It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 722.htm
<< 719  720  721    723  724  725 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMind
reply to post by Procharmo

So currently the birds are finishing their winter in Northern climes before migrating south to Japan for summer breeding? If they havent already?

What you need to find are the species that wintered in Japan and are currently flying north for breeding....

I'm really not sure. I only picked the Sooty Shearwater because there are 20 million of them and they are not that attractive.

If it turns out the birds to be targeted are Swans or Pelicans then the whole project will stop. The gusto of animal lovers lobbies are driven by how "pretty" a species appears.

Did you know the only person in the UK who can legally eat a Swan is the Queen!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by svetlana84
rbrtj, care to name some plants which would disperse pollen this time of the year ??
I know the "sakura" cherry blossom season is here. those are not yellow to my knowledge though.

Cedar and cypress are the two main culprits.

Or, if you prefer, Chamaecyparis obtusa and Cryptomeria

Here's the current pollen count: weathernews.jp...

And a couple of news articles on pollen season from years gone by to outline how bad it is:
search.japantimes.co.jp...
web-japan.org...
archive.metropolis.co.jp...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by someoneinnyc

Thanks for the link. 600+ species. Too many variables to even contemplate.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by hack2011

Add this to the oster nuclear fuel blender...whir on high...BOOM!

Japan plans to use MOX fuel in 16 to 20 reactors by 2010. A MOX fabrication plant with a capacity of around 130 tons/year is in the planning stages for the Rokkasho-Mura site. Operated by JNFL, it will benefit from an AREVA technology transfer

AREVA is the world leader in the manufacture of MOX fuel with almost 1,570 tons of heavy metal (tML) and mor than 3,000 assemblies produced since the AREVA MELOX plant was put online in 1995. In 2009, approximately 139 tons of MOX were produced worldwide, 134 tML of which at the MELOX plant, representing a market share of around 95% for AREVA.

Surprise surprise...not.

In the United States, in partnership with the Shaw Group and on behalf of the US Department of Energy (DOE), AREVA is pursuing the construction of an MFFF plant (Mixed Fuel Fabrication Facility) to manufacture MOX using plutonium of military origin. This project is a direct result of agreements entered into by the United States and Russia for plutonium recycling, from the dismantling of excess nuclear arms, in the form of fuel for civil usage

The United States and Russia have decided to recycle their military plutonium declared in excess in civilian nuclear reactors.

The technology and expertise of AREVA, on the recycling of plutonium and MOX fuel fabrication were selected by these 2 countries.

In late 2004, AREVA has approved 140 kg of plutonium for the U.S. miliary manufacturing MOX fuel rods. Once implemented by AREVA MOX assemblies 4 are returned to the United States in 2005. After several tests, the MOX fuel are now placed in the Catawba PWR nuclear reactor operated by Duke Power since June 2005.

Given the success of this operation, the U.S. government decided April 11, 2007 the construction of a MOX fabrication plant which AREVA is a partner in the consortium AREVA-DUKE-Stone & Webster. The future plant MFFF (MOX Fuel Fabrication Facility) will be located in South Carolina on the Savannah River site.

Des

And here is their promotional video detailing the fabrication of MOX fuel in the USA.

edit on 16-4-2011 by Procharmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Look on the bright side. For the first time in known history an abundance of firewood exits in Japan.
(Attempt at humor)

On the down side if that wood is radioactive you really don't want to breath (or be anywhere near) that smoke.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
News from the 16th...

Fears of more radioactive water spilling into ocean as waste tank full at nuke plant

However, after the first two days of transfer operations, the tank was filled up to its capacity, forcing TEPCO to discontinue the transfer mission from April 14.

As a result, by the morning of April 15, the level of water in the tunnel had risen back to exceed the level before the transfer operations by 1 centimeter.

link

Basically they are out of options for the next few days on where to pump this continually refilling water until additional tanks arrive. The U.S. is shipping storage containers and robots to look in contaminated areas...but they are not on the ground at Fukushima yet. Seems they are always playing catch up. How much of this could have been avoided had they accepted help of fresh water, radiation scanning robots, experts and firefighters that were all turned away in the first days of this crisis?
edit on 16-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Good Morning Fellow Collective Brain Cells Starting my morning mining for info with this. The People are not happy campers...

apan nuke co. to pay evacuated households $12K each www.usatoday.com...

TOKYO (AP) — The operator of Japan’s tsunami-damaged nuclear plant said Friday it would pay an initial $12,000 for each household forced to evacuate because of leaking radiation — a handout some of the displaced slammed as too little.

Tens of thousands of residents unable to return to their homes near the nuclear plant are bereft of their livelihoods and possessions, unsure of when, if ever, they will be able to return home. Some have traveled hundreds of kilometers (miles) to Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s headquarters in Tokyo to press their demands for compensation.

“We have decided to pay provisional compensation to provide the slightest help for the people (who were affected),” TEPCO President Masataka Shimizu told a news conference.

At the government’s request, the utility will start paying out the roughly 50 billion yen ($600 million) in compensation April 28 to those forced to evacuate, with families getting 1 million yen (about $12,000) and single adults getting 750,000 yen (about $9,000), the government said.

