic and inept failures. Given the vast difference in the scale of the consequences of a nuke reactor accident vs a kitchen fire, would you admit that TEPCO had a responsibility and duty to be more prepared?

Trying to achieve a balanced perspective does not mean dismissing the extremes. Sometimes you have to look for truth in the extreme - and there are plenty of examples in history where the most extreme case, the least desired option, did in fact come true. We are witnesses to the consequences of moderates not listening to the "extreme" case in nuke plant design and engineering.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I'm sure next we'll see smiling TEPCO officials eating fish.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
Could someone help me embed this video please (never done it before)

This is unbelievable

They claim the water level was rising and was going to leak out, so their solution was to dump it instead...

And to all questions they keep saying "we need more time to study this..."

And they are STILL running the show?

The one comment.."we explained everything to the government and that is enough.."
what can one say to that?

Incredible

Thank-you for that my knight in shining armour and fellow ferret lover

I've 'quoted' the whole thing (inc video) because I think it's important that as many people as possible see this ... it shows TEPCO in their true light ... and it is scary !

Woody

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

The proposal was originally conveyed by Adm. Robert Willard, commander of the U.S. Pacific Command, at a meeting in late March with his Japanese counterpart Self-Defense Forces Chief of Staff Ryoichi Oriki, the sources said.

No word on whether or not the offer was accepted...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
people, japan is doomed...

transport.nilu.no...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

You are NOT allowed in my kitchen.

EVER!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

You mean you don't disguise yours as a water elemental?

Or some kind of foam-breathing dragon?

top topics

<< 721  722  723    725  726  727 >>

join