Roughly 48,000 households living within about 19 miles (30 kilometers) of the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant would be eligible for the payments, said Trade Ministry spokesman Hiroaki Wada. More compensation was expected later, he said.

“I’m not satisfied,” said Kazuko Suzuki, a 49-year-old single mother of two teenagers from the town of Futuba, adjacent to the plant. She has lived at a shelter at a high school north of Tokyo for the last month.

And, here's that pesky little loophole that TEPCO can still hide behind, to not compensate fully, the victims of this disaster.

Japanese law calls for the government to pay up to 240 billion yen ($2.9 billion ) in compensation for nuclear accidents, and apart from TEPCO’s provisional payment to evacuees, billions more are likely to be paid to fisherman, farmers and others who have suffered losses.

The law exempts the operator when the accidents are “caused by a grave natural disaster of an exceptional character, or by an insurrection.” However, it would be politically untenable for TEPCO to cite the tsunami as a rationale for not paying damages, given the complex nature of the problems that have unfolded at the plant, and questions over its preparedness, among other issues.

Des

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

The Redneck has contributed some great posts however this thread is so much more than the sum of it's parts. I appreciate the contributions from all of you!

Sadly, on to some not so good news:

Accumulated radiation tops 17,000 microsieverts in Fukushima's Namie

The accumulated radiation level in Namie, 30 kilometers from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, in the three weeks through Friday stood at 17,010 microsieverts, according to a tally released by the science ministry Saturday

The accumulated levels during the period starting March 23 stood at 9,850 microsieverts in Iitate and 495 microsieverts in Minamisoma, both near the plant, it said. The readings compare with the level of 1,000 microsieverts that ordinary people in Japan can expect to be exposed to over one year..

Kyodo

17,000 Microsieverts (uSv) is equal to 17 Millisievert (mSv). Even though this is an accumulated total, this is still very high.

Here's a dose chart for reference: Dose Chart

Mammogram = 3 mSv
Accumulated total in Namie after three weeks = 17 mSv
US nuclear workers maximum yearly dose = 50 mSv

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Very shallow quake, very near the nuclear plant yesterday. Should we be watching for underground explosions as the corium potentially eats its way into the bedrock under the plant? Having the earthquake symbol on top of the nuclear symbol on RSOE causes me to ask this question. Thanks for any addition information.

EDIS Number: EQ-20110415-195240-JP Common Alerting Protocol
Magnitude: 4.7
Mercalli scale: 4
Date-Time [UTC]: 15 April, 2011 at 12:53:03 UTC
Local Date/Time: Friday, April 15, 2011 at 12:53 in the moorning at epicenter
Depth: 2 km (1.24 miles)
Region: Asia
Distances: 12.15 km (7.55 miles) of Kumanomachi,
Source: EMSC

RSOE

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Government considering plan to dismantle TEPCO

A secret plan to dismantle Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), the operator of the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, is circulating within the government.

The proposal, which is associated with a faction of bureaucrats who have long supported liberalization of Japan's power industry, envisages the passing of a special measures law that would put the company under close government supervision before eventually bankrupting it and completely restructuring its remnants.

This might soon like good news... but who's gonna end up paying everything TEPCO have to pay? The Japanese taxpayers.

NISA: Unknown why I-131 level rising again in seawater off #Fukushima-1.
Sure you don't... hint : radioactive water leaking in the ocean...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I was surprised the 5.9 aftershock made Fox News tv this morning. There is a young woman in Japan, who posts her videos on quakes as they happen. I subscribed to her on Utube. I'm posting 2 videos she uploaded yesterday, one on quake, one on how windy it is in Tokyo. I am amazed in the wind one, no people are outside at all, no cars, nothing.
Her videos are very short.
Quake 5.9 www.youtube.com...

Windy Friday www.youtube.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Just woke up and was looking at that pic too

There's gotta be 100 strikes showing or more!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The IAEA official limit for land contamination is 37,000 Bq/m3.

Within an 80km radius of the Fukushima array measurements are between 200,000 Bq/m3 and 900,000 Bq/m3.

Granted these are hotspots and there are some areas that are below the IAEA limit but without everyone having a permanently attached dosimeter and 24/7 monitoring of land contamination every 50 meters or so that land will be uninhabitable.

Northeastern Japan is going to be screwed, blued and tattooed and along with it whatever industries are there- manufacturing, fishing, farming, dairy... the fallout isn't just radioactive it's economic as well. What pisses me off more than anything is that TEPCO continues to downplay the whole thing as if they spilled a glass of milk and nothing more.

IMO allowing TEPCO to continue management of this is like letting a criminal defendant act as the judge in the case.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by Silverlok

Just woke up and was looking at that pic too

There's gotta be 100 strikes showing or more!

Yea, surprised that one slipped into the mix. None of the others show it, that I've noticed.

In case someone is worried that this image is "doctored",
the original appears to come from Tepco's press photos page.

Its the image link titled One of the legible result of inundation height (at point K)

You can view the image exif data with an online tool like this one that I used to see it.

Looks like it was a digital camera, Sony DSC-P32.

edit on 4/16/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by someoneinnyc
reply to post by zorgon

No doubt they are trying to figure out how to splice us so we can survive our toxic environment!

Theres a science fiction short story about the aftermath of nuclear apocolypse. All humans are living underground and scientists have found a way to alter us to survive the new environment. The hero of the story is one of the last people still unmodifed and doesn't want to be. He is labeled as crazy and a detriment to society. I think they modify him anyway against his will. and then it turns out that it was all for nothing, he was right all along that it wasn't necessary. Ill edit if I can find the title.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It's taking more time to find relevant news... April 16, 2011 New leaks..."We want to determine the origin and contain the leak, but I must admit that tracking it down is difficult," he said.

Radioactivity rises in sea off Japan nuclear plant
MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press
Updated 08:59 a.m., Saturday, April 16, 2011

(Page 1 of 2)

TOKYO (AP) — Levels of radioactivity have risen sharply in seawater near a tsunami-crippled nuclear plant in northern Japan, signaling the possibility of new leaks at the facility, the government said Saturday.

The announcement came after a magnitude-5.9 earthquake jolted Japan on Saturday morning, hours after the country's nuclear safety agency ordered plant operators to beef up their quake preparedness systems to prevent a recurrence of the nuclear crisis.

But the government said Saturday that radioactivity in the seawater has risen again in recent days. The level of radioactive iodine-131 spiked to 6,500 times the legal limit, according to samples taken Friday, up from 1,100 times the limit in samples taken the day before. Levels of cesium-134 and cesium-137 rose nearly fourfold. The increased levels are still far below those recorded earlier this month before the initial leak was plugged.

The new rise in radioactivity could have been caused by the installation Friday of steel panels intended to contain radiation that may have temporarily stirred up stagnant waste in the area, Hidehiko Nishiyama of the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency told reporters. However, the increase in iodine-131, which has a relatively short eight-day half life, could signal the possibility of a new leak, he said.

"We want to determine the origin and contain the leak, but I must admit that tracking it down is difficult," he said.

Read more: www.timesunion.com...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
For anyone still not sure about the credibility of TEPCO maybe you should watch this youtube video where the usual TEPCO suspects are brought to task by a couple of people asking some pointed questions ... it shows just how incredibly gauche they really are (as if we didn't already know) it would only be
if it wasn't so

SOURCE; 'Slap to TEPCO: see this' by LaTouffe
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This video was uploaded to YouTube on the 4th April 2011 by 'ayanuhito'
www.youtube.com...

Could someone help me embed this video please (never done it before)
Woody

edit on 16-4-2011 by woodwytch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Smoke rises from control panel at TEPCO nuclear plant in Niigata

Smoke rose briefly from a control panel at a nuclear power plant in Niigata Prefecture on the Sea of Japan coast Saturday, the operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.

No one was injured in the 7:45 p.m. incident that occurred during the checking of water purification equipment at the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear complex, the company said, adding it has yet to determine the cause.

The utility is currently battling to bring the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant under control.

Fail.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

Granted these are hotspots and there are some areas that are below the IAEA limit but without everyone having a permanently attached dosimeter and 24/7 monitoring of land contamination every 50 meters or so that land will be uninhabitable.

If I lived in japan I would be wearing a dosimeter as part of standard equipment, thats prudent and not very invasive.

What pisses me off more than anything is that TEPCO continues to downplay the whole thing as if they spilled a glass of milk and nothing more.

sigh .. what do you people want? Do you want Tepco to mirror all the hysteria here? How exactly will that help?

Lets say Tepco comes out today and says: "This is the worst disaster the world has ever known, northern Japan will be uninhabitable for 100 years, more than 200,000 new cases of cancer will be experienced over the next 15 years, all food should be suspect, stay inside on rainy/windy days, we are sorry we screwed up japan.

HOW will that help? and will you people be satisfied? How about if the UN (or some other body) took over the management of the disaster? I am betting most of the negative comments would continue.

I love reading hard facts, and think thats a useful purpose to the thread, but jumping on every statement, every action, every reaction, and every silence just makes it look silly.

edit on 16-4-2011 by bitbytebit because: toned it down

edit on 16-4-2011 by bitbytebit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

Don't you think everyone deserves the truth ... cold-hard facts from the people who are in charge (note I say 'in charge' not 'in control' ... very different beasts) of the situation (TEPCO) ... or at least to the best of their ability ?

Because 'bitbytebit', if you think that's what they are already giving us then you seriously need to remove the blinkers ... and if you know they are not giving us the true / full details then I have to ask ... why would you think that's acceptable.

The points you make in your post actually back-up the need for them to be honest with everyone ... because what people don't 'know' for fact ... people will indeed draw their own conclusions ... and yes ... quite often those conclusions can be wrong.

Watch the video in the link I provided in my previous post and tell me with a straight face that you still back TEPCO.

Woody

top topics

<< 719  720  721    723  724  725 >>

join